PDA

View Full Version : Any of you know THAT fan?

Angus Burgher
10-26-2009, 12:41 PM
You know who I'm talking about. The Steelers fan that, after a win, can only talk about the things the team did wrong and who, after one loss, acts like the team is done for the season.

I work with a guy like this. He is a genuine Steelers fan, but I swear, every Monday after a game... the first words out of his mouth when I see him are something about how "the offense couldn't get anything done" or "the other team looked like they had us on the ropes there at the end" or "Big Ben sucked but at least the defense saved us" blah, blah, blah.

Look, I know that our team is far from perfect. And yes, I've cursed at the TV after a fumble, INT, whatever. And when the Steelers do lose, it's like having my spirit crushed for the week. And I understant that even in a win, it's important to evaluate what did go wrong and try to improve upon it.

By my God, only focusing on the negative is just flat out annoying. Especially when the team wins! So what if Ben only threw for one TD (he actually threw for two, but I'm done fighting about that)? So what if Mendenhall blew a chance to score? So what if it was the defense that finished the game? They won! Would you rather that they put up 48 points on offense but still lost because they other team scored 56?

I guess there's just no pleasing people. This is why I hate fantasy football. People get caught up in statistics and it sucks the fun out of seeing your TEAM... not some individual star player... win.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-26-2009, 12:56 PM
You know who I'm talking about. The Steelers fan that, after a win, can only talk about the things the team did wrong and who, after one loss, acts like the team is done for the season.

I work with a guy like this. He is a genuine Steelers fan, but I swear, every Monday after a game... the first words out of his mouth when I see him are something about how "the offense couldn't get anything done" or "the other team looked like they had us on the ropes there at the end" or "Big Ben sucked but at least the defense saved us" blah, blah, blah.

Look, I know that our team is far from perfect. And yes, I've cursed at the TV after a fumble, INT, whatever. And when the Steelers do lose, it's like having my spirit crushed for the week. And I understant that even in a win, it's important to evaluate what did go wrong and try to improve upon it.

By my God, only focusing on the negative is just flat out annoying. Especially when the team wins! So what if Ben only threw for one TD (he actually threw for two, but I'm done fighting about that)? So what if Mendenhall blew a chance to score? So what if it was the defense that finished the game? They won! Would you rather that they put up 48 points on offense but still lost because they other team scored 56?

I guess there's just no pleasing people. This is why I hate fantasy football. People get caught up in statistics and it sucks the fun out of seeing your TEAM... not some individual star player... win.

Hmmmmmm......:tap:............Naw.

Lucky for us we dont have anyone like THAT in this forum. :chuckle:

SteelC7
10-26-2009, 01:08 PM
its funny i was gonna write a post like this...i understand that, after a loss, yes its ok to be mad at the team IF they shot themselves in the foot and lost a game they really should have won i.e. bungles and bears...but to criticize after a WIN? thats so ridiculous, i honestly think that the ones that just say negative things after a win/loss arent true fans, theyre just complainers who happen to like the steelers wen theyre winning, and if they are a true fan, then theyll be watching the team every week whether we win or lose, so why complain? if ur gonna keep watchin em every sunday/monday and ur bitching does nothing to help or hurt, cuz ya know...YOU'RE NOT A COACH, so why complain so much? like i said, its ok to be mad and vent every once in a while wen the steelers shoot themselves in the foot, but other than that ya gotta let it go

NJarhead
10-26-2009, 01:12 PM
That guy posts here under several different names.

KeiselPower99
10-26-2009, 01:19 PM
I wonder where we find those kinda fans at??

Christian Snyder
10-26-2009, 02:23 PM
We're lucky we DON'T have any of those fans here.:doh::chuckle:

Angus Burgher
10-26-2009, 02:27 PM
LOL, yeah it's a given that we have that guy here on these boards under several different names. But I was more referring to people that you all actually know in real life. Internet bitching is annoying too, though.

And yeah, SteelC7 brings up a good point. Supposedly after the 70's Steelers won their first Super Bowl, Chuck Noll talked to the team about things they needed to work on while they were still in the locker room. Why? Well, because he's the coach, and he also happened to be a genius at that.

The fans are not Chuck Noll. They are not Bill Cowher. They are not Mike Tomlin. If we think they need to work on something, chances are, they already know about it and are working on it.

AllD
10-26-2009, 03:04 PM
He is the cousin of Goerge Costanza.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-26-2009, 03:29 PM
That guy posts here under several different names.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

arge5809
10-28-2009, 10:49 AM

AMEN!! Well said! The curse of Fantasy Football!!!!! :doh: :banging: :tt03: :drink:

steel striker
11-01-2009, 09:05 AM
I call fans like that fair weather fans and, I know a few of them where I live. You know the type complain about the offense or defense then they after a loss they are done with the steelers. I told them steeler nation does not want or need fair weather fans. You are either with us or against us you can't have it both ways.

Indo
11-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Tell them that if they are soooooo upset about how poor we played they should go be Browns fans for the rest of the season...
Then come back next season and cheer for a 6-time effing Suberbowl WINNER after they realize just how good we have it!

EDIT:

change that to "...come back and cheer for a 7-time...WINNER..."

spastasmagoria
11-19-2009, 01:12 AM
I used to think this sort of fan was some kind of strange Steelers phenomenon, but I've found out going to scifi conventions that this particular type of fan crosses "fandoms," be it sports or science fiction or whatever.

Basically, with this type of fan, no one can hate the object of their fan obsession the way they do. They hate every last decision, possibly because they envy the people involved and wish it was them making starting lineup decisions, or play decisions (or in scifi--story or casting decisions). But god help you if you talk about about the object of their obsession. The Steelers could have given the store away, and they may be bitching a blue streak, but if YOU complain, and you're not a Steelers fan, you're probably about to be set on fire.

Tell a Star Trek fan that you hate Star Trek, and you don't get what the fuss is... oh yeah, AND you REALLY hate the new movie most of all. Same deal. They'll go off for 40 minutes on the virtues of the new movie, even though they were just trashing it 5 minutes ago. Same deal as Super Fan.

I suppose we should be thankful they're turning their propensity toward fanaticism toward sports or science fiction (or WHATEVER) and not toward... something more serious. Then they'd be even MORE freakin' unbearable.

:helmet: