PDA

View Full Version : Scrambling QBs and Overpursuing Defenses

steelcityjameser
01-22-2006, 02:25 PM
The Steelers have been guilty of it in the past. Overpursuing a scrambling QB in the backfield only to have him roll out, or break containment and kill us with the rush. Thoughts on how the Steelers will avoid this potential problem?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2006, 02:27 PM
Contain him in the pocket.. clog the middle and close in on him on each side so he has no choice but to throw it or take the sack. Plain and simple thats how it needs to happen w/ Jake today.

steelcityjameser
01-22-2006, 02:33 PM
he is certainly not enough of a threat to spy is he? i would not think so. i am also wondering about how employing the attack you suggest may leave us very susceptible to screen passes. is that a concern? don't get me wrong, i am not scared of these little fillies, i am just trying to diagnose potential causes for adjustment throughout the game. anyhoo.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2006, 02:57 PM
Thats how we've been doing it all year.. we rarely bring more than 5..but if we can mix it up and confuse them, we'll still have coverage in the middle..

It all comes down to excution, so lets get it on.

GoStillersGo
01-22-2006, 03:12 PM
We just need to contain him and not get out of position. Plummer is much better outside the pocket than inside.

Crush the pocket around him.

Suitanim
01-22-2006, 07:07 PM
The Steelers have been guilty of it in the past. Overpursuing a scrambling QB in the backfield only to have him roll out, or break containment and kill us with the rush. Thoughts on how the Steelers will avoid this potential problem?

Just the way they did it today...