PDA

View Full Version : Donít take Roethlisberger for granted

mesaSteeler
10-28-2009, 01:38 AM
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2009/10/27/dont-take-roethlisberger-for-granted/
View From The Press Box

Donít take Roethlisberger for granted
October 27th, 2009

Watching the Redskins bumble their way to another loss last Monday night against the Eagles, it was hard not to marvel at how much Ben Roethlisberger has spoiled the Steelers and their fans.

I donít know where Roethlisberger, 27, belongs when you talk about the elite quarterbacks in the NFL. But he has already won two Super Bowls, and he experienced minimal growing pains after an injury thrust him into the starting lineup three weeks into his rookie season.

Jason Campbell, like Roethlisberger, was a first-round pick, but the similarities pretty much end there.

Campbell, the 25th overall pick of the 2005 draft, looks lost and is pretty much finished Ė at least in Washington where the once promising prospect is now a mistake-prone, boos-triggering quarterback.

Campbellís struggles bolster the argument that quarterback is the hardest position to evaluate when teams are determining which college players will be able to make the jump to the NFL.

The NFL is landscape is littered with first-round busts and some of the biggest ones of all are quarterbacks.

The rub for NFL teams is this: They have to get the right player at quarterback if they want to have any chance of contending for the Super Bowl or even making the playoffs on a consistent basis.

That is why Cleveland will probably use its first-round pick in 2010 on a quarterback Ė even though the Browns had hoped they drafted their signal-caller of the future in 2007 when they selected Brady Quinn.

That reality is also why the Raiders may have to seriously consider taking a quarterback with their first-round pick next April even though they selected JaMarcus Russell with the top pick in the 2007 draft.

Russell has been an unmitigated disaster in Oakland, and his horrendous play is yet another example of why a No. 1 overall pick is anything but a sure thing, particularly when it comes to quarterbacks.

As such, it is way too early to tell whether Detroit is on the right track following the selection of quarterback Matthew Stafford with the first pick of the 2009 draft.

How does any of this pertain to the Steelers? It doesnít, which is precisely the point.

That is because barring an injury to Roethlisberger, the Steelers donít have to worry about filling the most important position on the field for many years to come.

Preacher
10-28-2009, 02:58 AM
Dang good article and right on point.

I would love to see us draft a QB about 5-6 years from now. Let him sit behind Ben for 2-3 years and develop. Put him on the field in some tough situations and see what happens. If we don't like him, we can dump him and get another QB before Ben is gone. Sure is nice to have a QB that is that dependable! I just hope we don't go another 30 years between franchise QB's.

solardave
10-28-2009, 04:19 AM
Dang good article and right on point.

I would love to see us draft a QB about 5-6 years from now. Let him sit behind Ben for 2-3 years and develop. Put him on the field in some tough situations and see what happens. If we don't like him, we can dump him and get another QB before Ben is gone. Sure is nice to have a QB that is that dependable! I just hope we don't go another 30 years between franchise QB's.

I agree with you Preacher but in 30 years I'll probably be back in diapers and slobbering again so I doubt I'll care.:chuckle:

Galax Steeler
10-28-2009, 04:24 AM
Ben is the man and I am sure glad we ended up with him. It is a blessing that Rivers and Manning were gone when we got to pick Ben he is the best of that draft.

HometownGal
10-28-2009, 08:54 AM
The Steelers were definitely spot-on when selecting Ben in the 2004 draft and he has proven their selection right many times over. :thumbsup:

There isn't another QB in the NFL who I would want leading the Steelers O and that includes A$$ Chin, Peytoon and one of my fave un-Steelers Drew Brees.

memphissteelergirl
10-28-2009, 09:08 AM
I agree with you Preacher but in 30 years I'll probably be back in diapers and slobbering again so I doubt I'll care.:chuckle:

Now that's a lovely visual to ponder so early in the morning. :rolleyes:

KeiselPower99
10-28-2009, 09:24 AM
There is a couple guys I wouldnt mind seeing in a Steeler uni but would never wanna see em start in place of Ben. I find it somewhat funny that Cleveland had the oppurtunity and passed him for KW2.

The_WARDen
10-28-2009, 09:35 AM
after suffering through:

Malone
Stoudt
Brister
Stewart
Tomzcak
Graham
Maddox

believe me, I DO NOT take Ben for granted! I am enjoying every minute of his career.

:thumbsup:

vasteeler
10-28-2009, 10:32 AM
after suffering through:

Malone
Stoudt
Brister
Stewart
Tomzcak
Graham
Maddox

believe me, I DO NOT take Ben for granted! I am enjoying every minute of his career.

i dont think i hsve ever seen those names all together
oh the horror

HometownGal
10-28-2009, 11:00 AM
after suffering through:

Malone
Stoudt
Brister
Stewart
Tomzcak
Graham
Maddox

Hey - leave Walt alone! :buttkick:

As for Kordodobird - he had some flashes of good play so I can't really include him in that list, nor Maddox who almost singlehandedly took the team to the playoffs in 2002. As for the others, they reek of sucktitude. :poop:

Indo
10-28-2009, 11:03 AM
i dont think i have ever seen those names all together
oh the horror

Here's a discouraging thought

We could have seen Marino instead of Malone/Stoudt

That's one time when the FO did screw up (but I forgive them)

How many trophies would we have if we had taken Danny-boy?

Raynestorm
10-28-2009, 11:19 AM
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2009/10/27/dont-take-roethlisberger-for-granted/
View From The Press Box

Donít take Roethlisberger for granted
October 27th, 2009

Watching the Redskins bumble their way to another loss last Monday night against the Eagles, it was hard not to marvel at how much Ben Roethlisberger has spoiled the Steelers and their fans.

I donít know where Roethlisberger, 27, belongs when you talk about the elite quarterbacks in the NFL. But he has already won two Super Bowls, and he experienced minimal growing pains after an injury thrust him into the starting lineup three weeks into his rookie season.

Jason Campbell, like Roethlisberger, was a first-round pick, but the similarities pretty much end there.

Campbell, the 25th overall pick of the 2005 draft, looks lost and is pretty much finished Ė at least in Washington where the once promising prospect is now a mistake-prone, boos-triggering quarterback.

Campbellís struggles bolster the argument that quarterback is the hardest position to evaluate when teams are determining which college players will be able to make the jump to the NFL.

The NFL is landscape is littered with first-round busts and some of the biggest ones of all are quarterbacks.

The rub for NFL teams is this: They have to get the right player at quarterback if they want to have any chance of contending for the Super Bowl or even making the playoffs on a consistent basis.

That is why Cleveland will probably use its first-round pick in 2010 on a quarterback Ė even though the Browns had hoped they drafted their signal-caller of the future in 2007 when they selected Brady Quinn.

That reality is also why the Raiders may have to seriously consider taking a quarterback with their first-round pick next April even though they selected JaMarcus Russell with the top pick in the 2007 draft.

Russell has been an unmitigated disaster in Oakland, and his horrendous play is yet another example of why a No. 1 overall pick is anything but a sure thing, particularly when it comes to quarterbacks.

As such, it is way too early to tell whether Detroit is on the right track following the selection of quarterback Matthew Stafford with the first pick of the 2009 draft.

How does any of this pertain to the Steelers? It doesnít, which is precisely the point.

That is because barring an injury to Roethlisberger, the Steelers donít have to worry about filling the most important position on the field for many years to come.

Nice post but I would add this...

Big Ben has been backed up by one of the best D's in the league his entire career.

The win this past Sunday we only had to come up with 18 points (as the Vikings only had 17) and we got 14 off the D alone.

I can't put Ben in the same category as say, Payton Manning, who goes out there and lights it up even if he doesn't have the D.

Right now Ben is on the edge of the HoF. He has two rings, but SB XL was won in spite of him...QB rating of 22.6. This last one was everyone combined but that last drive was unforgettable. The stuff of legends.

I think if he continues to throw for between 3k and 4K yards a year, he should get in.

One more ring seals it, though.

Vincent
10-28-2009, 12:01 PM

Remember it like it was yesterday. I went freekin nonlinear. "They took WHO???!!!" "Gabe @#$%ing Rivera???!!!" Talking about wasting a first.

It is that question that has lead me to believe the league might have leaned on the Rooneys to pass on Dan. No other explanation makes sense.

We would have had two or three more Lombardis, and at that stage of events 7 rings would have been unacceptable to the "parity" of the league.

steeltheone
10-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Don't forget.... Miller...Bono...Woodley...Blackledge...Campbell

steelpride12
10-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Seems the Roons always draft excellent players and Ben was no different. Comes out and leads the Steelers to a 15 and 1 record and takes them to the AFC Championship. Nobody in the league I would rather have lead our team then Ben and thank god we have this man for many seasons to come because he is determined to lead this team to victories and looking back at someone like Elway is great motivation.

Steelillini
10-28-2009, 12:47 PM
I can't put Ben in the same category as say, Payton Manning, who goes out there and lights it up even if he doesn't have the D.

Right now Ben is on the edge of the HoF. He has two rings, but SB XL was won in spite of him...QB rating of 22.6. This last one was everyone combined but that last drive was unforgettable. The stuff of legends.

I think if he continues to throw for between 3k and 4K yards a year, he should get in.

I agree on Manning lighting it up consistently but Ben has led some pretty impressive 4th quarter drives to win ballgames including those in February. Although he did not have a great or even good SBXL he had 3 very good games in the playoffs leading up to it.

TX Steelerfan
10-28-2009, 01:13 PM
Although he did not have a great or even good SBXL he had 3 very good games in the playoffs leading up to it.Three very good ROAD games, let's not forget.

steelreserve
10-28-2009, 01:18 PM
I hope it's a long time before we need a "QB of the future", but I don't think we'll draft one very far in advance. Today's salary cap climate basically prohibits you from keeping around a successor that you KNOW is going to be good. You can't afford to pay two good QBs.

Most of the time, if you want to draft a successor in the first round, you've got to wait until the very end of your star QB's career, and then throw the new guy straight into the fire within a year or two. Or if you go the long-term route and groom a backup over the course of a few years, he's got to stay low-profile and unproven until he takes over the job, otherwise someone will make him an offer you can't afford (unless, of course you name him the starter and dump your old QB).

Either way, the cap basically makes it mandatory to take a huge gamble at QB when you need to replace a good one. No more Joe Montana/Steve Young stuff allowed. When Ben's career ends, we're going to be stuck taking a big gamble too. But in the meantime, all we can do is enjoy his success as long as possible and hope we get lucky at the end of it.

The_WARDen
10-28-2009, 01:41 PM
I agree on Manning lighting it up consistently but Ben has led some pretty impressive 4th quarter drives to win ballgames including those in February. Although he did not have a great or even good SBXL he had 3 very good games in the playoffs leading up to it.

including beating God's gift to QBs...in HIS house.

Raynestorm
10-28-2009, 01:47 PM

Understood. We completely changed the game plan for Indy in 2005 and came out throwing. If Ben hadn't made the throws we would have been out of the game quick. Our lead gave us the ability to blitz Manning the way we did.

He ate Bailey up in the Denver game.

He was tense in the SB...but more relaxed in SB XLIII.

WPAathletics.com
10-28-2009, 02:44 PM
I try not to let my Pittsburgh roots cloud my thinking... but I honestly feel that we have the best QB in the league. Ben can make every pass on the field. He's tough, dependable, and a leader. I wouldnt trade him for anybody in the NFL.

SteelC7
10-28-2009, 02:46 PM
its funny i was thinking the exact same thing while watching the redskins and seeing them get punked and dominated by the eagles, i said, wow im so glad we have ben and we dont have to worry about this crap, it helps the team so much and yes, it does spoil us as fans, but its ok, just be glad were not the 'skins

43Hitman
10-28-2009, 04:13 PM
The Steelers were definitely spot-on when selecting Ben in the 2004 draft and he has proven their selection right many times over. :thumbsup:

There isn't another QB in the NFL who I would want leading the Steelers O and that includes A$$ Chin, Peytoon and one of my fave un-Steelers Drew Brees.

Wow, Drew Brees is my fav non-Steeler also. That guy is awesome, and was in San Diego also. I still don't understand why they let him go. I'd rather see the Saints do well before San Diego anyways.

Cheppy
10-28-2009, 04:53 PM
Considering the heartache I had to deal with in the 90's and the beginning of this decade, taking Roethlisberger for granted is an impossibility for me. I always tell Steeler fans I meet in person to soak up the fact that we have an awesome quarterback who has alot of seasons left in the tank:grin:

HometownGal
10-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Wow, Drew Brees is my fav non-Steeler also. That guy is awesome, and was in San Diego also. I still don't understand why they let him go. I'd rather see the Saints do well before San Diego anyways.

:drink::thumbsup:

I'll bet the Chargers FO is still kicking itself in the hiney for choosing that little whiney simp Rivers over holding on to Brees. :laughing:

Imho, if the Saints had a half decent D, they'd have made a run for the Super Bowl by now.

steelreserve
10-28-2009, 05:14 PM
:drink::thumbsup:

I'll bet the Chargers FO is still kicking itself in the hiney for choosing that little whiney simp Rivers over holding on to Brees. :laughing:

Imho, if the Saints had a half decent D, they'd have made a run for the Super Bowl by now.

Don't forget the Dolphins, for bringing Brees into camp that year and cutting him in favor of Daunte Culpepper. Whoops.

Wasn't the reason the Chargers let go of Brees in the first place because of a pretty severe injury, like a torn rotator cuff or something? Not that it makes them look any less dumb now, but at the time a lot of people thought he was done for.

iloveben7
10-28-2009, 09:58 PM
Thank goodness for Ben! Who knows where we would've been these past 5 seasons without him?

iloveben7
10-28-2009, 10:01 PM

Big Ben has been backed up by one of the best D's in the league his entire career.

The win this past Sunday we only had to come up with 18 points (as the Vikings only had 17) and we got 14 off the D alone.

The thing about the defense gets on my nerves so much. Would we have gone 15-1 in 04 and won 2 Superbowls in the past 5 years with Maddox as our QB? I don't think so.

Peyton Manning also has a pretty good o-line so that helps him there.

We all know Ben didn't have the greatest performance in SB XL, but he made some very key throws in that game to help us win it.

NEPAsteeler
10-28-2009, 11:01 PM
I'll glady take Ben over anyone else, not matter how long he holds onto the ball :chuckle:

T.Richardson
10-28-2009, 11:12 PM
Well to me, teams tend to mishandle young QB's. Like the 49ers did with Alex Smith, the dude went trhough a OC every single year, and had to learn a new playbook every single year, and it effected his game, I think if he had 1 OC in his whole career, he wouldnt have had this many problems. Cowher protected Ben in his first year, and allowed him to grow and learn.

Plus the fact that most rookie QB's are drafted by horrible teams with almost no talent around them...

steelwalls
10-28-2009, 11:41 PM
I liked the pick then, and like it even better now....yes we struck gold after years of duds at the position.

OX1947
10-29-2009, 12:06 AM
Remember it like it was yesterday. I went freekin nonlinear. "They took WHO???!!!" "Gabe @#$%ing Rivera???!!!" Talking about wasting a first.

It is that question that has lead me to believe the league might have leaned on the Rooneys to pass on Dan. No other explanation makes sense.

We would have had two or three more Lombardis, and at that stage of events 7 rings would have been unacceptable to the "parity" of the league.

Oh give me a break man. Jesus, the league having anything to do with Pittsburgh drafting or not drafting Marino is bogus. I talked to several Pittsburghers years ago about Marino and the reason why the Steelers didn't draft him was because of his extra curricular activities outside the game. It was known around the area that Marino loved the nose candy. Steelers weren't the only ones that knew either. There was a reason why he dropped so late in the first round.

Had the Steelers drafted Marino, they may have struggled but not as much, until the 90's and that 94 and 95 team with Marino would have wrecked shop all over the place. Steelers couldnt keep players in the mid and late 80's, money was down and it was before free agency and salary cap changed everything.

MasterOfPuppets
10-29-2009, 12:12 AM
Don't forget the Dolphins, for bringing Brees into camp that year and cutting him in favor of Daunte Culpepper. Whoops.

Wasn't the reason the Chargers let go of Brees in the first place because of a pretty severe injury, like a torn rotator cuff or something? Not that it makes them look any less dumb now, but at the time a lot of people thought he was done for.
they never actually had him to cut him....they made him an offer and he refused...:noidea:

After the Chargers refused to increase their offer, Brees met with other teams. The New Orleans Saints and the Miami Dolphins were interested in him. New Orleans made him a large offer that included $10 million in guaranteed money the first year and a $12 million option the second year. Miami asked Brees if he would be willing to take less guaranteed money so they could fit him under their salary cap, but Brees refused and also did not accept the suspicious results of a grueling 6-hour physical in Miami. The Dolphins ended negotiations with him and traded for Minnesota Vikings QB Daunte Culpepper instead. Brees then quickly signed a 6-year, $60 million deal with the New Orleans Saints on March 14, 2006. The Saints hoped the former Comeback Player of the Year could improve the team and lead them to the playoffs. Brees also claimed he was impressed by the team's new-found commitment to winning and their confidence in him as a player.[citation needed]

brees wasn't exactly kickin ass for sandiego when they drafted rivers...he didn't "break out", till the year they did draft rivers....
2002.....60% comp....17 tds...16 ints...76.9 qb rating
2003.....57%................11..........15........ ..67.5

fansince'76
10-29-2009, 12:12 AM
Nope, waited way too long after Bradshaw for us to get someone better than a journeyman scrub (at best) at the position to take him for granted.

LVSteelersfan
10-29-2009, 12:37 AM
after suffering through:

Malone
Stoudt
Brister
Stewart
Tomzcak
Graham
Maddox

How the heck did Odonnell miss that list. Of course, he led us to an AFC Championship game and the Super Bowl, so I guess he wasn't as bad as most of those other stiffs. I still remember Brister dancing around back there with his happy feet and couldn't run away from his own shadow. Ben is amazing.

iloveben7
10-29-2009, 02:22 AM
if we would have drafted Marino, would we have also drafted Ben??

BubbyBrister
10-29-2009, 09:21 AM

While I'm obviously thrilled that we did get Ben, and love his style of play, I thought that it was fairly well-known that the Steelers really wanted Phillip Rivers, but took Ben as he was the last of the "Big 3" left.

Btw, whose a$$ chin? Brady? Marsha A$$chin. I like it.

The_WARDen
10-29-2009, 09:23 AM
How the heck did Odonnell miss that list. Of course, he led us to an AFC Championship game and the Super Bowl, so I guess he wasn't as bad as most of those other stiffs. I still remember Brister dancing around back there with his happy feet and couldn't run away from his own shadow. Ben is amazing.

Odonnell was actually a functional QB if you exclude the SB.

Angus Burgher
10-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Yeah, O'Donnell gets a bad rap. Don't get me wrong, he f**ked the Steelers in the Super Bowl, but he did get them there (or at least helped to get them there) so I don't think you can evaluate a guy solely on one bad game. All QBs can have a really bad day, and unfortunately, that can happen in the Super Bowl.

Just listen to Ben any time he talks about Super Bowl XL. The guy beats up on himself constantly over his performance there. If Pittsburgh hadn't been able to win that game, the big guy probably would have been run out of town.

Funny thing about that though. I wonder if Ben had performed perfectly in that game, if he'd only have one SB ring now. On America's Game, he discussed how much it hurt to feel like he let the team down and how that motivated him to get back and play better in the big one. If he hadn't had that motivation, who knows, right? Either way, I'm very happy with our QB.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-29-2009, 12:09 PM
I still remember draft day and was so worried that both he and Manning would be drafted first and we would end up with Philip Rivers. When I heard we got Ben, I got my kid a #7 jersey shortly after that.

I can still remember his workout reports of throwing flat footed 50 yard passes on target and hearing an interview where he said "I hate holding the door open for people because it means I am not first thru the door". Competitive fire, strong arm, athletic talent........a cant miss.

steelreserve
10-29-2009, 12:12 PM
they never actually had him to cut him....they made him an offer and he refused...:noidea:

Hmm, I didn't remember that. Well, anyway, the Dolphins sure missed out on that one regardless.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-29-2009, 12:13 PM
I thought that it was fairly well-known that the Steelers really wanted Phillip Rivers, but took Ben as he was the last of the "Big 3" left.

I still wonder if the Rivers thing was true. Nobody ever confirmed it and I guess you cant say "we really wanted Rivers instead of Ben".

I personally thought Rivers was gonna be a bust in the similar fashion of Danny Weurffel or Gino Toretta and didnt want him. He has turned out to be a good QB, but seems like a real tool.

SteelMember
10-29-2009, 12:52 PM

Not O'Donnell, but I would add Woodly to that list.

Odonnell was actually a functional QB if you exclude the SB.
He was decent...also a pro-bowler... if that meant anything.

I still wonder if the Rivers thing was true. Nobody ever confirmed it and I guess you cant say "we really wanted Rivers instead of Ben".

I personally thought Rivers was gonna be a bust in the similar fashion of Danny Weurffel or Gino Toretta and didnt want him. He has turned out to be a good QB, but seems like a real tool.

If I remember correctly, all the Pittsburgh media was projecting and hoping for DeAngelo Hall. Glad that didn't come to fruition, but we did, however end up with Ricardo Colclough.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-29-2009, 01:08 PM
If I remember correctly, all the Pittsburgh media was projecting and hoping for DeAngelo Hall. Glad that didn't come to fruition, but we did, however end up with Ricardo Colclough.

Yeah, I think the talk then was Rivers, Hall, Steven Jackson. I being an O-line honk of course thought Ben and Eli would be gone and wanted Shaun Andrews. Colclough :doh: at that point I wanted Jake Grove or Derrick Strait.

steel striker
10-30-2009, 07:49 PM

What alot of people forget in the 2005 sb year is that Ben played very well in the playoffs and took us to the sb. Plus don't forget the tackle on Nick Harper that saved that game as well.

MasterOfPuppets
10-30-2009, 08:08 PM
While I'm obviously thrilled that we did get Ben, and love his style of play, I thought that it was fairly well-known that the Steelers really wanted Phillip Rivers, but took Ben as he was the last of the "Big 3" left.

Btw, whose a$$ chin? Brady? Marsha A$$chin. I like it.
if it was fairly well known, please provide a :link: .....i never heard of that. the only one i heard pimpin rivers was terry bradshaw...:noidea:

stb_steeler
10-30-2009, 08:46 PM
Here's a discouraging thought

That's one time when the FO did screw up (but I forgive them)

Lets not forget Art Rooney passed on Johny Unitas to. Dan pleaded with his dad but Arty said no....

Angus Burgher
11-02-2009, 03:20 PM
What alot of people forget in the 2005 sb year is that Ben played very well in the playoffs and took us to the sb. Plus don't forget the tackle on Nick Harper that saved that game as well.

THIS.

I hate the criticism Ben gets for that first SB game. He leads his team to the Super Bowl his SECOND year in the league. His nerves get the better of him in the game. Who the hell could blame him? And more importantly... WE WON THE GAME! Therefore, he played well enough to win... and 7 of those points came from a run-in TD by Ben.

And yes, more importantly... they wouldn't have gotten there if it wasn't for him. He played excellent that season and that tackle he had against Indy absolutely saved the game. And let's not forget that that came after a Bettis fumble... not trying to take a shot at The Bus, just pointing out that all those people who say "the Steelers only made it to the Super Bowl that year because of Bettis" are full of shit.

fansince'76
11-02-2009, 03:26 PM

Like yesterday against SF where he had zero TD passes and his team eeked out an 18-14 win, or the 14-12 barnburner against Jacksonville earlier in the year? Fact is, Peyton Manning gets sucked off by the media FAR more than Ben EVER will. When you can go out and throw six picks in ONE GAME (as Manning did 2 years ago against San Diego) and still have it called a "heroic performance" by the media, you KNOW you're overhyped. Manning deserves most of the props he gets, but the media does go overboard.

fansince'76
11-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Lets not forget Art Rooney passed on Johny Unitas to. Dan pleaded with his dad but Arty said no....

Actually, Unitas was taken by the Steelers in the 9th round of the 1955 draft and was cut in training camp by Walt Kiesling (the Steelers coach at the time) and it was explained to Art Sr.(who was not happy about it) that it was because he was "too dumb to remember the plays."

HometownGal
11-02-2009, 03:43 PM
http://www.ventriloquistcentral.com/ventriloquism-tribute/ventriloquist-figure-makers/curtis.jpg

steel striker
11-02-2009, 06:08 PM
For me I never take Ben for granted because, as many of us long time steeler fans know how long we have waited for a qb like Ben. It has been talked in many of the above posts and, I hate even bringing up the 80's it was painful to watch. There is no other qb that i would for this team right now because, Ben can extend plays then make big plays when most qb's would take a sack. It is a double edge sword with the sacks but, it is a risk reward deal. Now back to the colts from yesterday it took a rb option pass play for the colts to get the win yesterday. I still maintain Ben is the best qb whike under pressure from a rush.

iloveben7
11-02-2009, 07:57 PM
THIS.

I hate the criticism Ben gets for that first SB game. He leads his team to the Super Bowl his SECOND year in the league. His nerves get the better of him in the game. Who the hell could blame him? And more importantly... WE WON THE GAME! Therefore, he played well enough to win... and 7 of those points came from a run-in TD by Ben.

And yes, more importantly... they wouldn't have gotten there if it wasn't for him. He played excellent that season and that tackle he had against Indy absolutely saved the game. And let's not forget that that came after a Bettis fumble... not trying to take a shot at The Bus, just pointing out that all those people who say "the Steelers only made it to the Super Bowl that year because of Bettis" are full of shit.

This is what I've been saying since that game and still people will argue with me

Angus Burgher
11-02-2009, 09:22 PM
This is what I've been saying since that game and still people will argue with me

It's because people only want to remember the negative stuff. People who hate the Steelers always point out bad things of course, but there are even some annoying fans who think that unless they have a QB who throws for 55 TDs per season and 0 INTs, they've got something to bitch about.

HometownGal
11-02-2009, 10:18 PM
It's because people only want to remember the negative stuff. People who hate the Steelers always point out bad things of course, but there are even some annoying fans who think that unless they have a QB who throws for 55 TDs per season and 0 INTs, they've got something to bitch about.

SPOT ON!!! :thumbsup:

http://blogs.smh.com.au/mashup/images/applause.gif

tony hipchest
11-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Actually, Unitas was taken by the Steelers in the 9th round of the 1955 draft and was cut in training camp by Walt Kiesling (the Steelers coach at the time) and it was explained to Art Sr.(who was not happy about it) that it was because he was "too dumb to remember the plays."
correct me if i am wrong, but want walt kiesling to dumb to be designing and calling the plays?

to think this franchise was just inches away from adding marino and unitas to the likes of ben and terrys 6 rings (and counting) is remarkable.

fansince'76
11-02-2009, 10:28 PM
correct me if i am wrong, but want walt kiesling to dumb to be designing and calling the plays?

to think this franchise was just inches away from adding marino and unitas to the likes of ben and terrys 6 rings (and counting) is remarkable.

And passing on Jim Brown in the '57 draft for Len Dawson (who they cut in '60 anyway), while the Browns took him with the very next pick. :banging:

Angus Burgher
11-02-2009, 11:53 PM
SPOT ON!!! :thumbsup:

http://blogs.smh.com.au/mashup/images/applause.gif

:tt02: Thanks!

iloveben7
11-03-2009, 01:36 AM

it's mostly been hate by Steeler fans

Steelstralia
11-03-2009, 04:04 AM

well all i can say is, let the jealous remain jealous, i watched that SB XL video on youtube, you even have cards fans claiming we cheated. ben is easily one of a few QB's who have a signature and awsome playing style, he's only one of a few who goes against the defense, not give in like a little "profanity" and gets sacked, he avoids it, he hits and he runs if he has to.

Ben will certanly be remembered in Steelers history IMO, he has even stated he wants to retire as a steeler, so it proves even more about his passion for the team, he's highly regarded and will always be highly regarded in my books. #7 for life! :tt03:

toughsticks87
11-03-2009, 04:17 AM
I live in Boston, and most people here don't even consider him in the top ten right now. No one has any respect for the Steelers at all, and it is downright sickening. The man has so many rookie records, and won a SB in his second year. He was meant to sit on the bench for the first season, he comes in, and goes undefeated for until the post season. He was named the offensive rookie of the year. He has the won the most games in his five years...than anybody. Ever. He has redefined fourth quarters. He is vastly underrated, and will probably never get the proper amount of respect he deserves outside of Steelers Nation.