PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Jeff Reed Hater Thread

Rick5895
10-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Not only is Reed an embarrasment to the Steelers off the field, but that effort on Harvin was disgusting. Bye week after this game I say we audition kickers and find a kicker that actually gives an effort then CUT REED!!!!!!!!!

The Duke
10-25-2009, 03:05 PM
Yeah, let's do that!!!

:coffee:

HometownGal
10-25-2009, 03:09 PM
Oh SHUT THE F UP. He wasn't the only one who missed tackling Harvin.

Not only is Reed an embarrasment to the Steelers

And YOU are an embarrassment to Steelers fans.

The Duke
10-25-2009, 03:11 PM
cut william gay while you're at it

Yeah,, let's do that too!!

let's just play some random guys off the street

lol, I'm an NFL GM, I'm so cool :coffee:

Pittsburghfan
10-25-2009, 03:13 PM
Can we cut Hines as well? Too old. :coffee:

steelergirl07
10-25-2009, 03:16 PM
Go away

Steelman16
10-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Yeah, you'll be singing a different tune when our "new kicker" misses two extra points in a game and we lose by that margin.

Loser.

GBMelBlount
10-25-2009, 03:19 PM
I just lost the little respect I had for Reed.

He looked like a complete p*ussy on that play.

Christian Snyder
10-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Not only is Reed an embarrasment to the Steelers off the field, but that effort on Harvin was disgusting. Bye week after this game I say we audition kickers and find a kicker that actually gives an effort then CUT REED!!!!!!!!! What a BRILLIANT idea!!!!:toofunny::banging::doh:

LVSteelersfan
10-25-2009, 03:22 PM
If he could kick the darn ball to the 5 or the end zone that play never would have happened. I have been saying it all year and I will keep saying it that he kills us on field position all the time. Did you see Minnesota's kicker? He actually kicks the ball to the goal line giving us only soso field position. Would people please quit defending this idiot. He will be gone by next year.

HometownGal
10-25-2009, 03:23 PM
I just lost the little respect I had for Reed.

He looked like a complete p*ussy on that play.

Did you lose respect for him when he kicked those 2 FG's that helped us win the game?

Yes - he should have at least made the attempt to tackle Harvin, but there were at least 6 other guys who could have tackled him and couldn't.

OneForTheToe
10-25-2009, 03:23 PM
Geez... I have been ok with not extending Jeff with his salary demands, but it is idiotic to get rid of the guy in the middle of the season. He is still money on field goals in clutch situations. I do wonder if Sep can kick off though. I'm not saying the return this week or last were Jeff's fault. However, clearly we are not good a kick coverage. We need to do something.

HometownGal
10-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Would people please quit defending this idiot. He will be gone by next year.

I'm going to keep on defending him because he still is CLUTCH with his foot. So - he's a bonehead off the field and didn't attempt to tackle Harvin when he could have made the effort, but as I've said numerous times, there were other guys who could have tackled him (or made the effort) but blew their coverages.

Typical fickle Steelers scapegoater. :rolleyes:

P.S. He WILL be a Steeler next season.

devilsdancefloor
10-25-2009, 03:26 PM
BTW we won!

ricksteelers55
10-25-2009, 03:27 PM
I thought he was soft on the KR TD but really wasnt the only one to blame on that play.

But I dont think he will be back next year.He's a sure shot,but his salary demands and off-fields activites will make him history

Steelboy84
10-25-2009, 03:27 PM
Not only is Reed an embarrasment to the Steelers off the field, but that effort on Harvin was disgusting. Bye week after this game I say we audition kickers and find a kicker that actually gives an effort then CUT REED!!!!!!!!!

Are you serious? As many clutch kicks as this dude has made for us?

MasterOfPuppets
10-25-2009, 03:28 PM
reed just needed a lil liquid courage is all:chug: ... he's a bad ass when he's drunk...:alcoholic

and reed wasn't the ONLY one today with a piss poor tackling effort. it was going on all over the field.

HometownGal
I took the liberty of changing the title based on some of the absolutely idiotic comments in this thread.

BritishSteel
His 'tackle' sucked, but why give him static for it and ignore the fact that the other 10 players on the field who's job it actually was to tackle couldn't put a hand on Harvin between them?

HometownGal
10-25-2009, 03:29 PM
BTW we won!

With some of the comments around here - are you sure?

fansince'76
10-25-2009, 03:29 PM
How quickly people forget the likes of Kris Brown and Todd Peterson....

Rick5895
10-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Oh SHUT THE F UP. He wasn't the only one who missed tackling Harvin.

And YOU are an embarrassment to Steelers fans.

Really, interesting, Reed is a kicker, his kicks are always returned, he cost us the game against the Bears, but his off field antics going back to last season are not what the Steelers stand for. I am a true fan and regard the off field actions by the team as serious as the on field ones. Every one gets a free pass on a mistake , we all make them, but Reed keeps making them (spitting at a cop and resisting arrest, as I am in law enforcement this bothers me somewhat) and that really poor effort on Harvins kick return is the last straw for me. Make an effort, there was no effort there on that return and it damned near cost us, I do agree with you though that others missed tackles on that play, but Reed had the best opportunity to make a tackle, even though he is a kicker he still has to make tackles, he does play football after all.. Thankfully Taylor tipped the ball and Fox was there.
We won that is the important thing but the only reason Reed played this week was because he was the only kicker. Last year we deactivated Holmes for off field conduct. Enough is enough especially for a kicker. Just my opinion.

ricksteelers55
10-25-2009, 03:30 PM
His 'tackle' sucked, but why give him static for it and ignore the fact that the other 10 players on the field who's job it actually was to tackle couldn't put a hand on Harvin between them?

Yup...last week we gave one to Josh Cribbs and it had nothing to do with the drunk man

Edman
10-25-2009, 03:31 PM
Yes, how dare a kicker fail to make a tackle on a kick return! Especilly when that is the job of the other 10 guys!

The Kicker should never have to make a tackle on a return. The special teams squad is letting the team down again.

GBMelBlount
10-25-2009, 03:32 PM
Did you lose respect for him when he kicked those 2 FG's that helped us win the game?

Yes - he should have at least made the attempt to tackle Harvin, but there were at least 6 other guys who could have tackled him and couldn't.

1. Having no respect for him is an opinion I am entitled to.

2. As you know, I can't stand people who don't try. He looked like a girl on that play and I called him on it. I am as disgusted as much with his lack of effort as the result.

1. is my opinion.

2. is a valid observation.

I really don't see the relevance of your rebuttal. :noidea:

solardave
10-25-2009, 03:33 PM

I liked my idea better but it got taken down. We don't cut him. Next year we begin a competition for a kicker. Simple as that. But for now kick him you know where.

HometownGal
10-25-2009, 03:34 PM
1. Having no respect for him is an opinion I am entitled to.

2. As you know, I can't stand people who don't try. He looked like a girl on that play and I called him on it. I am as disgusted as much with the lack of effort as the result.

1. is my opinion.

2. is a valid point.

I really don't see the relevance of your rebuttal. :noidea:

1. You are entitled to your opinion just as I am entitled to mine. Thank You.

2. As you know, I can't stand people who nitpick, scapegoat and bitch and moan after a freakin' WIN!!!!

1. Did you lose respect for the other 10 players on the field who didn't tackle Harvin?

2. It is a valid point.

:drink:

LVSteelersfan
Really, interesting, Reed is a kicker, his kicks are always returned, he cost us the game against the Bears, but his off field antics going back to last season are not what the Steelers stand for. I am a true fan and regard the off field actions by the team as serious as the on field ones. Every one gets a free pass on a mistake , we all make them, but Reed keeps making them (spitting at a cop and resisting arrest, as I am in law enforcement this bothers me somewhat) and that really poor effort on Harvins kick return is the last straw for me. Make an effort, there was no effort there on that return and it damned near cost us, I do agree with you though that others missed tackles on that play, but Reed had the best opportunity to make a tackle, even though he is a kicker he still has to make tackles, he does play football after all.. Thankfully Taylor tipped the ball and Fox was there.
We won that is the important thing but the only reason Reed played this week was because he was the only kicker. Last year we deactivated Holmes for off field conduct. Enough is enough especially for a kicker. Just my opinion.

Thank you for your comments. I agree wholeheartedly. Enough is enough. I suppose people still think he is worth that 3 million dollar contract.

Nadroj 20
Yes, how dare a kicker fail to make a tackle on a kick return! Especilly when that is the job of the other 10 guys!

The Kicker should never have to make a tackle on a return. The special teams squad is letting the team down again.

I agree but it was a sad attempt thats what upsets me the most, your right reed should have never had the chance to tackle him but it came down to it and he should at least attempt to make the tackle better.....i dont care if he tried and got his ass ran over at least there would have been effort

AllD
In Reed's defense, there was an uncalled blatant hold and block in the back on the run back. However, he should have attacked Harvin like he was a towel dispenser that had to urinate.

Nadroj 20
10-25-2009, 03:36 PM
In Reed's defense, there was an uncalled blatant hold and block in the back on the run back. However, he should have attacked Harvin like he was a towel dispenser that had to urinate.

LOL :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

MasterOfPuppets
10-25-2009, 03:37 PM
I liked my idea better but it got taken down. We don't cut him. Next year we begin a competition for a kicker. Simple as that. But for now kick him you know where. ok...from this moment on reed is cut per your request.....:toofunny:

oops...wrong quote...oh well

MillerMania83
10-25-2009, 03:38 PM
Just my 2 cents, I've always been a HUGE Jeff Reed fan, I even have him in my Fantasy league, but cmon man, what's up with him....The guy is clutch when ya need that field goal, NO DOUBT, but with his actions off the field and his TERRIBLE kick offs, man, the writing might be on the wall for him....The guy needs to have a SERIOUS 'gut check' IMO and really needs to get his head on straight and get focused on what the main objective is for the team, WINNING....That effort on that return was DISGUSTING, his kick offs to the 15-20yd line DON'T CUT IT in the NFL, just the facts OK....But the fact that he's been so darn clutch for us with his field goals over the years, is probably the only reason he still has a job in Pittsburgh....I'm not saying get rid of him, cuz many of ya's are right, the first time the "new guy" misses an easy kick or extra point, we'd be wishing he was still here, but IMO the guy needs to look in the mirror right now and REALLY LOOK take a serious look.

Carolina Steelers
10-25-2009, 03:38 PM
Reed should have made more of an effort I agree but hes not paid to tackle hes paid to kick and hes the best kicker weve had in awhile

HometownGal
10-25-2009, 03:40 PM
Reed should have made more of an effort I agree but hes not paid to tackle hes paid to kick and hes the best kicker weve had in awhile

A-freakin'-men. :applaudit:

devilsdancefloor
10-25-2009, 03:41 PM
With some of the comments around here - are you sure?

Well i have almost ok i have come to expect it here no matter win or lose.

Nadroj 20
10-25-2009, 03:42 PM
In no way do i hate Jeff Reed idk why this thread really exists all im talking about is one play i thought he should have tried harder.....i cant hate somebody after one bad play

SteelersFever
10-25-2009, 03:44 PM
We all know kickers are whimps so you can't be mad! :rofl: I know there are rare exceptions to the position so don't go throwing names in my face.

Reed is not one so let it go. :popcorn:

AllD
10-25-2009, 03:47 PM
Reed is eccentric like most good kickers are. He has a shelf life and is closer to the end than the beginning of his career. He might be following Leftwich out of town.

OneForTheToe
10-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Roy Gerela would have capped his *ss. .................
.................................................. ...............................
.................................................. ...........................not.:rofl:

X-Terminator
10-25-2009, 03:51 PM
For all of you typical fickle Steelers fans in this thread...Jeff Reed should NOT have even had to make that tackle. If the other players on the team could cover and tackle worth a damn, Harvin never gets to him.

But go ahead and blame Reed if you want.

mulldog24
10-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Personnally I'm not gonna kick on Reed after all that he has done for us. He had a bad effort on a tackle but he was 100% today on field goals so let Tomlin give him a little talk and I think he will do better after the bye week. After all DUDE IS CLUTCH!!!!!!

BlastFurnace
10-25-2009, 03:59 PM
Roy Gerela would have capped his *ss. .................
.................................................. ...............................
.................................................. ...........................not.:rofl:

Roy Gerela would have also missed 2 FG's today. That guy stunk.

redst3
10-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Look I dont want to cut him in mid-year but that was a very unmanly attempted "tackle." I feel that after being a Steelers fan for like 35 years I can say that....Yeah, I still want him to do well but that was pretty sad

redst3
10-25-2009, 04:11 PM
For all of you typical fickle Steelers fans in this thread...Jeff Reed should NOT have even had to make that tackle. If the other players on the team could cover and tackle worth a damn, Harvin never gets to him.

But go ahead and blame Reed if you want.

point well taken but he could have thrown his body at the guy and gotten help. Anyway, its all good baby we woonnnn!:tt02:

memphissteelergirl
10-25-2009, 04:36 PM
reed wasn't the ONLY one today with a piss poor tackling effort. it was going on all over the field.

Thank You!!

Reed looked pitiful on that play, yes, but he's won more games for us than he lost, so the bonehead who started this thread needs to cut him some slack. And I will grant you he acts like a friggin' aging frat-boy, and I hope and pray he gets his act together on that, but the fact remains he has been a solid performer for this team.

So I'm with HTG....just STFU!!

redst3
10-25-2009, 04:44 PM
Next time, Reed should imagine he is going after a towel dispenser. That should do the trick! :chuckle:

Burghfan58
10-25-2009, 04:57 PM
What I havn't seen mentioned in this thread is the fact that Reed can't seem to get his kickoffs any deeper than the 10 yard line. I'm not sure if that is by design( trying for more heighth on the ball) or he's lost distance for other reasons. I beleive Reed will be forced to take less money than what he originally wanted because of his off field antics. Wether:tt04: that money comes from the Steelers or elsewhere remains to be seen.

Psyychoward86
10-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Cut Troy, shame on him for not getting 3 interceptions in 3 games :coffee:

GBMelBlount
10-25-2009, 05:10 PM

2. As you know, I can't stand people who nitpick, scapegoat and bitch and moan after a freakin' WIN!!!!

1. Did you lose respect for the other 10 players on the field who didn't tackle Harvin?

2. It is a valid point.

Nit pick? I made one factual observation. :doh:

MACH1
10-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Can we cut Hines as well? Too old. :coffee:

Well, he did drop one....:popcorn:

solardave
10-25-2009, 05:19 PM
I'm going to keep on defending him because he still is CLUTCH with his foot. So - he's a bonehead off the field and didn't attempt to tackle Harvin when he could have made the effort, but as I've said numerous times, there were other guys who could have tackled him (or made the effort) but blew their coverages.

If Ben (our prize QB) can make that tackle against the Colts Reed should have made a better effort. And no that doesn't excuse Patrick Bailey,or Mike Wallace who gave up on the play. However-it started with Reed. It was a complete screw up on everyone STer out there.

solardave
10-25-2009, 05:21 PM
ok...from this moment on reed is cut per your request.....:toofunny:

oops...wrong quote...oh well

I said----kick him in the ass. Not cut him!!! I'm not crazy.

Preacher
10-25-2009, 05:24 PM
I'll tell you all this much... JOHN KUHN would have made that tackle!!

MACH1
10-25-2009, 05:27 PM

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

:buttkick:

solardave
10-25-2009, 05:28 PM

Oh sure drag him in here.:chuckle:

Jmat
10-25-2009, 05:52 PM
I am a true fan.

Why do people say they are true fans? We are all true or real fans There is no such thing as a false fan.
Everyone roots for the Steelers in their own way whether anyone else agrees with them or not.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
10-25-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm not going to say cut Jeff Reed, but I think it's fair to say this should be his last season with the team for several reasons. And it's not the fact that he missed the tackle, it's how he gave the effort. If he would have dove at his legs I would've been happier.

Christian Snyder
10-25-2009, 06:01 PM
Cut Troy, shame on him for not getting 3 interceptions in 3 games :coffee: Yes, let's also cut Hampton because he didn't sack Brett Favre 5 times.:chuckle:

X-Terminator
10-25-2009, 06:10 PM
I'm not going to say cut Jeff Reed, but I think it's fair to say this should be his last season with the team for several reasons. And it's not the fact that he missed the tackle, it's how he gave the effort. If he would have dove at his legs I would've been happier.

He still should not have been in that position. Don't know why it's so hard for you guys to understand that.

Nadroj 20
10-25-2009, 06:14 PM
He still should not have been in that position. Don't know why it's so hard for you guys to understand that.

The fact is he WAS in that position and the effort was poor.....i love reed but his effort was pathetic during THAT play.

X-Terminator
10-25-2009, 06:21 PM
The fact is he WAS in that position and the effort was poor.....i love reed but his effort was pathetic during THAT play.

It doesn't matter. Kickers don't get paid to tackle. That's what the other guys are for. They do their jobs, and Reed isn't put in that position. But as usual, people want something to complain about.

T&B fan
10-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Geez... I have been ok with not extending Jeff with his salary demands, but it is idiotic to get rid of the guy in the middle of the season. He is still money on field goals in clutch situations. I do wonder if Sep can kick off though. I'm not saying the return this week or last were Jeff's fault. However, clearly we are not good a kick coverage. We need to do something.

what you say CLUTCH.. yea if he would have made the kicks that he missed a few weeks back then you can have CLUTCH .

reed just needed a lil liquid courage is all:chug: ... he's a bad ass when he's drunk...:alcoholic

and reed wasn't the ONLY one today with a piss poor tackling effort. it was going on all over the field.
funny stuff :rofl:

this is true .

now on his big $$ that is gone . I like Jeff hope we keep him for a few more yrs at the right price . and if he misses 10 more tackles I still keep him ( for kicking ) thats his job .if he could tackle then he could get some more cash . but we pay him to kick .

Nadroj 20
10-25-2009, 06:23 PM
It doesn't matter. Kickers don't get paid to tackle. That's what the other guys are for. They do their jobs, and Reed isn't put in that position. But as usual, people want something to complain about.

Ok you are 100 percent right but all that aside do you think he made a good attempt at making the tackle?

If yes then thats your opinion ok

If no then your agreeing with my point which it was a poor effort

unlike some people though im not ready to string him up and burn him at the stake for one bad effort...

X-Terminator
10-25-2009, 06:26 PM
Ok you are 100 percent right but all that aside do you think he made a good attempt at making the tackle?

If yes then thats your opinion ok

If no then your agreeing with my point which it was a poor effort

unlike some people though im not ready to string him up and burn him at the stake for one bad effort...

Dude, I'm a realist. I don't EXPECT a kicker to make more of an effort than that, because as I said, that's not his job. I've seen way WORSE efforts than that, but I don't recall anyone getting their panties in a wad over it.

Nadroj 20
10-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Dude, I'm a realist. I don't EXPECT a kicker to make more of an effort than that, because as I said, that's not his job. I've seen way WORSE efforts than that, but I don't recall anyone getting their panties in a wad over it.

Ok dude whatever.....kickers are football players too and i think we as fans deserve a better attempt thats all im saying

I have also seen nice tackles from kickers as well

Im not arguing with you we both like the same team just different opinions on this topic

Like i said i do not have a problem with Jeff Reed.

MasterOfPuppets
10-25-2009, 06:37 PM
It doesn't matter. Kickers don't get paid to tackle. That's what the other guys are for. They do their jobs, and Reed isn't put in that position. But as usual, people want something to complain about.x t....your fighting a losing battle here...your best bet is to just let the boneheads punch themselves out...:popcorn:

Preacher
10-25-2009, 06:37 PM
Ok dude whatever.....kickers are football players too and i think we as fans deserve a better attempt thats all im saying

Im not arguing with you we both like the same team just different opinions on this topic

With all due respect, I am not sure us fans are due anything. The Rooney's who pay his salary may be due more. Tomlin whose job depends on the team winning may be due more. But I don't think fans are due anything.

Nadroj 20
10-25-2009, 06:40 PM
With all due respect, I am not sure us fans are due anything. The Rooney's who pay his salary may be due more. Tomlin whose job depends on the team winning may be due more. But I don't think fans are due anything.

Then do it for them im not one of these mindless whiners that do not know what they are talking about....the effort was poor

Nadroj 20
10-25-2009, 06:41 PM
x t....your fighting a losing battle here...your best bet is to just let the boneheads punch themselves out...:popcorn:

Im not a bonehead all im saying is it was a poor effort and i agree with all of X-T's points idk how anybody can watch that play and not think it wasnt a good effort thats all im saying!!!

I like Jeff Reed and have no problem with him.

NEPAsteeler
10-25-2009, 06:43 PM
Yes. Cut Reed. Hell... cut Hines (way too old), cut Ben (holds onto the ball too long), cut the entire o-line (give up too many sacks), etc... etc... etc...

:doh: :coffee:

X-Terminator
10-25-2009, 06:48 PM

The fans don't deserve a damn thing. Rooting for a team as successful as the Steelers is a privilege, because we sure as hell could be fans of the Lions, Titans, Chiefs, Raiders, Rams, Bucs and Browns right now.

The bottom line is it is not his job to tackle returners, he should not be expected to tackle returners and it is up to the other 10 guys on ST to make sure that he does NOT have to be forced to attempt to make a tackle on a returner. Expecting anything other than that is needless bitching. Sorry.

Nadroj 20
10-25-2009, 06:49 PM
The fans don't deserve a damn thing. Rooting for a team as successful as the Steelers is a privilege, because we sure as hell could be fans of the Lions, Titans, Chiefs, Raiders, Rams, Bucs and Browns right now.

The bottom line is it is not his job to tackle returners, he should not be expected to tackle returners and it is up to the other 10 guys on ST to make sure that he does NOT have to be forced to attempt to make a tackle on a returner. Expecting anything other than that is needless bitching. Sorry.

Ok im sorry i thought my opinion would be respected.

X-Terminator
10-25-2009, 06:49 PM
x t....your fighting a losing battle here...your best bet is to just let the boneheads punch themselves out...:popcorn:

Yeah, but my points aren't just for him, but for everyone else trying to make a mountain out of this molehill. But I should have known better. :banging:

billybob
10-25-2009, 06:50 PM

Wrong there Preach , Fans pay for the tickets that pays the players , and coaches . Thought you knew that the money comes from fans . A lot of it anyway .
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

X-Terminator
10-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Ok im sorry i thought my opinion would be respected.

Your opinion is fine. I just vehemently disagree. That's all.

Nadroj 20
10-25-2009, 06:55 PM
Your opinion is fine. I just vehemently disagree. That's all.

But now im considered a mindless whiner that doesnt know what hes talking about and i didnt think it would come to that while just stating facts.

X-Terminator
10-25-2009, 06:59 PM
But now im considered a mindless whiner that doesnt know what hes talking about and i didnt think it would come to that while just stating facts.

Who called you a mindless whiner? I just said bitching about this is pointless...which in my opinion it is.

Nadroj 20
10-25-2009, 07:03 PM
Who called you a mindless whiner? I just said bitching about this is pointless...which in my opinion it is.

Bonehead was the term but i just said mindless whiner becasue ive heard it on here about people

Nadroj 20
10-25-2009, 07:04 PM
Im done lol i was just saying what i thought i dont want to be on anyones bad side lol

GO STEELERS

stb_steeler
10-25-2009, 07:13 PM
I took the liberty of changing the title based on some of the absolutely idiotic comments in this thread.

Good idea, change the thread to!!!!!!!!!

BlackAndGold4Ever
10-25-2009, 07:17 PM
I aint mad at Jeff. Hes a f-ing kicker nuff said. Hey BTW we won!

Preacher
10-25-2009, 07:20 PM
Wrong there Preach , Fans pay for the tickets that pays the players , and coaches . Thought you knew that the money comes from fans . A lot of it anyway .

If we don't like it. We can stop spending our money on it.

We ain't due anything.

yinzer-inseattle
10-25-2009, 07:33 PM
Nobody ever said Reed was Norm Johnson. Norm would have laid Harvin out like a Turkish rug.

LVSteelersfan
10-25-2009, 07:48 PM
There are enough of us out here who think Jeff Reed is subpar as a kicker. I don't care what he did the past few years. He is pathetic this year. His kickoffs have to be somewhere in the bottom of the league on field position. He will only be re-signed if he takes a hometown discount. He sure as heck is not going to get more than a million dollars a year and he wants 3 million? Absurd.

X-Terminator
10-25-2009, 08:00 PM
There are enough of us out here who think Jeff Reed is subpar as a kicker. I don't care what he did the past few years. He is pathetic this year. His kickoffs have to be somewhere in the bottom of the league on field position. He will only be re-signed if he takes a hometown discount. He sure as heck is not going to get more than a million dollars a year and he wants 3 million? Absurd.

As far as I know, he's missed only 2 kicks all season. Don't think that's "pathetic." As far as his kickoffs are concerned, there aren't a whole lot of other kickers who consistently booms them out of the end zone either. I sure as hell didn't see Minnesota's kicker Longwell kicking them out of the end zone today, and he makes about as much money as Reed does. And as far as field position goes, he isn't the one who has allowed 2 returners to take kicks to the house in consecutive weeks.

Justin Otstott
10-25-2009, 08:14 PM
yeah we should just cut the whole team and sign some free agents....That number 7 guy just holds the ball too long I tell ya

HometownGal
10-25-2009, 08:17 PM
If we don't like it. We can stop spending our money on it.

We ain't due anything.

Bingo. :thumbsup: End of story.

HometownGal
10-25-2009, 08:22 PM
He will only be re-signed if he takes a hometown discount. He sure as heck is not going to get more than a million dollars a year and he wants 3 million? Absurd.

:rolleyes: Did your crystal ball tell you that?

http://www.premiersouthrealty.com/xSites/Agents/premiererealtors/Content/UploadedFiles/crystal%20ball.jpg

PolamaluPower
10-25-2009, 08:50 PM
I do think Reed needs to give more effort...on and off the field.

ricksteelers55
10-25-2009, 09:36 PM

or Isaac Redman

mesaSteeler
10-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Vet Reed tries to boot troubles for Steelers
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_649857.html#
By Kevin Gorman
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, October 26, 2009

When the Steelers supported Jeff Reed after his second arrest in eight months, their kicker and team captain didn't want to disappoint their faith by missing a critical kick against the Minnesota Vikings.

Even if he admitted his off-field incident caused him to be distracted.

"I can't lie," Reed said Sunday. "It's been in my head all week."

Making field goals of 39 and 27 yards in the Steelers' 27-17 victory at Heinz Field didn't absolve Reed from the four charges stemming from an incident outside a North Shore bar a week earlier, but Reed said "it was very nice to get that under my belt."

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin decided not to suspend Reed for the Vikings game, and Reed said his teammates were supportive this week even if they did turn the tables on the team prankster by giving him grief.

"I'm a jokester, so a lot of guys were joking with me and, obviously, I don't think it's too funny," Reed said. "It's not like I just did something stupid. It's a major deal, and until it gets resolved, it will be."

What also bothered Reed is the Steelers allowed a kickoff return for a touchdown for the second consecutive game. And the timing couldn't have been much worse.

After outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley's 77-yard fumble return gave the Steelers a 20-10 lead with 6:23 left in the fourth quarter, Minnesota rookie Percy Harvin returned the ensuing kickoff 88 yards to make it 20-17.

"It's not good two weeks in a row," said Reed, referring to Cleveland's Josh Cribbs returning a kickoff 98 yards last week. "I can't sit here like I would if they scored once a year and say, 'They get paid, too.' It's not good enough."

Reed was the last line of defense, but admitted he was "indecisive" about which direction to take an angle on Harvin instead of forcing him to cut back inside. Reed tried to push Harvin out of bounds, but the Vikings receiver maintained his balance and ran clear to the end zone.

"We had all the momentum in the world, and that stadium was as loud as it could possibly be," Reed said, "and it all went downhill in 15 seconds."

Reed is thankful that Keyaron Fox saved the game by scoring on an interception return and that the Steelers have supported him in a time of trouble.

"You have to look past it," Reed said. "This organization gave me the opportunity to get back on the field because of the material they've been told, and I'm not going to let them down."

Kevin Gorman can be reached at kgorman@tribweb.com or 412-320-7812.

Merchant
10-25-2009, 11:35 PM
That was the p*ussiest play I've ever seen in my life. Kicker, Linebacker, Quarterback, it don't matter - You're still a FOOTBALL player. This is a contact sport. And if you're the last line of defense - the ONLY guy in a position to prevent a touchdown, and all you do is give the returner a pathetic little push, that is just sad and you're letting your team down.

Make Polamalu spend some one-on-one time with him doing tackling drills next practice lol.

LVSteelersfan
10-25-2009, 11:42 PM
What are you people talking about? There were two other players behind Reed that did not make the tackle either. Bottom line is Reed caused the run back because he gave it to him on a silver platter with a line drive kick to the 11 yard line that he caught running at full speed. Kick the darn ball to the goal line or at least inside the 5. He does this every single game.

Merchant
10-25-2009, 11:47 PM
Uh.. no. Reed was the last guy back and his little push slowed Harvin a little bit and allowed two other steeler players to get back but by then Harvin just had too much speed and too much open field.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-25-2009, 11:57 PM
Ah........I just find it funny that Reed is all gung ho to take on the cops or a towel dispenser, but when he has equipment on ..........he chooses to play 2 hand touch.

$3 million a season..........I dont think so.

X-Terminator
10-26-2009, 12:02 AM
Oh for God's sake, here we go again.

It is NOT Reed's job to tackle returners! It's the job of the other guys out there to make sure that Reed DOES NOT have to be the last line of defense! Why the hell is this so damn hard for you people to get through your heads?

X-Terminator
10-26-2009, 12:09 AM
What are you people talking about? There were two other players behind Reed that did not make the tackle either. Bottom line is Reed caused the run back because he gave it to him on a silver platter with a line drive kick to the 11 yard line that he caught running at full speed. Kick the darn ball to the goal line or at least inside the 5. He does this every single game.

Well then by that logic, explain how when Reed DID kick it to Cribbs at the TWO YARD LINE last week, he still returned it 98 yards for a TD? He did what you suggested, and it still didn't matter. Maybe because it's not Reed, but the coverage units that failed and should take the heat there? Nah, that couldn't be it, because that would actually require some thought, and besides, Reed is an easy target.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-26-2009, 12:10 AM
Oh for God's sake, here we go again.

It is NOT Reed's job to tackle returners! It's the job of the other guys out there to make sure that Reed DOES NOT have to be the last line of defense! Why the hell is this so damn hard for you people to get through your heads?

And its not Ben's job to tackle Gary Brackett in 2005 vs Indy.........but he is a football player and can tackle. All I would hope is that Reed could throw his 230lbs at a guys feet.

The sad thing is I bet 9 out of 10 Grammatica brothers would have fallen down and made Harvin trip over them.

fansince'76
10-26-2009, 12:12 AM
Well then by that logic, explain how when Reed DID kick it to Cribbs at the TWO YARD LINE last week, he still returned it 98 yards for a TD? He did what you suggested, and it still didn't matter. Maybe because it's not Reed, but the coverage units that failed and should take the heat there? Nah, that couldn't be it, because that would actually require some thought, and besides, Reed is an easy target.

Nope, still Reed's fault because he didn't boot it out of the back of the end zone! :chuckle:

X-Terminator
10-26-2009, 12:13 AM
Nevermind. What's the point? Reed sucks, let's get rid of him because he's a pansy.

Happy now?

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-26-2009, 12:15 AM
Nevermind. What's the point? Reed sucks, let's get rid of him because he's a pansy.

Happy now?

Not really. I prefer to think that because he wants too much money and is just a kicker that likes to get in the newspaper for the wrong reasons is the reason he will not be signed again next season. The pitiful attempt at getting in a returners way is just icing on the cake.

HometownGal
10-26-2009, 08:34 AM
Jeff Reed - Scapegoat Du Jour. :rolleyes:

Nadroj 20
10-26-2009, 08:38 AM
If he just stays out of the headlines and he continues to kick like we know he can then im fine with signing him back. I just do not know if we will pay him what he wants.

Jmat
10-26-2009, 08:42 AM
That was the p*ussiest play I've ever seen in my life. Kicker, Linebacker, Quarterback, it don't matter - You're still a FOOTBALL player. This is a contact sport. And if you're the last line of defense - the ONLY guy in a position to prevent a touchdown, and all you do is give the returner a pathetic little push, that is just sad and you're letting your team down.

Make Polamalu spend some one-on-one time with him doing tackling drills next practice lol.

You know Brett Favre didn't exactly kill himself trying to tackle Lamarr Woodley on the fumble return for his TD either but no one is saying a word about that.
I believe people are piling on Skippy because of his recent off field troubles. Percy Harvin was moving so fast up the field that Skippy didn't know what he wanted to do. Saying that however, I hope Skippy either really works on kicking the ball deeper into the EZ or working on at least trying to slow the returner down a little even when he misses the tackle so that the guys who get paid to make those plays can make them.

steel striker
10-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Look Reed is here to kick field goals and, he is not paid for tackling people. He made both FGs and, he should have pushed Harvin out of bounds. Plus we won the game so stop the Reed bashing. Trust me we willl need Jeff to make a few clutch kicks this year and, he will deliver.

Angus Burgher
10-26-2009, 09:23 AM
People always crap all over the kicker when he fails to make a tackle on a special teams play. However, if the other players on ST are actually doing their jobs, the kickoff returner shouldn't even get to that point. I'll admit, I was a little pissed at Reed for what appeared to be a half-assed effort to tackle Harvin, but ultimately, he's a great kicker and that's what's more important. Having a kicker who can tackle is a great thing, but it's more important to have a kicker who can, you know, kick. He made all of the field goals this game when we needed him to, as well as the extra points after the TDs. And he also kicked off well, regardless of what happened on the actual return. Sounds good enough to me.

Vincent
10-26-2009, 09:25 AM
Flog him!! :chuckle:

X-Terminator
10-26-2009, 09:30 AM
People always crap all over the kicker when he fails to make a tackle on a special teams play. However, if the other players on ST are actually doing their jobs, the kickoff returner shouldn't even get to that point. I'll admit, I was a little pissed at Reed for what appeared to be a half-assed effort to tackle Harvin, but ultimately, he's a great kicker and that's what's more important. Having a kicker who can tackle is a great thing, but it's more important to have a kicker who can, you know, kick. He made all of the field goals this game when we needed him to, as well as the extra points after the TDs. And he also kicked off well, regardless of what happened on the actual return. Sounds good enough to me.

The funny thing is - and this has already been mentioned - at least Reed made an attempt to tackle Harvin. Brett Favre didn't even do THAT on Woodley's fumble return TD. He just ran around like he was like he was in an episode of the Benny Hill Show. And I bet you there won't be one Vikings fan who will get on him for it.

The_WARDen
10-26-2009, 09:49 AM
just be careful what you wish for...Heinz field is a kicker's nightmare and for some reason, Reed has figured it out.

Letting him go could be an adventure in FGs.

Angus Burgher
10-26-2009, 10:32 AM
The funny thing is - and this has already been mentioned - at least Reed made an attempt to tackle Harvin. Brett Favre didn't even do THAT on Woodley's fumble return TD. He just ran around like he was like he was in an episode of the Benny Hill Show. And I bet you there won't be one Vikings fan who will get on him for it.

LOL, yeah, good point. You'd also never hear the douchebag commentators say a thing about it either. They harped on Reed over missing the tackle, but didn't say anything about Favre not even trying to get at Woodley.

And let's not forget that Harvin is tough and fast... Troy hit him earlier in the game and also didn't take him down. Reed could have dove at him and he still might have shaken him off.

zsheik22
10-26-2009, 10:46 AM

People act like the loss to the bears was the superbowl. Sure it sucked, but we'll be ok. Losses add some flavor to the season and as a fan, you cant expect to win every single game.

Skippy is a weirdo, but so are most kickers. Dying their hair, getting mohawks, jumping in celebration and tweaking their knees, etc etc.

OneForTheToe
10-26-2009, 11:06 AM

Well, in fairness to Favre, he was probably expecting the play to be called back by a penalty. I mean he is Lord Favre. Why are teams still permitted to intercept him let alone return the pick for a TD? Me thinks Goodell will be sending out a memo this week to all NFL officials.:coffee:

:flap:

dpc13
10-26-2009, 11:29 AM
At risk of sounding like a " public defender" , the shove by Reed appeared to be a futile attempt to shove the ball carrier out of bounds ! Did Reed not realize his position on the field made such a move almost impossible from so far from the bound-line ??

billybob
10-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Look Reed is here to kick field goals and, he is not paid for tackling people. He made both FGs and, he should have pushed Harvin out of bounds. Plus we won the game so stop the Reed bashing. Trust me we willl need Jeff to make a few clutch kicks this year and, he will deliver.

That is the lamest of all rebuffs i have read on this topic . Well , one of them anyway .Ben is paid to throw the football , but when the team needs you to make a play , you should at least make an effort . No matter what some of the retards on this board think , if you call Reeds attempt to just stand in his way an effort , i think you could stand to reevaluate your definition of what effort is .
Anyone with any knowledge of football knows the last line of defense on a kickoff is the kicker himself . He failed . He was not even blocked out of the play . If someone took him out , then that would be different . That is not the case , unless some of you guys watched a different game than i did .
Special teams sucked , and last i checked , he IS part of the special teams . If the weak legged S.O.B . could kick the ball in the endzone , we might not be having this conversation anyway .
I have always liked Reed , but he is pluckin on a lot of peoples nerves as of late .
At least Gary Anderson would have made a dive at him , and try to knock him out of bounds , i know because i saw him do it a couple of times . Even when he missed , he made the effort .
Scew it !! Reed failed at giving an effort , bottom line !
Argue all you want . Watch the replay . The tape does not lie .

cubanstogie
10-26-2009, 11:45 AM
That is the lamest of all rebuffs i have read on this topic . Well , one of them anyway .Ben is paid to throw the football , but when the team needs you to make a play , you should at least make an effort . No matter what some of the retards on this board think , if you call Reeds attempt to just stand in his way an effort , i think you could stand to reevaluate your definition of what effort is .
Anyone with any knowledge of football knows the last line of defense on a kickoff is the kicker himself . He failed . He was not even blocked out of the play . If someone took him out , then that would be different . That is not the case , unless some of you guys watched a different game than i did .
Special teams sucked , and last i checked , he IS part of the special teams . If the weak legged S.O.B . could kick the ball in the endzone , we might not be having this conversation anyway .
I have always liked Reed , but he is pluckin on a lot of peoples nerves as of late .
At least Gary Anderson would have made a dive at him , and try to knock him out of bounds , i know because i saw him do it a couple of times . Even when he missed , he made the effort .

I disagree 100 percent. I think Steel Strikers rebuff was spot on. You don't compare a kicker to anyone else but kickers. I don't see seabass, vinateiri, or nate kaeting doing any better. They are payed to number 1 make field goals and number 2 kick the ball in the endzone on kickoffs, which is Reeds weakness. Sure Reed looked like a fool, most of the time kickers trying to tackle an elusive special teams returner does. The kick returner is usually the quickest and fastest player on the field and the kicker is almost always the slowest and flat footed. Reed is one of the most clutch kickers in the league, and his teammates love him. Expecting a kicker to make a tackle is setting yourself up for a let down. If a kicker makes a tackle it is a bonus in my book. Should Reed be laughed at during films, and have some remedial training?YES, but cut so we can sign Vanderjagt no effing way.

Angus Burgher
10-26-2009, 11:47 AM

My God, you're right. Reed sucks. Lets replace him with James Harrison. I have no idea if he can kick, but he can tackle, and that's apparently much more important when you're a kicker.

plenewken
10-26-2009, 11:49 AM
I'm much more concerned about his piss-poor kick-offs than his abysmal effort on the return.
Looks like each time he kicks-off, the field is 120 yds long. WTF? I can't remember JR kicking a ball within 10 yards of the line, much less in the end zone.

Cutting him now? No way. Putting him in competition for the job next year? I would hope so.

Angus Burgher
10-26-2009, 11:52 AM
But didn't his kick-off (the one where Harvin ran it all the way back) land at the 12 or so? That's pretty good in my book, regardless of what happened afterward.

billybob
10-26-2009, 11:57 AM
I'm much more concerned about his piss-poor kick-offs than his abysmal effort on the return.
Looks like each time he kicks-off, the field is 120 yds long. WTF? I can't remember JR kicking a ball within 10 yards of the line, much less in the end zone.

Cutting him now? No way. Putting him in competition for the job next year? I would hope so.

Never said cut him . Find a post where i said that . Said he gave no effort . A good kicker should be able to hit the endzone if he chooses . He just ain't got the leg for it .He is where it all starts on special teams kicking unit ! Argue that .

plenewken
10-26-2009, 11:59 AM
But didn't his kick-off (the one where Harvin ran it all the way back) land at the 12 or so? That's pretty good in my book, regardless of what happened afterward.

If it's pretty good in your book, then your expectations are lower than mine. If at least he had a good hang time, so that our ST would be close to the returner when he catches it, that'd be fine, but not only his kick-offs are short but the returner is a good 10 yds away of the first tackler when he gets it.

plenewken
10-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Never said cut him . Find a post where i said that . Said he gave no effort . A good kicker should be able to hit the endzone if he chooses . He just ain't got the leg for it .He is where it all starts on special teams kicking unit ! Argue that .

What makes you think I was responding to you? <g>
And by the way, I wrote piss-poor kick-offs so I agree with you on this aspect.

Jmat
10-26-2009, 12:06 PM
I'd like to see anyone here attempt to tackle a kick returner who is moving at full speed while you are basically jogging down field after kicking off.
Things happen too damn fast and Reed or any kicker for that matter isn't prepared for it.

It's easy to criticize from the bar or your living room or your keyboard.

If any of you took notice Skippy's FG's were excellent yesterday.

cubanstogie
10-26-2009, 12:07 PM
it would be nice if Sepulveda could kick off. I am sure they have tried it in practice.

fansince'76
10-26-2009, 12:08 PM

If that's the case, how did Cribbs wind up with a 98-yard kickoff return last week?

BlastFurnace
10-26-2009, 12:28 PM
I'd like to see anyone here attempt to tackle a kick returner who is moving at full speed while you are basically jogging down field after kicking off.
Things happen too damn fast and Reed or any kicker for that matter isn't prepared for it.

It's easy to criticize from the bar or your living room or your keyboard.

If any of you took notice Skippy's FG's were excellent yesterday.

Agree. Reed is paid to kick for us and he does a great job at it for us.

He's not paid to tackle. That should have been taken care of long before it came to him.

plenewken
10-26-2009, 12:36 PM
If that's the case, how did Cribbs wind up with a 98-yard kickoff return last week?

Don't tell me Reed's kick-offs are good and help the team, puhleeze!
Check the stats on NFL.com. He's ranked 36th out of 40 in kicking. He sucks at it, plain and simple.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=KICKING&season=2009&seasonType=REG

plenewken
10-26-2009, 12:37 PM
Agree. Reed is paid to kick for us and he does a great job at it for us.

What??? He's terrible at it. The stats don't lie. 36th out of 40 is pathetic.

fansince'76
10-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Don't tell me Reed's kick-offs are good and help the team, puhleeze!
Check the stats on NFL.com. He's ranked 36th out of 40 in kicking. He sucks at it, plain and simple.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=KICKING&season=2009&seasonType=REG

No, you said he can't get it inside the ten-yard line, a 98-yard kickoff return indicates otherwise.

And if we show him the door and wind up with another Kris Brown or Todd Peterson, you'll probably be one of the ones bitching the loudest about it.

The_WARDen
10-26-2009, 12:47 PM

He ran backwards first???

plenewken
10-26-2009, 12:51 PM
No, you said he can't get it inside the ten-yard line, a 98-yard kickoff return indicates otherwise.

And if we show him the door and wind up with another Kris Brown or Todd Peterson,. you'll probably be one of the ones bitching the loudest about it.

Why do you grasp at straws? LOL
Yeah he kicked one last week which was returned 98 yds. One of these exceptions confirming the rule. Like I said, stats don't lie.
Let him kick FGs since he's good at it but KOs are a big weakness in his game. I wouldn't have a problem with that.
Plus if we don't resign him next year, I would expect the Front Office to pick someone with proven abilities.

Angus Burgher
10-26-2009, 01:37 PM
Okay, looked at the stats... fair enough, I guess he's not so good at it. Maybe they should let Sepulveda try it out, I don't know.

Jmat
10-26-2009, 01:48 PM
I was listening to Mike Logan on The Drive on ESPN radio and he said Mike Wallace was the real culprit on the KO return for the TD. He has outside contain on kickoffs and he ran past Harvin.

He also said that Reed could have done maybe a little more to get to Harvin but the other 10 guys are responsible for not putting the kicker in that situation.

Angus Burgher
10-26-2009, 01:53 PM
I really don't think you can pin this sort of thing on one guy. That's why there are so many people on the field. They failed collectively on that play. Maybe one guy blew it more than the rest of them, but that happens and that's why you need to be ready for it.

And I sure as hell am not going to call out Mike Wallace for this, even if it is his fault. The guy was on fire yesterday for the majority of the game.

oldschool
10-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Question, If this wasn't the last year of Reed's contract do you think he might have tried harder to make the tackle? Could he be afraid of risking an injury going into the FA market? Just a thought.

plenewken
10-26-2009, 02:07 PM
Okay, looked at the stats... fair enough, I guess he's not so good at it. Maybe they should let Sepulveda try it out, I don't know.

Yeah, maybe.
After our bye week, we play the Broncos and Eddie Royal isn't chopped liver when it comes to returning lousy kick-offs (and punts).. That's what makes me nervous. He returned 1 KO and 1 PT for 2 TDs against the Chargers last week. With our ST being vulnerable in coverage, we don't need short KOs to make it worse.

GeneralRobinson
10-26-2009, 02:27 PM
I was listening to Mike Logan on The Drive on ESPN radio and he said Mike Wallace was the real culprit on the KO return for the TD. He has outside contain on kickoffs and he ran past Harvin.

He also said that Reed could have done maybe a little more to get to Harvin but the other 10 guys are responsible for not putting the kicker in that situation.

Perception is reality. When you turn down a contract offer for more money, when you are cited for breaking the law twice in 10 months, and when you do not put forth maximum effort on the football field, it does not matter in the minds of the public that 10 other players did not prevent a return touchdown. The perception is that Reed will be the focal point of the blame, regardless of the reality.

As far as Logan's critique, Wallace may have made a mistake, but other players have to pick up their teammates. Reed had an opportunity to do so. He did not and compounded it by failing to put forth the effort.

In my opinion, paying Reed the extra money versus Colon or Clark is not worth it. The front office hopefully will find another quality kicker for 2010. Reed has been a clutch kicker in the past, but he will be kicking elsewhere next year.

TampaSteelerFan
10-26-2009, 02:40 PM
Jeff Reed's lame attempt at tackling Harvin was negated by Favre's attempts at tackling Woodley and Fox on their returns. Did anyone notice Favre's pathetic attempts to tackle those guys? It was hilarious!

stlrz fan
10-26-2009, 03:37 PM
I hope he is here next year. Develop some young talent but Rees is dead on in Heinz Field and (usually ) under pressure. He still has it in him to pull it out for us in big games. I hope that when he does get a contract we'll go back to the good old days when we could laugh watching him try to make tackles. I always respected his efforts in the past to at least try to stop a big return. Oh, and stay inside when he's hammered!!!

rich4eagle
10-26-2009, 03:42 PM
After yesterday's wave to stop the opponent from beating while making a million a year

me If I were Tomlin would release him today and tryout kickers who want to win games

Angus Burgher
10-26-2009, 03:45 PM
Yeah, maybe.
After our bye week, we play the Broncos and Eddie Royal isn't chopped liver when it comes to returning lousy kick-offs (and punts).. That's what makes me nervous. He returned 1 KO and 1 PT for 2 TDs against the Chargers last week. With our ST being vulnerable in coverage, we don't need short KOs to make it worse.

AWWW CRAP!!! I forgot about that, dammit! THAT is very unsettling to think that, after we've let two returners run back for TDs, we have to face a guy that did it twice in one game a week ago. Son of a bitch. Tomlin had better seriously evaluate special teams before they head to Denver.

Also, one thing that I do have to say here... though I don't think that you can pin all of the blame for the Vikes TD on Reed, Wallace or anyone else, I do have to say that Reed couldn't have picked a worse time to half-ass a tackle. He's already under heavy scrutiny for his recent legal troubles and apparent arrogance in contract negotiations. Yet he says that he's a leader of the team and wants to show that to the fans. Yet he has a chance to stop a TD, and he doesn't give it the full effort. He had to know that would come back to bite him in the ass in the eyes of the fans. Maybe he truly just wants out of Pittsburgh for some reason.

rich4eagle
10-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Perception is reality. When you turn down a contract offer for more money, when you are cited for breaking the law twice in 10 months, and when you do not put forth maximum effort on the football field, it does not matter in the minds of the public that 10 other players did not prevent a return touchdown. The perception is that Reed will be the focal point of the blame, regardless of the reality.

As far as Logan's critique, Wallace may have made a mistake, but other players have to pick up their teammates. Reed had an opportunity to do so. He did not and compounded it by failing to put forth the effort.

In my opinion, paying Reed the extra money versus Colon or Clark is not worth it. The front office hopefully will find another quality kicker for 2010. Reed has been a clutch kicker in the past, but he will be kicking elsewhere next year.

Great post my sentiments exactly:tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03:

steel striker
10-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Did we win the game? The answer is yes and, it is time to move on. I'm sure this is a week Reed would like to forget. Some of you guys are out of control and, need to settle down. We are 5-2 remember? Cut Reed have you lost your mind? I watched Czek the kicker in pre season and, he missed a few kicks. We need Jeff and, like I said before he will deliver. By the way I remember Gary Anderson and, did he ever make a tackle? That was hardly a good performance by the offense and special teams. The defense saved the day.

X-Terminator
10-26-2009, 06:28 PM

You call it "perception is reality"...I call it being a typical "what have you done for me lately" Steelers fan looking for someone to blame. Nevermind that it's not Reed's job to tackle returners, or that he shouldn't have been put in that position in the first place. No, it's all his fault. :coffee:

Sorry, but that's bullshit. His contract situation and his run-ins with the law should have absolutely NO bearing on a fan's viewpoint on this play. You need to look at it objectively, but I guess that's asking too much.

After yesterday's wave to stop the opponent from beating while making a million a year

me If I were Tomlin would release him today and tryout kickers who want to win games

Thank God you aren't, because that would be friggin stupid.

Unreal. And people have a nerve to get on my shit when I call Steelers fans fickle and fair-weathered?

Steelboy84
10-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Go away

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

billybob
10-26-2009, 08:10 PM
X-T , you can try all you want to convince some people you know what you are talking about , when in comes to the punting , kicking game .
The more you use the "kicker is not paid to tackle " line , the more you prove your knowledge of the game . That is a disgrace to die hard fans such as i , that probably been a fan before you were even born , or knew what football even was .
This is tackle football . His first job is to kick the ball in a strategic area of the field .
Once the ball is kicked , he automatically becomes the safety , so to speak . He is the last line of defense , if the returner breaks the wedge heading for a return score .
What part of that do you not understand ? Ya ever heard of a cross-body block ?
He gets paid to tackle , the same as Ben does . Ben is not a freakin running back either , but i see him running sometimes .
Reed is a safety on kick offs and you better get that through your thick head .
I am not a fair-weather fan either . I am a diehard that is still living .
Don't waste your time trying to convince those that know a little more than you obviously know about the return game . Reed was in the best position to make that play and he blew it . What more proof do you need ? Watch the film my man .

cubanstogie
10-26-2009, 08:16 PM
X-T , you can try all you want to convince some people you know what you are talking about , when in comes to the punting , kicking game .
The more you use the "kicker is not paid to tackle " line , the more you prove your knowledge of the game . That is a disgrace to die hard fans such as i , that probably been a fan before you were even born , or knew what football even was .
This is tackle football . His first job is to kick the ball in a strategic area of the field .
Once the ball is kicked , he automatically becomes the safety , so to speak . He is the last line of defense , if the returner breaks the wedge heading for a return score .
He gets paid to tackle , the same as Ben does . Ben is not a freakin running back either , but i see him running sometimes .
Don't waste your time trying to convince those that know a little more than you obviously know about the return game . Reed was in the best position to make that play and he blew it . What more proof do you need ? Watch the film my man .

A kicker is not paid to tackle! A kicker who can actually tackle is a luxury. how many times during a season does the average kicker make a tackle. My guess is a couple to a few at most. Kickers don't need to get hurt making a tackle, they need to get in the way so someone else can. Thats all you can really expect in my opinion.

billybob
10-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Running backs get paid to tackle too !!!!!!

billybob
10-26-2009, 08:25 PM
You guys are nuts . Everyone on that team is paid to tackle if the need so arises . That includes offensive lineman , qb's , punters , and kickers , running backs , everyone ! Even Reed ! Might not be the primary job , but it is in the job description , always has been , always will be too .

cubanstogie
10-26-2009, 08:35 PM
You guys are nuts . Everyone on that team is paid to tackle if the need so arises . That includes offensive lineman , qb's , punters , and kickers , running backs , everyone ! Even Reed ! Might not be the primary job , but it is in the job description , always has been , always will be too .

I am not trying to say that they should run off the field after the kick, I just don't think when a kicker is drafted or signed their tackling ability is given one ioda into consideration. It is a luxury. With that said, sundays attempt was an embarrassment. I just choose to think it is pretty much the norm when a fast elusive player is running full speed at a slow, unathletic pansy.

billybob
10-26-2009, 08:36 PM
I forget his name , but did you see the Vike chasing down the return on the interception . I guess o-lineman are paid to tackle , but punters and kickers are not .
Kickers are paid to make kicks and field goals only ?
Give me a break .

HometownGal
10-26-2009, 08:59 PM

:toofunny::rofl::toofunny::rofl:

I'm laughing so hard right now that I can't even type a reply to that outrageous post!

:rofl::toofunny::rofl::toofunny:

In between the tears running down my face from laughing, I've managed to type this - XT has forgotten more about the game of football than you will ever comprehend.

cubanstogie
10-26-2009, 09:20 PM
I forget his name , but did you see the Vike chasing down the return on the interception . I guess o-lineman are paid to tackle , but punters and kickers are not .
Kickers are paid to make kicks and field goals only ?
Give me a break .

o-lineman are real football players. 6-4 320lbs running a faster 40 than kickers. Do I really need to explain the difference. Apples to oranges dude. If Ike Taylor was paid to catch a football he would be broke. He is paid to cover recievers. Interceptions are a big plus. He has dropped more pics than anyone I can think of, yet he is still a great CB. Same concept but to the third power for kickers.

billybob
10-26-2009, 09:32 PM

I'm laughing so hard right now that I can't even type a reply to that outrageous post!

:rofl::toofunny::rofl::toofunny:

In between the tears running down my face from laughing, I've managed to type this - XT has forgotten more about the game of football than you will ever comprehend.

I knew you would chime in . I would put the knowledge and experience i have up against X-T any day of the week . Good to see ya laughin though . I was quite the return guy in my playin days too . Skippy will skip his way out of town , just wait and see . Just like i was correct about the o-line (MACH V ) so shall you learn otherwise .

cubanstogie
10-26-2009, 09:37 PM
I knew you would chime in . I would put the knowledge and experience i have up against X-T any day of the week . Good to see ya laughin though . I was quite the return guy in my playin days too . Skippy will skip his way out of town , just wait and see . Just like i was correct about the o-line (MACH V ) so shall you learn otherwise .

he may be out of town next year, but it won't be due to his tackling skills. its about the $$$$$$.

HometownGal
10-26-2009, 09:49 PM
I knew you would chime in .

Of course I'm going to chime in. Being a member of this board affords me the right to reply to any thread or post I so choose, just like everyone else.

I would put the knowledge and experience i have up against X-T any day of the week . Good to see ya laughin though .

Sorry - have to laugh again. I have to thank you though, billybobster - haven't felt much like laughing over the last month or so and your last 2 posts have kept me :rofl: :drink:

I was quite the return guy in my playin days too .

I'm sure the Pee Wee League coach was quite pleased with your playin' abilities. :thumbsup: Hey - instead of patting yourself on the head on an internet sports BB, you could be the next Mel Gray or Whiteshoes Johnson! Get that resume into the Steelers FO.

Skippy will skip his way out of town , just wait and see . Just like i was correct about the o-line (MACH V ) so shall you learn otherwise .

We'll have to agree to disagree on whether or not your crystal ball will be correct with regard to Skippy skipping himself out of town. It's not like the Steelers don't know that Reed is and has always been a crazy mofo but he produces points pretty consistently and 98% of the time is clutch when called upon. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that should the Steelers not sign or franchise him at the end of the season and sign another kicker, you will be one of the first - if not THE first - to bitch and moan should the new PK not make a hair follice on Reed's hiney. I'd bet your life on it.

billybob
10-26-2009, 10:11 PM
It was highschool football , but any way , i know the fundamentals of the game . I never said that Reed has not been an asset to our team , but that being said , i was complaining about a lack of effort , both on the field of play , and off .
I never got paid to play , and would still make a tackle like that . That is basic , and if you can't comprehend that i am sorry to ruffle your "skippy feathers " . Guess you never played the game before . Only spectate !

X-Terminator
10-26-2009, 11:11 PM

First of all, who the hell are you? Was I even talking to you? NO. Secondly, I think I know damn well what the kicker's responsibility is on kickoffs. I KNOW he is the last line of defense. And I also stand by my statement that Reed does not get paid to tackle returners. He gets paid to KICK THE BALL. My POINT is that he should NOT have to be involved in making the tackle, that if the other 10 players on the field do their jobs the way they're supposed to, then Reed doesn't have to even attempt to tackle the returner. That has really been my ONLY point, but of course it's gotten completely lost in people reading whatever the hell they want to. Hell, even Mike Logan - someone who might know a thing or two about covering kicks at the NFL level - has said the same damn thing. I have never claimed to be an expert on anything around here the way you just have, so again, who the hell are you to even make that assumption? The last I checked, this is a board of OPINIONS, and it is my OPINION that Reed shouldn't have had to make that tackle.

I suggest you check yourself before you find yourself on the outside looking in once again, pal.

billybob
10-26-2009, 11:30 PM
First of all, who the hell are you? Was I even talking to you? NO. Secondly, I think I know damn well what the kicker's responsibility is on kickoffs. I KNOW he is the last line of defense. And I also stand by my statement that Reed does not get paid to tackle returners. He gets paid to KICK THE BALL. My POINT is that he should NOT have to be involved in making the tackle, that if the other 10 players on the field do their jobs the way they're supposed to, then Reed doesn't have to even attempt to tackle the returner. That has really been my ONLY point, but of course it's gotten completely lost in people reading whatever the hell they want to. Hell, even Mike Logan - someone who might know a thing or two about covering kicks at the NFL level - has said the same damn thing. I have never claimed to be an expert on anything around here the way you just have, so again, who the hell are you to even make that assumption? The last I checked, this is a board of OPINIONS, and it is my OPINION that Reed shouldn't have had to make that tackle.

I suggest you check yourself before you find yourself on the outside looking in once again, pal.

Go ahead bro , you can be the " The invalidater , or the invalidator " . To keep posting in all of your posts , several different threads i might add , that a kicker does not get paid to tackle is absolutely absurd .
Everyone on this team gets paid for what is for the good of the team . If it comes down to him , and he must make a play , he should put forth the effort .
Sometimes there are missed tackles in this game , but , my friend that was not one of them .
Since you insist that Reed is not paid to tackle , but paid to kick , what is BIG BEN paid for .
I have been reading your posts all around in different threads , that you will not stop until you convince all the ones that disagree , that Reed is not paid to make tackles .
Is he part of the special teams unit ?
If you answer yes , then there is no ifs,ands,or buts . He is paid to make that tackle !
If you answer no , then you are simply wrong , and should admit it .

X-Terminator
10-26-2009, 11:56 PM
Go ahead bro , you can be the " The invalidater , or the invalidator " . To keep posting in all of your posts , several different threads i might add , that a kicker does not get paid to tackle is absolutely absurd .
Everyone on this team gets paid for what is for the good of the team . If it comes down to him , and he must make a play , he should put forth the effort .
Sometimes there are missed tackles in this game , but , my friend that was not one of them .
Since you insist that Reed is not paid to tackle , but paid to kick , what is BIG BEN paid for .
I have been reading your posts all around in different threads , that you will not stop until you convince all the ones that disagree , that Reed is not paid to make tackles .
Is he part of the special teams unit ?
If you answer yes , then there is no ifs,ands,or buts . He is paid to make that tackle !
If you answer no , then you are simply wrong , and should admit it .

I said I'm done talking about it, because nobody understands my overall point that he shouldn't have been put in that position IF the other guys had done their jobs the way they're supposed to. Mike Logan said the same thing, and I agree. So that's that. I stand by my opinion.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-27-2009, 12:01 AM
he may be out of town next year, but it won't be due to his tackling skills. its about the $$$$$$.

You are probably correct. If he still sticks to the $3mil price tag he is probably gonna be abusing towel dispensers in someplace like Dallas.

X-Terminator
10-27-2009, 12:08 AM
You are probably correct. If he still sticks to the $3mil price tag he is probably gonna be abusing towel dispensers in someplace like Dallas.

You can scratch Dallas - Jerruh has stated many times that he will not spend more than the minimum on kickers. I see a place like San Francisco or a dome team like St. Louis or Detroit signing him if he doesn't re-sign here.

And for those who criticize Reed's inability to kick the ball into the end zone - the Chicago Bears are currently paying Robbie Gould $3 million per season, and not only does he not kick the ball into the end zone with regularity, he has also never made a 50+-yard FG in his career.

HometownGal
10-27-2009, 07:57 AM
It was highschool football , but any way , i know the fundamentals of the game . I never said that Reed has not been an asset to our team , but that being said , i was complaining about a lack of effort , both on the field of play , and off .
I never got paid to play , and would still make a tackle like that . That is basic , and if you can't comprehend that i am sorry to ruffle your "skippy feathers " . Guess you never played the game before . Only spectate !

I break with thee, I break with thee, I break with thee. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

So let me get this straight. Because I've never played high school football (other than flag and recreationally), but have "spectated" and have been a scholar of the game for over 40 years - I'm a football retard? WOW, freakin' WOW. :jawdrop:

Again - I don't condone Skippy's behaviors off the field but I'm not ready to run him out of town on a rail, just as I wasn't ready to throw Harrison and Santo under the bus when they got into trouble off the field. The very simple fact that Reed is vehemently fighting the charges against him tells me that there is more to this story than meets the eye, as these charges are misdemeanors and he could simply pay the fines and be done with it.

memphissteelergirl
10-27-2009, 08:19 AM

Well, a thousand pardons, O, exalted Great One of Football Wisdom! :bowdown: (sarcasm off)

I don't think anybody here is disputing that Reed made a p*ss poor tackling effort, but since you're so fond of telling everybody else to go back and look at the tape I suggest you do the same. NOBODY it seems made the effort to bring Harvin down. (Not too mention there were more than a few Viking players holding guys and making blocks in the back, but that's another debate). Heck, Stevie Wonder could see that was a breakdown that could be blamed on the whole ST unit, NOT JUST REED! And any fan that knows the basics about the game knows that, and they don't have to have played a down in their lives to know that. So please spare us the "I know more about football than all of you" crap, aiight?

GBMelBlount
10-27-2009, 08:26 AM

Billybob, I often respect your opinion, but this part REALLY came across to me as condescending and demeaning.

There is NOTHING wrong with strongly disagreeing, but I think you made it a little too personal with that remark.

Just saying.

billybob
10-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Well, a thousand pardons, O, exalted Great One of Football Wisdom! :bowdown: (sarcasm off)

I don't think anybody here is disputing that Reed made a p*ss poor tackling effort, but since you're so fond of telling everybody else to go back and look at the tape I suggest you do the same. NOBODY it seems made the effort to bring Harvin down. (Not too mention there were more than a few Viking players holding guys and making blocks in the back, but that's another debate). Heck, Stevie Wonder could see that was a breakdown that could be blamed on the whole ST unit, NOT JUST REED! And any fan that knows the basics about the game knows that, and they don't have to have played a down in their lives to know that. So please spare us the "I know more about football than all of you" crap, aiight?

Where in my post did i state i know more about football than any of you ? I state my opinions like everyone else around here . I don't have to agree with everyone , the same as they do not have to agree with me .
Ya feel better now ?

memphissteelergirl
10-27-2009, 08:36 AM
Billybob, I often respect your opinion, but this part REALLY came across to me as condescending and demeaning.

There is NOTHING wrong with strongly disagreeing, but I think you made it a little too personal with that remark.

Just saying.

Thank you!

X-Terminator
10-27-2009, 08:45 AM
Where in my post did i state i know more about football than any of you ?:

What, did you forget this little gem already?

I would put the knowledge and experience i have up against X-T any day of the week .

Are you or are you not saying that you know more about football than me just because you have experience (played the game)? All I did was try to make a point, and here you come acting like Mr. Know-It-All and attacked me just because you disagreed. I don't care if you disagree, but don't make me look like I don't know what I'm talking about. Which, BTW, you also said:

Nobody here is an expert, Mr. High School football player. Not even you.

The_WARDen
10-27-2009, 08:50 AM

I enjoy that line about never playing the game. Hilarious! So, have you even criticized an actor/actress billybob...or maybe even a poilitican? That would be interesting to know since I bet you've never acted or held an office.

memphissteelergirl
10-27-2009, 08:53 AM
XT, nicely done, my friend! :applaudit:

Jmat
10-27-2009, 09:21 AM
All of this over a kicker. You gotta love it. Imagine if we would've lost.

I can understand where billybob is coming from but I don't expect much from a kicker when it comes to tackling. It's more like a bonus if he can do it. Kickers and contact don't mix well.
Would you prefer if Reed makes the tackle and hurts his leg or back or whatever and can't kick the rest of the season? How many games do you think we lose by a FG because Reed got hurt making a tackle that the 10 guys in front of him failed to make?

GeneralRobinson
10-27-2009, 09:57 AM
It's interesting to read the comments about not expecting Reed to make a tackle on the TD by Harvin because he's paid to kick and not tackle. Does that mean that Wallace's lack of containment on that TD is excused because he is paid to catch the ball and not cover kicks?

Nadroj 20
10-27-2009, 09:59 AM
I said I'm done talking about it, because nobody understands my overall point that he shouldn't have been put in that position IF the other guys had done their jobs the way they're supposed to. Mike Logan said the same thing, and I agree. So that's that. I stand by my opinion.

Hey dude i understood your point i thought i made that pretty clear i wasnt trying to argue my point against your i was just stating mine as well

And billybob there is a difference, back earlier in this thread when me and X-T went at it for awhile nobody made claims they knew more then the other person, we were just discussing football.

Nobody has to be a winner in a discussion about opinions!!!

GBMelBlount
10-27-2009, 10:01 AM
Would you prefer if Reed makes the tackle and hurts his leg or back or whatever and can't kick the rest of the season?

Great point...

......and furthering your logic, perhaps we should simply let all kickoffs be returned for touchdowns, thereby ensuring that none of our players are ever injured on kickoffs. :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-27-2009, 10:29 AM
You can scratch Dallas - Jerruh has stated many times that he will not spend more than the minimum on kickers. I see a place like San Francisco or a dome team like St. Louis or Detroit signing him if he doesn't re-sign here.

Yeah, SF or St. Louis might be good places that could pay him.

I'm not a Reed hater, I just don't think that its wise to spend top dollar on kickers. IMO, they are like long snappers.........lots of guys that can do the job and can be hero to zero in 1 play. Draft a guy in the 5th or sign Pitor Czech, thus saving $2-3Million next season that can be used elsewhere.

cubanstogie
10-27-2009, 12:14 PM
It's interesting to read the comments about not expecting Reed to make a tackle on the TD by Harvin because he's paid to kick and not tackle. Does that mean that Wallace's lack of containment on that TD is excused because he is paid to catch the ball and not cover kicks?

apples to oranges, Wallace is expected be stay in his lane and make a tackle should the returner come his way. Reed is the last resort, and has ten percent of the athleticism of Wallace. If Reed couldn't kick the ball he wouldn't be on the kickoff team, Wallace still would. Big difference.

SteelerFanInStl
10-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Yeah, SF or St. Louis might be good places that could pay him.

I'm not a Reed hater, I just don't think that its wise to spend top dollar on kickers. IMO, they are like long snappers.........lots of guys that can do the job and can be hero to zero in 1 play. Draft a guy in the 5th or sign Pitor Czech, thus saving $2-3Million next season that can be used elsewhere.

It won't be St. Louis. They've got far more pressing needs than a kicker.

I'm with you when it comes to kickers. I wouldn't pay any of them $3M/year. I'd rather see the money used elsewhere.

steelreserve
10-27-2009, 12:46 PM
I love Reed for accuracy, but I think we need to get him some steroids ASAP.

HometownGal
10-27-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm with you when it comes to kickers. I wouldn't pay any of them $3M/year. I'd rather see the money used elsewhere.

Jeff Reed has pretty much been CLUTCH for the Steelers over the last couple of years and when the game is on the line (and please don't bring up the Bears game - that was a once in a blue moon fubar) and we need those points off of his foot to win, suddenly Skippy becomes the most important player on the field. PK's are so taken for granted and underappreciated by fans. :banging:

OX1947
10-27-2009, 05:16 PM
To prove at how horribly bias folks are toward Brett Favre, you tell me what was worse, A kicker playing tag or Brett Favre on both the fumble and INT run backs doing an imitation of a ballerina in a freakin theater show. Brett Favre's attempts to tackle Woodley and Fox was one of the most pathetic displays of tackling or attempt of not tackling I have ever seen.

rich4eagle
10-27-2009, 06:49 PM

2. It is a valid point.

that is not an accurate statement....those who played football know staying in your lanes on kick coverage is paramount..........so that eliminates about five players

the kicker in this day is the last resort...........grab on hang on

So only five others got beaten so to speak.....the unblocked easy guy was Reed

he failed huge ........he stank........he waved at Harvin........PATHETIC........I could have done way better and would have for no money

You are making excuses for a failure

Jeff Reed could have cost the Steelers a playoff berth with that wimp excuse for a tackle...................

Personally, for me he would be gone tomorrow, he already lost one game and tried to lose this one

thanks for all you do..........we disagree:tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03:

cubanstogie
10-27-2009, 07:02 PM
that is not an accurate statement....those who played football know staying in your lanes on kick coverage is paramount..........so that eliminates about five players

he failed huge ........he stank........he waved at Harvin........PATHETIC........I could have done way better and would have for no money

Jeff Reed could have cost the Steelers a playoff berth with that wimp excuse for a tackle...................

Personally, for me he would be gone tomorrow, he already lost one game and tried to lose this one

So when you cut him tomorrow, who are we going to sign to kick field goals. Morton Anderson. Jeff Reed has won way more games than he has lost. Go check his stats for the last few years. Hopefully you don't take that fly by the seat of you pants decision making in other areas of your life especially if you are a father. If kickers were real football players, they would be playing a position besides kicking. They get paid to kick and Reed has been stellar for the last 3 years, minus the Bears game he has like 5 misses.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-27-2009, 07:43 PM
I dont think kickers are taken for granted. They are all pretty much the same IMO. They are a mass of guys with similar skills, for instance I think just about any of these guys are as good, or better than Reed:

Matt Stover
Mike Nugent
Jason Elam
Phil Dawson
John Kasay
Adam Vinitieri
Neil Rackers
Joe Nedney
Robbie Gould
Rod Bironas
Jason Hanson
Nick Folk
Jay Feely
David Akers
Nate Kaeding
Steven Gostkowski
Lawrence Tynes

So, if somebody is gonna pay him more in free agency....somebody can easily be next. Kickers are much easier to find than franchise QB, starting RB's, shutdown CB's, impact D-linmen, etc.

cubanstogie
10-27-2009, 07:50 PM
I dont think kickers are taken for granted. They are all pretty much the same IMO. They are a mass of guys with similar skills, for instance I think just about any of these guys are as good, or better than Reed:

Matt Stover
Mike Nugent
Jason Elam
Phil Dawson
John Kasay
Adam Vinitieri
Neil Rackers
Joe Nedney
Robbie Gould
Rod Bironas
Jason Hanson
Nick Folk
Jay Feely
David Akers
Nate Kaeding
Steven Gostkowski
Lawrence Tynes

So, if somebody is gonna pay him more in free agency....somebody can easily be next. Kickers are much easier to find than franchise QB, starting RB's, shutdown CB's, impact D-linmen, etc.
I can agree with that, I just don't agree with letting one go because of a missed tackle. Money , yes. Finding a better kicker, yes. Missed tackle, no logic there.

Rick5895
10-27-2009, 07:53 PM
I was the poor smoe that started this thread, lol, one thing has occured through out. It is assumed the only thing wrong was the poor effort on Harvin. I spoke of his off field nonsense as well. He also has missed some very makeable kicks this season, could this be a result of a problem away from the field. who knows. For a guy who wants the coin he wants to simply kick a football, he must be better at what he does, whether it is making tackles or kicking field goals. I agree he has won a lot of games for us, but I also beleive there a number of guys out there who could do the same. One thing that really has bothered me the past few years is the lack of depth on kick offs, Too many kicks get returned on us because of this, yes some are coverage mistakes, but some are because of the poor kicks and if you are going to lack the leg strength to kick touch backs then you damn well better make a play when the ball comes at you. Momentum is huge in the NFL, it can't be lost because of a lack of effort.
Just my opinion, Sorry if I upset the apple cart. Reed is a good kicker, I just don't think the headache he is is worth the risk, after all he is a kicker, lol.

BlastFurnace
10-27-2009, 08:09 PM
What??? He's terrible at it. The stats don't lie. 36th out of 40 is pathetic.

You obviously have not watched any Steelers games since Jeff has been here.

HometownGal
10-27-2009, 08:58 PM

Here we go round the mulberry bush again with the "those who have played football" drama. :rolleyes: Sorry, rich, but that's L-A-M-E and extremely condescending.

So - the "five others who were beaten" get a free pass when blocking and tackling are what they are PAID to do?

I absolutely am NOT making excuses for anything. Jesus Christ - you'd think Reed personally handed Harvin the football and pushed him into the endzone with the revolt around here. It's sickening.

Pardon me while I :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Were you and billybobster separated at birth or somethin'? :chuckle:

Skippy wasn't the only Steeler on that field on Sunday who made a boo-boo and he sure isn't the only Steeler or unit who blew a play (in his case 2 missed FG's in the same game) or fooked up in the 7 games the Steelers have played thus far. Ben's thrown picks, both FWP and Mendy have fumbled, up until the game against the Vikes our D played only 45 minutes a game and the list could go on and on and on.

Just a suggestion here - you and the bobster need to stick to critiquing high school football games. I'm just sayin. :drink:

tony hipchest
10-27-2009, 09:09 PM
other than el-gonzo (who i know does his homework) i would dare anyone who has laid blame on, or relentlessly ragged on jeff reed (not saying you did, gonzo), in this thread, to show their football acumen and name the 4 players who have replaced anthony madison, andre frazier, james harrison, and carey davis on the return coverage teams in the past few weeks.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-28-2009, 12:12 AM
I can agree with that, I just don't agree with letting one go because of a missed tackle. Money , yes. Finding a better kicker, yes. Missed tackle, no logic there.

I'll light an H. Upmann to that. :thumbsup:

If every player that missed a tackle was let go, then there would be nobody playing. I too think the economics will see that neither Reed nor Parker will be Steelers next year. That wussy excuse for a tackle attempt wont cost a guy a job, but should get a purse hanging in a guys locker. :chuckle:

Steelers & I
10-28-2009, 04:20 AM

Can you kick extra points and field goals, especially at Heinz Field in the winter months? If so, the Steelers may want to take a look at you at their next training camp.

I really don't believe that too many NFL coaches "expect" their kickers to make tackles. They "hope" that the kicker may save the return from going house but they really don't "expect" them to. That's kind of like expecting a MLB pitcher to carry a batting average of .300 or expecting him to hit a homerun with two on. It just ain't happening very often.

Texasteel
10-28-2009, 05:11 AM

There are several reasons we loss both games and the L can not be laid at one players feet. Having played the game you should know that.

thanks for your oppinion..............we disagree.

GBMelBlount
10-28-2009, 09:57 AM
other than el-gonzo (who i know does his homework) i would dare anyone who has laid blame on, or relentlessly ragged on jeff reed (not saying you did, gonzo), in this thread, to show their football acumen and name the 4 players who have replaced anthony madison, andre frazier, james harrison, and carey davis on the return coverage teams in the past few weeks.

Nothing I enjoy more than someone exhibiting a level of arrogance above those they are accusing of being arrogant. :chuckle:

HometownGal
10-28-2009, 10:46 AM
Nothing I enjoy more than someone exhibiting a level of arrogance above those they are accusing of being arrogant. :chuckle:

Though I don't believe Tony intended to be "arrogant" with his post, I did find it to be a bit of an insult and a tad condescending towards other members here who are quite knowledgeable, make positive contributions to discussions and also "do their homework".

GBMelBlount
10-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Though I don't believe Tony intended to be "arrogant" with his post, I did find it to be a bit of an insult and a tad condescending towards other members here who are quite knowledgeable, make positive contributions to discussions and also "do their homework".

LOL. I don't either.

I was just poking fun at the fact that this appeared to be directed at EVERYONE who was critical even though I, and a few others were critical of the play without necessarily "calling for his head".

billybob
10-28-2009, 02:07 PM
I never said i knew more about the game than anyone on this , or any other site .
I said i would match my knowledge of the game against another .
My main point was not to hate on Jeff Reed , but to ridicule those that said he was not paid to make tackles .(HE is paid to kick) .
Some " MAD MOD " decided to transform the original name of the thread to a hate thread instead .
Then resorts to changing names of members .....BILLYBOBSTER .
Because of the rediculous assumption that any member of special teams is not paid to make a tackle is still an absolutely absurd remark to make .
To me that shows real knowledge of the game . Some one saying that another forgot more about football than i will ever remember is kind of a stab in the dark .
Reed failed his team , and all you had to do is look at him on the sideline after the play to realize that . The other players had first dibbs on him but he got through , that is a fact .
The other fact is that Reed had the most spectacular chance at least to cross body block him out of bounds , but simply failed in his assignment to do so .
That became his assignment by default .
If i hurt somones feelings by speaking my mind i am sorry . I am not on this site to make enemies , but i seem to do a real good job of it .
It's the passion for the Steelers that drives me . You or anyone else will never change that .

Know what i mean "HOMER TOWN GAL " ?

cubanstogie
10-28-2009, 03:11 PM
I never said i knew more about the game than anyone on this , or any other site .
My main point was not to hate on Jeff Reed , but to ridicule those that said he was not paid to make tackles .(HE is paid to kick) .
Some " MAD MOD " decided to transform the original name of the thread to a hate thread instead .
Because of the rediculous assumption that any member of special teams is not paid to make a tackle is still an absolutely absurd remark to make .
To me that shows real knowledge of the game . Some one saying that another forgot more about football than i will ever remember is kind of a stab in the dark .
Reed failed his team , and all you had to do is look at him on the sideline after the play to realize that . The other players had first dibbs on him but he got through , that is a fact .
The other fact is that Reed had the most spectacular chance at least to cross body block him out of bounds , but simply failed in his assignment to do so .
If i hurt somones feelings by speaking my mind i am sorry . I am not on this site to make enemies , but i seem to do a real good job of it .
It's the passion for the Steelers that drives me . You or anyone else will never change that .

I really can't believe Jeff Reed is getting this much air time. My last comment on this matter, I promise. The only thing I had a problem with was the statement , he is paid to make tackles. Someone earlier brought up a great analogy using a national league pitcher batting. It is a similar situation. They are paid due to their arm and to bunt when needed. Bunting would be the equivalent of the kicker getting in the way of the return man without getting hurt. Anything extra is a huge bonus, such as a base hit, or in footballs case the kicker actually making the tackle. There is no right or wrong, that is what I expect from a kicker or pitcher when I view a game.

cubanstogie
10-28-2009, 03:20 PM
LOL. I don't either.

I was just poking fun at the fact that this appeared to be directed at EVERYONE who was critical even though I, and a few others were critical of the play without necessarily "calling for his head".

I think it was more props to Gonzo than a slam on other Reed critics. I admit I have been a Steelers fan for 35 or so years and I know the special team standouts but don't follow who is on the kickoff team on a weekly basis. Gonzo, I am quite sure does. Maybe others do as well. I am more of a simpleton and stick to offense and defense. I couldn't answer why our kick coverage is so bad this year. Reeds short kicks, lack of Harrison and Carey Davis, or Frazier injury.

fansince'76
10-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Jeez - this thread still going?

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/images/smilies/other_beatingA_DeadHorse.gif

Indo
10-28-2009, 03:54 PM

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/images/smilies/other_beatingA_DeadHorse.gif

That's what I was thinking...Twenty pages?!

Ummmm...we won.
Reed missed a tackle

Troy---who I happen to think is the Best player in the whole NFL----missed a couple, too. And he got blocked a couple of times.
We still won.
(I don't see any Troy sucks threads)

fansince'76
10-28-2009, 03:56 PM

Y'know something pal, your idiotic, nonsensical, semi-literate rants here have gotten beyond old. Goodbye for the last time, Billyboob.

HometownGal
10-28-2009, 04:01 PM

Me thinks its time to put this thread and the redundant topic out of its misery. :tombstone: