PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Clark may not play in Denver

Steelboy84
10-26-2009, 02:44 PM
PITTSBURGH (AP)—Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Clark isn’t injured, yet he isn’t sure if he can play in the team’s next game Nov. 9 at Denver.

Clark couldn’t play again the rest of the 2007 season after becoming ill during an Oct. 21, 2007 game in Denver. He spent the night in a Denver hospital, and his condition worsened after he returned to Pittsburgh.

Clark had to have his spleen and gall bladder removed, and he lost more than 30 pounds before finally regaining his strength. Doctors told him his sickle-cell trait was aggravated by the high altitude in Denver and caused a serious blood disorder.

Because of his condition, Clark also had problems playing in Denver while he was with the Redskins in 2005.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-steelers-clark&prov=ap&type=lgns

steelerchad
10-26-2009, 02:49 PM
I kind of thought Clark would miss this one.
1 game is not worth risking his entire season.
I'm no Dr. but was wondering if flying him in day of the game and back out immediately after would help any. Would 6 hours or so in that environment harm him or would he begin feeling the altitude effects immediately?

devilsdancefloor
10-26-2009, 02:50 PM
He can stay home and stay healthy! Carter, mundy & deshea can take care of it for 1 game.:thumbsup::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04:

Steelboy84
I'd love for him to be able to play, but health comes first. So its probably best if he does sit out. Carter can play for him.

AllD
He would need a hyperbaric chamber like scuba divers use. It's not worth the risk, we will miss you bro.

tyler289
10-26-2009, 02:55 PM
One game does not make a season. I'm fine with sitting Clark out for his health issue. No sense in risking his long-term health.

7willBheaven
10-26-2009, 02:56 PM
I too would rather him stay home for this one. He'll be missed, but if we got through games without Troy we can get through one without him. Who knows what could happen if he did travel, especially after the last time, wow.

stillers4me
10-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Stay home, Ryan.

GridironWarrior
10-26-2009, 03:09 PM
Yeah I don't want Clark to risk his health or future outside of Football for one game. I'd like to smack the schedule maker for making this an away game.

Does Carter or Mundy get the start in his place?

wootawnee
10-26-2009, 03:12 PM
I would suggest going there this week and get acclimated to the elevation..........Go up and stay at a place a little higher than the 5280 feet of Denver's stadium........Take a doctor with you of coarse to moniter everything going on with you........Maybe around 7000..........Then come game time a week later you come down in elevation about 2000 feet and your body just loves you for it......

Alttitude sickness can happen to everybody.........I used to climb all the time and never had it happen to me, then one day I was climbing Mt. Witney and got up around 10,000 and I felt like I was about to explode..........I know that sickle cell syndrom is nothing to mess with, but with the correct doctor who is wise to all of this might be able to overcome it.........

There is a big difference in atmosphere pressure in elevations........That is why your ears pop when you go up or down..........

If your gonna try to play, you gotta go there early this week and see if your body will be ok.........You got to breathe more than normal to get more air to your bloodstream.........A week or more in that elevation is way more healthhy for the body that just flying in for one day and playing all out............You were not adjusted......

I would try to go and stay there.......What if the AFC championship is there?.......

I would seek out mountaineers with knowledge of your situation(sickle cell), and knowledge of being at high alttitudes with it..........They are out there.........

Knowledge can overcome everything if it is possible......Do not be afraid to try and find that knowledge and experience out there.......

Indo
10-26-2009, 03:20 PM
I kind of thought Clark would miss this one.
1 game is not worth risking his entire season.
I'm no Dr. but was wondering if flying him in day of the game and back out immediately after would help any. Would 6 hours or so in that environment harm him or would he begin feeling the altitude effects immediately?

It won't work
Clark likely has Sickle Cell Disease (and not just "Trait") as he has had problems at altitude previously. SC Trait doesn't result in the problems; it merely indicates a "carrier" of the disease who could pass it on to his children.
The problem lies in the red blood cells...in low-oxygen environments (like those at altitude), the red blood cells (RBCs) "sickle"----they go from a round, donut shape to the shape of a sickle---like the Grim Reaper carries. This causes a "clogging" of the arteries of various organs (like the spleen) and can be severe enough to clog the arteries of the brain----resulting in a HUGE stroke or, possibly death. Vigorous exercise (football game) can greatly multiply the effects of the problem because of the "oxygen-debt" that athletes accumulate during the course of a sporting event. Even 6 hours could be dangerous. The hyperbaric chamber isn't a bad idea, provided that no real damage occurs (like a big stroke) prior to getting in the chamber after the game...
I wouldn't even go there (to Denver) if it were me

Steelboy84
10-26-2009, 03:27 PM
It won't work
Clark likely has Sickle Cell Disease (and not just "Trait") as he has had problems at altitude previously. SC Trait doesn't result in the problems; it merely indicates a "carrier" of the disease who could pass it on to his children.
The problem lies in the red blood cells...in low-oxygen environments (like those at altitude), the red blood cells (RBCs) "sickle"----they go from a round, donut shape to the shape of a sickle---like the Grim Reaper carries. This causes a "clogging" of the arteries of various organs (like the spleen) and can be severe enough to clog the arteries of the brain----resulting in a HUGE stroke or, possibly death. Vigorous exercise (football game) can greatly multiply the effects of the problem because of the "oxygen-debt" that athletes accumulate during the course of a sporting event. Even 6 hours could be dangerous. The hyperbaric chamber isn't a bad idea, provided that no real damage occurs (like a big stroke) prior to getting in the chamber after the game...

Knowing all of that, he shouldn't even think about going.

Indo
10-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Acclimating like a mountaineer won't work, either. The reason it works for mountain climbers is that it causes more Red Blood Cells to be produced, thereby increasing the oxygen-carrying capacity to deliver more oxygen to the tissues. That doesn't work with Sickle Cell Disease due to the inherent genetic dysfunction of the cells. In any low-oxygen environment, the cells will sickle. Having more dysfunctional cells (more, because acclimation to the higher altitude by spending more time there) only makes the situation worse because they are all dysfunctional cells.

Incidentally,

Sickle Cell Disease is PROTECTIVE against Malaria. People with Sickle Cell Disease CANNOT get Malaria as the organism that causes Malaria (a parasite) cannot infect sickled cells

TX Steelerfan
10-26-2009, 03:35 PM
It shouldn't even be an issue..... Clark needs to stay home. We'll sure miss his hard hitting, though. We already know what Carter brings (decent run coverage, below-average pass-cover skills), so do you think Mundy is ready?

Indo
10-26-2009, 03:36 PM

I agree. It's a little more complicated than what I posted, but it can be very dangerous---even fatal.

The whole Trait vs Disease thing has to do with how much abnormal hemoglobin his body produces (it's called Hemoglobin S )

Here's a good description of how Sickle Trait can be deadly (long, but some may find it interesting)

http://sickle.bwh.harvard.edu/sickle_trait.html

Texasteel
10-26-2009, 03:41 PM
Missing a future HOFer for one game will hurt, but not as bad a missing him for the rest of the season. More importantly, I don't want to see Ryan hurt again. I get a little nervous after one of his atomic tackles the way it is.

Steel_Bus_24
10-26-2009, 03:45 PM
we need to win this one to avoid having to go out there in the playoffs if we're tied

tony hipchest
10-26-2009, 03:51 PM
I wouldn't even go there (to Denver) if it were methanks for the info and professional opinion. :drink:

you sound like you stayed at a holiday in last night! :wink02:

its time to park clark. (and win the rest of the games cause if we have to meet denver a second time we need to ensure it is in pgh.)

Dino 6 Rings
10-26-2009, 04:04 PM
No Brainer, stay home, we can play the game without Clark. Time for someone else to play up to the Roster Spot and Salary they are paid to be the back up safety.

acumen
10-26-2009, 04:08 PM
He's my favorite Steeler, this isn't worth the risk. Stay home, rest up, read your playbook, and come out ready to decimate some Bengals, simple as that.

Good test for a Carter/Mundy platoon.

Nadroj 20
10-26-2009, 04:49 PM

Agreed.... your health is more important then one game

He will be missed but we need him later

Preacher
10-26-2009, 04:57 PM
It won't work

Thanks for the info. . .

I already had it in my mind that I would HATE for him to play in Denver. LIfe is more important than football.

Now, that is just verified even more. I have to ask... being that I don't know much at all about this stuff... Would blood-doping work? It would seem to me that it puts a lot of "healthy" red blood cells into the blood stream. . . or would it just cause more problems because the sickle cells would still catch, and then the healthy cells would be caught up in the blockage.. . .making everything happen quicker because there are more red blood cells in the blood stream?

Psyychoward86
10-26-2009, 05:08 PM
we'll take care of them Ponies for one game without him. No worries. Stay home, and stay healthy Clark! :tt:

steelreserve
10-26-2009, 05:18 PM
I can't believe he'd even consider going after what happened last time. For god's sake, the man almost died.

Why are we playing them on the road again? Doesn't it alternate back and forth? :noidea:

TX Steelerfan
10-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Why are we playing them on the road again? Doesn't it alternate back and forth? :noidea: I think the game last year, which was played as a result of where both teams finished in their respective divisions for 2007, worked out as a road game and this year's is being played as one of the road intraconference (AFCW) road games, where we get SD and OAK at home and DEN and KC on the road. How they go about choosing which intraconference are on the road and which ones are at home, I don't know. Maybe someone else here knows.

Jmat
10-26-2009, 05:38 PM
I think the game last year, which was played as a result of where both teams finished in their respective divisions for 2007, worked out as a road game and this year's is being played as one of the road intraconference (AFCW) road games, where we get SD and OAK at home and DEN and KC on the road. How they go about choosing which intraconference are on the road and which ones are at home, I don't know. Maybe someone else here knows.

I don't know how they determine who gets the home games but they I don't they don't alternate.
We've played Kansas City in Kansas City the last 12 of 13 games or some crazy number like that. When we played the Chiefs here a few years ago it was the first time in many years they were in Pittsburgh.

As for Clark. I'd be leery about going to Denver if I were him but if the Doctors say it's okay then okay.

Indo
10-26-2009, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the info. . .

I already had it in my mind that I would HATE for him to play in Denver. LIfe is more important than football.

Now, that is just verified even more. I have to ask... being that I don't know much at all about this stuff... Would blood-doping work? It would seem to me that it puts a lot of "healthy" red blood cells into the blood stream. . . or would it just cause more problems because the sickle cells would still catch, and then the healthy cells would be caught up in the blockage.. . .making everything happen quicker because there are more red blood cells in the blood stream?

The Preacher is using his noggin (spelling?)!!

The answer to "Would blood doping work?" is-----maybe

It's actually called "Exhange Transfusion", not blood doping! But the idea is the same.

This is actually done on any Sickle Cell Disease patient that is undergoing surgery to prevent peri-operative complications.The idea is to decrease the relative amount of "bad" hemoglobin (Hemoglobin S) to a lower overall percentage (the recommendation changes over time, but the current recommendation is to transfuse until the Hemoglobin S is 60% or less----some say it should be less than 30%)

Would this work for an athlete at altitude participating in a vigorous activity such as pro-football? Not sure. Maybe if he got the transfusions prior to going to Denver and again just prior to the game. But that's a lot of transfusions (which have their own problems...)

Here's an article about Transfusions in Sickle Cell----long, but pretty thorough

http://sickle.bwh.harvard.edu/transfusion.html

Godfather
10-26-2009, 06:01 PM
I don't know how they determine who gets the home games but they I don't they don't alternate.
We've played Kansas City in Kansas City the last 12 of 13 games or some crazy number like that. When we played the Chiefs here a few years ago it was the first time in many years they were in Pittsburgh.

As for Clark. I'd be leery about going to Denver if I were him but if the Doctors say it's okay then okay.

They do alternate. The non-conference games have an 8 year rotation...for example, in 2002 we played the NFC South and went to New Orleans. In 2006 the Saints played at Heinz. Next year we play at the Dome again (although I won't have an easy time getting tickets like I did in 2002).

The difference is with AFC games, we have two parity games. We play the whole AFC West this year like we did in 2006. We also play the other two first place teams from last year (Tennessee and Miami). It's the parity games that muddle the issue---they come in between the games we play due to the schedule rotation.

As for Clark, he should stay home. It's just not worth it. It wouldn't even be worth it if it were a playoff game and we were guaranteed a loss without him.