PDA

View Full Version : Bengals game in 2 weeks - Must win?

steelerchad
10-27-2009, 10:04 AM
I think it is.
If you look at Cincy's schedule the rest of the way, they could easily be 12-4 with a win over us in 2 weeks. They would also hold the tie breaker at that point.
If we want to win the division we have to have this game. I never would have thought this game would be the biggest on the schedule this year, but it clearly is.

The_WARDen
10-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Nope unless a week 10 game will keep them out of the playoffs, it's not a must win.

stillers4me
10-27-2009, 10:21 AM
It is as far as I'm concerned.

How would you like to live here?

The Bengals have an easy stretch for the next few games. And then reality hits them.

Here's to taking the sole division lead. :cheers:

Dino 6 Rings
10-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Pretty sure our next game is against the Broncos and that's the only game that matters at this point. We have to win that game since they are an AFC Team and currently have 6 wins.

CanadianSteel
10-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Looks like I picked the right game to come down to the Burg for this year to root my Steelers on in person.
The week we play Denver after the bye, I believe the Ravens play at Cincy so I think we may need to cheer for the Ravens in that case....although I am not sure I could actually do that :)

stillers4me
10-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Not only is Denver the next game, but we still have both Ravens games to deal with. The Steelers and the Ravens always hit each other hard and give each other their best. Any given Sunday, my friends.

stillers4me
10-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Looks like I picked the right game to come down to the Burg for this year to root my Steelers on in person.
The week we play Denver after the bye, I believe the Ravens play at Cincy so I think we may need to cheer for the Ravens in that case....although I am not sure I could actually do that :)

It sure wouldn't hurt to have the Ratbirds and Bungles spit..............and then to have us take care of business with 2 Ravens wins.

Christian Snyder
10-27-2009, 10:28 AM
I think it is.
If you look at Cincy's schedule the rest of the way, they could easily be 12-4 with a win over us in 2 weeks. They would also hold the tie breaker at that point.
If we want to win the division we have to have this game. I never would have thought this game would be the biggest on the schedule this year, but it clearly is. We play the Broncos in 2 weeks.....

steelerchad
10-27-2009, 10:44 AM
We play the Broncos in 2 weeks.....

If you'd like to be technical about it, then in 2 weeks and 5 days we play the Bengals.
Or in 2 games we play the Bengals, not 2 weeks.

Sure, I want the team to focus on Denver this week and not even think about Cincy.
But as fans, we can look ahead and if someone said you could only win one of the next 2 games, but not both, you better believe we need the Bengals game more than the Broncos game. It's a more important game from a standings standpoint, no doubt.
Just like a would have traded a loss yesterday vs. a win against the Ravens, Bengals, or Broncos if given that choice.

plenewken
10-27-2009, 10:55 AM
I think it is.
If we want to win the division we have to have this game. I never would have thought this game would be the biggest on the schedule this year, but it clearly is.

Games against AFC North teams are always the most important, then games against AFC teams, then games against NFC teams. So the game against Cincy will be very important but our next game against Denver is important too.

mulldog24
10-27-2009, 11:08 AM
All I know is we let them get away with 1 earlier in the year so it's payback time!!! But you have to take 1 game at a time and not overlook anyone.

Nadroj 20
10-27-2009, 11:12 AM
Every division game is a must win.

Steelboy84
10-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Every game against a division opponent is a must win.

The_WARDen
10-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Every game against a division opponent is a must win.

Soooo, the first game that they lost to the Bungles killed their playoffs chances how?
:noidea:

Fire Haley
10-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Bengals are a hot team - the Steelers better be ready for them this time.

If they want to win the division, that game will be critical.

plenewken
10-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Soooo, the first game that they lost to the Bungles killed their playoffs chances how?

Nobody said that losing to Cincy kiiled our playoff chances but it was certainly more damageable than to lose to Chicago. It's much safer to win our division than to hope to make the playoffs with a wildcard, IMO.

steelreserve
10-27-2009, 12:06 PM

If you look at their schedule the rest of the way, they could just as easily be 5-11. They've gotten some big wins, but they have me FAR from convinced that they're an elite team, or consistent on any level.

And we really should've won the game we played against them. Easily. It should've been a goddamn dickstomping. Stupid mistakes. If it's even close when we play them again, I'll be surprised.

KeiselPower99
10-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Every game is a must win.

Dino 6 Rings
10-27-2009, 12:27 PM
The Bengals remaining schedule...for the record:

Baltimore
at Pittsburgh
at Oakland
Cleveland
Detroit
at Minnesota
at San Diego
Cheifs
Jets

I picked them to be the 2nd team in the AFC North way earlier this year, back in Early August (I can find the thread for any doubters) But I picked US to win the AFC North. We will win it if we do what we must do each week. Beat who is put in front of us.

Bengals shocked us and got us good, with Troy out of the lineup and our Defense having a melt down late. We had a 13 point lead if I remember right in that game in the 4th, They had NO business winning that game and I sure as heck do not fear them beating us again.

Once in a while even a blind squirrel finds a nut, and they did that already against us. Won't happen twice.

steelerchad
10-27-2009, 12:33 PM
If you look at their schedule the rest of the way, they could just as easily be 5-11. They've gotten some big wins, but they have me FAR from convinced that they're an elite team, or consistent on any level.

And we really should've won the game we played against them. Easily. It should've been a goddamn dickstomping. Stupid mistakes. If it's even close when we play them again, I'll be surprised.

That's an overstatement to be sure, saying that they could just as easily end the season at 5-11 as 12-4. Also, I prefaced that by saying they could go 12-4 "if" they beat us in a couple of weeks which is why I say it's a must win. So 11-5 if we beat them.
I'll tell you what let's split the difference and if they are 7-9 or worse you win, if they are 9-7 or better I win. 8-8 push. I'd bet about any amount of money you want on that one.
Their remaining schedule is:
Ravens
@ Steelers
@ Raiders
Browns
Lions
@ Vikings
@ Chargers
Chiefs
@ Jets

They have 4 teams that are in the bottom 7 teams in the league left on their schedule. Yea, they could drop 1 of those, but probably not more than 1.

On your second point, I would agree on that one. We should have won that one.

fansince'76
10-27-2009, 12:37 PM

We have the current-longest winning streak in the AFCN. We're hot at the moment too. And we have the revenge factor for the next meeting. They'd better be ready as well.

stlrtruck
10-27-2009, 02:00 PM
With them winning over the bears last weekend, it is becoming more of a must-win game but also, I give the bungals credit - they always find a way to screw it up in the end. The bungals are hot right now and with the way they've won a few games this year they are starting to get that feeling of "HOPE" that this year could be their year.

I would say that both these next two games are must-win games. Reason being that the bungals lost to the broncos and since they beat the bears, beating the broncos and them would actually give us the immediate tie-breaker over them.

Steelboy84
10-27-2009, 02:24 PM

Who said anything about killing our playoff chances? Did I say that or mention that? No.

If you want to WIN your DIVISION, you must WIN DIVISION GAMES!!!!

You know, sorta like 2+2=4? You know? Eh, maybe you don't know.

:joker:

Steelboy84
10-27-2009, 02:25 PM
Nobody said that losing to Cincy kiiled our playoff chances but it was certainly more damageable than to lose to Chicago. It's much safer to win our division than to hope to make the playoffs with a wildcard, IMO.

:applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit:

Steelboy84
10-27-2009, 02:25 PM

*mouth, open wide and insert foot*

Jmat
10-27-2009, 02:26 PM

If they want to win the division, that game will be critical.

They aren't known as the Bungles for nothing.

Raynestorm
10-27-2009, 03:55 PM
It's a must win because we don't want to give them the tie breaker, but I think they have a tougher remaining schedule, especially the last three.

Rayne

Rick5895
10-27-2009, 04:18 PM
I see the Bengals losing 4 more games, that being 4 of this 5 opponents Ravens, Steelers, Vikings, Chargers or Jets. Even after our horrible 1-2 start (lol) i figured we would be 12-4. Us 12-4 Bengals 10-6. But to make sure that Bengals game is sure a must win. As is Denver!!

tony hipchest
10-27-2009, 06:42 PM
heres the best way to look at it- our last loss to the bungles was a 2.5 game swing.

bengals and steelers are tied at 5-2, however the bungles currently hold the tiebreaker which for all intents and purposes is worth half a game.

had the steelers not allowed that conversion of 4th and 10 steelers 6-1, and the bungles 4-3. = 2 games.

the steelers better look at all 4 remaining divisional games as must win, just like 5 games last year vs the ravens, chargers, patriots, and cowboys were. lose 2 of those and we could be like the patriots missing the playoffs at 10-6, or 11-5 and the ravens are the sb champs.

:shout: must wine can no lose (starting with denver)! :tt02: