PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to the Front Office: Mike Wallace

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-27-2009, 09:00 AM
What do the following NFL wide recievers have in common?

Darrius Heyward-Bey, Michael Crabtree, Jeremy Maclin, Percy Harvin, Kenny Britt, Brian Robiskie, Mohamed Massaquoi, Derrick Williams, Brandon Tate.

Actually all these players share two common traits. Each of them were drafted before the Pittsburgh Steelers Mike Wallace....and each of these players trail Wallace in yardage this year.

To be fair, all of the rookie recievers in last years draft are trailing the young Steeler WR. As of week 7, Wallace has quietly racked up 368 yards as the Steelers #3 reciever and also leads the rookie class with eight 20+ yard catches.

The Steelers drafted Wallace #84 overall in the third round in the 2009 draft, for his ability to stretch defenses deep as an outside receiver. Much was made about Heyward Beys 4.30 forty at the combine but somehow Wallace, and his 4.33 forty, flew under most teams radar. 8 teams picked WR's before the Steelers chose Wallace, with the woeful Browns having the pitiful distinction of drafting two WR's before Wallace came off the boards.

All Wallace did at the combine was post the second best forty, the 4th best vertical junp, and tied for the best broadjump among wide recievers. Take that, his Senior Bowl performance, and Wallace's 18.9 yards per reception as a junior and his 20.1 yards per reception as a senior, and you can begin to see that the Steelers had some idea that they had drafted lightning in a bottle.

Kudos to the Front office and to young Mike Wallace.

CanadianSteel
10-27-2009, 09:28 AM
He looks like a player for sure and looks like a steal at the moment in the third round...... I remember feeling the same about Health his rookie year although he was a first rounder... but you could just tell he was a football player..

stillers4me
10-27-2009, 09:29 AM
I'm lovin' this guy more and more every week.

And he does a helluva front flip, too.

mulldog24
10-27-2009, 09:43 AM
I would really hate to see our team without him this year!! I mean the guy brings so much to our offense and he is just a rookie!!! I tell you what the sky is the limit with our offense with wallace in it and to think he is only going to get better is just crazy!!!!!!!

Nadroj 20
10-27-2009, 09:50 AM

Im loving this guy too....i remember sitting there watching the draft and they came on to talk about him and i was think hmmmm this could be a nice pick up

Sure enough he was and im looking foward to see what he does the rest of the year.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Im loving this guy too....i remember sitting there watching the draft and they came on to talk about him and i was think hmmmm this could be a nice pick up

I gotta be honest...when I saw us draft Wallace with players like Austin Collie, Louis Murphy, Johny Knox, and Quan Cosby still available, I thought we left more talented players on the board.

I was looking for us to draft a player that was a KR first and a WR second. This is why I am glad that they do what they do for a living...and I will stick to what I do.:chuckle:

KeiselPower99
10-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Wallace has been a good pick and he is stretching the field very nice.

Jackal
10-27-2009, 11:46 AM
I'll admit, initially I questioned the front office's sanity when the Steelers chose an aging "60 Minutes" correspondent to fill a spot at wideout, but, I'll admit, I was wrong.

That old man can play!

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:DhynKRu8LMCfSM:http://michaelmanning.tv/blog/uploaded_images/0000035767_20061115182906-797621.jpg

Steelboy84
10-27-2009, 12:30 PM

:applaudit: :applaudit::applaudit: :applaudit:

pepsyman1
10-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Limas who????

lol

SteelerFanInStl
10-27-2009, 12:45 PM
I'm liking Wallace a lot. Great pick by the FO. He's just gonna keep getting better. I can't say that I care for the front flip but I'm old school. :tt03:

scsteeler
10-27-2009, 12:56 PM
Wallace catches the ball and makes Yards after the catch this guy is a great addition to the team.

SCSTILLER
10-27-2009, 01:02 PM
I'll admit, initially I questioned the front office's sanity when the Steelers chose an aging "60 Minutes" correspondent to fill a spot at wideout, but, I'll admit, I was wrong.

That old man can play!

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:DhynKRu8LMCfSM:http://michaelmanning.tv/blog/uploaded_images/0000035767_20061115182906-797621.jpg

:toofunny: OK, that was funny!

I too am pleased with Wallace, he is a heck of a receiver, and if we can keep him around till (not looking forward to this day) Hines retires we will not miss a step with him as a replacement, minus the signature smile!

Nadroj 20
10-27-2009, 01:04 PM

That old man can play!

Wait a second i thought he drove in NASCAR :chuckle:

Jmat
10-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Nate Washington. Antwan Randle El.
There are two guys that have to be wondering what happened to their careers since they left the Steelers.

wootawnee
10-27-2009, 01:44 PM
I love dudes that come out of nowhere........It seems like there is no pressure on them.............

The total opposite with Sweed..............All the pressure Pittsburgh can muster..........

Go figure.......

Well I guess if Sweed never dropped those 2 TD's in the post season last year there would not be any pressure on him...........

43Hitman
10-27-2009, 02:55 PM
I love dudes that come out of nowhere........It seems like there is no pressure on them.............

The total opposite with Sweed..............All the pressure Pittsburgh can muster..........

Go figure.......

Well I guess if Sweed never dropped those 2 TD's in the post season last year there would not be any pressure on him...........

Yeah. I still have confidence that Sweed will come around and be the player we drafted.

AllD
10-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Wallace also has more yards and TDs than Sweed comparing both careers. The Sweed experiment is beginning to look a lot like the Kordell Stewart experiment. Maybe Sweed should try CB.

Aussie_steeler
10-28-2009, 03:09 AM
I gotta be honest...when I saw us draft Wallace with players like Austin Collie, Louis Murphy, Johny Knox, and Quan Cosby still available, I thought we left more talented players on the board.

I was looking for us to draft a player that was a KR first and a WR second. This is why I am glad that they do what they do for a living...and I will stick to what I do.:chuckle:

Good call LLT. I was really keen for Austin Collie. I thought he could be a potential replacement for Hines in a few years. He is going OK in Indy but nowhere as good as Wallace.

MIke Wallace has easily stepped in and taken over Nates roles as our vertical threat. He is easily the steal of the last draft already.

I still believe that Sweed will step up and play a role particularly going over the middle. He has shown that he run blocks like a steeler WR. He may instead slowly work his way into the role Hines now plays upon retirement of 86

Galax Steeler
10-28-2009, 03:29 AM
I am sure glad we got our hands on Wallace he has not made many mistakes in his short career in Pittsburgh. He seems to find the soft spot in the defense and makes a play when needed. I am sure he will still get alot of looks going deep this year he will be a great weapon for Ben for a long time to come.

Steelers & I
10-28-2009, 03:58 AM
[QUOTE=lamberts-lost-tooth;689377]What do the following NFL wide recievers have in common?

Darrius Heyward-Bey, Michael Crabtree, Jeremy Maclin, Percy Harvin, Kenny Britt, Brian Robiskie, Mohamed Massaquoi, Derrick Williams, Brandon Tate.

Actually all these players share two common traits. Each of them were drafted before the Pittsburgh Steelers Mike Wallace....and each of these players trail Wallace in yardage this year.

To be fair, all of the rookie recievers in last years draft are trailing the young Steeler WR. As of week 7, Wallace has quietly racked up 368 yards as the Steelers #3 reciever and also leads the rookie class with eight 20+ yard catches.

The Steelers drafted Wallace #84 overall in the third round in the 2009 draft, for his ability to stretch defenses deep as an outside receiver. Much was made about Heyward Beys 4.30 forty at the combine but somehow Wallace, and his 4.33 forty, flew under most teams radar. 8 teams picked WR's before the Steelers chose Wallace, with the woeful Browns having the pitiful distinction of drafting two WR's before Wallace came off the boards.

All Wallace did at the combine was post the second best forty, the 4th best vertical junp, and tied for the best broadjump among wide recievers. Take that, his Senior Bowl performance, and Wallace's 18.9 yards per reception as a junior and his 20.1 yards per reception as a senior, and you can begin to see that the Steelers had some idea that they had drafted lightning in a bottle.

Kudos to the Front office and to young Mike Wallace.[/

Thank God for the hundredths on the stop watch. After watching Wallace play, it's insane that he slipped to the 3rd round. But I'm glad that he did, great freaking draft choice.

Kaeg
10-28-2009, 06:50 AM
[QUOTE]

Thank God for the hundredths on the stop watch. After watching Wallace play, it's insane that he slipped to the 3rd round. But I'm glad that he did, great freaking draft choice.

LOL. Yea. If he hit 4.29 he would be a Raider right now! Good call, S&I!:toofunny:

HometownGal
10-28-2009, 07:40 AM
I've been quite pleased with Wallace and from watching him in TC this summer, knew he was going to be special. Ben has to be in his glory knowing that he finally has multiple potent weapons out there in Wallace, Hines, Santo and Heeeeeeath! :tt03:

steelerchad
10-28-2009, 07:58 AM
This is the reason the Arizona Cardinals have had so much success through the air. When you have multiple weapons in pass patterns, someone is going to have single coverage and they need to be good enough to expose it.
So far, Wallace has been getting free. If you were a defense game planning for the Steelers ,where do you focus your coverage? With our 3 wideouts and Miller at tight end, we have 4 solid weapons who all have great hands.

sharkweek
10-28-2009, 02:09 PM
This is the reason the Arizona Cardinals have had so much success through the air. When you have multiple weapons in pass patterns, someone is going to have single coverage and they need to be good enough to expose it.
So far, Wallace has been getting free. If you were a defense game planning for the Steelers ,where do you focus your coverage? With our 3 wideouts and Miller at tight end, we have 4 solid weapons who all have great hands.

Mendenhall is proving to be a decent receiver as well, and Moore is even better as a receiving running back.

If Sweed wasn't having a hard time I'd have no hesitation in calling our receiver corps (when considering TEs and RBs as well) the best in the NFL.

AllD
10-28-2009, 03:03 PM

1. Wallace gets open because teams TRIPLE COVER Ward.
2. Teams DOUBLE COVER Holmes.
3. Miller always gets open and draws coverage.
4. Wallace put the time in to study the playbook and he is determined to be a winner.
5. He has great hands.

An elite WR is not necessarily the fastest person on the fieid. If that were true, then every Olympic sprinter would be drafted as a WR. You must have good hands and mental fortitude, if not then all of the speed and route running are for not, aka Sweed. You don't need to be a speedster aka Ward. You can teach route running, especially how to excel in a particular system. If Wallace keeps up we may have a Top 5 receiving unit in the history of the NFL. Just two more SBs will confirm it.

Dino 6 Rings
10-28-2009, 03:37 PM
I don't know...he's too fast for my eyes to focus on so I'm not sure I like the pick after all. I mean its really tough watching a blur scream across my TV Screen when he has the ball. It hurts my eyes. We should probably trade him for a bigger slow but sure handed WR with an inflated salary.

:chuckle:

Fire Haley
10-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Wallace 10X better than Nate.

kirklandrules
10-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Yeah, Wallace is awesome. Two quick points:
1) That touchdown pass looked exactly like the same play prior to it where Wallace caught a 20 yard deep in. I was telling my nephew that had Ben thrown that ball better Wallace would still be running. Next play with the same play called ... touchdown baby!
2) I still think Sweed will get it together and do well. I'm surprised so many fans are dumping on the guy. Hey, if he does get over his slump and becomes a good receiver we'll have a hell of a receiving corps. And with Sweeds size and blocking abilities, it only makes the team that much better. So for his detractors, you might want to change how you route for this guy as you're actually routing for something that detracts from the teams success.

Psyychoward86
10-28-2009, 04:38 PM
isn't Wallace supposed to be a slot receiver? Or do you guys think we'll continue to see him lining up to the outside?

AllD
10-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Ward is the slot now. Wallace would be slot if he couldn't get loose deep or had questionable hands deep. The man can get open deep and has big play ability. He can score a TD at any time. Holmes, same thing with a little juking. Ward can juke too, but he isn't going to outrun everybody like Holmes and Wallace.

If you have the ability to catch the ball, run the route to get open, and fly past everybody, then you have something that not many others have. Ironically, the Vikes' Cover 2 D was supposed to prevent the big play which really sent them to the lockeroom at halftime with a giant knot in their bellies.

Wallace is benefitting from defenses making a choice of blanketing Ward and Holmes. Unfortunately, Wallace is getting a lot of media attention and they will begin to account for him, but that will open up Ward and Holmes more.

Miller is always open. Throwing to him is a matter of do you want around 8 definite yards or does BB want a big play for 20+.

Steely McSmash
10-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Wallace is looking like a great pick.

Re: the slot, why do you think he's supposed to be there? I think he could potentially play anywhere. One thing about the slot is that it's harder to learn. Not 100% sure why that is but I think the blocking on LBers might have something to do with it. With his speed, he's more of a standout on the end in my opinion. The slot guy might get covered by a safety or linebacker so flat out speed is not as critical.

This has been a good draft year for receivers I think. Harvin, Knox, Maclin, Murphy have all flashed some good stuff. Murphy and Knox are great deals as well.

Ever notice that the Steelers have a ton of guys from the gulf area? Kind of odd that way. Maybe a good or influential scout from that area?

theplatypus
10-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Holy crap! A positive thread

Kudos to the FO and the OP.

tony hipchest
10-28-2009, 07:49 PM

ah yes... the next willie reid. :doh: looks like they learned from that failed 3rd round experiment.

i dont know if you saw this pre-season ross tucker article i posted in another mike wallace thread... its pretty telling.

The prototypical NFL receiver is big and fast, capable of making big plays down the field by either out-muscling or simply out-running the defenders. Think Randy Moss and Terrell Owens over the past 10 years, sans the baggage and the drama.

Teams are constantly trying to find such players, which is why in the first round of this year's draft the Raiders, 49ers, Giants and Titans took Darius Heyward-Bey, Michael Crabtree, Hakeem Nicks and Kenny Britt, respectively. Each is at least 6-foot-1 and all are over 210 pounds, so they fit the mold. But is bigger necessarily better when it comes to getting immediate production from these players? Recent history suggests otherwise.

Though there were no wide receivers taken in the first round in 2008, 10 went in Round 2, and a quick look at their first-year statistics paints an interesting picture. The success among the smaller guys was led by 5-10, 182-pound Eddie Royal of Denver, who embarrassed then-Oakland cornerback DeAngelo Hall in the season opener on Monday Night Football to the tune of nine catches for 146 yards and a touchdown. That was just the opening salvo in a season that saw Royal finish with 91 catches for 980 yards in 15 games.

Philadelphia's DeSean Jackson is another example of a small receiver having a big impact as a rookie. At 5-10, 175, he finished with 62 catches for 912 yards, but only two touchdowns. Even the surprise first receiver taken in 2008, 5-11, 184-pound Donnie Avery of St. Louis, had a stellar debut. He had 53 catches for 674 yards and three touchdowns, not too shabby for a 'rook.'

What about the big boys? They had virtually no impact. The biggest of the bunch, Buffalo's James Hardy (6-5, 212) and Pittsburgh's Limas Sweed (6-4, 220), were non-factors for their franchises. Washington's duo of Devin Thomas (6-2, 220) and Malcolm Kelly (6-4, 227) were doubly disappointing in their first seasons. Of the big wide receivers, Jordy Nelson (6-3, 217) of Green Bay had the best numbers, with just 33 catches for 366 yards.

So, what gives?

"I really don't know," said Royal when asked about the discrepancy between big and small. "I think we were fortunate to be in good situations with good offenses."

There is some truth to that sentiment given that Royal and Jackson caught balls from Jay Cutler and Donovan McNabb, respectively. But the Rams didn't have a very good offense and that didn't slow down Avery. Sweed, meanwhile, played for the Super Bowl champion Steelers and still managed only six catches from Ben Roethlisberger.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to intimate that the era of the dominant man-child receiver is over. Not even close. In fact, Arizona's Larry Fitzgerald (6-3, 220) and Houston's Andre Johnson (6-3, 223) are clearly the two best receivers in the world right now and both look like Tarzan and play like him. Maybe with the recent crop of rookie receivers it will simply take the more physically imposing guys longer to get their careers started and the smaller guys will find they have a ceiling and are somewhat limited as a result of their stature. It's possible.

But there has to be something to this when it comes to rookie wideouts in the modern NFL making an impact. What is that expression again? Once (Royal) is an accident, twice (Jackson) is a coincidence, but three (Avery) times is a trend. It certainly seems to be the case based on last season, especially when you consider how little their oversized counterparts did.

What does all this mean for this year's rookies? I would keep my eyes on Minnesota's Percy Harvin (5-11, 192) and Philadelphia's Jeremy Maclin (6-0, 198). Though neither guy is as small as Royal, Jackson or Avery, they also aren't your standard physical specimens either. Most reports indicate both of those guys are already lighting it up in spring workouts while their bigger counterparts Heyward-Bey and Crabtree have been limited by injuries and are behind the eight-ball at the moment.

Given last year's trend among second-rounders, maybe this big vs. small debate is not just limited to the big-money picks. It will be interesting to see how undersized 2009 third-rounders like Seattle's Deon Butler (5-10, 182) and New England's Brandon Tate (6-1, 195) stack up in terms of production versus the likes of monster ball-catchers like the Giants' Ramses Barden (6-6, 229) and Miami's Patrick Turner (6-5, 223). Based upon recent precedent, my money is on the little guys.

im pretty sure if he was given the touches of a #1 or #2 wr on a team with ben, manning, cutler, mcnabb, etc. he could put up numbers like royal or d. jackson did last year.