PDA

View Full Version : More Games in London? Goodell Is Killing This League

SteelStang
10-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Why on Earth does this guy insist on more games in London let alone the fact he thinks a franchise would work there??? This is one sport that I do NOT want to see go global. There is a reason that the two teams who play in London each year have their bye week right after. Can you imagine the fatigue of playing in London then having to come back and play again on Sunday in the future? And please Mr. Rooney, now that you are in Ireland, do not suggest the Steelers play over there....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/10/23/london.ap/index.html?eref=sircrc

fansince'76
10-23-2009, 12:35 PM
Wish shithead would worry more about whether there's going to actually be a 2011 season rather than expansion at this point.

Steelboy84
10-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Cause he's crazy. This is AMERICAN football, not European soccer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jmat
10-23-2009, 12:48 PM
I'm not at all a fan of NFL games being played overseas.

They probably find American football as dull as I find their futball.

Christian Snyder
10-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Why on Earth does this guy insist on more games in London let alone the fact he thinks a franchise would work there??? This is one sport that I do NOT want to see go global. There is a reason that the two teams who play in London each year have their bye week right after. Can you imagine the fatigue of playing in London then having to come back and play again on Sunday in the future? And please Mr. Rooney, now that you are in Ireland, do not suggest the Steelers play over there....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/10/23/london.ap/index.html?eref=sircrc Because he's an idiot!!!!:banging:

RoethlisBURGHer
10-23-2009, 12:50 PM
I really don't like this.

An NFL team permanently located in London? Yeah, can't wait for that....NOT!

Goodell needs to focus on making sure there is a 2011 season for the NFL.

Edman
10-23-2009, 01:16 PM
It's all about the money. Goofell is looking for the quick buck in his pocket. Why do the hard work and negotiate a new bargaining agreement for 2011 when you can focus on the short-lived novelty of American Football in the UK? While pushing his pet team in the process?

KeiselPower99
10-23-2009, 03:11 PM
So great we our gonna outsource our football to Uk? BullShit!!!!!

4xSBChamps
10-23-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm not at all a fan of NFL games being played overseas.

They probably find American football as dull as I find their futball.

being in central Foriduh, I read the Tampa Tribune, and the St. Pete Times everyday, and with the Yuccaneers playing in jolly ol' England this weekend, it is being reported that there isn't much interest in this game (even-with Marcia headlining), and that they do find American football boring.

Is it possible that Mr. Jane Skinner wants a team in England, so that when Los Mexicos rejoins the League, it'll stay at an even (34) number of teams?
:noidea:

Godfather
10-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Let's just have preseason games overseas.

Seahawks-Raiders in Japan, Chargers-Cardinals and Cowboys-Texans in Mexico, Dolphins-Saints in Havana when the Beard dies, Eagles-Jets in London, Steelers-Skins in Dublin, Lions-Bills in Toronto, etc.

Plus, if you're going to expand the season and do neutral site games, why not show some love for American cities? San Antonio, Birmingham, Orlando. Memphis, Los Angeles, Oklahoma City, etc.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
10-23-2009, 08:54 PM
the guy is a freaking wh*re he ain't no different than a politician. :mad:

global sports is nothing but bull*shit

MasterOfPuppets
10-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Let's just have preseason games overseas.

Seahawks-Raiders in Japan, Chargers-Cardinals and Cowboys-Texans in Mexico, Dolphins-Saints in Havana when the Beard dies, Eagles-Jets in London, Steelers-Skins in Dublin, Lions-Bills in Toronto, etc.

Plus, if you're going to expand the season and do neutral site games, why not show some love for American cities? San Antonio, Birmingham, Orlando. Memphis, Los Angeles, Oklahoma City, etc.
while i think that would be a great idea....if they did do it they should have the games in states that don't already have teams ,or in places where the closest pro stadium is a good distance away... birmingham and oklahoma city would be great choices. maybe a game in morgantown wv ..(closest stadium to me :chuckle: )

BlastFurnace
10-23-2009, 09:56 PM
This is our game...keep it in America.

Let them have soccer and the riot to follow.

Goodell will ruin this league...just like the NBA was ruined.

Preacher
10-23-2009, 11:45 PM
NFL in Europe is a GREAT IDEA... 25 years ago when we had hundreds of thousands of young, male servicemen sitting on the west-German border.

Today? Not so much.

KeiselPower99
10-24-2009, 12:19 AM
Goodell has more important things to worry about then expanding to Europe. We need a new CBA before February. He has the LA mess to deal with. Plus handing out fines for bs reasons. A team in Europe will ruin the NFL.

Ravnet
10-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Imagine a San Diego - London trip.

Anyway, would they really support a team in England? Wasn't NFL Europe basically NFL Germany in its final years? How about the Munich Jaguars instead, Roger?

Ravnet
10-24-2009, 05:29 PM

That idea would serve the interests of the NFL much better than a Pittsburgh/Washington game in Ireland. . .

X-Terminator
10-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Yep, Roger Goodell and Gary Bettman are long, lost brothers, in that they are both doing their damndest to ruin their respective leagues. Most here probably don't follow hockey, but Bettman wants to do the same thing in the NHL...despite half the teams being awash in red ink and having one team basically playing a lame-duck season in their city (Phoenix).

How about fixing the problems with the league first, Roger? You know, that whole CBA thing that only expires NEXT YEAR?

BlastFurnace
10-24-2009, 06:33 PM
I can' imagine that no FA's would sign with anyone over there and players drafted by a team in Europe would jettison out of there the first chance they got.

Goodell sucks.

MasterOfPuppets
10-24-2009, 06:50 PM
all it would take is a couple hundred thousand fans threatening to boycott all things nfl if he continues this stupid crap...:noidea:

Ravnet
10-25-2009, 03:03 AM
I can' imagine that no FA's would sign with anyone over there and players drafted by a team in Europe would jettison out of there the first chance they got.

Goodell sucks.

This isn't to say that Europe is an undesirable locale, just that playing all the way over in London would be such a hassle in terms of travel.

If a player doesn't come from the east coast, then we're talking about 6 - 10 hours of travel time, which is pretty absurd.

Steelboy84
10-25-2009, 08:46 AM
This is our game...keep it in America.

Let them have soccer and the riot to follow.

Goodell will ruin this league...just like the NBA was ruined.

:applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit:

WH
10-25-2009, 09:47 AM
I've read people bitching about this on other sites and the biggest gripe is losing that precious home game. That's the only one I can agree with. The other gripes, IMO, make some people look like complete selfish idiotic Americans who know nothing about Europe, the people that live there, or how BIG the market is in Europe for sports of any kind, they just bitch just to bitch.

Looks like I'm the only person here that thinks 1/2 of his idea is a good one. Which is multiple games in Europe. Having 1 game a week in a different city in Europe would be a great idea. Only if they expand the games per team to 17 or 18 though.

Then all teams get to keep their 8 home games, Goodell and all the Owners (including our beloved Rooney's) get their Euro-Cash, and we ALL get 1 more week of meaningful football.

Preseason games overseas would be a terrible idea. Why would anyone ever pay a full ticket price to see NFL stars for 1 series....oh....wait....NFL fans already do this, sadly.

theplatypus
10-25-2009, 09:54 AM
Didn't the team owners vote in favor of this?

Ravnet
10-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Looks like I'm the only person here that thinks 1/2 of his idea is a good one. Which is multiple games in Europe. Having 1 game a week in a different city in Europe would be a great idea. Only if they expand the games per team to 17 or 18 though.

I would be perfectly fine with having multiple games in Europe, but the travel time involved with a London based team is a bit insane.

Cheppy
10-25-2009, 05:40 PM
I hate Goodell. Hate him.

MasterOfPuppets
10-25-2009, 05:42 PM
I've read people bitching about this on other sites and the biggest gripe is losing that precious home game. That's the only one I can agree with. The other gripes, IMO, make some people look like complete selfish idiotic Americans who know nothing about Europe, the people that live there, or how BIG the market is in Europe for sports of any kind, they just bitch just to bitch.

Then all teams get to keep their 8 home games, Goodell and all the Owners (including our beloved Rooney's) get their Euro-Cash, and we ALL get 1 more week of meaningful football.

Preseason games overseas would be a terrible idea. Why would anyone ever pay a full ticket price to see NFL stars for 1 series....oh....wait....NFL fans already do this, sadly.

could you explain why NFL europe was a failure ? i thought it was because of lack of interest ....:noidea:

SteelersMongol
10-25-2009, 10:12 PM
Imagine a San Diego - London trip...

I was just reading the other day Seahawks & Cheaters were actually planning 2 play in Beijing.

This isn't to say that Europe is an undesirable locale, just that playing all the way over in London would be such a hassle in terms of travel.

If a player doesn't come from the east coast, then we're talking about 6 - 10 hours of travel time, which is pretty absurd.

From the states 2 Europe is actually not that bad compared 2 trip 2 Asia.

:thumbsup: :hatsoff:

could you explain why NFL europe was a failure ? i thought it was because of lack of interest ....:noidea:

2 me, back in the days of NFL Europa, the games over there were more like a experiencing lab, then meaningful games. Besides of 6 teams, if 5 of em were located in Germany how's it going 2 attract the whole European market?

MasterOfPuppets
10-25-2009, 10:36 PM
I was just reading the other day Seahawks & Cheaters were actually planning 2 play in Beijing.

From the states 2 Europe is actually not that bad compared 2 trip 2 Asia.

:thumbsup: :hatsoff:

2 me, back in the days of NFL Europa, the games over there were more like a experiencing lab, then meaningful games. Besides of 6 teams, if 5 of em were located in Germany how's it going 2 attract the whole European market?
enfland had 2 teams....

By the end of the 1997 season, the league was growing concerned that their markets outside of Germany were not living up to their potential. Radical changes were made to the two British teams, spelling the beginning of the end for one. The London Monarchs would become the England Monarchs, switch their colours from blue, gold and red to red, white and black, and play their home games in London, Birmingham and Bristol. The league had been unhappy with the Monarchs as it was, since the field at their London stadium, White Hart Lane, was only 93 yards long - nowhere near enough to hold a full 100 yards and two ten-yard endzones. Also, the Scottish Claymores would divide their schedule between Edinburgh and Glasgow. Then, at a press conference in San Diego, California, during Super Bowl XXXII weekend, the league announced it too would be changing: the league would be rebranded as the NFL Europe League.

Ravnet
10-26-2009, 12:43 PM

The NFL would get a lot more love in Germany than Britain. . .

If I remember correctly, all the Spanish/English/Scottish/French teams were folding while the German clubs were actually attracting more and more fans every year.

Gaist
10-26-2009, 02:11 PM
The only good thing about this is that it shows that the Patriots can continue their dominance overseas.

fansince'76
10-26-2009, 02:14 PM
The only good thing about this is that it shows that the Patriots can continue their dominance overseas.

The same Pats* team that hasn't "won" dick in almost 5 years now? :coffee:

steelreserve
10-26-2009, 02:38 PM
Playing regular-season games overseas is flat-out stupid. Not only because of the travel, but because someone gets rooked out of a "home" game and only plays 7 games in their own stadium. (Does it come as a shock to you that the Bucs got shafted this time, not the Patriots?)

If you have to have a semi-important game in another country, you ought to just rotate the fricking Pro Bowl among London, Tokyo and Mexico City or wherever. That game was practically tailor-made for that. And I bet the players would enjoy a trip abroad more than a trip to Miami or wherever the hell they're planning on moving it after next year.

Of course since that would actually make sense, and since Goodell is the commissioner, I guess you can pretty much rule THAT plan out.

sherlock
10-28-2009, 01:58 PM

The thing is MOP,is that the last 3 games at Wembley have been the real deal whereas NFL Europe was of a lower standard.
I mean the 85,000 tickets for Wembley sold out in 6 freakin` minutes.
Personally, I hate the idea that Bucs fans lost out on a home game but an extra game added to the season would surely be the answer to that.
As you said there`s no doubt countless places in the States that would love to hold an NFL game as well as Europe,Asia,Australasia etc......hell play a game in the Antarctic,American Football deserves to be a global game.

T&B fan
10-28-2009, 02:13 PM
on last weeks CBS pregame Goodell was on talking about this and he said he tryed to get the Steelers to play overseas but Cower said no way everytime .

now who's plan did Goodell fly on to get to that game sunday hhhhmmm ??. his pal Kraft ...???

4xSBChamps
10-28-2009, 02:35 PM
..... (Goodell) said he tryed to get the Steelers to play overseas but Cower said no way everytime .

with the Rooney family now Ambassadors to Ireland (correct?), I can imagine that 'IF' 'em Stillers ever-play across the pond, it'll be there.

The_WARDen
10-28-2009, 03:09 PM
The same Pats* team that hasn't "won" dick in almost 5 years now? :coffee:

well, I think Brady may have won plenty of that.

The Patriot
10-28-2009, 04:21 PM
well, I think Brady may have won plenty of that.

Oh snap! Other Warden nails it! :chuckle:

steelreserve
10-28-2009, 06:15 PM

Hey, I know -- you can have the Raiders! Hardly anyone shows up to watch their games here, so that'd take care of two problems at once!

The thing is MOP,is that the last 3 games at Wembley have been the real deal whereas NFL Europe was of a lower standard.

... oh, wait. I must've skipped over that part. I guess it wouldn't work with the Raiders after all.

SteelersMongol
10-29-2009, 12:51 PM
Playing regular-season games overseas is flat-out stupid. Not only because of the travel, but because someone gets rooked out of a "home" game and only plays 7 games in their own stadium. (Does it come as a shock to you that the Bucs got shafted this time, not the Patriots?)

If you have to have a semi-important game in another country, you ought to just rotate the fricking Pro Bowl among London, Tokyo and Mexico City or wherever. That game was practically tailor-made for that. And I bet the players would enjoy a trip abroad more than a trip to Miami or wherever the hell they're planning on moving it after next year.

Of course since that would actually make sense, and since Goodell is the commissioner, I guess you can pretty much rule THAT plan out.

The next 2 games will B back in Hawaii 4 sure.

Personally, I hate the idea that Bucs fans lost out on a home game but an extra game added to the season would surely be the answer to that.
As you said there`s no doubt countless places in the States that would love to hold an NFL game as well as Europe,Asia,Australasia etc......hell play a game in the Antarctic,American Football deserves to be a global game.

THANK U!!! :hatsoff: :applaudit: :hug:

Steelstralia
10-30-2009, 02:49 AM
i was actually hoping they would do steelers vs philly @ the new rugby league stadium they got in melbourne someday, i just hate it how alot of people here only like the game for the fact that some Ex-AFL players end up becoming punters in the NFL (not that i'm trying to sound un-australian, i'm just stating the fact of their bland mentality in sport), and as for the english finding american football boring, i can say the same about their rugby union game, thank god america improved that drag of a game into something epic like american football, and peoples excuse to bash on it is always about the pads and starts-stoppages, how about the actual gameplay? anyway, if england doesn't like it then goodell should open up his eyes and realise so, i'd much rather they keep it in the U.S. if the intern. series would make the NFL broke, look what happened to NFL Europe.

WH
11-02-2009, 09:30 AM

The NFL Europe wasn't a failure, really. most of it's teams had a steady to growing attendance every year. But they NFL folded it so it wouldn't conflict with Goodell's current venture into bring the actual NFL into Europe, instead of the practice squad overflow.