PDA

View Full Version : Real Steelers

gameface75
10-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Now that we have a bye week,It is a good time for the coaching staff to get back to the things the steelers are known for ie.,hard nosed blue collar football! When we make plays ,instead of waiting for the ball to bounce our way.Go extremely aggressive on defense,and somebody please tell Big Ben to stop with the pump fake and just throw the damn football.

HometownGal
10-28-2009, 09:19 AM
When we make plays ,instead of waiting for the ball to bounce our way.Go extremely aggressive on defense,

I'd like to see the D become a lot more aggressive by forcing fumbles and knocking opposing QB's dooks in the dirt more often. Maybe they should try the "stand up and strip" technique that seems to be ever so popular in the NFL this season.

and somebody please tell Big Ben to stop with the pump fake and just throw the damn football.

I take issue with that statement, as most of the time Ben has pump faked thus far this season, he has been successful in fooling the LB's and secondary and giving his receivers time to get open. I have absolutely no problem with the pump fake as long as a sack doesn't come along with it on a regular basis.

CanadianSteel
10-28-2009, 09:26 AM
Ya agree with Hometown.... the pump fake is one of Ben's biggest weapons, wpecially with the way he can bye time in the pocket.... he often moves "D" players one way while throwing to another spot...

The_WARDen
10-28-2009, 09:32 AM
Yes, I agree. Let's get back to running Mendenhall into the line 30+ times for 2 yards a carry and throw on 3rd down followed by a punt.

Bring back the glory days of no Super Bowls!

X-Terminator
10-28-2009, 09:45 AM
Now that we have a bye week,It is a good time for the coaching staff to get back to the things the steelers are known for ie.,hard nosed blue collar football! When we make plays ,instead of waiting for the ball to bounce our way.Go extremely aggressive on defense,and somebody please tell Big Ben to stop with the pump fake and just throw the damn football.

Ben is one of the best in the league at the pump fake. Why in the world would you want him to not use a weapon like that? Oh yeah, the argument that he holds the ball too long. I agree he does at times, but at the same time, he continually makes play after play. Ben is what he is, man - time to accept it and move on. We could have a guy like Derek Anderson as our QB, you know.

I agree with the hard-nosed football part, though. Tough defense and a balanced offense (which means more passing, sorry to inform you).

Nadroj 20
10-28-2009, 09:54 AM

Dude is pump fake is deadly, it moves defenders around and he has used it to his advantage many times, why would you want him to stop???

SteelMember
10-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Gotta agree with the others here. The pump fake is a big part of Ben's game, and he has success with it. Something that shows his maturing as a QB. (understanding defensive coverages)

If there were anything that I'd say I'd like to see him change, it would be to take the check downs more often. Big plays are great, but the short ones can move the chains.
Another thing might be to get on his horse and take some yards with his feet. Sometimes he looks so long that the first down line is within walking distance. I realize he dosen't have great speed, and it takes a little while to get that load going, but this used to be a part of his game he seems to have got away form.

vasteeler
10-28-2009, 10:29 AM

did you mind it in the super bowl ?

fansince'76
10-28-2009, 10:40 AM
:rolleyes:

arge5809
10-28-2009, 10:43 AM
I don't care what it takes for the Steelers to win the game.... just so they win. If we have to run the ball 30+ times to win then so be it, but by the same point if we have to throw it 30+ times then so be it.

How many games did we lose because we had to do it " the Steelers way" and run, run, run the ball followed buy a punt.

When the team had one of the BEST quarterbacks in the league you may have to play to his strengths (ie: pass) to win the game! And if the Defense steps in and wins the game then that is just as good, because we do have one of the best defenses and defensive coordinators in the league.

I get tired of hearing boo-hoo we're not playing Steelers football by passing the ball, and it's __________ (place name of coordinator/ coach/ player in the space) fault that we lost. We should support our team positively every game regardless if they win or lose. We should be glad as fans that we have the Steelers to cheer for, we could have the Browns, Raiders, Rams, Lions, etc. as our team.

And most important, we HAVE SIX LOMBARDI TROPHIES!!!!!!

:thumbsup: :tt03: :tt02: :tt04:

RoethlisBURGHer
10-28-2009, 10:52 AM
I think our defense was more than aggressive on defense last Sunday. What I don't want to see is this defense become OVERLY aggressive and over pursue the ball carrier.

As for Ben's pump fake, I love it. It fools defenders, it buys more time for receivers to get open. It's a great weapon.

smokin3000gt
10-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Just throw the ball? To who, the guy under triple coverage? I'd rather he pump it to buy some time, let his guys get open and throw it when someone can catch it, instead of throwing it to the secondary just to get the ball out quicker.

Dino 6 Rings
10-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Ok, we all love the Pump Fake...but sometimes...just sometimes...the first read is the right read and he needs to get rid of the ball.

I think that's all the poster was trying to say.

Edman
10-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Ah, the years of Cowher slamming Bettis into 6-man fronts all game, while Tomczak/Stewart did just what they could throwing to the likes of Charles Johnson and Courtney Hawkins. Mark Breuner and Jon Witman playing violent in the trenches as our offense went nowhere.

What glorious days. The Steelers were only a fraction as good as they are now, but at least we could run the ball!

SteelC7
10-28-2009, 02:43 PM
bens pump fake is one of the best in the league, if he just "threw the damn football" ud see alot more INTs and bad decisions, thats how he gets those deep throws so often this year, already more passes of 40+ yds this year (8) than last year (7)

steelerdave1969
10-28-2009, 09:47 PM

The only things I would change is that Rashard Mendenhall would get more carries, about 20-25 a game anyway. Ben is doing a great job and they dont need to try to change anything with him pumping, it works... so leave it alone

iloveben7
10-28-2009, 09:50 PM

do you understand the purpose of the pump fake?

steelerchad
10-28-2009, 10:29 PM
That pump fake seems to be a new weapon in his arsenal. I know he has done it in previous years, but it seems like every pass he's using it. I'm not going to complain about a 70% + completion percentage though.

Pump away.
Just not in Reno.

devilsdancefloor
10-28-2009, 10:57 PM
Ben is one of the best in the league at the pump fake. Why in the world would you want him to not use a weapon like that? Oh yeah, the argument that he holds the ball too long. I agree he does at times, but at the same time, he continually makes play after play. Ben is what he is, man - time to accept it and move on. We could have a guy like Derek Anderson as our QB, you know.

I agree with the hard-nosed football part, though. Tough defense and a balanced offense (which means more passing, sorry to inform you).

Sad to say we have several QB's and i will take ben over those all! Ben is not gonna be your "typical" QB he holds the ball and holds it to long at times and then you think THROW THE DAMN BALL he makes a hell of a throw. And the flip side he gets a few sacks that way, but for the most part it works and i can live with that. The pump fakes hold the LBers or Safeties for that split second. It works very well why get rid of it. Im sure Mr Anderson has help him with such things. My hat goes off to Mr Anderson he seems to be doing great with Ben (even though i REALLY disliked him befor ehe came here:wink02:)

HometownGal
10-29-2009, 08:27 AM
Im sure Mr Anderson has help him with such things. My hat goes off to Mr Anderson he seems to be doing great with Ben (even though i REALLY disliked him befor ehe came here:wink02:)

LOL!!!!! I'm with you on that ddf - I hated Ken Anderson back in the 70's and early 80's when he was the Bungles QB. He used to give our D fits just about every time we played against him. :horror:

Kenny has done a great job with Ben's development and I'm glad he turned in those tigger stripes for the black 'n gold! :thumbsup::applaudit::tt02:

LVSteelersfan
10-29-2009, 11:36 AM
These are not your father's Steelers. Get used to it. They use the pass to set up the runs these days because every team tries to shut down the run. It is good football. Later in the season the run will be available because they are not throwing 8 and 9 in the box to stop the predictable runs like in the past. The pump fake is a thing of beauty the way it freezes the defense. Get real.

Angus Burgher
10-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Yes, let's get back to "Real Steeler" football. Where we run the ball on every down and consistantly go 3 and out on every other series. Where we lose games for only putting 10 points on the board. And where fans blame all the losses on Ben despite the fact that he only threw 9 times per game.

We're 5-2 right now. Sounds like "Fake Steeler" football is working just fine.

kirklandrules
10-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Yeah, his pump fake is horrible. One of the networks calculated his passer rating for plays where he used the pump fake ... it was something like 128.

Jmat
10-29-2009, 05:35 PM
please tell Big Ben to stop with the pump fake and just throw the damn football.

Are you for real?

I love that pump fake. Ben either freezes the defense or else gets the defenders going the direction off the fake.

Why would you want him to stop using it?

Kaeg
10-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Well, I was going to throw my opinion here on the pump fake too, but it seems the point has been very well made by now. :chuckle:

stb_steeler
10-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Are you for real?

I love that pump fake. Ben either freezes the defense or else gets the defenders going the direction off the fake.

Why would you want him to stop using it?

Bens been successful with the pump fake since college, take a look at his playing days on Miami of Ohio. He's always been a scrambler and used the pump fake.

Vincent
10-30-2009, 08:45 PM
You know how you can tell that this bunch are "real Steelers"? They added two Lombardis to the display case.

And the way they are going, they'll likely add more.

devilsdancefloor
10-30-2009, 08:57 PM
LOL!!!!! I'm with you on that ddf - I hated Ken Anderson back in the 70's and early 80's when he was the Bungles QB. He used to give our D fits just about every time we played against him. :horror:

Kenny has done a great job with Ben's development and I'm glad he turned in those tigger stripes for the black 'n gold! :thumbsup::applaudit::tt02:

i used to dread us playing the bungles when kenny anderson was their QB,, but as you said i am glad he has come to our side the irony of it all he had all those great years with the bungles and he won his only super bowl ring with the steelrs go figure lol.

arge5809
10-30-2009, 10:47 PM
Ah, the years of Cowher slamming Bettis into 6-man fronts all game, while Tomczak/Stewart did just what they could throwing to the likes of Charles Johnson and Courtney Hawkins. Mark Breuner and Jon Witman playing violent in the trenches as our offense went nowhere.

What glorious days. The Steelers were only a fraction as good as they are now, but at least we could run the ball!

:drink: :applaudit: :sofunny: :toofunny: :rofl:

Rick5895
10-31-2009, 09:41 AM
These are the real Steelers. I concur with Hometown Gal, I would like to see a little bit more aggresion in our D. Running a little more would be good as well. But let's face it our O has evolved to the weapons we have, which currently is a very good QB and very good receivers. The only thing that burns me is we don't score enouigh points considering the O we have.