PDA

View Full Version : Steelers replace parts of grass at Heinz Field

Steelboy84
10-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers are replacing some of Heinz Field's grass only three games into the season.

Workers tore up the areas between the hash marks and put down new grass this week, in time for the South Florida-Pitt game on Saturday and the Vikings-Steelers game on Sunday.

The Steelers returned to playing on an all-grass field this season because it allows them to re-sod any area that becomes worn. Some bare spots in the middle of the field were noticeable during the Browns-Steelers game on Sunday.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4586743

Cool. :-)

:tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :drink: :drink:

GeneralRobinson
10-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers are replacing some of Heinz Field's grass only three games into the season.

Workers tore up the areas between the hash marks and put down new grass this week, in time for the South Florida-Pitt game on Saturday and the Vikings-Steelers game on Sunday.

The Steelers returned to playing on an all-grass field this season because it allows them to re-sod any area that becomes worn. Some bare spots in the middle of the field were noticeable during the Browns-Steelers game on Sunday.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4586743

Cool. :-)

:tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :drink: :drink:

Heinz Field may not be an idyllic sight to look at, but this article paints an unfair picture in my opinon. This season, I have seen a number of fields with bare spots despite only being a few games into the season. Kansas City, Tennesee, Carolina, Oakland, and Washington come to mind. I don't see any AP articles about them. Despite the bare spots, which weren't all that bad btw, I saw no players slipping or having footing issues in the Cleveland game. Santonio's catch and run on a comeback route in the second quarter which resulted in a 40 yard gain is an example of that. In spite of having hosted 3 college games and 3 pro games, the field looks good. Resodding will hopefully maintain and improve the integrity of the field and ensure a high quality of play.

Fire Haley
10-23-2009, 08:11 PM
He's a mudder.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/0103/nfl_g_ward_600.jpg

theplatypus
10-23-2009, 08:26 PM
Heinz Field may not be an idyllic sight to look at, but this article paints an unfair picture in my opinon. This season, I have seen a number of fields with bare spots despite only being a few games into the season. Kansas City, Tennesee, Carolina, Oakland, and Washington come to mind. I don't see any AP articles about them. Despite the bare spots, which weren't all that bad btw, I saw no players slipping or having footing issues in the Cleveland game. Santonio's catch and run on a comeback route in the second quarter which resulted in a 40 yard gain is an example of that. In spite of having hosted 3 college games and 3 pro games, the field looks good. Resodding will hopefully maintain and improve the integrity of the field and ensure a high quality of play.

WTF? Are you really trying to find some sort of media bias towards the Steelers here?

tony hipchest
10-23-2009, 08:31 PM
i just heard that this coming sunday, they are gonna re-sod it with brett favre.

HometownGal
10-23-2009, 09:37 PM
I love Pitt, but I wish the Panthers would build themselves a freakin' new stadium and stay off of the HF grass. :banging:

LVSteelersfan
10-23-2009, 10:11 PM
What about those stadiums where you have to play on a baseball infield? That is much worse than playing on bad grass. How stupid can some people be? Resodding is a GOOD thing as long as it is done right and on time.

Steelboy84
10-23-2009, 10:55 PM
I love Pitt, but I wish the Panthers would build themselves a freakin' new stadium and stay off of the HF grass. :banging:

Yea, I'm sure all that money they rake in from tuition should cover it. :chuckle:

7willBheaven
10-24-2009, 11:48 AM
I dont mind Pitt playing there as much as the HS teams later in the year...THAT they need to stop...no offense to the kids who play in those games, but still.

steeltheone
10-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Willie Parker lost a lot of yards because of a bad surface .

Fire Haley
10-24-2009, 12:22 PM
I'm watching the Pitt, USF game - the field looks a pretty green between the hashes - looks like rain coming too.

OneForTheToe
10-24-2009, 01:02 PM
I say the same thing here I say every year when this comes up, if you didn't want to share the stadium with Pitt and the kids you shouldn't have used the multi-use argument when trying to sell tax payers on the new stadium.

OneForTheToe
10-24-2009, 01:30 PM
I'm watching the Pitt, USF game - the field looks a pretty green between the hashes - looks like rain coming too.

Yes, it does look pretty good at the moment.

HometownGal
10-24-2009, 05:18 PM
I say the same thing here I say every year when this comes up, if you didn't want to share the stadium with Pitt and the kids you shouldn't have used the multi-use argument when trying to sell tax payers on the new stadium.

Unfortunately with regard to your statement - the majority of Pittsburghers voted NO to the new stadiums in a special vote on election day. We felt Pittsburgh didn't need two new stadiums and didn't want to foot the bill while the city still owed $30 million on TRS. TRS was great for football - much better than HF imho. :thumbsup:

OneForTheToe
10-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Unfortunately with regard to your statement - the majority of Pittsburghers voted NO to the new stadiums in a special vote on election day. We felt Pittsburgh didn't need two new stadiums and didn't want to foot the bill while the city still owed $30 million on TRS. TRS was great for football - much better than HF imho. :thumbsup:

Yes I agree, but I was just pointing out that when the funding for the stadium was finally "approved," Dan Rooney had been touting the fact that Pitt would share the stadium and that the high school teams would be welcome. I guess credit to the Rooney's for not trying to weasel out of those commitments to the High School Championships, which is really not surprising, of course.

In the end I am glad we got Heinz Field, even if I didn't like the process. Nostalgia aside, no way the Steelers sign Ben, Troy, ect, without the revenue from a new stadium. Revenue sharing is one thing, but there is still some income source from stadiums that are not shared (naming rights, for one). One could argue for refurbishing of TRS, but not sure how feasible that would have been. In any case we would all root for the Steelers if they played on a sandlot so maybe it matters little at this point.:tt04: