PDA

View Full Version : Question Mark for Steelers D : William Gay

wootawnee
10-27-2009, 03:05 PM
William Gay seems like he is the one to pick on in our secondary, with good cause........I feel he is not living up to expectations for Steeler football......Not because he got creemed by A.P.,but because it seems he does not defend passes all that well.......
Does anyone else have this opinion?......

What other options do we have?....

Sharkissle29
10-27-2009, 03:10 PM
IMO, minus the peterson play, he is a pretty sure tackler. coverage could use some work i suppose

steelreserve
10-27-2009, 03:22 PM
He seems like he's doing OK. Not great, but OK.

If he doesn't turn out to be an ace, give the two rookies some time and one of them will probably end up being decent. In the meantime, if Gay suffers some kind of epic collapse, Townsend could always fill in nicely if he had to. I'm not worried about our depth or our future at CB.

Steelboy84
10-27-2009, 03:24 PM
IMO, minus the peterson play, he is a pretty sure tackler. coverage could use some work i suppose

That play is all over youtube.

AllD
10-27-2009, 04:31 PM
Put in Sweed to cover. He might even come up with a pick.

GridironWarrior
10-27-2009, 04:43 PM
Put in Sweed to cover. He might even come up with a pick.

ROFL, you almost made me laugh out loud at work just now. I think Gay is doing ok. I donít really judge him on the Peterson play cause Peterson is just that special player that you get every 50 years or so. Iím more concerned that Keenan Lewis has received no playing time. Iíve read things in the off season comparing him to Ike Taylor.

SteelGhost
10-27-2009, 05:21 PM
William Gay seems like he is the one to pick on in our secondary, with good cause........I feel he is not living up to expectations for Steeler football......Not because he got creemed by A.P.,but because it seems he does not defend passes all that well.......

IMHO, he played better than Clark against the Vikes :noidea:

I agree with steelreserve, let's give the guy some more time :wink02:

Cheppy
10-27-2009, 05:27 PM
I'd feel better if Mcfadden was out there.

Dino 6 Rings
10-27-2009, 05:36 PM
Gay had some struggles in college with being all or nothing. He'd make great plays, or get burned bad. I think he's actually settled down this season, doesn't seem to be out of position or giving up the big plays. The Peterson run over is what it is, a Truck crushing a hybrid two seater. Other than that, I can't pick out any one play that he "failed" on this year.

I can pick out plenty of plays that Ratliff failed on while filling in for Troy however.

solardave
10-27-2009, 05:41 PM

I think Gay is a better corner than Mcfadden. I even think he had a better game Sunday than Ike did. Ike got turned around a couple times and was lucky he didn't give up a big play.

Cheppy
10-27-2009, 05:46 PM
I think Gay is a better corner than Mcfadden.

I strongly disagree. In fact, I think McFadden was better as a rookie than Gay is now. That play where he broke up a pass to Wayne in the endzone towards the end of the 05 divisional game against the Colts was one of the best, textbook plays I've ever seen a corner make. And he's most definitely better against the run.

Fire Haley
10-27-2009, 05:58 PM
No - you parrots are looking for a scapegoat after a win now? Do you even watch the games?

Gay had a good game, like usual, making sure tackles behind the LOS and he made a beautiful break-up of a pass that he almost picked off. He had one or two bad plays that made him look bad to casual observers.

Cheppy
10-27-2009, 06:08 PM
No - you parrots are looking for a scapegoat after a win now? Do you even watch the games?

Do you even know how to read? I never said Gay was a bad player. Just that McFadden is an all around better player (which he is) & I'd feel better with him as the #2 corner.

jasonhightower
10-27-2009, 06:17 PM
I actually thought Ike Taylor looked pretty silly on a few plays defending Rice. Way out of position... If I remember correctly Gay played pretty decent last year.

Fire Haley
10-27-2009, 06:17 PM
Do you even know how to read? I never said Gay was a bad player. Just that McFadden is an all around better player (which he is) & I'd feel better with him as the #2 corner.

Well McFadden isn't on our team is he?

I wish we had Adrian Peterson instead of Willie Parker.

Go cry about something else. Gay is a good player.

Cheppy
10-27-2009, 06:25 PM

We never had Peterson nor were we in a position to sign him to a long-term deal. (at a discount price no less)

Go cry about something else.

Clean the sand out of your bagina. And while you're at it, take a reading 101 course.

Psyychoward86
10-27-2009, 06:29 PM
ROFL, you almost made me laugh out loud at work just now. I think Gay is doing ok. I donít really judge him on the Peterson play cause Peterson is just that special player that you get every 50 years or so. Iím more concerned that Keenan Lewis has received no playing time. Iíve read things in the off season comparing him to Ike Taylor.

At the moment, that's not saying much at all. He hasn't played anything like he did in '08. His best game was against the Bengals, but he was inconsistent against them too

Nadroj 20
10-27-2009, 06:56 PM

Go cry about something else. Gay is a good player.

:thmbup:

We never had Peterson nor were we in a position to sign him to a long-term deal. (at a discount price no less)

Clean the sand out of your bagina. And while you're at it, take a reading 101 course.

:thmbdown:

Fire Haley
10-27-2009, 07:07 PM

So now the Steelers' front office sucks?

Go back to your greasy cheezy-poof smeared Madden GM playbook and run your own team.

I bet you cry if you can't get Pro-Bowlers at every position.

ChrisKemoFan
10-27-2009, 07:24 PM
Poor kid, he's already all over ESPN, NFL.com and youtube for that AP hit, PLUS he has a bye week to think about it. Prolly gonna be drinking this weekend :sofunny:

sherlock
10-28-2009, 01:32 PM
I`ve just watched the Vikings game again and Gay had a really strong game.
Even when he got flattened by AP he still had the tenacity and will to try and bring Peterson down even though he was on his back.
Plus I like his celebrations when he makes a play.He seems like quite a character.....consider me a Gay man!

scsteeler
10-28-2009, 02:01 PM

I think the other guys in the secondary spend a lot of time trying to help him with coverage but that is just my opinion. This may be why the Secondary does not look as strong as it did last year.

Steel_12
10-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Even when he got flattened by AP he still had the tenacity and will to try and bring Peterson down even though he was on his back.
Plus I like his celebrations when he makes a play.He seems like quite a character.....consider me a Gay man!

Besides that last line, I would've said the same thing. :thumbsup:

sharkweek
10-28-2009, 02:40 PM
The AP bowl over really wasn't his worst play. Getting beat one on one by the leagues best RB really isn't something to be ashamed of, Urlacher had his when Bettis bowled over him (plus another Bears defender) for a TD.

devilsdancefloor
10-28-2009, 03:51 PM

Im gonna say it was lost in the translation somewhere :wink02::chuckle:

anyway i think he had a solid game even though i thought the viqueens went out of their way to target whomever he was matched up against.

cheppy why do you have to attack folks cause they dont agree with you? McFadden didnt like our offer he left. If he was such a awesome corner he wouldnt have let a aging CB beat him out for the starting job on a yearly basis :noidea::noidea:

Cheppy
10-28-2009, 04:18 PM
So now the Steelers' front office sucks?

(way to put words in my mouth) Never said that & my original comment wasn't of the crying variety. But you ran with it like a moronic child and blew it way out of proportion. Now look at you.. You're making mongoloidic assumptions and acting like a spoiled brat:lol:

Go back to your greasy cheezy-poof smeared Madden GM playbook and run your own team.

Go back to your room.

I bet you cry if you can't get Pro-Bowlers at every position.

You got me pegged! I bet you cry when your diaper's full.

Cheppy
10-28-2009, 04:34 PM
cheppy why do you have to attack folks cause they dont agree with you?

My initial posts:

In response to someone saying Gay is a better corner than McFadden:

I strongly disagree. In fact, I think McFadden was better as a rookie than Gay is now. That play where he broke up a pass to Wayne in the endzone towards the end of the 05 divisional game against the Colts was one of the best, textbook plays I've ever seen a corner make. And he's most definitely better against the run.

Where am I attacking someone there? Please point it out to me.

Then braintrust chimed in with this comically condescending gem:

Was this really that hard to follow:noidea:

McFadden didnt like our offer he left.

They could've signed him to a long term deal at a bargain price the year before but they didn't even offer him a contract. This was openly talked about in the pittsburgh media and Steeler nation. Wish they signed him but they didn't. Contrary to what Killer was saying during his tantrum it's not something I'm agonizing over or being overly critical about. I made a simple statement, backed it up & never once said Gay was a bad player.

If he was such a awesome corner he wouldnt have let a aging CB beat him out for the starting job on a yearly basis :noidea::noidea:

Townsend stepped up his play big-time . No shame in that.

Fire Haley
10-28-2009, 06:33 PM

I'll just ignore Sniffles for a sec and get back to the real reason for this thread.

Just about every time I saw a great open field tackle on a WR, I said "nice technique, who was that?" and almost each time, it was Gay. All season he has kept his man in front of him and not given up big plays, with the exception of a few. He has been a sure tackler and is playing his position inside the scheme. Lebeau is always going to give up the short stuff to make you drive it 10 plays plus. He's been doing it for years.

The corner's job in LeBeau's D is to prevent big plays deep and to come up and make sure tackles on the hitches, slants and flares, all of which Gay does very well. He's pretty solid and he comes at a pretty cheap price., too, no scrub on this team is going to replace him

I'll take the comp pick for McFadden. I hope he does good and it's a #3, but will settle for a #4.

AllD
10-28-2009, 08:48 PM
I bet the next game Gay covers somebody in a play like that he is going to Ryan Clark him to the next weekend. You know he is hearing about it from everybody and no way he is going to put up with it after we play Denver. Talk about taking a chip on your shoulder into the game.

Steely McSmash
10-28-2009, 11:45 PM
Just about every time I saw a great open field tackle on a WR, I said "nice technique, who was that?" and almost each time, it was Gay. All season he has kept his man in front of him and not given up big plays, with the exception of a few. He has been a sure tackler and is playing his position inside the scheme. Lebeau is always going to give up the short stuff to make you drive it 10 plays plus. He's been doing it for years.

The corner's job in LeBeau's D is to prevent big plays deep and to come up and make sure tackles on the hitches, slants and flares, all of which Gay does very well. He's pretty solid and he comes at a pretty cheap price., too, no scrub on this team is going to replace him

I'll take the comp pick for McFadden. I hope he does good and it's a #3, but will settle for a #4.

Well said.

LeBeau will give up the dink and dunk stuff. Gay is doing exactly what the team is asking him to do.

Cheppy
10-29-2009, 12:18 AM
Well said.

He forgot to mention the times Gay missed an open field tackle. (it's right there in the viking game for everyone to see) Again, I think Gay is a good player but I'm not one of those who readily drinks the kool aid.

Ra! Ra! Everything about the Steelers is awesome! Yeah!

Fire Haley
11-02-2009, 12:10 PM
I'm laughing because Jake Delhomme just beat the Cards.

The Whiz sucks too.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-02-2009, 01:09 PM

Yeah, I love to watch the Crydinals implode too.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q0Q-nHxgp0M&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q0Q-nHxgp0M&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Cheppy
11-02-2009, 05:37 PM

Uh, not really:

Delhomme - 7/14 90 yds 1 TD

Panthers - 270 Rushing Yards

Kurt Warner - 5 Int