mesaSteeler
10-25-2009, 11:09 PM
Starkey: More no-huddle, please
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_649853.html#
By Joe Starkey
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, October 26, 2009

Ten takes on the Steelers' 27-17 victory over the Minnesota Vikings:

The Steelers used their no-huddle offense for one series an eight-play, 91-yard touchdown drive that took all of 75 seconds at the end of the first half. Why abandon it? The no-huddle can't be used exclusively, but as receiver Mike Wallace said: "When Ben (Roethlisberger) is calling his own plays, he's great out there. He looks at the defense and picks them apart. That's one of the things that separates him and makes him great." Roethlisberger made the call on the 40-yard touchdown pass to Wallace. It was the same call, Wallace said, as his 22-yard catch two plays earlier.

Rashard Mendenhall apparently mistook the 5-yard line for the goal line early in the fourth quarter, leaping for no reason. He fumbled and was subsequently replaced deservedly by Mewelde Moore. Mendenhall, who said running backs coach Kirby Wilson made the call to replace him, is convinced he will remain the starter. "I don't think that changed," Mendenhall said. If he fumbles again next game, it might.

Coach Mike Tomlin was asked if putting Moore into the game had to do with Mendenhall's fumble. "It did and it didn't," he said. Mendenhall was asked if he was disappointed to be taken out. "Yes and no," he said. Thanks, guys.

Beautiful end-zone somersault from Wallace, wasn't it? It looked like he took off from the 3. "Everybody gave me grief when I scored in Detroit," Wallace said. "They told me I didn't do a good enough celebration, so I gave 'em a little flip." LaMarr Woodley had some celebration ideas at the end of his 77-yard fumble return, too. "I thought about doing a dance," Woodley said, "and my body wouldn't let me."

Hines Ward didn't seem overly pleased after the game, even if he likes to win more than anything. Ward caught a pass for the 169th consecutive game but finished with just that catch, for three yards, and was targeted only three times. He dropped a pass when he was hammered in the back by Karl Paymah. "They did some good things to take me away," Ward said. "It helped open up other areas, like Mike Wallace scoring. (Two linebackers) were messing with me in the slot, and it enabled Mike to get down the field against their Cover 2."

William Gay held up fairly well as a focal point of Minnesota's game plan. He did not, however, hold up well in a collision with Adrian Peterson on a 29-yard pass play in the fourth quarter. "He can't be human," Gay said. "Dude's made of steel."

For the most part, the Steelers made Peterson look human. He came in with a career average of 5.16 yards per attempt, highest in league history through 36 games. The Steelers held him to 69 yards and 3.8 per carry, easing concerns about how they would hold up in the run game without Aaron Smith.

Can you believe the Vikings had a first-and-goal at the 1 and twice ignored Peterson to try passes? Hideous play-calling by coordinator Darrell Bevell and the Vikings' failure to cross the goal line there went a long ways toward the loss.

No word on whether Jeff Reed and his entourage headed over to McFadden's for some post-game revelry.

I wouldn't mind seeing these two teams go at it again. How about Feb. 7 in Miami?

Joe Starkey can be reached at jstarkey@tribweb.com or 412-320-7810.

Images and text copyright 2009 by The Tribune-Review Publishing Co.

Angus Burgher
10-26-2009, 10:40 AM
Yeah, I think that they need to implement the no-huddle a bit more... maybe two or three times a game. I think that's when Ben shines the most. I was a bit surprised that they didn't go back to it in the second half, especially after Harvin's KR return for a score. Still happy we won the game, but I'd be even happier if all the headlines read things like "BIG BEN EDGES OUT BRETT FAVRE."

steelballs
10-26-2009, 10:53 AM
The no-huddle has been very effective this year and Ben seems very comfortable running it. Against the Vikings it was employed once and it resulted in the only scoring drive for the offense. I'd like to see more of it, but also realize that if it's used more, then it becomes less effective.
It's just like anything else in todays NFL, the more an opponent has to see on film, the easier it is to prepare for.

Steelboy84
10-26-2009, 02:16 PM
The thing is, that was one of our staples during the 2007-08 season when Ben had a breakout year passing. He had like 32 TDs that year. We certainly have the personnel for it. We don't need to wait until we fall behind or the opponent closes the score in on us. But so far we've showed a good mixture of running and passing.

AllD
10-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Bradshaw used to call his own plays and all he got were four Super Bowl rings.

Dodt
10-26-2009, 03:27 PM
i say go fore the no huddle as long as it works.

steeltheone
10-26-2009, 05:04 PM
I was yelling that at the tv. Ben was off his game. No huddle normally gets him in rythem.

Galax Steeler
10-27-2009, 04:33 AM
They would probably use it more if the situations was right. We were not really playing from behind so there wasn't really no need to use it that much. Other teams would start to catch on to it if we used it religiously.

solardave
10-27-2009, 04:40 AM

More no huddle please. Ben seems to be more in his element running the no huddle.
We can also implement the no fumble offense too.I'm pretty sure that would help.
I'm almost over it.

WeegiesWarriors
10-27-2009, 06:14 AM

He had about 5 plays to choose from :toofunny:

The No Huddle compromises the defense in my opinion. I like the change of pace and as long as they pick and choose their moments then that's fine. But to go to a No Huddle offense like the Bills of the 90s I think you would see a decline in the Steeler D.

steelwalls
10-27-2009, 06:44 AM
Ben says he loves the no-huddle and he seems to perform better with it....why not?

HometownGal
10-27-2009, 07:15 AM
I'm all for the no-huddle when it is appropriate to use it. I'd have liked to have seen it more in the Vikes game, but we got the W and I'm A-OK with that. :tt02:

steelwalls
10-27-2009, 07:54 PM
I'm all for the no-huddle when it is appropriate to use it. I'd have liked to have seen it more in the Vikes game, but we got the W and I'm A-OK with that. :tt02:

I agree, :tt04: but wil take it a step farther and say, I'd like to see them just break it out from time to time, even when its not necessary. Catches the D of gaurd, doesnt allow them to sub players (possibly not get plays in at all) basiclly confuses the D...plus statisticly it works very well for us.

Steelers & I
10-27-2009, 11:48 PM

I once attended a motivational seminar where Rocky Bleier was the guest speaker. Bleier said that Bradshaw did indeed call his own plays but there were only 4 plays to chose from, 2 pass and 2 run, with many variations of the 4 plays.

Bleier went on to say that Mike Webster would make all the adjustments at the line of scrimmage. He said that Webster pointed things out to Bradshaw before nearly every snap. Webster essentially called the audibles and adjustments and conveyed them to Bradshaw.

If any of you ever have the opportunity to attend a Rocky Bleier seminar, I highly recommend it. The dude is awesome.

Preacher
10-27-2009, 11:55 PM
I agree, :tt04: but wil take it a step farther and say, I'd like to see them just break it out from time to time, even when its not necessary. Catches the D of gaurd, doesnt allow them to sub players (possibly not get plays in at all) basiclly confuses the D...plus statisticly it works very well for us.

I understand what you're saying... but if we do that, then the opponents start looking for it from us, and start GPing on how to deal with it.

THough when we are behind, I would like to see it be broken out a bit more.

Steelers & I
10-28-2009, 12:03 AM
I understand what you're saying... but if we do that, then the opponents start looking for it from us, and start GPing on how to deal with it.

THough when we are behind, I would like to see it be broken out a bit more.

Yeah it's hard to just start a series with the no-huddle/hurry up offense. Defenses will decide on their personnel based on the personnel that the offense sends out. I would like to see them use it more often from the 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB package. I think that the Steelers have a distinct advantage over the personnel that most teams use to defend that specific offensive package. Holmes, Ward, Wallace, Miller, and either Mendenhall or Moore, that's tough to defend. :tt::tt04::tt02::tt03:

tony hipchest
10-28-2009, 12:06 AM
I once attended a motivational seminar where Rocky Bleier was the guest speaker. Bleier said that Bradshaw did indeed call his own plays but there were only 4 plays to chose from, 2 pass and 2 run, with many variations of the 4 plays.

Bleier went on to say that Mike Webster would make all the adjustments at the line of scrimmage. He said that Webster pointed things out to Bradshaw before nearly every snap. Webster essentially called the audibles and adjustments and conveyed them to Bradshaw.

If any of you ever have the opportunity to attend a Rocky Bleier seminar, I highly recommend it. The dude is awesome.thats a cute (and old) anecdote. unfortunately its not true (just an ancient inside joke).

its all said in humor. jimmy johnson throws out that quib just about every week on the FOX pre-game show.

terry bradshaw also jokes about how his momma only has one eye, and was recently released from prison.

you dont believe that self depreciating humor as truth, do you?

Steelers & I
10-28-2009, 05:59 AM
thats a cute (and old) anecdote. unfortunately its not true (just an ancient inside joke).

its all said in humor. jimmy johnson throws out that quib just about every week on the FOX pre-game show.

terry bradshaw also jokes about how his momma only has one eye, and was recently released from prison.

you dont believe that self depreciating humor as truth, do you?

Yeah, Rocky was quite convincing. He was actually kind of hard on Bradshaw, I don't know what's up with that, but I definitely believe that Mike Webster called many adjustments as the teams lined up.