PDA

View Full Version : We've got some score's to settle today

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2006, 12:55 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06022/642047.stm

The Steelers would love to be in this kind of position in Denver today: Leading late in the first half, driving toward a possible third touchdown in Broncos territory with a young quarterback and Jerome Bettis rampaging through a porous Denver defense. ? Time to put a stake through the Broncos, keep Denver's dangerous offense on the sideline, grind down the clock, score and take a good lead into the locker room at halftime. ? It was Jan. 11, 1998, and the Steelers were having their way with John Elway and the Broncos in the AFC championship at Three Rivers Stadium. Bettis had scored one touchdown, and Kordell Stewart ran 33 yards for another. It was 14-10, about to become 21-10, or at least 17-10 at the half.

On second-and-short, the play came down from above. Another run for Bettis? No. A pass, into the end zone. The Broncos' Ray Crockett intercepted, and that put Elway back on the field. Zip, zip, zip, an Elway touchdown pass for Denver with 1:47 left.

Instead of accepting a 3-point halftime deficit, the Steelers tried to move quickly with another late drive by throwing. They went three-and-out. Zip, zip, zip, another Elway touchdown pass with 13 seconds left, and it was over by halftime.

Stewart threw a touchdown pass in the second half, but the Steelers lost, 24-21, and the blame went to the young quarterback and not the coaches who called the first-half plays or Norm Johnson, who missed a 38-yard field-goal try early.

Today will be Bettis' last attempt to reach a Super Bowl, but he remembers Jan. 11, 1998, as a blown opportunity to get there. He rushed for 104 yards against the Broncos, but the decision to put the game in the hands of a first-year starting quarterback at the end of the first half instead of where it should have been cost them a Super Bowl visit.

The Broncos, a wild-card playoff team, went on to win their first Super Bowl, Elway finally was crowned a winner, and the Steelers would continue their bleak record in AFC championships.

Bettis shook his head at that dark memory the other day.

"Yeah, we tried to go for it all, and it backfired on us and we started to slide," Bettis said. "That was the one you say you wish you had it back because there was no reason for you to be in that position to have to throw the football like that, that's the frustrating part."

Today, the Steelers resume what is a fascinating postseason history against the Broncos, but one that has ended mostly in heartbreak for them. This will be their sixth postseason game against Denver, and each of the Broncos' three victories launched them into a Super Bowl.

Click on the link above for the rest....

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2006, 12:55 AM
Here's to our revenge at 3pm today :cheers: :tt:

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-22-2006, 05:16 AM
Payback is a *itchh! What comes around goes around :tt:

3 to be 4
01-22-2006, 06:40 AM
"You have to answer for Santino, Carlo...... Today im settling all family business. Tattaglia. Barzini. Moe Greene. They're all dead. So dont tell me you're innocent because it makes me very angry"

Al Pacino as Michael Corleone in The Godfather

43Hitman
01-22-2006, 07:11 AM
You know I thought it was funny last week when Denver was rooting for us to beat Indy. All I kept thinking was "Be careful what you wish for, you just may get it".

So here we are 8 hours from kick off, and I can't help feeling like we are going to totally dominate this game. I know the match-ups appear to be pretty even, but how many times in the past 6 games have we had a match-up this close? They said we couldn't move the ball on the Bear's vaunted defense, They said Cinncy had to much offense and our corners couldn't handle their wr's, They said Indy with their "super-genius Qb would pick us apart" blah blah blah.

According to all the pundit's we should have been out of it 5 weeks ago. We weren't supposed to beat Cinncy and Indy but we handled them with ease really. Even though the score may not indicate that. So, now we get to play the #2 seed and honestly fella's I see this as a mere road bump to our ultimate goal. SUPER BOWL XL !

Today is the day that the whole world witnesses the STEELER NATION rise up and defeat "impossible odds" on their way to history.

:tt:

clevestinks
01-22-2006, 07:33 AM
Hitman43, I do agree with the old " Becareful what you wish for" theory. The broncos wanted us, now they got more than they can handle.

Revenge? The broncos mean nothing to me! If playing for a chance to go to the Superbowl, isn`t enough to get you fired up, then check your pulse. I wouldn`t care if we were playing the Nationan Guard. I know that our players are hungry for this. Hines Ward and Jerome Bettis, will not let the team forget what is at stake here. Its not the broncos! Its the ring!

3 to be 4
01-22-2006, 08:30 AM
one bit of advise from the grave.....DONT TURN THE BALL OVER!!!!!

SteelCityMan786
01-22-2006, 09:54 AM
Payback is a bitch Denver. We're gonna do something we shoulda done a long time ago. BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF YOU AND KNOCK YOU OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS!

clevestinks
01-22-2006, 10:34 AM
No turnovers, just straight up smash mouth Steelers Football. Then on to Denver!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo Steelers!