View Full Version : Injured Steelers welcoming the bye week

mesaSteeler
10-25-2009, 11:18 PM
Injured Steelers welcoming the bye week
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_649863.html#
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, October 26, 2009

The Steelers go into the bye week relatively healthy, though their break comes at a good time for several players.

Inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons left the Steelers' 27-17 win over the Vikings with an ankle injury, and defensive end Travis Kirschke strained his calf in the game.

"Thankfully, we've got a little time to get those things addressed here, not having to play a game next week," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said.

The extra time off the Steelers don't play again until Nov. 9, when they visit Denver also gives Troy Polamalu more time to recover from the knee sprain he sustained in the season opener. The strong safety wore a brace on his left knee yesterday after not using it the previous week against the Browns. When asked how well he moved with the brace, Polamalu said: "Good enough to win."

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger got a chance to meet Vikings counterpart Brett Favre after the game. Not that the two had a long chat after the Steelers held off Favre and the Vikings at Heinz Field.

"He had just gotten smashed by James Harrison," Roethlisberger said. "I don't know if he was in the mood to talk."

The Steelers were missing only one player, outside linebacker Andre Frazier, because of an injury. Frazier has sat out the past two games because of a thigh contusion. Joining him on the Steelers inactives list were wide receiver Limas Sweed, fullback Carey Davis, cornerback Keenan Lewis, guard Kraig Urbik, defensive end Sunny Harris, offensive tackle Tony Hills and quarterback Dennis Dixon.

QUOTABLE

"Since (the media) wrote us off as a defense earlier - maybe you guys think that, but we're just playing, having fun. This game's supposed to be fun, and we got back to that. Quit worrying about making sure we stop people in the fourth quarter because you heard about it so much. Now, it's just time to play football and enjoy it." Free safety Ryan Clark on whether the Steelers' defense needed a game like the one it played against the Vikings.

DIGITS

2 Heath Miller's rank among Steelers tight ends in all-time receptions. Miller, who caught six passes for 38 yards against the Vikings, has 208 career catches and trails only Elbie Nickel (329) in that category.

5 Consecutive games in which the Steelers have given up at least one return for a touchdown, either on special teams or defense.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Galax Steeler
10-26-2009, 04:33 AM
I hope Timmons injury is not bad and he can be ready to play in a couple of weeks. It didn't look good but hopefully he will be ok.

CanadianSteel
10-26-2009, 09:53 AM
He walked off on his own apparntly so hoping that is a good sign.... not sure if it was the same ankle he had problems with missing the first couple games....

MillerMania83
10-26-2009, 08:25 PM
DITTO on the Timmons comments, as I've been thinking the last few weeks how good he looks out there, just getting better and more comfortable each week....DEFINITELY another stud on our D for years to come, I HOPE, lol....Hope the news is good about his injury and hopefully the bye week is just what the doctored ordered for it....Would be nice to see him back out there for the Denver game in 2 weeks, REALLY DARN NICE, lol.

HometownGal
10-26-2009, 09:01 PM
I'm welcoming the bye week too - my blood pressure needs a break. :horror: :chuckle:

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger got a chance to meet Vikings counterpart Brett Favre after the game. Not that the two had a long chat after the Steelers held off Favre and the Vikings at Heinz Field.

"He had just gotten smashed by James Harrison," Roethlisberger said. "I don't know if he was in the mood to talk."

Freakin' priceless! :toofunny::toofunny::thumbsup:

Psyychoward86
10-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Plus Troy gets an extra week to get his knee better! He played with a brace on against the Vikings, remember?

Steelboy84
10-26-2009, 09:06 PM
I'm welcoming the bye week too - my blood pressure needs a break. :horror: :chuckle:

Freakin' priceless! :toofunny::toofunny::thumbsup:

:chuckle:

MasterOfPuppets
10-26-2009, 09:14 PM
how many injuries does this make for timmons now ? he's starting to remind of the china doll we used to have...kendrel bell....:doh:

NEPAsteeler
10-26-2009, 09:19 PM
This bye week certainly does come at the perfect time.

Down with the Donkies! :tt04: :chuckle: