PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Pass Interference

vikes0487
10-25-2009, 11:49 PM
Hello, Vike fan here. Good game, I hope we have home field if we play again as this looked like a good matchup.

On to my rant:

I've noticed several steeler fan's here and elsewhere mentioning a 'questionable' call on the Santonio Holmes TD called back because of O pass interference by Heath Miller. I think those in the group who are mad at the call don't understand the rule. Picks or rubs are a crafty way to create openings and they are subtly used by most teams in the NFL. That said, it is illegal to interfere with the coverage in this way and if you get caught, you now know what happens. Heath Miller flat out pancaked the coverage on Santonio and he got caught.

Now, about 'the trip'. I'll wait until I see someone here agree with the call until I give my opinion on it. *crickets*

That said, I think the Steelers took the ref advantage today en route to pulling out the win, thoughts?

Here is your fuel for rebuttal:

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/passinterference

Thanks!

fansince'76
10-25-2009, 11:51 PM
That said, I think the Steelers took the ref advantage today en route to pulling out the win, thoughts?

Sure, it was the refs that caused 2 turnovers by Favre that were both taken back 70+ yards. :coffee:

And if you think Miller trying to run his route was a pick, you're blind.

MasterOfPuppets
10-25-2009, 11:53 PM
my thoughts about it is no amount of whining is gonna change the scoreboard ....game over....:tt03:

MasterOfPuppets
10-25-2009, 11:55 PM
if i was you i'd be worrying about the pack thats in the future than the steelers thats in the past....:chuckle:..... pack 35...vikes 21

vikes0487
10-26-2009, 12:01 AM
I saw a pick play and the refs did too. He _was running his route but the refs werent buying what your O coordinator was selling.

ps. Can I expect friendly discussion from other forum members or should I find another board now?

steelergirl07
10-26-2009, 12:02 AM
What I saw was a no call on blatent holding during Harvin's run back. I'm tired of people questioning Steelers wins because of calls, yet no one ever mentions when we don't get calls. We won, game over.

fansince'76
10-26-2009, 12:03 AM
I saw a pick play and the refs did too. He _was running his route but the refs werent buying what your O coordinator was selling.

ps. Can I expect friendly discussion from other forum members or should I find another board now?

Yep, and I saw a block in the back that wasn't called on Harvin's kickoff return, but I bet you didn't.

If you came here to whine about the officiating, yes, please move along. :coffee:

Mags87
10-26-2009, 12:05 AM
ive been telling my viking fan friends that the 4 redzone trips MN had that only produced 10 points is way more to worry about than the tripping call. if the vikes score a td on that one play, why cant they do it again? good teams overcome bad calls. instead they respond with a strip sack that gets returned for a td.

and to the tripping call, the guy dove at Harrisons knees, Harrison jumps, the TE's legs go in the air. thats what the ref saw, and that can be construed as a tripping call. so quoting the rulebook works in our favor as well.

thats my 2cents on the matter. and the Vikes are in pretty good position for the rest of the year. focus on whats left, not whats done.

MasterOfPuppets
10-26-2009, 12:06 AM

ps. Can I expect friendly discussion from other forum members or should I find another board now? yea i'd find another board...we're already maxed out on whiners...if a spot opens up we'll call ya....:wave:

vikes0487
10-26-2009, 12:09 AM
I could start telling you about each time I yelled at the TV for a call I thought the refs missed too but I don't think that would be very productive. I believe that calls are 'missed' in every NFL game played.

Anyway, I created this post to talk about how I thought the OPI call on Heath was good (and after looking at the replay once during the broadcast I think you can see that on film). Maybe I shouldn't mentioned have the tripping.

X-Terminator
10-26-2009, 12:12 AM
The OPI call was weak. It happens in every game, and they chose THAT time to call it.

I thought the "trip" was a horrible call.

Happy now? Please say yes, so you can go and whine with the rest of your fellow Vikings fans.

Mags87
10-26-2009, 12:13 AM
I could start telling you about each time I yelled at the TV for a call I thought the refs missed too but I don't think that would be very productive. I believe that calls are 'missed' in every NFL game played.

Anyway, I created this post to talk about how I thought the OPI call on Heath was good (and after looking at the replay once during the broadcast I think you can see that on film). Maybe I shouldn't mentioned have the tripping.

agreed, seeing as that is the only thing we've heard about from the purple brigade since 230 today (central time of course)

tony hipchest
10-26-2009, 12:14 AM
if you try to trip or leg whip someone with your legs, it is usually flagged.

im just amazed it was called in favor of james harrison.

usually the defender(s) can grab and hold him, pull out a jar of vaseline, rip down his draws, and penetrate him without a flag being thrown.

MACH1
10-26-2009, 12:16 AM
http://fromfalmouth.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/kleenex-purple.jpg

Your team colors even.

fansince'76

So why are you here squawking about how we won "courtesy of the refs," then?

vikes0487
"and to the tripping call, the guy dove at Harrisons knees, Harrison jumps, the TE's legs go in the air. thats what the ref saw, and that can be construed as a tripping call. so quoting the rulebook works in our favor as well."

I think this logic is flawed, you're admitting the call is based on a misconception.

About the red zone offense, I think we had two good defenses out there today and both teams struggled at times because of it.

Mags87
10-26-2009, 12:18 AM
"and to the tripping call, the guy dove at Harrisons knees, Harrison jumps, the TE's legs go in the air. thats what the ref saw, and that can be construed as a tripping call. so quoting the rulebook works in our favor as well."

I think this logic is flawed, you're admitting the call is based on a misconception.

About the red zone offense, I think we had two good defenses out there today and both teams struggled at times because of it.

not really, he threw his legs up in the air where the steelers defenders legs were. thats tripping, regardless of contact.

Pittsky
10-26-2009, 12:19 AM
refs dont have the luxury of replays or birds eye views of plays in the moment...they are on the field and have players flying by and smashing into them...the angle the ref saw that threw the flag probably looked a lot more like a tripping penalty....but when you show 3 other different angles and slow it down on 250,000$ high definition cameras....it looks like a bad call.

call it what u want. i think it was a close call, not a bad one.

Nadroj 20
10-26-2009, 12:19 AM

It looked like a trip and rules are rules

vikes0487
10-26-2009, 12:20 AM
"I thought the "trip" was a horrible call."

I am happier that we have some agreement there, yes.

Nadroj 20
10-26-2009, 12:21 AM

usually the defender(s) can grab and hold him, pull out a jar of vaseline, rip down his draws, and penetrate him without a flag being thrown.

LOL i cant breathe after readin that

Nadroj 20
10-26-2009, 12:22 AM

Do you know you can click the "quote" button on the bottom right hand corner of each post??

vikes0487
10-26-2009, 12:23 AM
"not really, he threw his legs up in the air where the steelers defenders legs were. thats tripping, regardless of contact."

He looked square to me when he met the rush. The blitzer rolled, Dugan tumbled. To say he 'threw' his legs at the rusher seems pretty imaginative.

MACH1
10-26-2009, 12:23 AM

You could just about say the same thing about Ben!

vikes0487
10-26-2009, 12:24 AM
Do you know you can click the "quote" button on the bottom right hand corner of each post??

Nice, I'm not too hip on this stuff. I usually just lurk. What I don't like about this, though, is that I lose the 'quick reply' function.

fansince'76
10-26-2009, 12:26 AM
"not really, he threw his legs up in the air where the steelers defenders legs were. thats tripping, regardless of contact."

He looked square to me when he met the rush. The blitzer rolled, Dugan tumbled. To say he 'threw' his legs at the rusher seems pretty imaginative.

And saying Miller threw an illegal pick when he looked to me like he was simply trying to run his route seems pretty imaginative to me too. You lost. Deal.:coffee:

X-Terminator
10-26-2009, 12:30 AM

Good. You can go and find another board now. We've been dealing with whining about refs from opposing teams for the last 3 freaking years, ever since Super Bowl XL. The Steelers can never win a game without the refs handing it to us, according to these people. And we're sick and damn tired of it.

The Vikings lost the game. Get over it, deal with it, and move on. And more importantly, quit your bitching!

Justin Otstott
10-26-2009, 12:31 AM
I dunno, I seen Miller running his route and got hit by a Viking player (accident maybe?) or Miller I dunno who cares it was a good game besides the stupid calls on both sides.

vikes0487
10-26-2009, 12:32 AM
And saying Miller threw an illegal pick when he looked to me like he was simply trying to run his route seems pretty imaginative to me too. You lost. Deal.:coffee:

Of course its all judgement calls but I will back these opinions I'm giving while the tape is rolling. I don't think there is debate to be had on the Rice TD that got pulled back.

SteelersGirlTN7
10-26-2009, 12:32 AM
[QUOTE=vikes0487;688382]I could start telling you about each time I yelled at the TV for a call I thought the refs missed too but I don't think that would be very productive. I believe that calls are 'missed' in every NFL game played.

Of course! Because the missed calls that were in favor of us would not be conducive to your argument that the refs helped with our win.

Take a number! Because there's a line of folks who have come before you with the same argument OR you could realize that good teams find a way to overcome bad calls...

we're just as shocked as you are on that tripping call ... as usually james harrison is mugged and NEVER gets a call in his favor...

I guess those 2 HUGE returns by our D did NOTHING to help our win?

fansince'76
10-26-2009, 12:34 AM
Of course its all judgement calls but I will back these opinions I'm giving while the tape is rolling. I don't think there is debate to be had on the Rice TD that got pulled back.

Well, according to your logic:

I saw a pick play and the refs did too.

The refs called it, so they saw a trip. What can I say?

X-Terminator
10-26-2009, 12:40 AM
We could also go over the crapload of calls that the Steelers got hosed on, starting with last week's TD by Ward that was taken away on a horrible call and a blatant hold on Cribbs' TD return that was missed, but you see, that would ruin the whole conspiracy thing that this Vikings fan is obviously trying to sell. It might be time to break out FS76's "Whiny Assed Crybaby's Guide to NFL Officiating":

1. Any and every call that benefits any opponent of the Steelers in any way is always 100% correct.

2. Any and every call that benefits the Steelers in any way is never correct and is always the result of paid-off referees and the Steelers-loving media.

Probably not exactly correct, but it's pretty close. And it's also 100% accurate.

vikes0487
10-26-2009, 12:42 AM
Well, according to your logic:

The refs called it, so they saw a trip. What can I say?

We could twist like this all day :)

Let me just say in closing again that I would defend the refs on the OPI call while watching the tape (that's my opinion after reviewing it once during the broadcast).

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-26-2009, 12:43 AM
I thought the PI on Miller was the correct call. He leaned in with the shoulder to rub off the defender.

I also thought there was an illegal block on the Harvin return TD which never got called.

In the end, I enjoyed the Brett Favre press conference where he said (something like this) " if I had it to do all over again, we would do the same thing and I couldn't do it any better. I'd rather do that over than the throw to Greg (Lewis) in San Francisco".

Like the true prima dona drama queen that Favre is....he could not bear to watch the FG last week and this week he chooses to essentially say...."I did my job" and lay the blame on Chester Taylor.

I used to respect Favre, but he is a true self centered guy that reads too much of his own press clippings. I am sure his old school highschool coach and Father (Big Irv) is rolling in his grave as to how much of a whining beeatch his son has become.

vikes0487
10-26-2009, 12:46 AM
I thought the PI on Miller was the correct call. He leaned in with the shoulder to rub off the defender.

I also thought there was an illegal block on the Harvin return TD which never got called.

In the end, I enjoyed the Brett Favre press conference where he said (something like this) " if I had it to do all over again, we would do the same thing and I couldn't do it any better. I'd rather do that over than the throw to Greg (Lewis) in San Francisco".

Like the true prima dona drama queen that Favre is....he could not bear to watch the FG last week and this week he chooses to essentially say...."I did my job" and lay the blame on Chester Taylor.

I used to respect Favre, but he is a true self centered guy that reads too much of his own press clippings. I am sure his old school highschool coach and Father (Big Irv) is rolling in his grave as to how much of a whining beeatch his son has become.

I missed that conference but I think that sum it up well. You can't win them all and I think my team came to play and made a good effort.

Secondly, I'm not sure I agree with your feelings about Favre right now but I can definately remember a time when I would have :)

acumen
10-26-2009, 12:52 AM
For what its worth, as soon as your TD was called back I kinda laughed and said 'Alright, now we're even"

It wasn't a BS call, but it was a marginal one, just like the one on MIller. By the book, they were both against the rules, but neither should have been called. Granted, we got a FG, and you... gave up a TD. So maybe we're not even, but for what it's worth I'm pickin up what you're puttin down.

In any case, that was probably the most exciting game I've watched this season. Had to record it and watch it when I got back from work. So happy I found a way to see it. Absolutely unbelievable.

Hopefully we get a chance to beat you again in the Superbowl! :thumbsup:

vikes0487
10-26-2009, 12:53 AM
For what its worth, as soon as your TD was called back I kinda laughed and said 'Alright, now we're even"

It wasn't a BS call, but it was a marginal one, just like the one on MIller. By the book, they were both against the rules, but neither should have been called. Granted, we got a FG, and you... gave up a TD. So maybe we're not even, but for what it's worth I'm pickin up what you're puttin down.

In any case, that was probably the most exciting game I've watched this season. Had to record it and watch it when I got back from work. So happy I found a way to see it. Absolutely unbelievable.

I think I forgot our next chance to play would be in the superbowl... I had mentioned having home field in our next matchup, oops

Angus Burgher
10-26-2009, 12:56 AM
We could also go over the crapload of calls that the Steelers got hosed on, starting with last week's TD by Ward that was taken away on a horrible call and a blatant hold on Cribbs' TD return that was missed, but you see, that would ruin the whole conspiracy thing that this Vikings fan is obviously trying to sell. It might be time to break out FS76's "Whiny Assed Crybaby's Guide to NFL Officiating":

1. Any and every call that benefits any opponent of the Steelers in any way is always 100% correct.

2. Any and every call that benefits the Steelers in any way is never correct and is always the result of paid-off referees and the Steelers-loving media.

Probably not exactly correct, but it's pretty close. And it's also 100% accurate.

:applaudit:

I remember arguing with multiple asshats after the last Super Bowl over this crap. They were essentially trying to break down the game and say that the Steelers only won because of a roughing the passer call in the 2nd or 3rd quarter. :blah:

They went on the conspiracy rant, saying how the officials wanted Pittsburgh to win and thats why they didn't take a really, really long time to review the last play of the game, when Warner fumbled. But of course, when the Cards were awarded a safety due to a holding call, and when the Steelers offense was backed up to about 18 yards during their final drive... well, they were just doing their job.

fansince'76
10-26-2009, 12:59 AM
:applaudit:

I remember arguing with multiple asshats after the last Super Bowl over this crap. They were essentially trying to break down the game and say that the Steelers only won because of a roughing the passer call in the 2nd or 3rd quarter. :blah:

They went on the conspiracy rant, saying how the officials wanted Pittsburgh to win and thats why they didn't take a really, really long time to review the last play of the game, when Warner fumbled. But of course, when the Cards were awarded a safety due to a holding call, and when the Steelers offense was backed up to about 18 yards during their final drive... well, they were just doing their job.

I'm sure they conveniently neglected to mention the THREE TIMES Warner took his helmet off on the field of play without a flag, or the block in the back on Breaston's long punt return that also didn't draw a flag too, right? Not to mention the questionable catch on Fitz's first TD or the multiple times Fitz lined up offsides with no calls (including the play he scored the go-ahead TD on) as well. Great non-calls, all of them. :coffee:

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-26-2009, 01:04 AM
I missed that conference but I think that sum it up well. You can't win them all and I think my team came to play and made a good effort.

Secondly, I'm not sure I agree with your feelings about Favre right now but I can definately remember a time when I would have :)

Yeah, the video clip of Favre was pretty telling to me. A leader would have said, "we left some chances out there and its a team game, so you cant put it all on 1 play. We win or lose as a team and today we just came up a bit short". Instead Favre implys that its on Taylor.

I really used to respect Favre, but the last 2 with the Packers that he started the Favre "shoud I retire or not" watch......started my slide in opinion. Then the tearful retirement, then unretirement sealed the feeling that he is a self centered drama queen. At least he didnt cry the 2nd time he retired.

I personally dislike the Packers, but hope the Vikings lose next week, because Favre thinks he is bigger than the team, the league and the game.

Angus Burgher
10-26-2009, 01:05 AM
Yeah. You know, I think I could live with the crappy officiating if fans of other teams would knock off the conspiracy crap. The Steelers are an easy target because they now have the best record.

vikes0487
10-26-2009, 01:10 AM
Nice chatting, everyone.

Here's my outtro:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/minnesota-vikings/09000d5d813ade41/Peterson-runs-over-William-Gay

fansince'76
10-26-2009, 01:30 AM
Nice chatting, everyone.

Here's my outtro:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/minnesota-vikings/09000d5d813ade41/Peterson-runs-over-William-Gay

Don't forget your lovely parting gift.

http://fromfalmouth.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/kleenex-purple.jpg

kidro2
10-26-2009, 01:45 AM
Steeler fan here. I agree that the tripping call was horrible. I can see how the ref made the mistake in real time, but it was clearly not a trip.

With that said, bad calls unfortunately are part of the game. Teams need to do what they can to make sure those calls don't matter. (Don't turn the ball over for instance.)

Hello, Vike fan here. Good game, I hope we have home field if we play again as this looked like a good matchup.

On to my rant:

I've noticed several steeler fan's here and elsewhere mentioning a 'questionable' call on the Santonio Holmes TD called back because of O pass interference by Heath Miller. I think those in the group who are mad at the call don't understand the rule. Picks or rubs are a crafty way to create openings and they are subtly used by most teams in the NFL. That said, it is illegal to interfere with the coverage in this way and if you get caught, you now know what happens. Heath Miller flat out pancaked the coverage on Santonio and he got caught.

Now, about 'the trip'. I'll wait until I see someone here agree with the call until I give my opinion on it. *crickets*

Thanks!

wootawnee
10-26-2009, 02:55 AM

Your Totally right dude.......Heath put up his arms like a block......I don't know if he was surprised to see someone and this was just a reaction, or if he deliberately was trying to block that dude.....Any way it draws a flag........Refs don't look at slow motion replays........

BTW Heath is one of the most cleanest and kinest people in the league.....He is also one of the most inteligent.....I think he scored the highest on that IQ test at the combine pre draft.......

Also there are alot of dudes in da burgh that see it the way they see it with Steeler emotion bias........Thats just the way it is............

You guys got a good team........You all need a QB in one of the next drafts though....Hope you get a good one.....

Later

Preacher
10-26-2009, 03:28 AM
I don't have a problem with the PI call.

I think the tripping was border line... call could have gone either way.
_________

However, Dugan should have been THROWN OUT OF THE GAME. Watch the video. He lines up the ref and cranks on him.

Paybacks for the tripping call? Probably. According to the rules, that is an immediate ejection from the game.

So please don't come in here and talk about how we won with some ref's help. The BIGGEST call of the day was completely blown.

http://images.sportsbybrooks.com/7/5/75469288bb20037fd029a1910e75882f_dugantrucksref.gi f

HOW IN THE WORLD ISN'T HE EJECTED FOR THAT????????????????????

Steelers & I
10-26-2009, 03:42 AM

_________

However, Dugan should have been THROWN OUT OF THE GAME. Watch the video. He lines up the ref and cranks on him.

Paybacks for the tripping call? Probably. According to the rules, that is an immediate ejection from the game.

So please don't come in here and talk about how we won with some ref's help. The BIGGEST call of the day was completely blown.

http://images.sportsbybrooks.com/7/5/75469288bb20037fd029a1910e75882f_dugantrucksref.gi f

Heck that almost looks criminal. Maybe an assault charge is in order?

These people whining about the calls, that's ridiculous. Bad calls are as much a part of the game as a bad pass, a dropped ball, a fumble, a missed tackle, you name it. It's human error, that's all.

Bill Cowher said it best when the media would question him after a game with a bad call or two, "At seasons end, these things even themselves out." That's probably the most sound approach to take on blown/bad calls.

SteelC7
10-26-2009, 04:35 AM
listen up, u lost, so shut up, and go post on your viking board, where ppl actually care, the call may have been rite on miller, but it shouldnt have been called, cuz it had nothing to do with the play, heaths 'pick' play was for mike wallace to get free, holmes ran an out route and scored, but it was brought back by the zebra morons, but its cool, we finally got a few good calls by the refs...anyway, like i said, leave our forum, u shouldnt be here, vikings fans belong with the vikings...in the loser column

Galax Steeler
10-26-2009, 04:56 AM
Every game there will be calls that are border line and I think the tripping call should not have been called. Like someone else stated the refs are looking at the game at speed they can't go back and review the play to see if there was a penalty. I think they missed that one but it happens in every game.

steelerchad
10-26-2009, 09:43 AM

_________

Wow. I didn't notice that during the game, but that actually does look pretty blatant. He's not even looking for a Steeler to block which is what he should be doing obviously. He not only lines him up but his head is straight ahead locked on his target the entire time. And then he unloads on him during impact. I would think a 1 game suspension would be in order.

Jmat
10-26-2009, 09:47 AM
Are Viking fans or anyone else bitching about the Vikes inability to score a TD on a first and goal from the half yard line with Adrian Petersen in the backfield?
It's always makes me laugh how people pick and choose the things they whine about and always forget the plays their team didn't or couldn't make then blame it all on the refs.

stlrtruck
10-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Without reading everything I'll chime in on your whining:

1) The Heath Miller play was a pick. Which is still illegal, and it was the correct call.

2) The tripping was a bogus call in my opinion but anytime a player gets he's legs in the air and it is perceived to be whipping them at another player more times than not the refs are going to call it.

3) THE BOTTOM LINE is that good teams overcome those obstacles regardless of when they occur. Yesterday, the STEELERS did it better than the minnesota farveings.

The_WARDen
10-26-2009, 10:46 AM
I do know this about the rule book...a defensive TD is wotth 6 points. Thus, 2 defensive TDs would be worth? Okay, I know that's a bit much for you..being a Viking fan and all. 2 x 6 would be 12 points. That was the difference in the game.

BlastFurnace
10-26-2009, 10:52 AM

Look...there were bad calls both ways. Harvin's KO TD should have been called back as well, but it wasn't.

Your HC lost that game for you guys. Anyone who decides not to pound Peterson into the end zone when you have 1st and goal from the 1 deserves to lose.

zsheik22
10-26-2009, 11:32 AM

On to my rant:

Thanks!

They tried to bump heath miller, impeded his route, and got owned.

tyler289
10-26-2009, 11:33 AM
I think the pass interference call was legit. The difference was that the Steelers then scored 3 points while the Vikings turned the ball over after the penalty.

fansince'76
10-26-2009, 11:38 AM
They tried to bump heath miller, impeded his route, and got owned.

That's the way I saw it too.

Angus Burgher
10-26-2009, 12:15 PM
Same here. The hell with it though; at least we won.

Dino 6 Rings
10-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Great Teams overcome all the bad calls and still find a way to win.

It is what it is. If you are Great, you overcome any bad calls and find a way to forget about it and move on. If you are lucky and good, those bad calls can hurt your chances at victory.

The Steelers are a Great Team.

SteelStang
10-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the pick by Heath on the opposite side of the field? Either way, it was a pick, but my point is that if it did not effect the outcome of the play it probably shouldn't have been called. It's like calling holding on a play that is already 40 yards downfield. It doesn't need to be called unless it is flagrant.

The trip call was so-so, but the get did throw his legs at JH so I think it should have standed.

And OMG! The hold that wasn't called on Harvin's return was ridiculous. It was right out in front of everyone!

Steelillini
10-26-2009, 12:37 PM
I still don't understand how our opponents always think that the refs are making these calls to aid the Steelers. Are you kidding me? Have you noticed baseball umps, NBA officials and other NFL officials? It happens in almost every game played. If they are making these calls for the Steelers they have done a bad job this year because they could have handed us the two close games we lost. Get over it, as a lot of people have said, good teams overcome the bad calls. IMO, the tripping call was worse than the pick call but both questionable. But if the Vikings score a TD from the 1 with 4 tries then the game is completely different........

cubanstogie
10-26-2009, 12:48 PM

sure, go to a seahawks board they are still talking about their lost SB due to the refs.

fansince'76
10-26-2009, 12:53 PM
sure, go to a seahawks board they are still whining, bitching and moaning like little pussies about their lost SB due to the refs.

Fixed.

SC Gamecokk
10-26-2009, 12:54 PM

On to my rant:

Thanks!

:yap:

the bottom line is that he did NOT pick him at all, he was one step into his route, and two guys (miller and the vikes defender) bumped into each other. neither should have been flagged, resulting in a steelers td.

on the trip, the vikes blocker did NOT trip our defender, resulting in a vikes td. both td's offset each other, and the steelers are still up by 4...based on those two plays only.

cubanstogie
10-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Fixed.
much better choice of words.:drink:

DaPhonz
10-26-2009, 01:30 PM

This is ridiculous. I'm no fan of officiating but that's downright wrong. He better get fined and suspended for that.

ricksteelers55
10-26-2009, 02:37 PM

On to my rant:

Thanks!

I think that you guys played better than we did flat out.

You had 2 chances to win the games and you blew it,it has nothing to do with bad calls by the refs

Now as a team you have two choices,first you blame the refs poor decisions and you think you are the best team and would have won if it wasnt for the refs calls OR you tell yourself look I didnt play well enough to win that game so I will have to work on the details to improve myself.

Being honnest is how you become a world champion.

winners blame themselves in a loss

losers blame everything else but themselves

AllD
10-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Nice chatting, everyone.

Here's my outtro:

Dude, you are probably like 99% of the purple whiners on the board like you have a sense of entitlement because you have Favre. You, just like the other little bitches, were the first to dump all over Favre when he played for Green Bay and beat the Vikes. Now since he plays for Minnesota he deserves the same do overs and preferential treatment that Brady receives.

You can take your shit and go **** yourself up the ass. Blow me douche' bag.

fansince'76
10-26-2009, 02:51 PM
I think that you guys played better than we did flat out.

I don't - if that were the case, they would have won, IMO.

AllD
10-26-2009, 02:54 PM
This is ridiculous. I'm no fan of officiating but that's downright wrong. He better get fined and suspended for that.

It was a fair hit on the ref because he was focused on the runner and didn't see the ref in his peripheral vision. It's also karma on the refs for all the bad calls they made against the Steelers.

smokin3000gt
10-26-2009, 02:57 PM
It was a fair hit on the ref because he was focused on the runner and didn't see the ref in his peripheral vision. It's also karma on the refs for all the bad calls they made against the Steelers.

I think it had more to do with him getting out of percy's way. He knew he was going to take out the ref but in his eyes, better then killing the run back.

smokin3000gt
10-26-2009, 02:59 PM
My concern after seeing that play is roger is going to make sure there is a penalty for contact with the zebras.

Shoes
10-26-2009, 03:06 PM

On to my rant:

Thanks!

Come on...this is the real reason your upset...

Adrian Peterson...69 total yards! :chuckle:

steelerzfannforever
10-26-2009, 04:34 PM
We could twist like this all day :)

Let me just say in closing again that I would defend the refs on the OPI call while watching the tape (that's my opinion after reviewing it once during the broadcast).

Dude, STFU and get outta here!! Noone wants to hear your BS any longer. U are wearing purple colored glasses and u know it. Please exit stage left!!

Rick5895
10-26-2009, 04:45 PM
Calls either way very rarely cost a team a game. I thought the trip was iffy as well as I thought the call on Heath was iffy. Refs miss calls all the time, or make calls like holding at some very peculiar times. The vikes didn't lose the game because of the tripping call. Having 1st and goal from our 1 yard line and not scoring cost you. (how in the heck does AP not get the ball all 3 downs)

Angus Burgher
10-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Calls either way very rarely cost a team a game. I thought the trip was iffy as well as I thought the call on Heath was iffy. Refs miss calls all the time, or make calls like holding at some very peculiar times. The vikes didn't lose the game because of the tripping call. Having 1st and goal from our 1 yard line and not scoring cost you. (how in the heck does AP not get the ball all 3 downs)

Thank you! This is the truth.

steel striker
10-26-2009, 05:20 PM
Still the call on Miller was BS and, yes the Tripping calll was bad as well. How about the holding call that was not called on Harvin's TD on the kick off. I know these all have been mentioned but, usually if you are complaining about the calls your team lost deal with it. Steeler football is 60 minutes someday other teams will realize that. Now also that Ron Winter crew always throws alot of flags.

pancake
10-26-2009, 05:29 PM

On to my rant:

Thanks!

I think both calls by the ref was correct.

Miller did pick the CB, but the Minnesota TE also kicked his legs up to trip the rusher.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-26-2009, 09:00 PM
I think both calls by the ref was correct.

Miller did pick the CB, but the Minnesota TE also kicked his legs up to trip the rusher.

:applaudit: Another objective steeler fan!!!! You are absolutely correct. :thumbsup:

smokin3000gt
10-26-2009, 09:11 PM
I think that maybe you guys shouldn't leave the game up to the refs. Put a few more points on the the board and the whole argument is moot.

vikes0487
10-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Hi again, since this thread looks very much alive I thought I'd comment again on my visit.

A couple people have commented on the hold on the kick return, can you point it out on the broadcast tape? Not that I don't believe, just wondering what it is exactly you're focused on.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/minnesota-vikings/09000d5d813ad62c/WK-7-Can-t-Miss-Play-Percy-making-plays

Also, I thought AD was more of a highlight than a disappointment.

Adrian stats:

129 all purpose, 1 TD
22 touches
5.8 yards/carry

Against a high ranking defense in this league I'd say that was better than expected. Sure would have been nice to give him another carry or 2 on the goal line for another TD, though.

willie_district
10-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Hi again, since this thread looks very much alive I thought I'd comment again on my visit.

A couple people have commented on the hold on the kick return, can you point it out on the broadcast tape? Not that I don't believe, just wondering what it is exactly you're focused on.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/minnesota-vikings/09000d5d813ad62c/WK-7-Can-t-Miss-Play-Percy-making-plays

Adrian stats:

129 all purpose, 1 TD
22 touches
5.8 yards/carry

Against a high ranking defense in this league I'd say that was better than expected. Sure would have been nice to give him another carry or 2 on the goal line for another TD, though.

Actually he only averaged 3.8 yd/carry. 69 yards on 18 attempts.

vikes0487
10-26-2009, 09:52 PM
Actually he only averaged 3.8 yd/carry. 69 yards on 18 attempts.

Excuse me 5.8 yards/touch is what I meant.

Sheesh, is this guy strict or what? you guys got the refs posting on your board now too? :chuckle: (sorry, I could'nt resist)

Nadroj 20
10-26-2009, 09:58 PM

Sheesh, is this guy strict or what? you guys got the refs posting on your board now too? :chuckle: (sorry, I could'nt resist)

He was just making a good point, a correct point.

Ill admit though AP did ok, he is the leagues leading rusher for a reason.

Kaeg
10-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Can anyone back me on this? It was early, and I was just getting up this morning when I was watching NFL network. I could have sworn I heard Deion Sanders calling the tripping call a "good call". I'd rather have someone back me on this before I claim it as fact though. Also, I'm glad a few people also brought up what I thought I saw with Miller's OPI call. I thought I saw purple people sort of push or railroad him into the other guy. If that was was the OPI was called for, then I'd probably disagree with it.

rick723
10-26-2009, 10:51 PM
Legs came up = TRIP
End of story

AND our coach did not put ladies stockings and a stewardess uniform on for his team either. He or is it Breanna taking it in the butt?

rick723
10-26-2009, 10:54 PM
Can anyone back me on this? It was early, and I was just getting up this morning when I was watching NFL network. I could have sworn I heard Deion Sanders calling the tripping call a "good call". I'd rather have someone back me on this before I claim it as fact though. Also, I'm glad a few people also brought up what I thought I saw with Miller's OPI call. I thought I saw purple people sort of push or railroad him into the other guy. If that was was the OPI was called for, then I'd probably disagree with it.

It is on the hilights on nfl.com. Sanders did say it

steelerchad
10-26-2009, 10:58 PM

Adrian stats:

129 all purpose, 1 TD
22 touches
5.8 yards/carry

Sure that's an OK day, but probably not what the best RB in the league was hoping for. Our unproven rookie (because he was hurt all last year) had a similar day vs. a suppossed equal defensively.

I wouldn't say 5.8 yards per touch is that great when you're blending receptions and runs. Nothing that hurt our defense anyway, except the Mack trucking of Gay.

rick723
10-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Without reading everything I'll chime in on your whining:

1) The Heath Miller play was a pick. Which is still illegal, and it was the correct call.

2) The tripping was a bogus call in my opinion but anytime a player gets he's legs in the air and it is perceived to be whipping them at another player more times than not the refs are going to call it.

3) THE BOTTOM LINE is that good teams overcome those obstacles regardless of when they occur. Yesterday, the STEELERS did it better than the minnesota farveings.

Well why this then
On harvins run back a viking player is in the center of the picture HOLDING A STEELER who could have made a play on harvin. Feel free to chime in Viking fans. Anout 1/4 way through http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009102504/2009/REG7/vikings@steelers#tab:watch

vikes0487
10-26-2009, 11:11 PM
Well why this then
On harvins run back a viking player is in the center of the picture HOLDING A STEELER who could have made a play on harvin. Feel free to chime in Viking fans. Anout 1/4 way through http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009102504/2009/REG7/vikings@steelers#tab:watch

If you could reference a specific time value in the video I linked to earlier that would help. I'm struggling to see what could even be mistaken as holding.

rick723
10-26-2009, 11:11 PM

You ain't going to see them again in the SB, Turdy, favre will retire after Green Bay beats them next week. Break out the umbrellas, he'll be boo hooing all over our tv's for the next three weeks again. 6 months after that he'll throw the vikes under the bus. Saying they made him play hurt.

Preacher
10-26-2009, 11:19 PM

No, you just need to know that you are posting on a steelers fan board, which means we understand running better than most people in the NFL. From "Hey diddle diddle Rogel up the middle" in the 50's to "The wheels on the Bus go round and round" in the 90's and 00's, this team knows RB's.

Which is why when you try to pass off passing yards as running yards, it'll be called every time. We know better.

Oh yeah, that and the fact that our defense has only had something like 3 100 yard rushers in something like a hundred games or some silly stat like that. Trust me, AP wasn't one of them.

vikes0487
10-26-2009, 11:23 PM
No, you just need to know that you are posting on a steelers fan board, which means we understand running better than most people in the NFL. From "Hey diddle diddle Rogel up the middle" in the 50's to "The wheels on the Bus go round and round" in the 90's and 00's, this team knows RB's.

Which is why when you try to pass off passing yards as running yards, it'll be called every time. We know better.

Oh yeah, that and the fact that our defense has only had something like 3 100 yard rushers in something like a hundred games or some silly stat like that. Trust me, AP wasn't one of them.

I guess I'll take your word for it. :noidea:

Steelers & I
10-26-2009, 11:30 PM

Maybe, I believe that fansince76 is part of an NFL Officiating crew. How else do you think that all of the calls go the Steelers way. :flipoff:

Preacher
10-26-2009, 11:31 PM
I guess I'll take your word for it. :noidea:

You don't have to take my word for it. Look at the box score-

3.8 yd/carry. 69 yards on 18 attempts.

Steelers & I
10-26-2009, 11:39 PM
You don't have to take my word for it. Look at the box score-

3.8 yd/carry. 69 yards on 18 attempts.

From what I saw, Peterson was pretty much STUFFED all day. He broke 1 or 2 for a little distance but other than that, STUFFED! Fred Taylor he's not, Taylor being the only RB in recent memory who consistently ran well versus the Steelers.

vikes0487
10-26-2009, 11:43 PM
From what I saw, Peterson was pretty much STUFFED all day. He broke 1 or 2 for a little distance but other than that, STUFFED! Fred Taylor he's not, Taylor being the only RB in recent memory who consistently ran well versus the Steelers.

That's pretty typical of our offense famine&feast. whether its teams not giving us any daylight because they know what Adrian can do or spotty oline play I don't know. Let me defend our RB though, hes got more talent than any in the game right now.

Fred Taylor had his games. Too bad he couldn't have seasons.

Steelers & I
10-26-2009, 11:49 PM
That's pretty typical of our offense famine&feast. whether its teams not giving us any daylight because they know what Adrian can do or spotty oline play I don't know. Let me defend our RB though, hes got more talent than any in the game right now.

No need to defend him, I agree, he's THE BEST in the business. I'm not saying that Taylor was all that, he had some very good years but constant injuries kept his stock down. I was just saying that Taylor was a Steelers killer, he had many big games versus the Steelers. He simply had their number with his cutback move.

Shoes
10-26-2009, 11:49 PM
GO PACKERS!!!!!!!!!!! :chuckle::chuckle:

SteelersGirlTN7
10-27-2009, 02:54 AM

Speaking of Fred Taylor, and since the OP said he'd "take our word for it" regarding the stat about some big amount of games since we've had a 100 yd rusher...

if I'm not mistaken that (unfortunately) belongs to Mr. Taylor.....
from week 15 of 2007 season .. thats *29* games including postseason

Week 15

JAC 29 @ PIT 22 Final JAC David Garrard: 197 Yds JAC Fred Taylor: 147 Yds JAC Dennis Northcutt: 81 Yds

Uggh! I remember that game! That's the last game I saw in Pittsburgh

Steelers & I
10-27-2009, 05:33 AM
Speaking of Fred Taylor, and since the OP said he'd "take our word for it" regarding the stat about some big amount of games since we've had a 100 yd rusher...

if I'm not mistaken that (unfortunately) belongs to Mr. Taylor.....
from week 15 of 2007 season .. thats *29* games including postseason

Week 15

JAC 29 @ PIT 22 Final JAC David Garrard: 197 Yds JAC Fred Taylor: 147 Yds JAC Dennis Northcutt: 81 Yds

Uggh! I remember that game! That's the last game I saw in Pittsburgh

I remember that ugliness as well, lol. Man I hated facing Fred Taylor.

On November 12, 2000, Taylor accumulated the most yards in a single game of his career against the Pittsburgh Steelers, rushing for 234 yards and 4 touchdowns on 30 carries. At the time it was the 12th-most yards run in a single game in NFL history, and it remains the most ever at Three Rivers Stadium. Coincidentally, Taylor also set the record for most rushing yards for an opposing running back (147) at Heinz Field in a win over the Steelers on December 16, 2007.

I once read the following and found it to be pretty comical:

Fred Taylor is a Steelers killer. He always comes to play against the black n gold. And unfortunately, they can never seem to stop him. They cannot stop him on the ground. They cannot stop him with a hound. They cannot stop his forward run. They cannot stop it with a gun. They cannot stop him here or there. They cannot stop him anywhere.

Oh well, enough about Fred Taylor. I was just trying to make a point to the Vikes fan in the house. 69 yards rushing by Adrian Peterson, please dude, we're NOT IMPRESSED!

fansince'76
10-27-2009, 09:23 AM

27-17. :coffee:

memphissteelergirl
10-27-2009, 09:31 AM
Good. You can go and find another board now. We've been dealing with whining about refs from opposing teams for the last 3 freaking years, ever since Super Bowl XL. The Steelers can never win a game without the refs handing it to us, according to these people. And we're sick and damn tired of it.

The Vikings lost the game. Get over it, deal with it, and move on. And more importantly, quit your bitching!

Amen, brother!!

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::appla udit::applaudit::applaudit:

Kvnfaber
10-27-2009, 10:39 AM

15 FRED TAYLOR 11,472

He's 15th on the ALL TIME list of Rushing Yards.

But yeah, he couldn't have seasons.

fansince'76
10-27-2009, 11:17 AM
15 FRED TAYLOR 11,472

He's 15th on the ALL TIME list of Rushing Yards.

But yeah, he couldn't have seasons.

Exactly. Idiotic statement. Taylor is easily one of the most, if not THE most underrated RB in NFL history.

cubanstogie
10-27-2009, 01:34 PM
Exactly. Idiotic statement. Taylor is easily one of the most, if not THE most underrated RB in NFL history.

True, he and Curtis Martin. Both underrated.

scsteeler
10-27-2009, 02:08 PM

The tripping was what it was tripping but in most cases players do get away with it but this time the guy did not. My Steelers have been guilty of so called falling down with the slight leg whip. Had it not been for that leg whip/tripping Farve would have been sacked again.

vikes0487
10-27-2009, 07:59 PM

I agree, many people have forgotten how talented he is because he can't stay on the field.

steel striker
10-27-2009, 08:44 PM
The bottom line is the refs had nothing to do with the outcome of that game. Two defense turnovers in the final 6 minutes of that game was the difference. In the 10 years that I have been watching the NFL can only recall the pick penalty called one other game. That was not a pick on Miller only Viking fans would say otherwise. If you want to get right down to non calls Peterson hit Gay helmet to helmet. Then after that play AP was yelling and screaming about how he did something special but, after Fox took the pick 6 to the house AP looked like he could cry.

AllD
10-27-2009, 08:59 PM
The bottom line is the refs had nothing to do with the outcome of that game. Two defense turnovers in the final 6 minutes of that game was the difference. In the 10 years that I have been watching the NFL can only recall the pick penalty called one other game. That was not a pick on Miller only Viking fans would say otherwise. If you want to get right down to non calls Peterson hit Gay helmet to helmet. Then after that play AP was yelling and screaming about how he did something special but, after Fox took the pick 6 to the house AP looked like he could cry.

He felt that stinging pride in the back of his neck much like Marcellus Wallace would allude to Butch. Maybe he was rehearsing for his first retirement speech?

spyboots
10-27-2009, 09:09 PM
The defender pushed Miller into the other defender. The Vikings guy dove and stuck out his legs, tripping Harrison.

BehindSteelCurtain
10-27-2009, 09:27 PM
I agree with the guys on NFL network. As soon as Dugan's feet when in the air, the called it.

vikes0487
10-27-2009, 09:31 PM

No, he didn't (it wasn't illegal anyway).

:noidea:

DoctorCAD
10-27-2009, 09:43 PM
No, he didn't (it wasn't illegal anyway).

:noidea:

Looks like Gays head snaps back pretty hard.

No big deal, one stinkin play in 60 minutes. What was the outcome of that drive? I don't even remember.

WIKDCUT
10-27-2009, 10:03 PM
This is getting really old. I'm sick of hearing the whining about the Steelers winning because the refs are in their pocket. I could go back about 2 and a half seasons and find countless missed holding calls on James Harrison. Just about every other play, the linemen puts him in the sleeper hold.

Anyway, Dugan dove and started to roll over and brought his feet up in the air, TRIPPING Harrison. Whether that was his intention, I don't know, but that's what the ref saw.

Miller appeared to be running his route when the defender ran into HIM. I'm sure I'm being a little biased, but that's what I saw.

We all heard this after Super Bowl 40. OPI on the Seahawks in the endzone, tripping call on Hasselbeck, Ben wasn't in the endzone on the TD, blah, blah, blah. Then after last year's Super Bowl we heard it again, blatant holding on the Harrison return, Warner's arm was coming foward on the Woodley strip at the end of the game, blah,blah,blah.

It seems funny that when the Pats win Super Bowls or the Colts or the Giants, there never seems to be this much controversy surronding it. Just sick of the whining. The Vikes are a great team and look to go deep in the playoffs. The Steelers offensive wasn't their best yesterday and the defense stepped up.

The win was legit, get over it!

augustashark
10-28-2009, 12:27 AM
Keep Bi tching, I heard that the league was looking into taking the win from us and giving it to the Vikes.:thumbsup:

tube517
10-28-2009, 12:36 AM
Nice chatting, everyone.

Here's my outtro:

Right back at you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8BEdeAwnxk