PDA

View Full Version : Holmes, stop with the show-boating

NEWstevo
10-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Holmes had 2 catches. 0 touchdowns. Yet he jumps up from his plays and points to his bicepts like he is Superman. This is so disappointing and embarrassing.

The first time was when he caught a TD, but it didn't count due to a questionable penalty (another topic). And, to make matters worse... the Steelers were LOSING at the time! He still has to draw attention to himself. I hated seeing that. Not the "Steelers football" that I have known and loved for 40 years.

When Ward scores, he gives the ball to a fan in the stands; Moore junps into the stands; Miller hands the ball to a ref. What does Holmes do???? Point to himself and take all the credit like a douchebag. Reminds me of Deion or Irvin, or Eric Green.

Never thought I would say this after that SB performance, but Holmes is my least favorite Steeler.

There is no "i" in Steelers, but there sure is one in Santonio.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
10-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Reminds me of Deion or Irvin, or Eric Green.

Just so you know, I'd be glad to have any of those guys on the Steelers in their prime.
And Green is one of the top couple TE's in Steelers history in my opinion. Anyways, it's a game. It's meant to be fun. Personally, I think all "Excessive Celebration" penalties should be nixed unless it significantly slows the flow of the game. Ward has done some pretty big showboating in his day by the way.

sharkweek
10-25-2009, 07:03 PM
Um, we weren't losing, it was 0-0. His TD that was wrongly overturned by a bad OPI call eventually became a FG that was the first points of the day, giving the Steelers a 3 - 0 lead.

The second instance you are referring to we were also in the lead (it was 13-10 and his play put us in prime position to make it 20-10 or at least 16-10 if Mendy didn't cough it up) and it was the most explosive and dynamic play of our season that didn't result in a touchdown.

Way to let your blind hatred skew the facts of reality.

ChrisKemoFan
10-25-2009, 07:05 PM
He's a great player and as much as I too hate all his god dam showboating and self-love I'm happy to have him.

Nadroj 20
10-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Holmes has never been a problem with his celebrations....personally i love it everytime he gets a first down he stands up and points the ball foward and then drops it....its great! lol its like a signature thing and as long as he isnt costing the team 15 yards for an excessive celerbration penalty i dont care what he does

X-Terminator
10-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Seriously, you guys need to stop with the bitching about Holmes' celebrations. The NFL isn't supposed to stand for No Fun League. He isn't pulling a TO and pulling out a sharpie or putting on a HOF jacket, so I don't know why it's such a huge deal.

Mags87
10-25-2009, 07:11 PM
i feel kind of blessed that Holmes' antics are the worst on the team. most high profile recievers get fined almost all the time for showboating. just watching the bengals game today (stupid bears), Chad 85 has something to do after any catch. Holmes flexes, signals a first down (which i love, cause Ward's been doing the same thing for 32 years now) oh well. when he starts pulling out cell phones and other objects he's hidden on the field, then we have a problem.

Nadroj 20
10-25-2009, 07:11 PM
Seriously, you guys need to stop with the bitching about Holmes' celebrations. The NFL isn't supposed to stand for No Fun League. He isn't pulling a TO and pulling out a sharpie or putting on a HOF jacket, so I don't know why it's such a huge deal.

I agree nothing he has done has cost us yards so who cares? Its the NFL not pop Warner

Mags87
10-25-2009, 07:12 PM
Holmes has never been a problem with his celebrations....personally i love it everytime he gets a first down he stands up and points the ball foward and then drops it....its great! lol its like a signature thing and as long as he isnt costing the team 15 yards for an excessive celerbration penalty i dont care what he does

can this be considered a delay of game penalty with the new rules this year?

Jmat
10-25-2009, 07:13 PM
What good is a win if people can't bitch and moan about it?
The only thing worse than Steelers fans after a loss is Steelers fans after a win.:tt04::pissed:

BozMan
10-25-2009, 07:14 PM
I hope some ref doesn't decide to get overly strict and flag Holmes for excessive celebration.

Preacher
10-25-2009, 07:16 PM
I hate any celebration under than spiking the ball or giving it to the ref.

That's just me.

However, if you are going to get on him for that. . . then I have to ask, did you rip on Bettis for getting up, dancing sideways and shaking his head? How was that not drawing attention to himself?

Did you hate it when Hines Ward did his business in the dog pound? How about when he mocked TO?

What did you think about Ben's 6 gun salute?

Nadroj 20
10-25-2009, 07:17 PM
can this be considered a delay of game penalty with the new rules this year?

I dont know for sure but it hasnt been called yet this year....as long as he drops it straight down i do not think it is a problem...at least it hasnt been

Preacher
10-25-2009, 07:17 PM
The only thing worse than Steelers fans after a loss is Steelers fans after a win.:tt04::pissed:

Have you never seen a Bungle's fan after a win? :wink02:

X-Terminator
10-25-2009, 07:19 PM

That's just me.

However, if you are going to get on him for that. . . then I have to ask, did you rip on Bettis for getting up, dancing sideways and shaking his head? How was that not drawing attention to himself?

Did you hate it when Hines Ward did his business in the dog pound? How about when he mocked TO?

I personally don't see what the big deal is with celebrating big plays and TDs, unless it's what I described in my earlier post.

But to answer your questions...nobody cared about them because it wasn't Santo. He is held to a different standard. Can't be anything other than that.

NEWstevo
10-25-2009, 07:29 PM
All good points.

I am just going from memory, I wish I were more accurate with the times. He did the gun-thing after his first real catch, which was when the Steelers were losing 7-3. And to me, celebrating a TD is not the same as a getting a routine 2nd quarter first down.

But it doesnt change the fact that it looks stupid. Happy to have him. Yes. Glad my team is winning. Yes. Ward and his chicken dance? Stupid too.

And I wasn't talking about performance, hell, I would take TO if he would give the Steelers another Super Bowl ring.

But I am just saying, in my opinion... Holmes looks like a d-bag and I expected more (or should I say less) from him. And didn't the Steelers release "superstar" Eric Green?

Last year Holmes was money, but so far this year... Mr. Bicepts has a single touchdown and is 3rd in catches (behind a tight end). I am not sure that is reason to point to the guns. Wallace has more to celebrate than Santonio.

Go Steelers.

Preacher
10-25-2009, 07:33 PM
I personally don't see what the big deal is with celebrating big plays and TDs, unless it's what I described in my earlier post.

Personally, I just think the celebrations are a little silly. I don't break out in dance after I teach a class. it's my job. I don't break out the sharpie after translating a passage in Greek. That's my job. I just find it strange that they celebrate what they are expected to do.

Don't get me wrong. I know its a emotional game. Emotions will cause some celebration. That's find. jumping on someone else, spiking the ball.. .that's fine. Just sometimes, it gets a bit out of hand.

But to answer your questions...nobody cared about them because it wasn't Santo. He is held to a different standard. Can't be anything other than that..

Gotta agree with you there. If Santo was a hard hitter, hard blocker, and knocked 5 or 6 guys out of the game-- no one would mind IMO.

VTsteel
10-25-2009, 07:39 PM
Wallace has more to celebrate than Santonio.

Go Steelers.

Oh God please don't give the Rook any ideas. . . If he produces year in and year out and brings home a SB MVP - then Mr. Wallace could moon the camera for all I would care (But no celebrations until then ;) )

Rookies should never celebrate ever

devilsdancefloor
10-25-2009, 07:40 PM
Personally, I just think the celebrations are a little silly. I don't break out in dance after I teach a class. it's my job. I don't break out the sharpie after translating a passage in Greek. That's my job. I just find it strange that they celebrate what they are expected to do.

Don't get me wrong. I know its a emotional game. Emotions will cause some celebration. That's find. jumping on someone else, spiking the ball.. .that's fine. Just sometimes, it gets a bit out of hand.

Gotta agree with you there. If Santo was a hard hitter, hard blocker, and knocked 5 or 6 guys out of the game-- no one would mind IMO.

i dont mind the little celbrations, but i do prefer to act like you been there before. BUT i have been impressed with tones nblocking this year. i have seen him on more that one occasion make a key block. Hell today he blocked Allen on a end around

Jmat
10-25-2009, 07:52 PM

That's just me.

I actually agree with you. I wish their was a lot less celebrating especially when it comes to the Steelers. I'm old school with that kind of thing.
But it's the way it is in todays NFL so we have to put up with it. Wide Receivers have taken celebrating to a entirely new level on any catch.
Imagine if there wasn't a rule for excessive celebrating.

X-Terminator
10-25-2009, 07:52 PM
I'll side with the unpopular view here: 'Tone, please knock it off. This isn't the way Steelers play ball. Winners do not celebrate production; they expect it as a matter of course.

No problem...unless you bash Hines and most of the defense for doing the same thing.

X-Terminator
10-25-2009, 07:54 PM
I actually agree with you. I wish their was a lot less celebrating especially when it comes to the Steelers. I'm old school with that kind of thing.
But it's the way it is in todays NFL so we have to put up with it. Wide Receivers have taken celebrating to a entirely new level on any catch.

Dude, back in the day they had Billy "White Shoes" Johnson's celebrations and the Cowboys' team TD celebration. What players do today is NOTHING compared to that.

Preacher
10-25-2009, 07:56 PM
No problem...unless you bash Hines and most of the defense for doing the same thing.

Very true.

Like I said. I like seeing the emotion come out a bit... but the celebrations are a bit much... That is a fine line... and somewhat arbitrary I readily admit. I just don't know how to express it any other way.

scsteeler
10-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Emotion is a big part of playing football and if you check every other sports at one point in time someone has done something to show that emotion but it seems as if the Football players get more attention for so called show boating.

I personally don't have a problem with expressing your happiness or excitement for making a big play so long as it does not go to overboard..

If this were say Golf, Hockey, or Baseball would we hear the same Show-Boating remarks about players. We know in those sports they never do anything after a big play!

If the Coaches don't have a problem with it neither should we.

steelerchad
10-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Dude, receivers by nature are ego maniac premadonas. Our corps of receivers are probably the most reserved set in the league. Yea tone has an ego, but he's young and he hasn't cost us a penalty for it that I know of.
It's an emotional game, when he makes a play he wears his on his sleeve.

MACH1
10-25-2009, 08:10 PM
Holmes had 2 catches. 0 touchdowns. Yet he jumps up from his plays and points to his bicepts like he is Superman. This is so disappointing and embarrassing.

The first time was when he caught a TD, but it didn't count due to a questionable penalty (another topic). And, to make matters worse... the Steelers were LOSING at the time! He still has to draw attention to himself. I hated seeing that. Not the "Steelers football" that I have known and loved for 40 years.

When Ward scores, he gives the ball to a fan in the stands; Moore junps into the stands; Miller hands the ball to a ref. What does Holmes do???? Point to himself and take all the credit like a douchebag. Reminds me of Deion or Irvin, or Eric Green.

Never thought I would say this after that SB performance, but Holmes is my least favorite Steeler.

We win a huge game! Then people come on here bitc!ing and moaning about trivial little things. "This is so disappointing and embarrassing." as a Steeler fan.

Just like after scoring, act like you've been there before and stop yer bitchin.

tube517
10-25-2009, 08:20 PM
I see your point but as long as he doesn't get in trouble with the law again, I can't complain too much about the guy. I mean he was clutch in the playoffs and you can't ask much more than that. He'll get his catches this year but he needs to be smart when celebrating. I do hate when he does the first down thing in the middle of a TWO MINUTE DRILL.

LVSteelersfan
10-25-2009, 08:32 PM
Let em celebrate. It is basically a kid's game. Who cares if they want to whoop it up a bit. I miss the TD celebrations where they drop the football in a circle of players and they all fall down like it is a bomb. That is fun stuff. Keep the fun in the game. Just don't taunt.

Steel-Bryan
10-25-2009, 08:36 PM
Hes having fun, chill out.

X-Terminator
10-25-2009, 08:56 PM
Let em celebrate. It is basically a kid's game. Who cares if they want to whoop it up a bit. I miss the TD celebrations where they drop the football in a circle of players and they all fall down like it is a bomb. That is fun stuff. Keep the fun in the game. Just don't taunt.

I think that's where the line gets blurred, and why you have so many people against it. Some of them see every celebration as a taunt, when it's really not. I agree with your overall point, though - it's a game. Let them have fun, provided it's within reason.

Justin Otstott
10-25-2009, 09:05 PM

im not so sure these people are really Steelers fans anyways. But I loved Holmes today, and the whole game at that. This board has seriously went down hill since all the new members popping up after our Super Bowl wins. Anyways, :tt02:

pits200
10-25-2009, 09:07 PM
I agree with the OP on this matter, I was saying the same thing. His first catch was a 15 yard gain in the Steelers end. Was it a good play to make the corner miss,,, YES. But was it a game changer,,, NO.

I just think the arm flex portrays a coky (wont let me spell it the other way) attitude. Chad Ocho does his things as a gag, he even lives it up, I am starting to enjoy his joking attitude.

As for Tone, I think he is letting his superstar status from the Superbowl get to his head a little.

Not to say I don't love having him on our team, i just think he is slightly ****y and I don't feel that goes with Steeler's history.

Justin Otstott
10-25-2009, 09:11 PM
I agree with the OP on this matter, I was saying the same thing. His first catch was a 15 yard gain in the Steelers end. Was it a good play to make the corner miss,,, YES. But was it a game changer,,, NO.

I just think the arm flex portrays a coky (wont let me spell it the other way) attitude. Chad Ocho does his things as a gag, he even lives it up, I am starting to enjoy his joking attitude.

As for Tone, I think he is letting his superstar status from the Superbowl get to his head a little.

Not to say I don't love having him on our team, i just think he is slightly ****y and I don't feel that goes with Steeler's history.

o yeah...what did you think about Porter and Bettis? Dude won a superbowl, he's going to think he is the shi* and he is the shi*!

ETL
10-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Holmes is the most underrated steeler I know. He is being double teamed like crazy opening up Hines, Heath and Wallace.

He can do whatever he wants in my view because to me he's the guy that's most responsible for how successful this offense is.

Stop looking at stats and really look at the game

HometownGal
10-25-2009, 09:24 PM
Who gives a hoot? When Santo dons a yellow HOF jacket on the sidelines, then we've got something to B & M about. :rolleyes:

Jmat
10-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Dude, back in the day they had Billy "White Shoes" Johnson's celebrations and the Cowboys' team TD celebration. What players do today is NOTHING compared to that.

Yeah I know. I was there.

pits200
10-25-2009, 09:38 PM
o yeah...what did you think about Porter and Bettis? Dude won a superbowl, he's going to think he is the shi* and he is the shi*!

That kind of attitude is the same one Santonio has and which is why he still isn't the number 1 receiver of the Steelers this year.

Porter is like Holmes....

Don't compare Bettis to them, all celebrations are not created equal. Just because the 3 of them celebrate does not make them the same.

tony hipchest
10-25-2009, 09:43 PM

well he is from THE ohio state, so i guess it is expected and i cut him some slack. he is clutch, a sb mvp, and his catch and run to set up mendenhalls fumble was one of the best any steeler wr has had in years.

i love it when holmes flexes his muscle. he works hard for it. :thumbsup:

MACH1
10-25-2009, 09:46 PM
well he is from THE ohio state, so i guess it is expected and i cut him some slack. he is clutch, a sb mvp, and his catch and run to set up mendenhalls fumble was one of the best any steeler wr has had in years.

i love it when holmes flexes his muscle. he works hard for it. :thumbsup:

I think this thread needs more cowbell...:chuckle:

Sharkissle29
10-25-2009, 09:52 PM
anyone notice how wide open holmes was on the wallace TD?

Justin Otstott
10-25-2009, 10:01 PM
That kind of attitude is the same one Santonio has and which is why he still isn't the number 1 receiver of the Steelers this year.

Porter is like Holmes....

Don't compare Bettis to them, all celebrations are not created equal. Just because the 3 of them celebrate does not make them the same.

yeah I guess, but we had many players that had that kind of attitude.

tony hipchest
10-25-2009, 10:10 PM
anyone notice how wide open holmes was on the wallace TD?one thing i have noticed all year, is that on just about all of bens completions there are atleast 2 guys easily open.

bens got options (which probably explains him having 70%+ completions).

tony hipchest
10-25-2009, 10:13 PM
I think this thread needs more cowbell...:chuckle:

how bout a cheesy cowbell?

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/cheezecowbell.jpg

ricksteelers55
10-25-2009, 10:25 PM
Santonio Holmes is a very-talented WIDE RECEIVER.Wide receivers are specials.Most of them are in love with themselves.You either accept it or dont.I really love Heath Miller he is by far my favorite Steelers TE since i follow them(late 80's) but unfortunately you cant have only guys like Heath Miller in your receiving corps you also need guys like Santo.

Dont forget that Hines also had is share of ''It's about me''.In 2005 training camp Hines made a holdout because he wasnt pleased with his contract that he previously signed.So in all honesty nobody's perfect maybe except(Troy and Heath who I think are the perfect models)

BTW: You better appreciate Santonio's talent as a player cause if his contract demands are too high I have a feeling they might let him go with the great work by Mike Wallace.

Tankus_Maximus
10-25-2009, 10:31 PM
I gotta agree, it was rather tiresome to see 'Tone point to his biceps, after completing a standard catch. Save it for a big play (like a TD you don't drop) or a big game.

Nadroj 20
10-25-2009, 10:33 PM
I gotta agree, it was rather tiresome to see 'Tone point to his biceps, after completing a standard catch. Save it for a big play (like a TD you don't drop) or a big game.

I think this was a pretty big game....nothing wrong with showing some emotion after making a play.

Mags87
10-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Last year Holmes was money, but so far this year... Mr. Bicepts has a single touchdown and is 3rd in catches (behind a tight end). I am not sure that is reason to point to the guns. Wallace has more to celebrate than Santonio.

Go Steelers.

few things i do not like about this, the first is what is bolded. "that tight end" is Heath Miller. you watch how you talk about "that tight end" :mad:

next, yes Wallace is doing great. But Santonio has 30 receptions this year, 28 for first downs! that sounds like he has all sorts of things to celebrate. christ, get the hell out of here if your gonna trash talk the most talented receiver on the teams skills. if you watched last year (or this year for that matter), Holmes has proved his worth.

lastly, how could you refer to Heath like you did??? :mad::mad::mad: he is so valuable to our team! He has 4 td receptions on the year, while the most in the NFL is 6. Also, there are only 4 receivers in the league with more receptions than him. so please, show him the respect he has earned!
HEATH!!!!!

mesaSteeler
10-25-2009, 11:00 PM

I completely agree. This showboating crap is completely out of control. Holmes needs to grow up, be professional, and learn to act like "he's been there before". Mike Wallace, a rookie, is behaving more professionally than Holmes is.

Showboating indicates a lot of immaturity on the players who do it and those fans who profess to like it.

If Holmes keeps it up it's going to cost us a penalty and maybe a game. If the refs had seen his behavior after his catch in the super bowl we would have been hit with a taunting penalty. Tomlin needs to drop the hammer on this showboating BS as quickly as possible.

X-Terminator
10-25-2009, 11:25 PM
I completely agree. This showboating crap is completely out of control. Holmes needs to grow up, be professional, and learn to act like "he's been there before". Mike Wallace, a rookie, is behaving more professionally than Holmes is.

Showboating indicates a lot of immaturity on the players who do it and those fans who profess to like it.

If Holmes keeps it up it's going to cost us a penalty and maybe a game. If the refs had seen his behavior after his catch in the super bowl we would have been hit with a taunting penalty. Tomlin needs to drop the hammer on this showboating BS as quickly as possible.

Well then I guess I'm immature, because I don't see a thing wrong with what he does. It's football. It's emotional. It's supposed to be fun. Let the players have fun. NFL does not stand for No Fun League no matter how much the stiff shirts want it to.

And if you going to be consistent, then I want to see this post the next time Hines Ward does his first down point or he does some kind of dance similar to his mocking of Ocho Crotcho or "marking his territory" like he did in Cleveland. Which, if I recall correctly, got nothing but laughs from the fans and virtually no criticism.

fansince'76
10-25-2009, 11:29 PM
And if you going to be consistent, then I want to see this post the next time Hines Ward does his first down point or he does some kind of dance in the end zone.

You'll be waiting a long time, X. Hines will get a pass for it every time. I guess Santo hasn't "earned his stripes" yet, so to speak.

MasterOfPuppets
10-25-2009, 11:34 PM
hey if the players wanna act like self absorbed jackasses thats fine as long as they aren't get flagged. personally i think it makes them look like retards for celebrating plays that mean basically nothing....but thats just me.... i myself would prefer if they saved it for go ahead td's, or maybe a 3rd down sack that gets you off the field...but....oh well

mesaSteeler
10-25-2009, 11:37 PM
Well then I guess I'm immature, because I don't see a thing wrong with what he does. It's football. It's emotional. It's supposed to be fun. Let the players have fun. NFL does not stand for No Fun League no matter how much the stiff shirts want it to.

And if you going to be consistent, then I want to see this post the next time Hines Ward does his first down point or he does some kind of dance in the end zone.

I'll be happy to oblige. I seem to remember in Cowher's final year that Ward got at least one, and maybe even two, excessive celebration penalties. I was mad as hell about it then.

It's stupid to risk a victory on idiotic celebrations, moronic gay dances, and other showboating crap. Save it until after the game. Then if they want too they can form a chorus line in the middle of the field. Doing it during the game gives the refs the chance to take a victory away from us and show that the player is putting himself above the team.

steelwalls
10-25-2009, 11:39 PM
If he is not breaking rules then what is the problem? I think it gets the ret of the team fired up....I know it would me.....

MasterOfPuppets
10-25-2009, 11:43 PM
I'll be happy to oblige. I seem to remember in Cowher's final year that Ward got at least one, and maybe even two, excessive celebration penalties. I was mad as hell about it then.

It's stupid to risk a victory on idiotic celebrations, moronic gay dances, and other showboating crap. Save it until after the game. Then if they want too they can form a chorus line in the middle of the field. Doing it during the game gives the refs the chance to take a victory away from us and show that the player is putting himself above the team.oh you mean like holmes's celebration in the superbowl that coulda cost them bigtime ?

Angina
10-25-2009, 11:51 PM
I don't break out the sharpie after translating a passage in Greek. That's my job.

Maybe not the Greek, but if I could translate from ancient Hebrew? Man, I'd spike the pen and dance on my chair, lol. :wink:

Seriously though, that's why I love Heath Miller. When he does his job, he drops the ball or hands it off. Rarely have I seen excessive celebration from him. And as a parent, it's nice to have a model like that to point out.

Angina

mesaSteeler
10-25-2009, 11:54 PM
oh you mean like holmes's celebration in the superbowl that coulda cost them bigtime ?

Yeah I mean just like that.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/02/18/santonio-holmes-fined-10k-for-super-bowl-td-celebration/

"Within the past few days, Holmes received notification from the NFL that the league was fining him $10,000 for using the ball as a prop, a league source said Wednesday.

Though Holmes' violation did not draw a 15-yard penalty that could have been crucial for Arizona, the league admitted it was reviewing the Steelers wide receiver's transgression. And once it did, it found that he violated the rule for using the ball as a prop."

I don't understand why there is even any debate on this. In a close game why do you want to give the other team a 15 yard penalty for some stupid celebration? If Holmes keeps it up sooner or later in a close game it will cost us a victory.

If that happens then we will see how many of you still support these stupid celebrations.

steelwalls
10-25-2009, 11:57 PM

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/02/18/santonio-holmes-fined-10k-for-super-bowl-td-celebration/

"Within the past few days, Holmes received notification from the NFL that the league was fining him $10,000 for using the ball as a prop, a league source said Wednesday.

Though Holmes' violation did not draw a 15-yard penalty that could have been crucial for Arizona, the league admitted it was reviewing the Steelers wide receiver's transgression. And once it did, it found that he violated the rule for using the ball as a prop."

I don't understand why there is even any debate on this. In a close game why do you want to give the other team a 15 yard penalty for some stupid celebration? If Holmes keeps it up sooner or later in a close game it will cost us a victory.

If that happens then we will see how many of you still support these stupid celebrations.

If he is breaking the rules IM SURE MT is all over him. He's a young kid with loads of talent, I think we could have it much worse than the occasional celebration.

mesaSteeler
10-25-2009, 11:58 PM
If he is breaking the rules IM SURE MT is all over him. He's a young kid with loads of talent, I think we could have it much worse than the occasional celebration.

What if his celebration had cost us the Super Bowl?

Mags87
10-25-2009, 11:59 PM

holmes flexing or signaling a first down is not a stupid celebration. did you see how many stiff arms he had on that catch b4 mendy dropped the ball? that was a helluva play, and that arm had something to do with it. good god, he makes a great play and says all right. if he didnt do this, all we'd have to bitch about would be players jumping on each other in the end zone and high fives.

MasterOfPuppets
10-26-2009, 12:00 AM
If he is breaking the rules IM SURE MT is all over him. He's a young kid with loads of talent, I think we could have it much worse than the occasional celebration.well he just gave you an example of how it could've been costly to the team...:noidea:

fansince'76
10-26-2009, 12:01 AM
What if his celebration had cost us the Super Bowl?

An extra 15 yards would have prevented the strip sack by Woodley? :noidea:

X-Terminator
10-26-2009, 12:04 AM
oh you mean like holmes's celebration in the superbowl that coulda cost them bigtime ?

Yeah, and pointing/dropping the football or doing a Hulk Hogan pose really rises up to that level. :coffee:

Adrian Peterson did the same thing today (the muscle thing). Where's his criticism?

I give up. Let's just turn the NFL into golf or bowling, where everyone has to be quiet and act like they're in church, and be done with it. Fun is no longer permitted in the NFL.

mesaSteeler
10-26-2009, 12:06 AM
An extra 15 yards would have prevented the strip sack by Woodley? :noidea:

I don't know if it would have or not and there is no way to tell. Why do you want to give away 15 yards? Why risk a victory on a celebration? These players that do these stupid shows are putting themselves above the team.

fansince'76
10-26-2009, 12:12 AM
I don't know if it would have or not and there is no way to tell.

Exactly, so what good is speculating about it going to do?

MasterOfPuppets
10-26-2009, 12:14 AM
Yeah, and pointing/dropping the football or doing a Hulk Hogan pose really rises up to that level. :coffee:

Adrian Peterson did the same thing today (the muscle thing). Where's his criticism?

I give up. Let's just turn the NFL into golf or bowling, where everyone has to be quiet and act like they're in church, and be done with it. Fun is no longer permitted in the NFL.
actually i'd call it acting like a professional who's been there, done that ... and i'm not pointing out holmes in particular but all of them i mean i rember seeing ike taylor doing his stupid face thing even when he had nothing to do with the receiver dropping the ball...

stb_steeler
10-26-2009, 12:16 AM
Just so you know, I'd be glad to have any of those guys on the Steelers in their prime.
And Green is one of the top couple TE's in Steelers history in my opinion. Anyways, it's a game. It's meant to be fun. Personally, I think all "Excessive Celebration" penalties should be nixed unless it significantly slows the flow of the game. Ward has done some pretty big showboating in his day by the way.

Ya remember his mock of Ocho Stinko's river dance......:rofl:

fansince'76
10-26-2009, 12:17 AM
... and i'm not pointing out holmes in particular but all of them i mean i rember seeing ike taylor doing his stupid face thing even when he had nothing to do with the receiver dropping the ball...

Me too, but I don't see threads being started over it....

Justin Otstott
10-26-2009, 12:22 AM
wait wait wait....are you guys telling me that a guy pointing at his ARM is a bad role model???? Seriously? A GUY POINTING AT HIS ARM!?!? Yeah I don't want my kids watching that guy POINTING AT HIS ARM, they might go out and do the same thing!

mesaSteeler
10-26-2009, 12:24 AM
Exactly, so what good is speculating about it going to do?

It points out the danger that these celebrations bring with them. Sooner or later these celebrations will cost us a victory. After all it's not like we are winning games by three or four touchdowns. A 15 yard penalty due to an excessive celebration can kill us. Why take the risk by permitting them?

Angus Burgher
10-26-2009, 12:27 AM
Holmes had two of the best plays in the game. It's not his fault that both were essentially rendered meaningless because of a bad call by the officials and a stupid fumble by Mendy. I have no problem with Holmes showboating a little. The guy was doing his job, and well.

Justin Otstott
10-26-2009, 12:34 AM
It points out the danger that these celebrations bring with them. Sooner or later these celebrations will cost us a victory. After all it's not like we are winning games by three or four touchdowns. A 15 yard penalty due to an excessive celebration can kill us. Why take the risk by permitting them?

:noidea: and maybe it will, who knows.

jjpro11
10-26-2009, 12:40 AM

please.. did you not see Wallace front-flip into the end zone today?

i don't care what Holmes does, as long as it isn't a penalty. need i remind you all that Hines has had his share of "dances" that drew attention to himself. i don't picture Ward as a show boater. he plays and has fun.

i still can't stand the fact that a player can actually be penalized for over celebrating and in turn effect the outcome of the game. it's not taunting, and celebrating itself has zero effect on the game.. yet they can penalize a player 15 yards for stupid shit like going to the ground in the end zone, using the ball as a prop, and group celebrations. it is just so ridiculous when you actually stop and think about how insignificant this all really is and why the NFL makes such a huge deal about it. college football too now.

Preacher
10-26-2009, 12:43 AM
Maybe not the Greek, but if I could translate from ancient Hebrew? Man, I'd spike the pen and dance on my chair, lol. :wink:

Seriously though, that's why I love Heath Miller. When he does his job, he drops the ball or hands it off. Rarely have I seen excessive celebration from him. And as a parent, it's nice to have a model like that to point out.

Angina

:chuckle:

I am doing that as well... though not quite as good. However, my Ph.D. is in OT. So by this time next year, I should be reading it without any helps what so ever. Sadly, I put down Hebrew after I graduated from seminary, so I am definitely behind in it. My focus in more OT theology than OT languages.

Justin Otstott
10-26-2009, 12:45 AM
please.. did you not see Wallace front-flip into the end zone today?

i don't care what Holmes does, as long as it isn't a penalty. need i remind you all that Hines has had his share of "dances" that drew attention to himself. i don't picture Ward as a show boater. he plays and has fun.

i still can't stand the fact that a player can actually be penalized for over celebrating and in turn effect the outcome of the game. it's not taunting, and celebrating itself has zero effect on the game.. yet they can penalize a player 15 yards for stupid shit like going to the ground in the end zone, using the ball as a prop, and group celebrations. it is just so ridiculous when you actually stop and think about how insignificant this all really is and why the NFL makes such a huge deal about it. college football too now.

Don't even waste your time, these guys want football to be professional and soft. It's ok for Ocho Stinko to do his crazy stunts but as soon as Holmes points at his arm the sirens go off.

Stu Pidasso
10-26-2009, 01:15 AM
I'll side with the unpopular view here: 'Tone, please knock it off. This isn't the way Steelers play ball. Winners do not celebrate production; they expect it as a matter of course.

Agreed. ACT LIKE YOU'VE BEEN THERE. Celebrate touchdowns.

You made a catch? Good for you. You're PAID to do that. Now get back in the huddle.

fansince'76
10-26-2009, 01:18 AM
Agreed. ACT LIKE YOU'VE BEEN THERE. Celebrate touchdowns.

You made a catch? Good for you. You're PAID to do that. Now get back in the huddle.

No problem. Will Hines catch this kind of criticism the next time he makes the first down motion he makes all the time? Doubtful.

Preacher
10-26-2009, 01:18 AM
Don't even waste your time, these guys want football to be professional and soft. It's ok for Ocho Stinko to do his crazy stunts but as soon as Holmes points at his arm the sirens go off.

:huh: How did Chad Ochocinko get in this discussion, and where did you see anyone approving what Chad did and then yell about Holmes?

I don't like any of it, because to me, it is turning the sport more into show/professional wrestling. Sorry, those are just my thoughts.

Preacher
10-26-2009, 01:27 AM
No problem. Will Hines catch this kind of criticism the next time he makes the first down motion he makes all the time? Doubtful.

I know you weren't directing this at me... just wanted to throw in my two cents....

That's what I mean by being emotional. Hines makes a first down, he jumps up excited and makes a first down motion. Great! If Santo's flex is the equivalent of that... great. I personally don't have a problem with most of it. His celebration in the SB... that I had a problem with.

I don't know... I have repeatedly tried to explain how I feel about it and I just can't seem to explain the dividing line for me...

I guess, if it isn't meant to get you on sportscenter. I am somewhat ok with it, within reason. If it is tradition, I love it... like the Lambeu leap or spiking the ball. Porter's kick was the same way... just a quick gesture... and back to the game.

I know you probably aren't even referring to what I am saying... but I just think there is a line there that gets crossed. And yes, I think flipping into the endzone crosses the line-- and thought so in SB XL (Willie) too.

-- I am not nitpicking the win today... this thread has just got me thinking about what I consider crossing the line.

Oh Yeah... and as to your actual question. You KNOW its Ward, so he can do pretty much anything with out there being a problem. Had it been Sweed that dropped the balls Ward dropped today.... WOW. watch out forum!

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-26-2009, 01:38 AM
Yeah, I am not a big fan of guys making a big deal over a reception. I am even less of a fan when a career special teamer makes a tackle on a kickoff and celebrates like he just won the lottery.

Just accept it and laugh when guys hurt themselves celebrating like Gus Ferotte, Martin Grammatica, etc.

Stu Pidasso
10-26-2009, 01:44 AM

What I said applies to EVERYONE. OchoStinko, Holmes, Ward, Merriman, some random guy who does a 14 minute dance after taclking someone who just ran for like 14 yards, etc... You never seen Lambert, Reggie White, Polamalu, etc. ever do this.

wootawnee
10-26-2009, 02:48 AM
Celebrations like that shows insecurity..........If you just show total joy that is different.......

Tankus_Maximus
10-26-2009, 09:54 AM
he went above & beyond "showing some emotion", c'mon pointing to your bicep after both catches that you had on the entire day...puhlease. Wallace has more composure than "Tone. I love the guy, but his bicep-pointing is stale.

I think this was a pretty big game....nothing wrong with showing some emotion after making a play.

X-Terminator
10-26-2009, 09:58 AM
he went above & beyond "showing some emotion", c'mon pointing to your bicep after both catches that you had on the entire day...puhlease. Wallace has more composure than "Tone. I love the guy, but his bicep-pointing is stale.

Yeah, Wallace showed all of that composure when he did his somersault into the end zone. Funny how no one mentions that. That, BTW, should have been a penalty for the excessive celebration that so many people are getting their panties in a bunch over concerning Santo. It's been called in the past.

Yet another example of how Santo gets held to a different standard than everyone else on the team. Because if he does that, this board would be even more up in arms than it is now over a friggin biceps point.

4xSBChamps
10-26-2009, 10:14 AM
Hell, who-else recalls when throwing the ball into the turf, at ANYTIME other-than after a TD, would be delay-of-game?

Now-a-days, anytime a player feels something didn't go his way following a play (a penalty not being called, dropping a pass, being tackled short of the sticks, etc.), they slam the ball down at the Officials feet, and nothing is done about it:
nothing wrong with showing emotion, but many of today's players, raised on ESPN & 'reality TV', aren't mature-enough to know when showing emotion is warranted.

as Stu Pidasso said earlier this thread, the League has becoming a bunch of "some random guy(s) who does a 14 minute dance after tackling someone who just ran for like 14 yards, etc... You never seen Lambert, Reggie White, Polamalu, etc. ever do this."

steelballs
10-26-2009, 10:45 AM
....I think a topic about special teams debacles warrant some discussion, not celebrations after successes. The Steelers are probably the least celebratory team in the NFL...some folks are just happier complaining.

The_WARDen
10-26-2009, 10:47 AM
I really hate posters that use large bolded fonts!

:mad:

steelerjim58
10-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Wow, to call what Holmes does showboating is crazy to me. Loosen up the sphincter folks.

tyler289
10-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Santonio is definitely our biggest "showboater," but what he does is pretty mild compared to the rest of the league. Have you all seen what Kelly Washington (Ravens) does after every catch? He celebrates like he scored a touchdown and he's the best WR in the league. It's laughable. He's the #3 receiver on the Ravens. At least Santonio has his SB ring and MVP.

BlastFurnace
10-26-2009, 12:18 PM
I don't mind Santonio's showboating. I am just concerned he's going to get a taunting penalty that is going to cost us soon.

Jmat
10-26-2009, 12:32 PM
This thread is getting way more attention that it deserves.

Steelboy84
10-26-2009, 03:18 PM
i don't care about the celebrating, i kinda like it. but i don't like him carrying the ball with his one hand untucked. the ball is just sitting there waiting for a guy from behind to chase him down and knock it out

:applaudit:

tony hipchest
10-26-2009, 04:54 PM
anytime i type a really good post or totally burn a troll, i celebrate by pointing at my finger. :point::nono:

fansince'76
10-26-2009, 04:59 PM
This thread is getting way more attention that it deserves.

Agreed. :coffee:

Psyychoward86
10-26-2009, 06:01 PM
I havent read all 10 pages of this crap, but what Santo does is miniscule. How about what Mike Wallace did? I dont want to see that diving in the endzone crap ever again. That worries me a lot more.

steeltheone
10-26-2009, 06:06 PM
All the Steeler fans at the bar were saying the same thing. Stop the stupid crap.

pepsyman1
10-26-2009, 07:27 PM
To be honest
I've had the opposite thought watching Holmes this year....although he does his little biceps point or points for a first down, he never seems to go over the top with it. Last year we saw bigger celebrations out of him. On most of his big catches this year he gets up, calmly hands the ball to an official like a 10 year vet and then does a small gesture....no biggie. I think he just looks confident. I live just outside of Philadelphia and the Eagles have a similar type WR in DeSean Jackson who seems to have a major celebration any time he touches the ball, let alone on a big play. Holmes' behavior seems well under control to me

The Lakelander
10-26-2009, 07:38 PM

:funny:

:willy: OMG ... Santonio showboated.

:tomato: