PDA

View Full Version : If you were Clark, would you play at Denver?

pits200
10-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Pretty straight forward what I'm wondering with this post. After what happened to Ryan Clark last time he played in the Mile High altitude, he lost both his spleen and gall bladder.

Poll Question:::: So what if you were in his place, would you play there in week 9 or not.

This goes beyond toughing it out like a strain or sprain, so do you think the Steelers should have a say in his decision to play???

cubanstogie
10-28-2009, 05:01 PM
no!

AllD
10-28-2009, 05:02 PM
No, too much of a distraction for the team if he were on the field.

MasterOfPuppets
10-28-2009, 05:03 PM
oh hell no !!!... why in the hell should he risk his life for a game...:doh:

MACH1
10-28-2009, 05:04 PM
No way!

Pittsburghfan
10-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Not a chance.

pits200
10-28-2009, 05:05 PM
I totally agree, I voted NO, but I hear some people saying they think he should play and that it was just a bad coincidence of many sorts the last time he played there and that this time around they will know how to deal with things.

MasterOfPuppets
10-28-2009, 05:06 PM
the team shouldn't even consider letting him make the trip.... stay out of denver period clark.

steelreserve
10-28-2009, 05:09 PM
I put "Yes, I would play" ... but it didn't let me add "if I had shit for brains."

Christian Snyder
10-28-2009, 05:12 PM
NO!!!!!!!

TheWarDen86
10-28-2009, 05:19 PM
One game is not worth the rest of the season, much less his life.

tony hipchest
10-28-2009, 05:50 PM
the team shouldn't even consider letting him make the trip.... stay out of denver period clark.he says he's gonna make the trip whether he plays or not.

stay home ryan.

43Hitman
10-28-2009, 05:53 PM
Not no, but HELL NO! :thmbdown:

OX1947
10-28-2009, 06:03 PM
If i were Tomlin, I wouldn't let him come to DENVER. Even if doctors said it was ok.

GutterflowerSteel
10-28-2009, 06:22 PM
NO WAY. We need him down the stretch ...

CPanther95
10-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Only if he can play in a pressurized bubble - and he can roll around like on American Gladiators.

KeiselPower99
10-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Life is more important then a football game.

CanadianSteel
10-28-2009, 08:11 PM
Love how Clark brings the heat and his competitiveness.... but in this case just stay home.... if he played I am not sure he and his teammates would be able to focus same as usual... understamdbaly..... Live to fight another day Ryan...

GBMelBlount
10-28-2009, 08:13 PM
At least he has the comfort of knowing he won't lose a spleen or gall bladder if he plays. :thumbsup:

chucoblack&gold
10-28-2009, 11:53 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/4/how_about_no.jpg

solardave
10-29-2009, 03:22 AM
Not a chance.

Do these guys get sick days?:chuckle: I'd sure as hell be taking one.

Galax Steeler
10-29-2009, 03:38 AM
Nope there is no need to take a chance.

stlrtruck
10-29-2009, 07:50 AM
Unless there is a medical way to ensure that he 100% will not have the same reaction he had last time, then there's no way.

HometownGal
10-29-2009, 07:56 AM
Most definitely NOT. Why take such a risk?

SteelMember
10-29-2009, 08:08 AM
:huh:

:scratchchin:

:confused:

:tap:

:thmbdown:

:hunch:

Texasteel
10-29-2009, 08:16 AM
Hell No

ETL
10-29-2009, 08:47 AM
Absolutely YES! Don't you even wonder why this is even a question? If it was so medically obvious that he would suffer the same as last time, the doctors wouldn't even allow him to make the trip. However, the problem in the past was the SPLEEN. It acted like a big filter of the blood cells and it got engorged and clogged. Since he no longer has a spleen he should actually be fine.

I would play if I were him.

Indo
10-29-2009, 09:52 AM
Absolutely YES! Don't you even wonder why this is even a question? If it was so medically obvious that he would suffer the same as last time, the doctors wouldn't even allow him to make the trip. However, the problem in the past was the SPLEEN. It acted like a big filter of the blood cells and it got engorged and clogged. Since he no longer has a spleen he should actually be fine.

Wow.
You should consider learning a little about Sickle Cell Disease and Sickle Cell Trait.
The spleen is the least of his worries.
A Fatal Stroke is the thing he should be worried about.

I don't have time to re-post all of this, so I suggest you read my posts in this thread to start...

http://www.steelersfever.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40417

The correct answer is----he should not even go to Denver knowing that the altitude caused a problem last time. The next time could result in an incapactating stroke or death. He absolutely should not play, even if he decides to go to Denver.

Indo
10-29-2009, 09:58 AM
For those of you too busy to read the posts I made in the thread that I linked above, try reading this

Particularly the part about Life-Threatening Complications of Exercise

http://sickle.bwh.harvard.edu/sickle_trait.html

Here's a summary of potential complications from the article:

A summary of the risks associated with sickle cell trait is as follows.

1.Splenic infarction at high altitude, with exercise, or with hypoxemia
2.Isothenuria with loss of maximal renal concentrating ability
3.Hematuria secondary to renal papillary necrosis
4.Fatal exertional heat illness with exercise
5.Sudden idiopathic death with exercise
6.Glaucoma or recurrent hyphema following a first episode of hyphema
7.Bacteruria in women
8.Bacteruria or pyelonephritis associated with pregnancy
9.Renal medullary carcinoma in young people (ages 11 to 39 years)
10.Early onset of end stage renal disease from autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease

From that list, he has already experienced the first complication (#1)---hopefully he won't have to worry about #4 and #5

Steeldude
10-29-2009, 10:20 AM
it depends on what the doctor says. if he says "ok" then i would most definitely play.

Nadroj 20
10-29-2009, 10:26 AM

Are you kidding me? Have you read what could happen to him if he plays?

The answer is HE COULD DIE....thats not exaggerating.

Come on man life is more important then football, and there is no way in the world he should risk it. I dont even think he should go to Denver, and you think he should play :doh:

Psyychoward86
10-29-2009, 10:37 AM
3 retards have taken a peek at this thread so far

Nadroj 20
10-29-2009, 10:39 AM
3 retards have taken a peek at this thread so far

:toofunny: thought the same thing.

ETL
10-29-2009, 11:20 AM
For those of you too busy to read the posts I made in the thread that I linked above, try reading this

Particularly the part about Life-Threatening Complications of Exercise

http://sickle.bwh.harvard.edu/sickle_trait.html

Here's a summary of potential complications from the article:

A summary of the risks associated with sickle cell trait is as follows.

1.Splenic infarction at high altitude, with exercise, or with hypoxemia
2.Isothenuria with loss of maximal renal concentrating ability
3.Hematuria secondary to renal papillary necrosis
4.Fatal exertional heat illness with exercise
5.Sudden idiopathic death with exercise
6.Glaucoma or recurrent hyphema following a first episode of hyphema
7.Bacteruria in women
8.Bacteruria or pyelonephritis associated with pregnancy
9.Renal medullary carcinoma in young people (ages 11 to 39 years)
10.Early onset of end stage renal disease from autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease

From that list, he has already experienced the first complication (#1)---hopefully he won't have to worry about #4 and #5

I am surprise Ryan Clark is alive let alone PLAYING PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL FOR A FREAKING LIVING!!!!!

God, you are the person that freaks out over small things. If you were Ryan Clark's parents, you would have him locked up with an oxygen tank living in a bubble.

Not all cases of SCT behave the same. Obvious, Ryan has a mild case given the fact that he FREAKING EXERCISES EVERY FREAKING DAY WITHOUT HAVING FREAKING FATAL HEART ATTACKS OR STROKES. The only thing that is at all applicable for Ryan Clark is the splenic infarct - which ALREADY HAPPENED. He can't infarct his spleen because he doesn't have one. In fact with a lot of SCT people - THEY TAKE OUT THE FREAKING SPLEEN ON PURPOSE SO THAT THEY DON'T HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THIS IN THE FUTURE ... GET IT, ON PURPOSE. As for this game, he can be smart and leave early for Denver and get himself acclimated.

I'm so glad all you guys are not in any position to make medical decisions. You guys are so afraid of what you do not know and the small amount that you do know - you panic over.

Many people with SCT are active athletic people. There are people in Denver that have SCT that live and work without any problems. There are probably a handful of NBA and NCAA basketball players (men and women) who travel to Denver to play games with no consequences.

I bet you he suits up against the Broncos and he will do so with his doctor's approval.

fat4jc
10-29-2009, 11:40 AM
I don't think any of the Steelers should go to Denver...lest I remind you what Joey Porter once said...

http://i35.tinypic.com/2mrzhjk.jpg

Indo
10-29-2009, 11:41 AM
I am surprise Ryan Clark is alive let alone PLAYING PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL FOR A FREAKING LIVING!!!!!

God, you are the person that freaks out over small things. If you were Ryan Clark's parents, you would have him locked up with an oxygen tank living in a bubble.

Not all cases of SCT behave the same. Obvious, Ryan has a mild case given the fact that he FREAKING EXERCISES EVERY FREAKING DAY WITHOUT HAVING FREAKING FATAL HEART ATTACKS OR STROKES. The only thing that is at all applicable for Ryan Clark is the splenic infarct - which ALREADY HAPPENED. He can't infarct his spleen because he doesn't have one. In fact with a lot of SCT people - THEY TAKE OUT THE FREAKING SPLEEN ON PURPOSE SO THAT THEY DON'T HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THIS IN THE FUTURE ... GET IT, ON PURPOSE. As for this game, he can be smart and leave early for Denver and get himself acclimated.

I'm so glad all you guys are not in any position to make medical decisions. You guys are so afraid of what you do not know and the small amount that you do know - you panic over.

Many people with SCT are active athletic people. There are people in Denver that have SCT that live and work without any problems. There are probably a handful of NBA and NCAA basketball players (men and women) who travel to Denver to play games with no consequences.

I bet you he suits up against the Broncos and he will do so with his doctor's approval.

Ummm...I am a doctor. A surgeon, actually. And I have taken out many spleens and gallbladders from Sickle Cell patients. So---unless you,too,are a doctor who may have even the smallest clue what you are talking about, please don't presume to lecture me about this disease. The problem in Denver has to do with the altitude combined with the vigorous exercise.

You obviously did not read my posts in the other thread.
Acclimation does not work. He has a genetic defect which produces an abnormal type of hemoglobin. Going to Denver early to acclimate only causes more abnormal hemoglobin to be produced. It makes the situation worse, not better.

Go to medical school (or graduate from it) or simply go read on Web MD (or read the articles that I have posted)...then come back and we'll have an educated discusion about Ryan's problem (which may be life-threatening in Denver)

Indo
10-29-2009, 11:53 AM
And, BTW, if you do have SCT (and that's why you come off being "The Expert" here...I suggest you learn a little more about your disease. The problem is the percentage of Hemoglobin S in the blood. Ryan lost his spleen due to a splenic infarct that occurred at altitude. He does not have "just a mild case" of SCT.
"Just a mild case" doesn't cause any complications. His next complication may be "just a mild stroke".

The low oxygen levels at altitude cause sickling of the red blood cells. The sickled cells clog arteries and result in complications----like splenic infarcts. And Strokes.
Do you have a crystal ball to be able to tell Ryan which arteries will clog the next time he plays in Denver? Because I sure don't. Neither do his Doctors. They will recommend that he stays home. The decision to go to Denver or to play will be his and his alone.

Good thing you aren't his doctor

SteelMember
10-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Ummm...I am a doctor. A surgeon, actually.

So, your forum name is for "medical purposes" only. :wink02: :chuckle:

Indo
10-29-2009, 12:52 PM
So, your forum name is for "medical purposes" only. :wink02: :chuckle:

:rofl:

Actually it's a nickname derived from my last name. I have had it since childhood
It has nothing to do with what you are thinking...honest :wink02:

SteelCurtain0815
10-29-2009, 12:58 PM
I for one, hope they do not play Clark. I think he is way too important to our defense to lose him for the reason due to his illness. However, I think it will hurt our defense with Clark not in there. He is one of my favorite players on the team, and probably the hardest hitter we have. Clark may be the most underrated FS in the NFL.

Nadroj 20
10-29-2009, 01:02 PM
I for one, hope they do not play Clark. I think he is way too important to our defense to lose him for the reason due to his illness. However, I think it will hurt our defense with Clark not in there. He is one of my favorite players on the team, and probably the hardest hitter we have. Clark may be the most underrated FS in the NFL.

I agree he is probably the hardest hiiting FS in the NFL not just for us.

mesaSteeler
10-30-2009, 06:51 AM
Denver decision looms for Clark
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_650611.html
By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, October 30, 2009

A sickle cell trait expert said Thursday that Ryan Clark should be OK if he plays in Denver on Nov. 9 -- provided that the Steelers free safety takes the necessary precautions.

"I think that means aggressive hydration and oxygen," said Dr. Mark Gladwin, director of vascular medicine and chief of the pulmonary, allergy and critical care medicine division at UPMC.

Clark met with doctors again yesterday as he weighs the risks of playing in the Steelers' game that follows their bye week.

The mile-high altitude in Denver caused Clark's blood to sickle in a game two years ago. The resulting deprivation of oxygen to several major organs triggered a harrowing ordeal that eventually led to Clark getting his spleen and gall bladder removed in separate operations -- and could have cost him his career or worse.

Clark, a fearless hitter, does not back down from anything on the football field. What the eighth-year veteran must decide is whether a game is worth exposing himself to more complications that could arise from playing in Denver.

"It's hard, period, because you work so hard in the offseason for these games," Clark said after the Steelers' 27-17 win over the Minnesota Vikings. "But at the same time, you don't want one game to cost you your career. Or your life."

Clark, who turned 30 earlier this month, and the Steelers have been gathering as much information as possible in advance of the nationally televised game in Denver.

Clark has started 24 of the Steelers' past 26 games at free safety. Whether he even suits up against the undefeated Broncos will come down to a number of factors, not the least of which is that he and his wife, Yonka, have three small children.

Those with sickle cell trait have a genetic disorder that can cause hemoglobin - they release oxygen to different parts of the body through red blood cells - to stick together.

Oxygen essentially prevents this from happening by acting as a diluting agent. The process of red blood cells passing through blood vessels can be compromised in places where the altitude is higher and the concentration of oxygen in the air is lower, Gladwin said.

Gladwin explained what happens is what is commonly known as the "water balloon analogy of sickle cell", when the hemoglobin in red blood cells crystallize.

"Think of a wet water balloon, and you know how when you squeeze it, it slips right out of your hands? You could squeeze a water balloon through a tube, it would just slip right through it," Gladwin said. "Now take that same water balloon and partially freeze it. There's chunks of ice in it. Now you couldn't squeeze it through a tube."

A similar thing happens when hemoglobin get stuck together, Gladwin said.

Clark experienced that in the Steelers' previous game in Denver. Wide receiver Santonio Holmes, who also has sickle cell trait, did not endure anything that extreme.

But, Holmes said, it was a struggle for him to get through the game.

"It hurt to play there," Holmes said. "I couldn't breathe, I was coughing. I went out before we even did team warm ups and came back in, and I was like 'I can't breathe.' But it was my singular focus just to go out and play ball."

Holmes, who caught six passes for 54 yards and a touchdown in the Oct. 21, 2007 game against the Broncos, has said he will play in Denver.

Gladwin said players with sickle cell trait can minimize their risks of playing in high-altitude places such as Denver by getting supplemental oxygen when they are on the sidelines.

Hydration, Gladwin said, is also crucial because those with sickle cell trait have a harder time retaining fluids.

The Steelers also could limit Clark's number of snaps by using him in a rotation at free safety with Tyrone Carter or Ryan Mundy. Coaches have not decided how they will handle Clark's situation.

Still, the dilemma Clark faces is not an easy one.

What adds to the difficulty of the looming decision for Clark and the Steelers: doctors didn't initially diagnose how serious his condition was after he returned from his last game in Denver. His spleen wasn't removed until November after he sought a second medical opinion, and his gall bladder didn't come out until December.

"I know he wants to play," said Joel Turner, Clark's agent. "There's not a shadow of a doubt about that. I just told Ryan: Whatever the doctors and he and Yonka decide, I'm behind him 1,000 percent."

A tough call

Steelers safety Ryan Clark must decide whether it is too risky to play in Nov. 9 in Denver since he has sickle cell trait. The disorder, coupled with the high altitude in Denver, caused his blood to sickle when the Steelers played there in October 2007. Here are a couple of basics regarding sickle cell trait, according to the Sickle Cell Disease Association of America, Inc.

• There are about 2.5 million people in America with sickle-cell trait.

• If you have sickle-cell trait, you have inherited the gene for sickle-cell disease. Sickle-cell trait does not turn into sickle-cell disease. If someone has sickle-cell trait and his partner has sickle-cell trait, they may produce a child with sickle-cell disease.

steelballs
10-30-2009, 07:29 AM
Screw the doctors, it's not their life they're talking about. There seems to be too much uncertainty as to what the effects will be this time so my vote is a resounding NO!

Stlrs4Life
10-30-2009, 01:25 PM
He shouldn't even travel with the team.

Stang909
10-30-2009, 02:53 PM
I put Yes only because thats how professional athletes think, most not all. But that being said I dont think he should play.

Raynestorm
10-30-2009, 03:20 PM
"It's ok to lose to your opponent, you must not lose to fear" - Mr. Miagi. Karate Kid III.

I put yes he should play. Don't back down from anything. You can't face life if you're hiding from it.

Nadroj 20
10-30-2009, 03:23 PM
"It's ok to lose to your opponent, you must not lose to fear" - Mr. Miagi. Karate Kid III.

I put yes he should play. Don't back down from anything. You can't face life if you're hiding from it.

Can't face life if hes dead either.....this is serious i just do not know why anybody would risk it.

rich4eagle
10-30-2009, 03:43 PM
he should stay in Pittsburgh with the flu

GridironWarrior
10-30-2009, 03:54 PM
I canít believe the NFL would schedule this game to be in Denver, especially after they already went there in 07. Donít play Clark, your life is more important than a game.

Indo
10-30-2009, 04:03 PM

I generally agree with this----But what would Mr. Miagi say to playing Russian Roulette? That's what Clark will be doing.

No one, not even this expert--Mark Gladwin---and he does appear to be an expert
(http://www.vmi.pitt.edu/Gladwin.html), can tell him if he will again have problems at altitude. They can take all of the precautions listed in the article (hydration, supplemental oxygen, Hell, he could even have pre-game blood transfusions to try to help prevent any problems,
http://sickle.bwh.harvard.edu/transfusion.html

but NONE of these measures are 100% gauranteed that he won't have a problem.
And the problem he has may be an incapacitating or even fatal stroke...

Russian Roulette

I understand the Idea that it's better to Die while Living than be Dead when you're Alive (does that make sense?)
But he also has his family to consider

As I said before...most likely the doctors will recommend that he doesn't play (that's why he "went to see the doctors again"----to get a second opinion)
and the Final Decision will be up to him.
(if I was his doctor I would recommend that he watches...but that's just me)

XxKnightxX
10-30-2009, 04:29 PM
I canít believe the NFL would schedule this game to be in Denver, especially after they already went there in 07. Donít play Clark, your life is more important than a game.

In 2007 we just faced one AFC west team, which were the Broncos since they were our equivalent from the 06 season. In 2006, we played the whole AFC West conference, and the Broncos played us at Heinz field. So this year we face the AFC west again, since thhe Broncos faced us at heinz field last time, we gotta face them away. Its all about turns.

Kaeg
10-30-2009, 08:05 PM
For me, from what I've read here, there doesn't seem to be a 100% chance that he'll make it out of this game ok. Even if it was about 90% chance that he'd get through it ok, WHY TAKE THAT KIND OF CHANCE WITH YOUR LIFE? Sounds like sheer stupidity to me for anyone who is NOT Ryan Clark to think he should play. If we lose because he's not there, so what? We can absorb it and move on to the next week, and we'll still have him alive and able to play for us for the rest of the season and hopefully his career. (I kind of like him alive. I think he plays pretty good when he his.)

SteelersMongol
10-31-2009, 11:58 AM
He should stay at home.

he says he's gonna make the trip whether he plays or not.

stay home ryan.

If he shows up in Denver, then coach T should fine his ars. :thumbsup:

ETL
10-31-2009, 05:19 PM
And, BTW, if you do have SCT (and that's why you come off being "The Expert" here...I suggest you learn a little more about your disease. The problem is the percentage of Hemoglobin S in the blood. Ryan lost his spleen due to a splenic infarct that occurred at altitude. He does not have "just a mild case" of SCT.
"Just a mild case" doesn't cause any complications. His next complication may be "just a mild stroke".

The low oxygen levels at altitude cause sickling of the red blood cells. The sickled cells clog arteries and result in complications----like splenic infarcts. And Strokes.
Do you have a crystal ball to be able to tell Ryan which arteries will clog the next time he plays in Denver? Because I sure don't. Neither do his Doctors. They will recommend that he stays home. The decision to go to Denver or to play will be his and his alone.

Good thing you aren't his doctor

I guess the REAL DOCTORS that the STEELERS trust disagree with you! Maybe your medical judgment is WRONG and it seem that it may not be the first time that you were in error. (are you now wishing some ill-will to happen so you would be proven right. Your just like most doctors ... egotistical as hell)

tony hipchest
10-31-2009, 05:52 PM
:laughing: lol... wow.

i guess indo is just a high school doctor. :rolleyes:

Indo
11-01-2009, 12:34 PM
I guess the REAL DOCTORS that the STEELERS trust disagree with you! Maybe your medical judgment is WRONG and it seem that it may not be the first time that you were in error. (are you now wishing some ill-will to happen so you would be proven right. Your just like most doctors ... egotistical as hell)

I guess stating FACTS about this disease makes me egotistical.

Wishing ill-will? You obviously have no clue what being a doctor is all about. I have no need to be proven right. In fact, If Clark plays and has no problems that does not mean I was wrong. It means he had no complications----and I would be happy for him that he both got to play and had no problems. But as much as you (in YOUR expert opinion) thinks that he is "good to go" because REAL DOCTORS told him so, you are simply wrong. Period. Why you think that there is no chance that he could have a problem is just plain ignorant of the disease (and If you have it, which I think you do), you should learn more about it---ask your expert doctor what your percentage of Hemoglobin S is and how it could affect you.
Why do you presume to know Clark's situation?

As for my medical judgement----it's cautious, not wrong. I have taken care of several sickle cell patients who are in their teens who have had incapacitating strokes from playing sports IN NEW ORLEANS--get it, champ, AT SEA LEVEL. Not at altitude, like Denver.

Clark needs to be well-informed of ALL possibilities so that he can make His Own educated decision about the risks he faces and whether he thinks those risks are too high or not

If you are going to continue to attempt to school me please learn how to spell, junior

fansince'76
11-02-2009, 11:30 AM

Steelers team doctors cleared him? You do realize that NFL team doctors are "persuaded" to clear players to play that they really have no business clearing all the time, don't you? When push comes to shove, the health and well-being of individual players takes a back seat to "the good of the team" every time.

Pick up a copy of this book and learn: You're OK, It's Just A Bruise (http://www.amazon.com/Youre-Its-Just-Bruise-Outrageous/dp/0312136277)

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-02-2009, 12:04 PM
I am sure that Clark does not forget the last time and will make an informed decision about playing or not. The guy has a wife, family and Super Bowl Ring already and probably will not put himself at risk for 1 win.

If he decides to play, its because he knows the risk, the odds and I am sure the medical/training staff will monitor him closely. Its not "North Dallas Forty" in the NFL nowadays. If he doesnt play, its because the risk to him is too great and nobody is gonna fault him for it.

I have opinions like the next fan, but still think its unbelievable how fans on a internet message board can be so definative about a grown man's right to choose if he should do something or not. :noidea:

Jmat
11-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Who does Clark think he is, Brett Farve?
You're either playing or you're not Ryan. You should've made up your mind weeks ago. Why is this such a major debate?

If this was the AFC Title game would you play?

If there is even a slight doubt about playing, you don't play. Easy choice.

tony hipchest
11-02-2009, 08:56 PM
I guess the REAL DOCTORS that the STEELERS trust disagree with you! Maybe your medical judgment is WRONG and it seem that it may not be the first time that you were in error. (are you now wishing some ill-will to happen so you would be proven right. Your just like most doctors ... egotistical as hell)waitaminute...

hasnt ryan clark already ripped the steelers training staff and doctors for the handling of his condition?

yes he has-

Posted by Mike Florio on April 15, 2008, 6:29 p.m.
Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Clark has balls. Or maybe he wants to be cut, or traded. Because Clark is sounding off regarding the manner in which the team’s training staff handled the injury that kept him sidelined for much of last season. After several weeks with an uncertain status, he was placed on injured reserve with a spleen injury. Eventually, Clark’s spleen was removed.

Though we typically frown on players taking this kind of stuff public (see Kelly, Malcolm), Clark is speaking out not because the training staff screwed up his initial diagnosis, but because they made him to feel like a malingerer when the diagnosis proved to be wrong, and when no one knew quite what was wrong with him.

Clark made his comments on 105.9 The X in Pittsburgh with Tim Benz. Here’s a portion of the transcript, as provided by the station: “There will always be a problem with me and the trainers here. . . . I got fed up with it. . . . I feel mistreated. I don’t feel like things were handled in the way they should’ve been. . . . I was made to feel that the tests say, ‘You are okay so why are you milkin this?’ . . . I felt like I was talked to like I was uneducated and misgiuided . . . . I felt like i was talked to like a dumb jock or a pampered football player. . . .”

The Steelers didn’t make a trainer available to respond. Benz tells us that the Steelers said that they stand by their trainers, and that the team feels that the injury was handled properly.

me thinks ryan will tell the steelers doctors and trainers to piss up a rope, and sit this one out.

fansince'76
11-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Who does Clark think he is, Brett Farve?
You're either playing or you're not Ryan. You should've made up your mind weeks ago. Why is this such a major debate?

A bit of a stretch and it's only a "debate" here. Chances are he and the Steelers already know the deal, have known the deal for some time now and are keeping mum for now so the Broncos have to prepare for his presence (IMO, he sits out).

Preacher
11-02-2009, 09:01 PM
:laughing: lol... wow.

i guess indo is just a high school doctor. :rolleyes:

Hmmm... high school doctor

"Obama protector" or whatever it was...

Respect.

:thumbsup:

Gotcha.

Preacher
11-02-2009, 09:06 PM
I guess stating FACTS about this disease makes me egotistical.

Wishing ill-will? You obviously have no clue what being a doctor is all about. I have no need to be proven right. In fact, If Clark plays and has no problems that does not mean I was wrong. It means he had no complications----and I would be happy for him that he both got to play and had no problems. But as much as you (in YOUR expert opinion) thinks that he is "good to go" because REAL DOCTORS told him so, you are simply wrong. Period. Why you think that there is no chance that he could have a problem is just plain ignorant of the disease (and If you have it, which I think you do), you should learn more about it---ask your expert doctor what your percentage of Hemoglobin S is and how it could affect you.
Why do you presume to know Clark's situation?

As for my medical judgement----it's cautious, not wrong. I have taken care of several sickle cell patients who are in their teens who have had incapacitating strokes from playing sports IN NEW ORLEANS--get it, champ, AT SEA LEVEL. Not at altitude, like Denver.

Clark needs to be well-informed of ALL possibilities so that he can make His Own educated decision about the risks he faces and whether he thinks those risks are too high or not

If you are going to continue to attempt to school me please learn how to spell, junior

:chuckle:

Either you are are not a real doctor, or you are, and wish for him to get sick. Wow. How do you feel knowing that? :wink02:

On the other hand, I never really knew what SC did. Thanks for the info. I would have never guessed at those complications.

toughsticks87
11-03-2009, 03:11 AM
Absolutely not. Stay home and enjoy the game!

IamTheSteelGod
11-03-2009, 03:46 AM
My vote is a NO!

Stang909
11-03-2009, 12:37 PM
After hearing coach Tomlin talk about this I am going to have to say that he will make the decision to have Clark sit out even if Clark decides to play.

SteelMember
11-05-2009, 07:14 AM
A tough decision for Clark (http://steelers.com/article/113507/)
Thursday, November 5, 2009
By Teresa Varley

To play or not to play, that is the question that is swirling through safety Ryan Clarkís mind this week as the team prepares to take on the Broncos in Denver.

Clark has the sickle cell trait and when he played in Denver in 2007 his blood reacted poorly to the Denver air, resulting in an illness that eventually forced him into surgery to have his spleen and gall bladder removed.

But he has been given medical clearance to play on Monday night. Itís just a matter of what to do.

ďItís still a tough decision,Ē said Clark. ďCompetitively in this game everybody has a little bit of ego. I want to go back and play there. Not for the sake of really beating the Broncos, but in the end God gets the glory that I am able to come full circle and I am able to go there and play.

ďThe doctors cleared me. Itís still a decision between my family and I. I think the part that makes it bad by not having a decision made is the practice time. That is the unfair thing. Itís a tough decision.Ē

Clark has been back to Denver since the incident and would still make the trip with the team even if he doesnít play.

ďI want to play, I have been cleared to play,Ē said Clark. ďItís just a tough decision. Itís tough to go home and tell your wife who has been worried about you for a year that you are going and itís tough for me to tell the guys I donít want to play, even though I have been cleared. Itís a decision I am going to make along with my family and Coach (Mike) Tomlin. He is going to have the final say of whether he lets me go or not.Ē

MDSteel15
11-06-2009, 02:56 PM
Life is more important then a football game.

WHAT? Are you kidding me? Life IS football! :thumbsup: :chuckle: :tt03:

Indo
11-06-2009, 02:57 PM
WHAT? Are you kidding me? Life IS football! :thumbsup: :chuckle: :tt03:

Yes!
But it's so much easier to play when you're not, you know, lying in a coffin!