PDA

View Full Version : Jack Lambert-a 1984 article.

Preacher
10-25-2009, 09:08 PM
A Rose By Any Other Name

Steeler linebacker Jack Lambert is not known as a sweetie, but he sure knows the sweet smell of success

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1122363/12/index.htm

Great article.

The more I read it, the more I am shocked at the parralels between Lambert and Harrison. Both sack machines. Both quite off the field. Both mean on the field. Both take their team to a completely different level. Both from Kent State etc. etc.

Can any of you see Harrison throwing down Cliff Harris, or having multiple Sipe episodes? I can absolutely see Harrison doing it.

Anyways, it is a great article about Lambert.

mesaSteeler
10-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Great article. I remember reading back in 84. Many Thanks for posting.

" Harris, the Cowboys' free safety, tapped Gerela on the helmet and said, "Way to go." Lambert flung him to the ground. No flag was thrown, but referee Norm Schachter was on the verge of kicking Lambert out of the game. Lambert talked him out of it."

" Jack Lambert," Pittsburgh coach Chuck Noll said afterward, "is a defender of what is right."

If this happened today especially against the stinking Cheatriots, not only would Lambert have been thrown out of the game but the corrupt Goodell would ban him from the league.

It's still to early to anoint Harrison as the being as good as Lambert. However if Silverback keeps making plays like the pick six in last years Super Bowl he could get there. Of all the Steeler linebackers since Lambert, Harrison is closest in intensity.

Preacher
10-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Great article. I remember reading back in 84. Many Thanks for posting.

" Harris, the Cowboys' free safety, tapped Gerela on the helmet and said, "Way to go." Lambert flung him to the ground. No flag was thrown, but referee Norm Schachter was on the verge of kicking Lambert out of the game. Lambert talked him out of it."

" Jack Lambert," Pittsburgh coach Chuck Noll said afterward, "is a defender of what is right."

If this happened today especially against the stinking Cheatriots, not only would Lambert have been thrown out of the game but the corrupt Goodell would ban him from the league.

It's still to early to anoint Harrison as the being as good as Lambert. However if Silverback keeps making plays like the pick six in last years Super Bowl he could get there. Of all the Steeler linebackers since Lambert, Harrison is closest in intensity.

Two years definitely isn't enough... but the parallels are interesting!

mesaSteeler
10-25-2009, 10:20 PM
There is no greater honor for Harrison or any Steeler linebacker than to be compared to the immortal Lambert. I would be very happy if Harrison has a career that comes close to Lambert's career. Lambert, along with Mean Joe, were the fiery spirit of the greatest defense ever in the NFL. I'm not sure how much of leader Harrison is and how he compares to Lambert in that respect.