PDA

View Full Version : Blackouts coming to Cleveland?

Fire Haley
10-24-2009, 04:15 PM
Browns fans demand a refund.

Ha Ha!

you'll be cryin' when they become the L.A Browns

TV Brown-out? As season drags on, NFL's TV blackout rule becoming more likely for Cleveland: NFL Insider

http://media.cleveland.com/browns_impact/photo/brownsfanstbjpg-fa1d361225bbec66_medium.jpg

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Four of the last five Browns home games are not sold out, including a Monday night affair against the rival Baltimore Ravens.

It's quite possible the Browns will experience the first local TV blackout since their rebirth in 1999. And there may be more than one.

The Browns averted a blackout for the Detroit preseason when they teamed with partner WKYC Channel 3 to absorb the cost of unsold seats. Tickets also were slashed by 50 percent for that practice game.

There will be no major markdowns for regular-season games, a club official confirmed.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/10/tv_brown-out_as_season_drags_o.html

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
10-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Browns fans demand a refund.

Ha Ha!

you'll be cryin' when they become the L.A Browns]

The NFL will forever lose my business and my respect if that happens.

fansince'76
10-24-2009, 06:14 PM
If any team is moving to L.A., it will be the Jags. Now that's a team that gets next to no support locally.

MasterOfPuppets
10-24-2009, 06:21 PM
The NFL will forever lose my business and my respect if that happens.
look on the bright side.....no more ugly brown clothing...:thumbsup:

Edman
10-24-2009, 06:35 PM
The Browns have reached Pirates-level irrelevance in Cleveland.

BadBradz24
10-24-2009, 08:42 PM
hell yea get rid of the clowns !!!!

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
10-24-2009, 09:03 PM
look on the bright side.....no more ugly brown clothing...:thumbsup:

I love orange and brown, and I have tons of Browns stuff in those colors.

Love them. Reminds me of fall and football. Best uniforms in the history of sports were the orange pants and brown jerseys.

http://www3.myfantasyleague.com/fflnetdynamic2009/27476_franchise_icon0002.jpg

besides I didn't pick my team because of their colors. I picked them because they're from Cleveland my team.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
10-24-2009, 09:07 PM

Nein.

Cavs season is starting, we're expecting to contend for a championship and the Tribe are looking for a new manager, all of these things should be dominating the story lines of sports talk..

The Browns get the lead on the news STILL, they're talked about 90% of the time on talk radio and are still on the cover of the sports page. This is Browns town still, despite the recent surge of bandwagon steeler fans that have come out of the woodwork since 2004, the Browns still own the city.

Jmat
10-24-2009, 09:25 PM

No way. No even those cesspool loving Stains are at Pirate level irrelevance yet. Incompetence yes, irrelevance not for a while yet.

At least the Pirates are the best at being the worst. Pittsburgh isn't the City of Champions for nothing.

MasterOfPuppets
10-24-2009, 09:37 PM
I love orange and brown, and I have tons of Browns stuff in those colors.

Love them. Reminds me of fall and football.

reminds me of the days after drinkin beer and eatin hot wings.....:poop: .....:chuckle:

AllD
10-24-2009, 09:54 PM
The Rams, Jags, and Browns are all unsupported and play at about the same level, although JAX is showing some pulse. IF you combined all three teams you might have a .500 winner from cherry picking players.

Maybe the Browns should move to New York where they could have a friendlier fan base or stay in Cleveland and change their name to the Cleveland Cribbs.

T&B fan
10-24-2009, 10:07 PM
LA should not have a team they had 2 and pissed them away .

RoethlisBURGHer
10-24-2009, 11:01 PM
LA should not have a team they had 2 and pissed them away .

Los Angeles has had three teams total.

For one year (1960), the Chargers resided in LA.

They have had the Raiders and the Rams also.

Los Angeles cannot support a football team. Too many people live there with ties to other cities.

Otherwise you have people who have jumped on the bandwagon of the Chargers (who are all now jumping off).

You have the fair weather and the die-hard 49er fans.

And then you have the thugs and die-hard Raider fans.

Seriously, California doesn't need a fourth team.

As for possible blackouts. Do you really blame Browns fans if they don't want to watch a team that might win three games at best. I can see the Browns possibly beating the Raiders and the Lions.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
10-24-2009, 11:06 PM
The Rams, Jags, and Browns are all unsupported and play at about the same level, although JAX is showing some pulse. IF you combined all three teams you might have a .500 winner from cherry picking players.

Maybe the Browns should move to New York where they could have a friendlier fan base or stay in Cleveland and change their name to the Cleveland Cribbs.

Unsupported?

I've been buying Brown stuff and watched every single game since they've came back. Also sat through one of the worst football games of all time against the Houston Texans in the freezing cold in the nose bleed seats of the Dawg Pound.

Pardon me for coming off as rude, but.

Kiss my ass.

KeiselPower99
10-24-2009, 11:48 PM
The Browns have a awesome fan base. Jacksonville and St Louis are some of the worst markets for football.

Galax Steeler
10-25-2009, 06:26 AM
The Browns don't need to go to LA that is two automatic wins for us a year.:chuckle:

xfl2001fan
10-25-2009, 06:45 AM

Friendlier fan base? Since 1999 we have fielded one of the worst franchises in the NFL. Period. And yet, this is the first sign of a blackout (in a troubled economy). It isn't even a given that there will be a blackout, only that we haven't sold our end of year tickets this early in the season.

Friendlier fan base? Puhleeze. You don't get anymore loyal than a Browns fan. Browns backers is one of the largest football organizations worldwide. It's not our fault Pittsburgh has so many bandwagon jumpers. Browns fans have been loyal for life. Let Pittsburgh go 10 years with only one playoff appearance and see just how "friendly" your real fans are.

Fire Haley
10-25-2009, 09:39 AM
The Browns don't need to go to LA that is two automatic wins for us a year.:chuckle:

That is the correct answer.

Ravnet
10-25-2009, 02:08 PM
The Rams, Jags, and Browns are all unsupported

How can you possibly lump Jacksonville and Cleveland together when discussing fanbases?

Jmat
11-01-2009, 08:45 PM

After reading some post game comments out of Cleveland this evening, you are closer to right.

There is a mutiny developing and the fans are in as much chaos as the team.
Mangini was a terrible hire by Randy Lerner.

NEPAsteeler
11-01-2009, 10:29 PM
If any team is moving to L.A., it will be the Jags. Now that's a team that gets next to no support locally.

The sad part is that the Jags aren't totally ba... Yet, they're still only averaging about 45,000 people a game. :noidea:

I feel terrible for fans that stick with their teams no matter what when there's teams like the Jags who only has fans that show up when they feel like it and don't realize how fortunate they are to have an NFL team in their city.

steelreserve
11-02-2009, 03:35 PM

No! Please, take the Raiders instead. Then at least they wouldn't black out the national game(s) every week here. And maybe they could even keep the A's in town by getting rid of that idiotic Mount Davis that ruined the stadium.

steelreserve
11-02-2009, 03:38 PM
The sad part is that the Jags aren't totally ba... Yet, they're still only averaging about 45,000 people a game. :noidea:

I feel terrible for fans that stick with their teams no matter what when there's teams like the Jags who only has fans that show up when they feel like it and don't realize how fortunate they are to have an NFL team in their city.

Except for the Dolphins, Florida sports teams are all the equivalent of tract housing. No history and tradition, no one grew up with them, no one's even from there to begin with. They're all there artificially to make money, and everybody knows it, and there's not much to be excited about unless they're contending for a championship. It's no surprise at all to see that happen.

revefsreleets
11-02-2009, 03:45 PM
And that's no more evident than when observing their completely fluid college allegiances....a Hurricanes fan when the the gettins good, then a Seminole the next year, then a Gator the next and so on and so forth....

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-02-2009, 05:50 PM
The funny thing would be if the City of Cleveland didnt support the Browns and they ended up relocating somewhere else, but then got an expansion franchise when the NFL added another couple teams. :rofl:

Nah........probably never gonna happen. :rolleyes:

stlrtruck
11-03-2009, 07:17 AM
And that's no more evident than when observing their completely fluid college allegiances....a Hurricanes fan when the the gettins good, then a Seminole the next year, then a Gator the next and so on and so forth....

Not in this state. Here college football rules and their devotion to their teams are as significant as their families. While USF Bulls fans may waiver back and forth those 'Canes, Seminoles, and Gator fans rarely - if ever - flow back and forth.

revefsreleets
11-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Not in this state. Here college football rules and their devotion to their teams are as significant as their families. While USF Bulls fans may waiver back and forth those 'Canes, Seminoles, and Gator fans rarely - if ever - flow back and forth.

Not for the transplants, and there are a LOT of transplants. They flipped around with the NFL teams, too. When I left in 2001 there were almost no Jags fans (although there were plenty just a couple years prior when they were winning), but lot's of Bucs fans as they were on the rise and plenty of Fins fans because they were posting winning records.

stlrtruck
11-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Not for the transplants, and there are a LOT of transplants. They flipped around with the NFL teams, too. When I left in 2001 there were almost no Jags fans (although there were plenty just a couple years prior when they were winning), but lot's of Bucs fans as they were on the rise and plenty of Fins fans because they were posting winning records.

I've been here 10 years and I will admit that they do not support the NFL teams with 100% enthusiasm - especially when losing is more commonplace than winning.

However, in those same 10 years I've seen more people get blatantly disrespectful and near fighting because of a conversation over the 'Canes, 'Noles, and/or Gators. And that includes the transplants. What's funny about the transplants is they usually become fans of whichever FL college team is atop the polls, then after a few years (in recent years the Gators) of being on top, their allegiance is well known and then they get called out if they try to "change"

revefsreleets
11-03-2009, 02:57 PM
That's what I was saying....

I came in as a lifelong Buckeyes fan, and walked out of there the same. The only team I followed was UCF, and they were:

A) Local
B) Not a power at all (although Dante Culpepper changed that a BIT)
C) My wife at the time went there