PDA

View Full Version : strange stuff is falling from the sky....

tony hipchest
10-29-2009, 01:07 AM
....it is white, cold, and kinda wet. it is huge, like almost the size of a dime.

im still not quite sure what this foreign material is, but it kinda puts out my cig everytime i step out for a smoke.

this alien material seems to die upon immediate impact with the earth (as if salt were poured onto a slug).

the last time i remember seeing this eerie substance so early in the season was oct. 31, 1993.

anyone else get their first snow?

hell, it was just 80+ degrees here and i almost broke a sweat at the airshow, on saturday.

right now it feels like it must be about 40 degrees outside, which is what... like 30 degrees below freezing?

X-Terminator
10-29-2009, 01:57 AM
We had morning snow showers here 2 weeks ago, which is WAY early for this area. Usually we don't get our first snow until early to mid November. I have a feeling it's going to be a tough winter around here.

What happened to that global warming we kept hearing about?

MasterOfPuppets
10-29-2009, 02:44 AM
ya sure its not bird shit ??? :noidea:

Galax Steeler
10-29-2009, 05:07 AM

I just lost my coffee damn you MOP:toofunny:

SCSTILLER
10-29-2009, 07:40 AM
Nope, no snow. It is going to be 75 degree's and sunny today, damned global warming. On a side note, I don't ever want to see snow down here in Charleston, these moron's cannot drive in the rain, i could only imagine how bad it would be when that rain froze!

stlrtruck
10-29-2009, 08:24 AM
....it is white, cold, and kinda wet. it is huge, like almost the size of a dime.

im still not quite sure what this foreign material is, but it kinda puts out my cig everytime i step out for a smoke.

this alien material seems to die upon immediate impact with the earth (as if salt were poured onto a slug).

the last time i remember seeing this eerie substance so early in the season was oct. 31, 1993.

hell, it was just 80+ degrees here and i almost broke a sweat at the airshow, on saturday.

right now it feels like it must be about 40 degrees outside, which is what... like 30 degrees below freezing?

I don't know what you're saying. I mean just last week we had a cold streak and dropped into the low 80's during the day and 60's during the night. Then this week we're back in to the high 80's and low 90's during the day and 70's at night.

So could you please post a picture of this foreign substance of which you speak? :flap: :chuckle:

SteelersinCA
10-29-2009, 11:40 AM
No snow here.:chuckle:

SteelMember
10-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Saw on the news Colorado was getting hammered. FanSince, you got your snowchains on?

MACH1
10-29-2009, 12:31 PM
We had about 6" a couple weeks ago, and we got a good dusting yesterday.

SteelCityMom
10-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Nope, no snow here in Western Pa yet, though I know other parts of the state have gotten a bit already. It's in the low 50's now, and I just hope the snow holds off through the rest of the week so that its not freezing for free candy day.

devilsdancefloor
10-29-2009, 12:58 PM

Wait, wait a minute... Oh! Ugh! Outrageous! This is pure snow! It's everywhere! :wink02:

No real amounts here yet just a dusting. Normally it isnt until mid to late november before we get any

fansince'76
10-29-2009, 01:14 PM
About 14" here in the Denver metro area. Just finished shoveling out my driveway. Got a snow day off from work today, which is really cool. :banana:

tony hipchest
10-29-2009, 11:46 PM
WTF... we have a freeze warning tonight.

we still have jalepenos in the garden my daughter needs to pick.

damn you global warming! keep the cold near the ice caps where it belongs.

MACH1
10-29-2009, 11:47 PM
WTF... we have a freeze warning tonight.

we still have jalepenos in the garden my daughter needs to pick.

damn you global warming! keep the cold near the ice caps where it belongs.

Go throw some sheets or blankets on em and they'll be fine.

SteelersinCA
10-30-2009, 01:16 AM
Or...wake your daughter up and make her go pick them real fast.

tony hipchest
10-30-2009, 01:20 AM
Or...wake your daughter up and make her go pick them real fast.

lol. i woke her up last night just to go see the snowflakes.

she wasnt amused.

if i told her to pick peppers she could probably sue me for forcing her to be an indentured servant.

hindes204
10-30-2009, 02:47 PM
its still triple digits during the day here....dont think ill be seeing much snow

beSteelmyheart
10-30-2009, 07:36 PM
It is still in the high 80's down here in Sauna Central, even at the end of October & I am about to go out of my effing mind!!!! I'm so friggin sick of this heat I want to scream.

stillers4me
10-30-2009, 07:41 PM
82 and sunny today in Cintucky.

steelwalls
10-30-2009, 08:35 PM

LMAO.....

Im sitting here with the windows open and a fan on at the moment.

Shoes
10-30-2009, 09:14 PM
The mountains received 3+ feet.

tony hipchest
11-03-2009, 07:12 PM
I don't know what you're saying. I mean just last week we had a cold streak and dropped into the low 80's during the day and 60's during the night. Then this week we're back in to the high 80's and low 90's during the day and 70's at night.

So could you please post a picture of this foreign substance of which you speak? :flap: :chuckle:

i finally downloaded the 2 i took of said incident-

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/halloween009.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/halloween008.jpg

not quite pikes peak, but it isnt too bad for the middle of the desert before november. (on a good year this mt. is capped for 2-3 months, and texans flock here like flies for skiing).

my philosophy on this strange substance is kinda like what they say about grandchildren-

its nice to have them/it close by enough where you can go anytime to visit, but you definitely dont want it/them at your house for months at a time.

i like the desert. imo keep the stuff where it belongs, 20 minutes away.

GBMelBlount
11-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Those are beautiful pics Tony. :thumbsup:

HometownGal
11-03-2009, 10:20 PM
We had morning snow showers here 2 weeks ago, which is WAY early for this area.

We did? I know you live only about a mile away from me and as I've been out and about running myself ragged the last couple of weeks, I would have known if it snowed - even if just a dusting. That must have been one wild dream you had. :chuckle:

We don't get big snowfalls here anymore. All we get are Cleveland's leftovers. :banging::banging::banging:

tony hipchest
11-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Those are beautiful pics Tony. :thumbsup: not some of my finest, but thanks. :cheers:

thats Sierra Blanca (white mountain for those who dont hablo espagnol). at nearly 12,000 feet it is the southernmost ski resort in north america. the picture was taken on friday, and believe it or not, all the snow pictured on the frontside pictured has already melted. the backside (northside) receives the non direct sunlight and is where the snow usually stays all season.

its about a 40 minute drive to the base and about an hour to the highest point you can reach w/o a ski lift. the cool thing is you drive through 4 different ecosystems to get there.

the view from the top isnt quite as amazing as pikes peak (where you can see into like 7-8 states), but you can see into AZ, TX, CO, mexico, and i think UT from there.

my buddy took me to the top for the black run the first time i ever went skiing, and believe me, it takes well over an hour to tumble all the way down that peak.

:injured: :crutches:

needless to say i was pretty sore the next day. oh, the crazy things kids will do with a few joints and a flask of whisky... :chuckle:

We don't get big snowfalls here anymore. All we get are Cleveland's leftovers. :banging::banging::banging:

word to the wise...

dont eat the brown snow. :yuck:

Nadroj 20
11-03-2009, 10:23 PM
No snow where i live yet, thank goodness, however it will start soon enough and probably be the usual mess haha

Galax Steeler
11-04-2009, 05:04 AM
30 degrees here this morning and no snow haven't seen none all year.

X-Terminator
11-04-2009, 06:56 AM
We did? I know you live only about a mile away from me and as I've been out and about running myself ragged the last couple of weeks, I would have known if it snowed - even if just a dusting. That must have been one wild dream you had. :chuckle:

Yep, we did - it was very early in the morning, but we did have snow showers - just none of it stuck to the ground. It was on a Saturday morning, in fact. Trust me, I was not dreaming! :chuckle:

stlrtruck
11-04-2009, 09:35 AM
i finally downloaded the 2 i took of said incident-

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/halloween009.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/halloween008.jpg

not quite pikes peak, but it isnt too bad for the middle of the desert before november. (on a good year this mt. is capped for 2-3 months, and texans flock here like flies for skiing).

my philosophy on this strange substance is kinda like what they say about grandchildren-

its nice to have them/it close by enough where you can go anytime to visit, but you definitely dont want it/them at your house for months at a time.

i like the desert. imo keep the stuff where it belongs, 20 minutes away.

If it weren't for my time up north, I wouldn't have known those were mountains. You'd be surprised what they call a mountain here in FL.

Now I recognize the white stuff. Cool. Haven't seen it in years, and for that I'm thankful.

tony hipchest
12-03-2009, 10:34 PM
now its getting really strange.

all night monday and half the day tuesday it snowed a good 4-6" (= snow day for the kids in school). the sun was shining by mid afternoon. it was pretty sunny yesterday but still cold enough to where all the snow didnt melt. i had to finally break down and light the furnace.

now its doing it again tonight!!!! we very rarely get 2 snows that stick in an entire season, let alone twice in one week.

hundreds of trees all around town have had huge branches break off because the leaves havent even fallen off of them yet (hell, half the leaves are still green).

whats funny is there is virtually no clouds over the entire southwest or winter storm system moving through. both times its just been a tiny spot on the map where the cold air and the moist air are converging right over us.

its pretty cool. ive never seen this strange substance on the ground for 5 straight days (which means it will probably be 65 degrees tomorrow).

fansince'76
12-03-2009, 10:42 PM
About 5 degrees here at the moment. Brrr!

MasterOfPuppets
12-03-2009, 10:44 PM
its global warming !!!....:willy:

Nadroj 20
12-03-2009, 10:45 PM

Wow and im complianing and mad about 40....i will say by this time last year we had already had a good bit of snow and so far none i hope it stays that way as long as possible :hope:

MACH1
12-03-2009, 11:20 PM

Not to far behind. Its 11* here.

tony hipchest
12-03-2009, 11:47 PM

Not to far behind. Its 11* here.yeah, but you guys like live at the north pole, and shit.

ive been in single digit weather a time or 2. its not nice. in fact it freaking sucks. albuquerque is too cold for me. i dont think i could ever get acclimated any further north.

MACH1
12-03-2009, 11:54 PM
yeah, but you guys like live at the north pole, and shit.

ive been in single digit weather a time or 2. its not nice. in fact it freaking sucks. albuquerque is too cold for me. i dont think i could ever get acclimated any further north.

Actually, I just talked to my friend in North Pole. They're not in the single digits yet, its not spring time. :chuckle: He said it was warm, only 15 below. :doh:

MasterOfPuppets
12-04-2009, 12:04 AM
yeah, but you guys like live at the north pole, and shit.

candyass....:popcorn:

MasterOfPuppets
12-04-2009, 12:05 AM
Actually, I just talked to my friend in North Pole. They're not in the single digits yet, its not spring time. :chuckle: He said it was warm, only 15 below. :doh:
you know santa ? :pde: would ya mind tellin him i've been good all year ( she didn't tell me she was married, so that one wasn't my fault) , and would like a 10 inch dewalt table saw and an 18v hitachi coordless drill ?

MACH1
12-04-2009, 12:23 AM
you know santa ? :pde: would ya mind tellin him i've been good all year ( she didn't tell me she was married, so that one wasn't my fault) , and would like a 10 inch dewalt table saw and an 18v hitachi coordless drill ?

Been there, I'll put in a good word for ya. :wink02:

http://images.travelpod.com/users/colin/2.1250187853.santa-s-house-at-north-pole.jpg

tony hipchest
12-04-2009, 12:24 AM
candyass....:popcorn:

:chuckle: thats why i take the bad with the good and never bitch about 105-110 degree heat. infact arizona summer heat of 115-120 is about as soothing and relaxing as standing in a campfire on a cold winter day. :thumbsup:

living up north is SO ice age. do you guys hunt wooly mammoth, walrus, and sabertooth and shit?

in the modern day of planes, trains, and automobiles, i think i would let evolution and natural selection play out and migrate south.

seriously, i guess i could live up north. las vegas maybe? :noidea: