PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Ward; "I can't get frustrated, we are winning."

mesaSteeler
10-29-2009, 12:37 AM
Steelers Ward; "I can't get frustrated, we are winning."
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m10d28-Steelers-Ward-I-cant-get-frustrated-we-are-winning
October 28, 10:35 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski

In the minds of many, the Steelers win over the Vikings was a statement game. A game in which the defending Super Bowl Champions sent a message to the rest of the NFL --" Heard you missed me,I'm back"

Wide receiver Hines Ward was more cautious in his approach of things when asked that question.

"I donít know," Ward said. " It was a great atmosphere Ė a playoff atmosphere with the most fans ever at Heinz Field. The Vikings were 6-0, but we still have a lot of games left."

Ward, is having a career year for the Steelers. Through seven games he is second in the league in receiving yards with 602 yards. He is averaging 14.3 yards per catch and 86 per game. All this at the age of 33.

"I've got a lot of life left in these legs and this mind," Ward said. "The day I know I can't get open against guys I'll walk away from the game."

But it was a different story against the Vikings defense, who stuck to Ward like glue throughout the contest.

"They were taking all of the deep stuff away," Ward said. " And, at the same time, every time I would come underneath, the linebackers were right there covering me."

For most players leading the league like a Randy Moss, there would be complaints that the ball wasn't thrown in their direction more. Not so for Ward.

"I canít get frustrated. Weíre winning. Iím still out there helping the team win. The one pass, I caught the ball down the seam. I think if Mike is a little wider, then that corner doesnít come off of Mike and make the play. I really wasnít expecting to get hit. But he put a good hit on my tail bone."

That mentality is a reason Steeler coach Mike Tomlin is so fond of the elder statesman of the receiving corps.

"He wants to be the reason that we win, not only in stadiums but also around this building when no one's watching," Steeler coach Mike Tomlin said a few weeks back. "He's committed to doing things that put him in position to win. He doesn't run away from competition, he doesn't run away from moments."

Ward drawing attention meant he was able to do another thing he does well, play decoy, especially on quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's 40 yard touchdown pass to rookie wideout Mike Wallace.

"They were getting really deep, so we wanted to take a shot at getting Mike behind the linebacker," Roethlisberger said. "Hines did a good job of attracting that linebacker. It got over his head, and Mike did the rest."

Wallace, who is coming into his own as a big play maker because of his speed, joked after, saying he'll take anything he can get when both Santonio Holmes and Ward are not open.

"It seems that everyone wants to double team Hines and íTone, so it leaves me kind of free at times" Wallace said. "Iíll take whatever scraps I can get."

Which is fine with Ward.

"This is what we talk and preach about finishing the game,' Ward said. "I think the team responded well. We can build on it.Itís great to go into the bye week at 5-2. Weíre stacking wins. In the month of November, weíre heading in the right direction."

mulldog24
10-29-2009, 10:06 AM
I think we are so lucky to have Ward!! he is a prime example of preparation, when you take care of the little things the big things take care of thereself. That's a big part of what ward is all about!!!!

Psyychoward86
10-29-2009, 11:41 AM
Now there's what you call a team player. These next 5 years with Ward are gonna go by fast...

SteelMember
10-29-2009, 11:53 AM
I'm not surprised in the least at the comments Ward makes. He's always been a team first kind of guy.

How 'bout this guy Mike Wallace? Is he using cue cards or what. He is definately "learning" from one of the best. :thmbup:

Steelerfreak58
10-29-2009, 03:32 PM
Its the reason we are in the playoffs year in and year out and contenders. Ward passes along a mindset and work ethic that the teams and the city promote. Its the team that matters not the individual.

The_WARDen
10-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Just to play devil's advocate...

So, if they weren't winning he'd be frustrated by the 1 game where he didn't get alot of touches?

It's easy not to be frustrated when you're winning...just look at Randy Moss.

4xSBChamps
10-29-2009, 04:05 PM
"I canít get frustrated. Weíre winning. Iím still out there helping the team win."

~ Hines Ward ~

in a nutshell, this is why the franchise has been a winner (more-often than not) for the last 37 years

"if we care-not WHO gets the credit, there is no-limit as to what we can acheive"

~ Ronald Wilson Reagan ~

steelwalls
10-29-2009, 08:08 PM
There's not a harer working classier WR in this legaue ...period IMO... a pure football player

4xSBChamps
10-29-2009, 08:48 PM
There's not a harder working classier WR in this legaue ...period IMO... a pure football player

:iagree:

if he were 10 years younger, and the Coaching Staff were tinkering with the notion of running the 'wildcat' offesne, he'd be takin' the snap from center

SteelersinCA
10-29-2009, 09:46 PM
Love Love Love LOVE Ward!!!

stb_steeler
10-30-2009, 04:11 AM
Wallace has one of the best, if not the best to learn from.

HINES RULE

Galax Steeler
10-30-2009, 05:11 AM
You got to love the man he is the best receiver in the league in my book. I think we are all gonna miss him when he is gone. The heart and sole of the offense.