PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody else have a spouse that despises Game Day's?

BlastFurnace
10-27-2009, 09:25 AM
Admittedly, I have a great marriage.....but there is one thing that my wife absolutely hates and that is Sunday's when I am watching a Steelers game. That being said....I don't cuss, throw things, or treat my family like dirt during the game...and I don't just sit around doing nothing...I fold laundry during games, clean the kitchen after the Sunday meal, vacuum, etc. I will yell at the TV from time to time, and cheer very loudly when the Steelers are doing well. If anything, I display more emotion in what I say on the Gameday Thread on this message board than I outwardly do around my own family.

My wife hates this...I mean absolutely hates it. Says the neighbors are probably going to complain eventually....though I highly doubt that. I don't like going to sports bars, so I pay for the NFL Ticket every year so that I can watch it in my own home.

If anyone else has this dilemma....how do you deal with it.?

Pittsky
10-27-2009, 09:38 AM
no problems at my house...i usually have 1 or 2 couples over and we cookout (jags and bears fans)...i have sunday ticket as well and i converted my GF from a Giants fan to a Steelers fan...she grew up in a NY household......just recently took her to her first nfl game. she loved it.

if your wife isn't into it, she isn't into it...not much you can do...but if you haven't tried yet, try including her somehow...she might feel left out... who knows?

vasteeler
10-27-2009, 10:48 AM
my wife hates football and hates the fact that on sundays i watch football but she deals with it pretty well. she even rips into me when we loose. for example after the bengals loss she told me " dont be upset honey its not your fault your team is a bunch of incompetent pussies" all i could do was:rofl: :banging::banging:

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-27-2009, 11:07 AM
My wife is a Colts fan but dons the Black & Gold during the playoffs and Super Bowls to support me.
Every week she makes sure I have all the fixen's for me to make my "sub-sammich's" with chips and dip, and she knows to give me an hour or two to get over a loss.

KeiselPower99
10-27-2009, 11:23 AM
My wife has no problems watching the Steelers or the Mountaineers. Its the other games she dont like to watch.

SCSTILLER
10-27-2009, 11:25 AM
My wife likes gamedays, she actually dreads the offseason. She doesn't like me to help her clean (bonus) and she cleans on Sundays, so if it is football season I am off to my friends house or the Steelers bar down the road. It is a nice agreement that we have going, I am the chef she is the cleaner. If it is a big game she will even drop me off at said house/bar and pick me up afterwards just in case. Now during the offseason I have to find a way to be gone, usually hit the bike or go for a run, but it is easier to just go watch the game.

Dino 6 Rings
10-27-2009, 11:32 AM
My wife goes out of her way to show me love on Gameday. Usually I get a nice large breakfast, the remote is waiting for me when I get to the living room. Then she always has some type of lunch ready for the game and will watch most of the game with me if it isn't one of those nail biter games. Those make her nuts so she has to cover her eyes or find something to distract her. For big games whe wears either her Bettis Jersey or even the Mean Joe Greene throwback jersey.

She's great on game day. The only thing that I think bothers her is the other football I watch, like every college game, every other NFL game, every highlight of every game for days leading up to the next weekend (starts Thursday with College Football) I think that taxes her but she puts up with me.

I think I'll keep her !!!

stlrtruck
10-27-2009, 12:50 PM
My wife despised sports when I met her. There wasn't an ounce of caring for sports in her bones and although the amount of sports in her bones now is minimal, she still despises game days, hates football on TV, hates when sports interrupts what she wants to watch, etc.

Once a month she gets a reprieve from my fanaticism and I go to the bar and watch the game with the fan club. However, that doesn't include anytime the Steelers are on Prime Time and that's when she gets a bit frustrated.

stlrtruck
10-27-2009, 12:51 PM
My wife goes out of her way to show me love on Gameday. Usually I get a nice large breakfast, the remote is waiting for me when I get to the living room. Then she always has some type of lunch ready for the game and will watch most of the game with me if it isn't one of those nail biter games. Those make her nuts so she has to cover her eyes or find something to distract her. For big games whe wears either her Bettis Jersey or even the Mean Joe Greene throwback jersey.

She's great on game day. The only thing that I think bothers her is the other football I watch, like every college game, every other NFL game, every highlight of every game for days leading up to the next weekend (starts Thursday with College Football) I think that taxes her but she puts up with me.

I think I'll keep her !!!

Would she like to start a week long retreat for other spouses to learn such greatness? :thumbsup:

Hammer Of The GODS
10-27-2009, 01:17 PM
My wife hated football season too........ so I got rid of that bitch. (she is the spawn of satan) :chuckle:

I found a girl who not only supports my love of the Steelers but goes out of her way to get me tickets to at least one game a year and showers me with Steeler gear every chance she gets.

It never ceases to amaze me that women like us so much they want to marry us, then after the shackles are on they commence the "changing". WTF?

hindes204
10-27-2009, 02:40 PM
My wife could really care less about football, but she supports my love for the steelers. She wears steelers gear, and will even watch the games with me, sometimes she will even cheer for them to win, but i know she doesnt care at all. She likes to talk about how hot tom brady is :banging::banging:. and says that ben looks like will farrell. So i gotta good wife, she doesnt care about football at all, but is very supportive of me. She even bought me tickets to a game in Dallas (which we won :tt03:) back in 04 when we were dating......thats when i knew she was a keeper :chuckle:

devilsdancefloor
10-27-2009, 02:49 PM
my sons & 1 odf my daughters ae huge steelers fans which KILLS my wife she is a cowboys fan. But she will not sit and watch a game with me unless the cryboys are playing the steelers. i know my neighbors think i am insane on sundays i yell a bit when things go bad and i yell when it goes good as well. But the last year or so she has bought me steelers gear.

fansince'76
10-27-2009, 02:49 PM
My wife....likes to talk about how hot tom brady is :banging::banging:

She does know he's a homo, right? :chuckle:

Pittsky
10-27-2009, 03:31 PM
She does know he's a homo, right? :chuckle:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j141/jsmeresky/TomBrady.png

Dino 6 Rings
10-27-2009, 04:14 PM
She even bought me tickets to a game in Dallas (which we won :tt03:) back in 04 when we were dating......thats when i knew she was a keeper :chuckle:

My wife and I actually went to that game too!

Vinny Fumbled, Kimo recovered it. Then Staley ran the ball inside the 10 yard line, Bettis came out and the crowd errupted as WE Took over that Stadium! Oh Yeah. That was the moment she officially joined Steelers Nation!

BlastFurnace
10-27-2009, 04:37 PM

Vinny Fumbled, Kimo recovered it. Then Staley ran the ball inside the 10 yard line, Bettis came out and the crowd errupted as WE Took over that Stadium! Oh Yeah. That was the moment she officially joined Steelers Nation!

I was there as well. I have never been to a stadium where the visiting team was louder than the home crowd. They still talk about that game around here from time to time on the radio.

People around here compare it to a Texas vs Oklahoma crowd with each side being well represented at the stadium.

hindes204
10-27-2009, 07:26 PM

I was there as well. I have never been to a stadium where the visiting team was louder than the home crowd. They still talk about that game around here from time to time on the radio.

People around here compare it to a Texas vs Oklahoma crowd with each side being well represented at the stadium.

yea, that game was awesome!!! I remember when Bettis came out, i went nutz....we had really good seats too, i was pretty close to the field. I was amazed at how many steelers fans were there, that was the first away game i was ever at

steelwalls
10-27-2009, 07:44 PM
Most of my friends here know Im in China, and my wife is Chinese. Before we met she knew what 'American' football was (BTW translates as Olive ball in Chinese????) but since she has learned the game she loves it.

AllD
10-27-2009, 07:49 PM
I send my girlfriend to work with Steeler earrings and have dinner ready for her when she gets home. She knows better than to try and get between me and my Steelers.

HometownGal
10-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Never had that problem because the men I was married to and the guys I dated had to be diehard Steelers fans like me. :tt02:

GBMelBlount
10-27-2009, 10:21 PM
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j141/jsmeresky/TomBrady.png

I wonder if that dimple is from having his chin rammed into the headboard so many times. :hunch:

tony hipchest
10-27-2009, 10:34 PM
I wonder if that dimple is from having his chin rammed into the headboard so many times. :hunch:

nope...

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/wrk_wallballs1.jpg

...its just from all the balls on his chin.

stillers4me
10-27-2009, 10:38 PM
My husband has the perfect wife. :tt03:

Shea
10-27-2009, 11:00 PM
Blast, have you ever tried to watch a game with her? Get her to sit down with you for a few games and educate her, starting off with the basics about how downs work, and go from there.

I've noticed that women in general that hate football have no clue about how the game works. Once you establish the general basics, then their knowledge of the game will expand from there and before you know it they just might get hooked.

Plus being a woman I enjoy watching men play sports. I have a huge love for football, but human nature kicks in sometimes and therefore I appreciate looking at the players.

Try it, and if things don't go well just keep pointing to the hotties on the field to buy you some extra time to get her envolved in the game.:chuckle:

Preacher
10-27-2009, 11:57 PM
My wife LOVE's gamedays....

It allows her to get stuff done around the house without me bugging her!! :chuckle:

Except when she is trying to take a nap.

MACH1
10-27-2009, 11:59 PM
Try it, and if things don't go well just keep pointing to the hotties on the field to buy you some extra time to get her envolved in the game.:chuckle:

The Steelers don't have cheerleaders. :chuckle:

steelwalls
10-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Never had that problem because the men I was married to and the guys I dated had to be diehard Steelers fans like me. :tt02:

lol.. I could see it now...guy walks up to HTG in the bar, nice looking fellow....begins to chat....football comes up....guy says, oh...my team are the ravens sugar....

.... drink in the face...HTG walks away.... :sofunny:

Preacher
10-28-2009, 08:22 PM
lol.. I could see it now...guy walks up to HTG in the bar, nice looking fellow....begins to chat....football comes up....guy says, oh...my team are the ravens sugar....

.... drink in the face...HTG walks away.... :sofunny:

Drink in the face? HTG seems like the down-to-earth type of girl that wouldn't waste the money on a Raven's fan!

Shea
10-28-2009, 10:19 PM
The Steelers don't have cheerleaders. :chuckle:

MACH, I've got you figured out. You're nothing but trouble. :buttkick::chuckle:

steelwalls
10-28-2009, 10:38 PM
Drink in the face? HTG seems like the down-to-earth type of girl that wouldn't waste the money on a Raven's fan!

Yeah i guess you're right. She should calmly order a glass of water then proceed with throwing it in his face...good point.