PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Colon: Team can spread its wings now and fly

mesaSteeler
10-28-2009, 08:18 AM
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m10d27-Steelers-Colon-Team-can-spread-its-wings-now-and-fly
October 27, 8:06 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski

PITTSBURGH - He won't make the chunky soup commercials, not to mention the fact when things go bad he'll come under high scrutiny. It's something that Pittsburgh Steeler lineman Willie Colon accepts.

Following the Steelers 27-17 win over the Vikings on Sunday, Colon had more than one reason to raise his head high. First, while the offensive stats weren't stellar the line play once again was, and secondly the fact the team started 1-2 is now an after thought, as the team takes a 5-2 slate into the bye week.

"I think this means we can start opening our wings a little bit," Colon said. "Obviously we started off rocky, but we have enough talent on this team to potentially go far, but we need to take it one game at a time"

The Vikings have Jared Allen, who has been a beast when it comes to pass rushing this year. He entered the contest with 7.5 sacks on the year. On Sunday, Colon and crew pretty much held him and the rest of the Vikings defense in check.

''They are a good defense," Colon said. " They play hard and Allen and the other big three are some headliners. But we have a clear understanding that when (Ben Roethlsiberger) has plenty of time back there to do what he does, he is pretty much unstoppable, and we understand that as a line if we give him time, we can do well out there."

The line did allow three sacks, but the impressive thing was the ability they had to open up holes for the rush attack. On Sunday, the Steelers averaged 5.3 yards per carry.

"We started off stagnant, but we played hard," Colon said. "They played hard, but we are never content. We understand there are games that we aren't good and games where you are great. It's about us shooting for the ceiling."

While many billed the Vikings game a potential prelude of a Super Bowl matchup, Colon didn't see it that way. To him it was one of 16 and he would rather not see them come down to the final minutes.

"Everyone likes a thriller as a game, but we kind of like it as a blowout," Colon said. " Again, we got off to a slow start in this game because we were unsure of what we wanted to do."

He called the win an overall effort and credited his teammates.

"Justin Hartwig did a great job, our interior guys fought their butts off and I thought Max(Starks)did a good job," Colon said. "So today was an overall effort, you have to give credit to everyone."

HometownGal
10-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Though the OL overall has improved much from last season, I think last week's matchup against the Vikes was the best game they've played thus far this season. :applaudit::hatsoff:

Keep up the good work guyz! :thumbsup::tt03:

mulldog24
10-28-2009, 11:41 AM
I agree It was a great effort by all and especially the O-line GO STEELERS!!!!!!

kirklandrules
10-28-2009, 04:40 PM
So here's a very positive post and we have 2 responses (not including this one)? Gosh, I hope our fanbase isn't mirroring a Jerry Springer audience where anything nice gets shoved behind the shocking, disgusting and negative. Spaeth pisses all over the North Shore and Reed get's taken down like white trash on a COPS episode and that gets 11+ pages of postings. Max Starks keep the NFL sack leader from touching our QB and this gets 2 posts? Hey, I'll be the first to admit that I was not happy with the play of our O-Line last year and the first couple games this year. But these guys are playing their butts off right now and should show more appreciation! I've seen several outstanding plays by these guys that you don't see on the ESPN highlight clips (probably because they show too many Brady love fest clips). I've already mentioned Starks, how about Kamoeatu pulling almost as good as Faneca in his prime? Hartwig gave up about a hundred pounds to the guy across from him this weekend and he battled that fat pig for every inch. Essex and Colon both battled big men and opened some nice holes for a great rushing average (that we should have used a little more often).

I see this offensive line putting together the pieces and becoming a solid unit. If they keep maturing along this trend, we'll have a great line in place come January and will certainly be contenders.

So let's start showing a little more enthusiasm!
HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!!!! :tt03::tt::tt04::tt02::tt03::tt::tt04::tt02::tt03: :tt::tt04::tt02::tt03::tt::tt04::tt02::tt03::tt::t t04::tt02::tt03:

steelreserve
10-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Heh, I got a brief chuckle from thinking "Steelers Colon" was the title of a weekly column, like "Steelers Notebook" or "Steelers Corner."

Call me juvenile if you want, but it seems like our right tackle's name is good for a never-ending supply of funny headlines. What amazes me more is that just when you think it's gotten stale, a new one comes up that goes in different direction.

Cheppy
10-28-2009, 04:49 PM
All they have to do is lock up Colon & this offensive line can stay intact for years to come. Exciting to say the least.

Psyychoward86
10-28-2009, 05:35 PM
Starks openly admits that the O-line has trouble against its most troubles against 4-3 defenses. The Vikings have arguably the best one in the league. For our boys in the trenches to stick it to them is huge. I feel like our O-line can play any D-line in the league :tt:

Who woulda thought ANYONE would say that this year?

Cheppy
10-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Starks openly admits that the O-line has trouble against its most troubles against 4-3 defenses. The Vikings have arguably the best one in the league. For our boys in the trenches to stick it to them is huge. I feel like our O-line can play any D-line in the league :tt:

Taking that into consideration and the fact the Ravens defense isn't as good as year's past.. Bodes pretty well for those games.

solardave
10-28-2009, 06:00 PM
Though the OL overall has improved much from last season, I think last week's matchup against the Vikes was the best game they've played thus far this season. :applaudit::hatsoff:

I loved seeing Kemo out there in space looking for someone to pancake.They are definitely playing at a high level.

CPanther95
10-28-2009, 07:34 PM
Heh, I got a brief chuckle from thinking "Steelers Colon" was the title of a weekly column, like "Steelers Notebook" or "Steelers Corner."

Call me juvenile if you want, but it seems like our right tackle's name is good for a never-ending supply of funny headlines. What amazes me more is that just when you think it's gotten stale, a new one comes up that goes in different direction.

You mean like:
"Steelers Colon not impacted by Vikings rushers".

SteelC7
10-28-2009, 07:51 PM
the o line is playing much better than they were last year and earlier this year, that being said, they still need to get an offensive lineman in the 1st rd next year as a starter and for depth, i never like to be negative, especially after a win, but the o line is still our weakness, and wen ben holds on to the ball, it makes them look worse, but they are still playing well and by the end of the year could be a very, very solid unit, going into next year they have a potential to be one of the top units in the league

pancake
10-28-2009, 07:58 PM
All they have to do is lock up Colon & this offensive line can stay intact for years to come. Exciting to say the least.

I didn't have much faith in this group in preseason, but they have proved me wrong! Starks played great Sunday!!!! :tt04:

devilsdancefloor
10-28-2009, 08:06 PM
they are playing very well this year! Kemo pulling and is a monster:tt04::tt04::tt04:

stillers4me
10-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Me so proud. :applaudit:

"who's laughing now?". :drink:

tony hipchest
10-28-2009, 09:05 PM
while i am proud of the steelers o-line, and expected them to continue to jell and greatly improve, i am still perplexed how the bungles can roll out 5 scrubs (only one returning to the position he played last year, plus 2 who were from the practice squad dung heap) and have carson looking like its 05 again, and turning cedric benson into the leagues leading rusher through 7 games. :huh:

anyways our running game should have a ton of confidence going forward. i think mendenhall looks great, despite the fumbles (2) and spin moves.

Cheppy
10-29-2009, 12:24 AM
anyways our running game should have a ton of confidence going forward. i think mendenhall looks great, despite the fumbles (2) and spin moves.

The first one shouldn't have even counted. The man was down.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what he'll do against the Ratbirds on Nov 29. He has a little payback incentive with his injury from last year and Ray Lewis flapping his murdering gums telling everyone "he's done!".

MasterOfPuppets
10-29-2009, 12:29 AM
while i am proud of the steelers o-line, and expected them to continue to jell and greatly improve, i am still perplexed how the bungles can roll out 5 scrubs (only one returning to the position he played last year, plus 2 who were from the practice squad dung heap) and have carson looking like its 05 again, and turning cedric benson into the leagues leading rusher through 7 games. :huh:

anyways our running game should have a ton of confidence going forward. i think mendenhall looks great, despite the fumbles (2) and spin moves. your not down wit da spin ? i think its kinda fly....:noidea:
i used it the other day to avoid a collision with an old lady carry a big can of kidney beans....

LVSteelersfan
10-29-2009, 12:46 AM
A lot of people were down on Kemo last year. I kept saying he is a road grader and just needs to learn to do things without thinking about them. That comes with time. He is proving a lot of doubters wrong. I admit I didn't like Colon last year but he is proving that he isn't that bad either. I like this line. Ben makes it challenging for them but they are doing much better. I LIKE IT. The offense can keep clicking on all cylinders. Now the defense has to follow it up for us to be unbeatable. Denver is TOAST. TOAST I tell ya.

Steelers & I
10-29-2009, 01:16 AM
Thank goodness that the Steelers front office knows A LOT more about football than the rest of us. Many, MANY members on this board used the offensive line as a scapegoat for the offensive woes last season and they would have cut the entire line in the off season if it was up to them :doh:. These boys are playing great right now, and actually, they didn't play too damn bad last season. They did after all win the Super Bowl.

Lesson learned: Whether it be Arians, Reed, Parker, the offensive line, or any number of other Steelers coaches or players who have been run into the ground in this forum, the front office DOES know best. Learn it, Live it, Love it. What it all boils down to is that NONE OF US have any football knowledge that is even REMOTELY CLOSE to the Steelers front office and coaching staff.

tony hipchest
10-29-2009, 01:34 AM
your not down wit da spin ? i think its kinda fly....:noidea:
i used it the other day to avoid a collision with an old lady carry a big can of kidney beans....oh, i definitely have no qualms with it. he is rather shifty and i prefer a smooth spin move as opposed to a car wreck broken shoulder blade.

it seems as alot here hate it and think its a flaw in his game. then again, some seem to think he has a bad case of fumblitis. :hunch:

im psyched for the kid's (and yes, he is still just a kid) potential.

he has easilly shown me he is capable of being marshawn lynch for the bills or steven jackson for the rams. he just hasnt been given the opportunity to prove he can be jerome bettis for the steelers.... yet.

(and the line definitely helped him absolutely destroy one of the finest rushing defenses not named the steelers)

Steeldude
10-29-2009, 01:49 AM
yes, they have improved since last year, but i hope they still address the O-line in next year's draft. there is still a concern with depth and future replacements.

Thank goodness that the Steelers front office knows A LOT more about football than the rest of us

they finally learned that they need a QB, not a WR at the helm. :smile:

Steelers & I
10-29-2009, 03:07 AM
yes, they have improved since last year, but i hope they still address the O-line in next year's draft. there is still a concern with depth and future replacements.

they finally learned that they need a QB, not a WR at the helm. :smile:

They could definitely use some depth at O-Line. And you're right, #7 makes the coaches and players all look better than they actually are.

solardave
10-29-2009, 04:00 AM
oh, i definitely have no qualms with it. he is rather shifty and i prefer a smooth spin move as opposed to a car wreck broken shoulder blade.

it seems as alot here hate it and think its a flaw in his game. then again, some seem to think he has a bad case of fumblitis. :hunch:

im psyched for the kid's (and yes, he is still just a kid) potential.

he has easilly shown me he is capable of being marshawn lynch for the bills or steven jackson for the rams. he just hasnt been given the opportunity to prove he can be jerome bettis for the steelers.... yet.

(and the line definitely helped him absolutely destroy one of the finest rushing defenses not named the steelers)

I think Rashard reminds me a little of Franco the way he runs. Franco was a straight up runner too.

Galax Steeler
10-29-2009, 04:47 AM
I think Colon said it best when if they give Ben time to do his thing then no one can stop him. When they give him time he will kill you with the pass I just hope they can play good and give him time the rest of the year.

43Hitman
10-29-2009, 08:53 AM

I am glad to see them start coming around. I have been a staunch critic of them the last couple years. They were kicking ass in the run game last week, and the pass protection was awesome. :tt03:

truesteelerfan
10-29-2009, 10:45 AM
When I watch the games, I tend to agree with everyone's comments here on this board...HOWEVER, the stats say Ben's on pace for the same number of sacks as last year - 46 - So despite the visual improvements to us, Ben's still taking a beating.....Still LOTS of room for improvement in my opinion, and as we can probably all agree, we definately need some depth. Next year...for the 3rd year in a row....I think we again need to address the line in our draft.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-29-2009, 12:25 PM
:

I really dont know if they are going to put much stock in it next year. I think they believe they have all they need, considering that Starks, Kemo, Hartwig all have new 4 year deals, Legursky is a solid backup C/G, they drafted Urbik and found Foster to play the guard positions and still talk that Hills is improving.

I think they go with the same line next season, but if Colon leaves in FA, then Essex slides out to play RT and Legursky, Foster and Urbik compete for the RG spot. I think they look for some OT depth if it presents itself and that is it.

BTW, what do you think of Mendenhall? :noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-29-2009, 12:29 PM
I think Colon said it best when if they give Ben time to do his thing then no one can stop him. When they give him time he will kill you with the pass I just hope they can play good and give him time the rest of the year.

The biggest problems last year with not giving Ben time were:

1. Kemo didnt recognize blitzes and stunts well and he let a lot thru the gap between him and Hartwig.

2. Stapleton got bull rushed at times and collapsed the pocket.

3. Colon got beat by speed to the outside on occasions he was guarding his inside gap due to overloads that never rushed.

SteelMember
10-29-2009, 12:34 PM
The biggest problems last year with not giving Ben time were:

1. Kemo didnt recognize blitzes and stunts well and he let a lot thru the gap between him and Hartwig.

2. Stapleton got bull rushed at times and collapsed the pocket.

3. Colon got beat by speed to the outside on occasions he was guarding his inside gap due to overloads that never rushed.

Are you sure Starks isn't somewhere on that list. :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Are you sure Starks isn't somewhere on that list. :chuckle:

Yeah, #4. :wink: but just keeping it to top 3.

kirklandrules
10-29-2009, 03:21 PM
When I watch the games, I tend to agree with everyone's comments here on this board...HOWEVER, the stats say Ben's on pace for the same number of sacks as last year - 46 - So despite the visual improvements to us, Ben's still taking a beating.....Still LOTS of room for improvement in my opinion, and as we can probably all agree, we definately need some depth. Next year...for the 3rd year in a row....I think we again need to address the line in our draft.

I think the difference is Ben has much more time this year. He's on the same sack pace this year that he had last year, but he's not having to run for his life nor throw it as quickly. He's standing back in that pocket for several seconds longer than he had last year. Just to refresh your memory, against the Giants and Eagles, Ben barely had time to finish his drop back before getting creamed. Most people would never look at passing yards as a measure of the offensive line, but that proves Ben has the time to look for the deep throws. So much so that the Vikes were dropping both safeties deep to take away the long ball. Just my two cents.:noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Just to refresh your memory, against the Giants and Eagles, Ben barely had time to finish his drop back before getting creamed.

A further refresher is that both the Giants and Eagles defenses are predicated around rushing the QB with blitzes. None of the teams the Steelers have played this season (TEN, DET, SD, CLE, CIN) really pressure the QB like those teams. Only CHI and MINN create solid pass rush and I'd say the Steelers are 50-50 vs them.

MasterOfPuppets
10-29-2009, 06:23 PM
i'm still not ready to crown thier asses....its gonna take more than 69 yards to convince me they've turned a corner....:doh:

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-29-2009, 06:27 PM
i'm still not ready to crown thier asses....its gonna take more than 69 yards to convince me they've turned a corner....:doh:

But, but, but.........Ben didn't get sacked as much vs the Vikings and the offense scored 13 points while the defense got 14. Or they beat Cleveland and San Diego in impressive fashion???

You are not ready to crown their asses??? :chuckle:

MasterOfPuppets
10-29-2009, 07:17 PM
But, but, but.........Ben didn't get sacked as much vs the Vikings and the offense scored 13 points while the defense got 14. Or they beat Cleveland and San Diego in impressive fashion???

You are not ready to crown their asses??? :chuckle: nope...i'm not buyin in just yet, call me a pessimist, but i consider myself a realist. i watched people jump on and off the kordell stewart wagon for years. i refused to get on ever. inconsistency is usually a permanent thing.