PDA

View Full Version : Tony's Restaurant prepares to feed Pittsburgh Steelers

mesaSteeler
10-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Tony's Restaurant prepares to feed Pittsburgh Steelers
Home Savings and Loan Co.
By LOU WILIN
http://www.thecourier.com/Issues/2009/Oct/24/ar_news_102409_story2.asp?d=102409_story2,2009,Oct ,24&c=n
STAFF WRITER

After Ben Roethlisberger and the Pittsburgh Steelers wage pigskin war with the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday, they will pig out on ribs from Tony's Restaurant in Findlay.

Ten people, including Tony's employees and friends, will head for Heinz Field in Pittsburgh on Sunday morning with 270 pounds of ribs, 170 pounds of chicken, bratwurst, hot dogs, broccoli salad, potato salad and baked beans. Oh, and lots of the cookies-and-cream pudding dessert which is Roethlisberger's favorite, Tony's owner Tom Brown said.

The food will be carried to Pittsburgh in a refrigerated truck. The convoy will include a pickup pulling a trailer full of kitchen supplies and equipment, pans, work tables, food warmers, cords, knives, forks, spoons, baskets for rolls, buckets of water and the ever-critical barbecue sauce. A van will pull six cookers.

In short, it will be provisions for 200 people.

An appetite for Tony's food is the only thing Roethlisberger, the Steelers' quarterback, has spread more widely among teammates than touchdown passes.

Steelers' left tackle Max Starks, who measures 6-foot-8 and 345 pounds, phoned in the catering request this week to Tony's. Starks and other offensive linemen have been treated to Tony's food when visiting Findlay with Roethlisberger, a Findlay High School graduate.

Starks also had Tony's cater his wedding rehearsal last June in Columbus. That was after Tony's catered a party for Roethlisberger, Tom Brown said.

But even among those heady occasions, Sunday in the parking lot of Heinz Field will be special, Brown said.

"I've always wanted to do that before I retire: Feed the team," Brown said.

Tony's fans need not worry the restaurant will be calling it quits soon. Brown just meant he considers Sunday a career day.

It also will be a huge day for Tony's assistant manager and decades-long Steelers fan Connie Tagliapietra.

"It's going to be awesome because we actually will be around the players," Tagliapietra said.

At first she was questionable for Sunday. She was scheduled to work at the restaurant.

"I told my boss, if I wasn't going (to Pittsburgh), I was quitting," she said, laughing. She found a co-worker, a Browns fan, to fill in for her at the restaurant. So she will be seeing the Steelers, after all.

"Ben is the top of my list ... and then, next to him is (safety Troy) Polamalu and then (wide receiver) Hines Ward and (tight end) Heath Miller," she said.

Tagliapietra also hopes to watch some of the game. The Tony's crew will not start cooking until the fourth quarter.

Save for the distinctive customers, the job would be routine. Tony's takes its fare on the road more than 20 times per year to rib-offs, parties and meetings, Brown said. Two hundred people is an average number of people to feed, Tagliapietra said.

But nobody questions it will be a big deal.

"We're just overwhelmed to be able to go and cook for the team," she said. "It's the opportunity of a lifetime."

Wilin: 419-427-8413,

Send an e-mail to Lou Wilin

Subscribe to The Courier.

HometownGal
10-24-2009, 07:49 PM
I hate ribs :yuck: but the rest of the feast sounds yummy! :yummy: Here's hoping the boyz will be celebrating a win while they stuff their faces post-game! :hope: :tt02:

Vincent
10-24-2009, 07:52 PM
That's just plain nice. Thanks for posting.

Dinner for 200. Mmmm. Wonder if the Vikings will be joining. :drink: That would be splendid.

http://www.tonysrestaurantfindlay.com/

They have the "Big Ben Burger", a pounder big enough for two, for $7. Add cheese for 7 cents more. Is this a great country or what?!

HometownGal
10-24-2009, 08:07 PM

Dinner for 200. Mmmm. Wonder if the Vikings will be joining. :drink: That would be splendid.

They have the "Big Ben Burger", a pounder big enough for two, for $7. Add cheese for 7 cents more. Is this a great country or what?!

WOW - this place has quite the selective menu! :thumbsup: If I'm ever out that way, I know where I'm going to eat! :yummy:

The Vikes will be too preoccupied after the game crying in their soup - also catered by Tony. :thumbsup::tt03:

Shoes
10-24-2009, 08:11 PM

That is cool!

fansince'76
10-24-2009, 08:36 PM

Yep, that one's a definite artery-clogger. Sounds good, though. :drool:

devilsdancefloor
10-24-2009, 08:44 PM
mmmm ribbsss!

AllD
10-24-2009, 09:58 PM
mmmmm baby backs...get in my belly!

Galax Steeler
10-25-2009, 06:05 AM
I wonder if I can get a job with Tony's real quick,I will be a cook for a day.

Steelboy84
10-25-2009, 07:48 AM
That sounds real good.

Angus Burgher
10-25-2009, 08:02 AM
Haha, so Ben has another sandwich named after him. Have any of you ever attempted to eat a Roethlisburger? Now THAT is an artery clogger. It's good, but after I ate one I think I was full for about a week.

Steelboy84
10-25-2009, 08:08 AM
Haha, so Ben has another sandwich named after him. Have any of you ever attempted to eat a Roethlisburger? Now THAT is an artery clogger. It's good, but after I ate one I think I was full for about a week.

lol

Dude your name owns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!