PDA

View Full Version : HoFers currently on the roster

Raynestorm
10-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Simple task...name some HoFers that are on the current roster.

Ben: First, he's got two rings and that makes him stand out from most. Second, I think, by the time he retires, he'll have the numbers. Third, no QB in the league is harder to bring down, even if you get a hand on him. And he makes plays outside the pocket. He's like a much larger version of John Elway. Speaking of John, I think by the time it's all over, Ben will have more comeback wins than John.

Hines: He's got 5 more years on his contract and he's having a career year right now. He's second in the league in yards. He'll easily overtake 13K by the time he leaves the NFL. He's known for being the tough, over the middle guy that can put you on your can with a run block. The HoF committee likes guys like that. He's also smiling all the time - which means he LOVES the game. The HoF committie likes that, too.

Troy P. He plays like a beast. It's a toss up between him and Ed Reed as to who the best safety is in the league. He flies to the ball and his speed gives LeBeau the ability to disguise coverages. He's excellent in pass coveage and can bring the wood on a hit. He may, by the time he retires, lead the NFL all time for INTS from the safety position.

Possible but it's too soon yet: Woodley. His ability to either be a DE or an LB is going to give him some numbers and he's the future leader of the D.

Guys that have left the team that I think will go in....Dermontti Dawson, Jerome Bettis and Bill Cowher.

Rayne

steelreserve
10-29-2009, 11:03 AM
If we win a third Super Bowl this year, I think it will mean a LOT more guys will have at least a shot of getting in.

Much as I hate to say it, Parker would probably be at the top of that list, because when's the last time a RB who won three Super Bowls didn't make it? ... well, Roger Craig, but that's a travesty if you ask me, and he still has a chance.

I also think Ike Taylor and Casey Hampton would get consideration IF we won another Super Bowl (but not without it) as the "anchors" of their respective parts of the defense. Heath Miller, A. Smith and Farrior would be in the same scenario, but admittedly much more of a longshot. Maybe one of those guys would make it out of the group.

edit: And yes, I think Ben, Troy and Ward are all a lock to get in the HOF, or damn near a lock. Of former players, Dawson definitely, Bettis definitely, Faneca maybe, and Porter also maybe, if he keeps playing well for another 2-3 years or so.

Steelboy84
10-29-2009, 11:05 AM
If he keeps it up, James Harrison.

Angus Burgher
10-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Dick LaBeau had better make it in. They've been saying that for a while now that even though the committee is biased against inducting position coaches, LaBeau is just too much of a genius to ignore.

Ben has a really good shot. 4 out of 5 years in the league, he’s made it to the playoffs, and two of those years were Super Bowl wins. His numbers are continuing to improve as they’ve moved to a more pass-friendly offense… many are comparing him to his hero, Elway, but to be honest, I think that when all is said and done, Ben might have the better career. It took Elway until the last two years of his career to win the Super Bowl. Ben’s already done that twice, and I don’t think he’s done yet. He also had the best first season of any rookie QB, ever (0 regular season losses… suck on that, Flacco).

Hines Ward is the toughest wide receiver in football and though a veteran player, looks just as good as players 10 years younger than him. He has several more seasons left in him, and when he’s done, he’ll probably have surpassed 13,000-14,000 yards.

Troy is a shoe-in. The guy is not only the best defensive player in the game… he’s the best player. Period.

James Harrison also has a shot if he keeps up with the sacks. The guy is unstoppable (unless you apply an illegal hold, which you really should since the officials tend to look the other way!).

A few youngsters that look like they could be huge…

Santonio Holmes… not only can he make stunning catches, but he’s a master of the YAC. Check out that catch-and-run he had last week or his TD against the Ravens in the AFC Championship Game last year.

Mike Wallace... This rookie is playing as well as third or fourth-year man. Sky’s the limit, baby!

Rashard Mendenhall… If he can hold onto the ball a little bit better, I think that this guy has both the speed and the physical toughness that Pittsburgh has lacked at the runningback position since the backfield tandem of Jerome Bettis and (healthy) Willie Parker. He could have a huge career if he just sharpens his focus a bit.

As for former members, Bettis and Cowher will definitely make it in.

steeltheone
10-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Willie Parker a Hall of Famer..C'mon

Indo
10-29-2009, 11:59 AM
I would love to see Heath get in. We all know that he's one of the best (if not THE Best) TE in the league. But his numbers aren't as good as some others. Unfortunately, it's hard to count the "Intangibles" (like blocking ability) when considering a HoFer...

Hopefully he keeps rolling and getting the numbers (receptions, TDs)

As for Ben--yes
Hines---I think so
Troy----I agree. Best player in the whole damn league. Whole offensive schemes have to be changed to account for him.

LeBeau gets in this year.

Angus Burgher
10-29-2009, 12:03 PM
Damn, yeah I forgot about Heath. He's one of our best players and its good to see him getting the ball more often. I think he definitely has a shot if they keep on involving him the passing game. The guy is such an awesome blocker, too.

TX Steelerfan
10-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Lynn Swann and John Stallworth are both HOF'ers for this franchise. Hines Ward has surpassed their records and holds all-time Steeler records in several receiving categories, has a SB MVP award, is considered the best blocking WR of our time. If he's not a lock, I sure don't know what is.

LeBeau is way overdue; he's a legendary position coach who also made a name for himself as a player.

As for former Steeler playerss (retired or active) who are locks, I'd say only 2: Bettis, and Faneca.

Current Steelers who have a good chance but are not yet locks: Ben and Troy, and that's it. You have to keep in mind that a HOF'er either puts up crazy numbers at their position, have a consistent and long career (Ben, hopefully), and/or has elevated their respective position to a new level as well as redefined their position (Troy).

As for the others mentioned in this thread, I'll say this: they may be candidates for the Steelers Coca-Cola Great Hall, but they are far from serious contention for enshrinement at Canton.

steelreserve
10-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Willie Parker a Hall of Famer..C'mon

Not because I think he's a good running back, that's for sure. If we win three Super Bowls, it'll be in spite of him, not because he helped much. But I can see him getting in by default just because he happened to be "The Starter" at a key position on a 3x Super Bowl winner.

Indo
10-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Lynn Swann and John Stallworth are both HOF'ers for this franchise. Hines Ward has surpassed their records and holds all-time Steeler records in several receiving categories, has a SB MVP award, is considered the best blocking WR of our time. If he's not a lock, I sure don't know what is.

LeBeau is way overdue; he's a legendary position coach who also made a name for himself as a player.

As for former Steeler playerss (retired or active) who are locks, I'd say only 2: Bettis, and Faneca.

Current Steelers who have a good chance but are not yet locks: Ben and Troy, and that's it. You have to keep in mind that a HOF'er either puts up crazy numbers at their position, have a consistent and long career (Ben, hopefully), and/or has elevated their respective position to a new level as well as redefined their position (Troy).

As for the others mentioned in this thread, I'll say this: they may be candidates for the Steelers Coca-Cola Great Hall, but they are far from serious contention for enshrinement at Canton.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you---Heath, the LBs, Aaron Smith, etc most likely will not get in...Hell, Donnie Shell and LC Greenwood aren't even in the Hall

I hope Dawson makes it

steelerchad
10-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Boy, I'm not even sure Hines is getting in. I don't think we have a lock to get in on our roster right now. Although, I do think Ben, Hines, and Troy have the best chances.

I think Ben just needs to finish his career. If he keeps up the current pace as he's had through the first 5 years and plays another 5-8 years, he'll get in.

Troy just needs to not retire early, which I think is a possiblility. Another 4-5 years of solid ball and he'll get in.

My thinking was Hines may be on the outside looking in because of numbers. Not that his career numbers aren't great, but his season numbers are rarely near the top......until this year. If we keep playing this style and Hines hangs in 2 more years after this, I think he's in. When you compare him with Swann and Stallworth you can't really do it. It's a different game today. The numbers don't really translate. I love all the other things he brings to the table such as great attitude, toughness, clutch playmaker, devastating blocker, reliability, but I'm not sure how much the voters will look at that stuff.

Another Superbowl would help all 3 greatly and in fact probably lock it up for them. As for the others, we have alot of very good players, but not HOF quality I'm afraid. Some of the young guys could get there but it's way too early to project that.

As far as Willie Parker, I don't think he's very respected around the league. And I don't think he's very appreciated around here. He was a decent back for a couple of years, but I think injuries have taken their toll. They often do with running backs. Heck, he may not even be on a roster next year, let alone ours. And HOF, not even close.

Other thing to think about is they limit it to 5 players per year, when you put it in that context you're really talking about the best of the best. And not just for a few years, like James Harrison, but for a career like Ray Lewis. As much as I hate Ray, James Harrison has no chance at his age of making the HOF. His career accomplishments won't be enough because of his late start. He can only play another 3-4 years.

Indo
10-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Boy, I'm not even sure Hines is getting in. I don't think we have a lock to get in on our roster right now. Although, I do think Ben, Hines, and Troy have the best chances.

I think Ben just needs to finish his career. If he keeps up the current pace as he's had through the first 5 years and plays another 5-8 years, he'll get in.

Troy just needs to not retire early, which I think is a possiblility. Another 4-5 years of solid ball and he'll get in.

My thinking was Hines may be on the outside looking in because of numbers. Not that his career numbers aren't great, but his season numbers are rarely near the top......until this year. If we keep playing this style and Hines hangs in 2 more years after this, I think he's in. When you compare him with Swann and Stallworth you can't really do it. It's a different game today. The numbers don't really translate. I love all the other things he brings to the table such as great attitude, toughness, clutch playmaker, devastating blocker, reliability, but I'm not sure how much the voters will look at that stuff.

Another Superbowl would help all 3 greatly and in fact probably lock it up for them. As for the others, we have alot of very good players, but not HOF quality I'm afraid. Some of the young guys could get there but it's way too early to project that.

As far as Willie Parker, I don't think he's very respected around the league. And I don't think he's very appreciated around here. He was a decent back for a couple of years, but I think injuries have taken their toll. They often do with running backs. Heck, he may not even be on a roster next year, let alone ours. And HOF, not even close.

Other thing to think about is they limit it to 5 players per year, when you put it in that context you're really talking about the best of the best. And not just for a few years, like James Harrison, but for a career like Ray Lewis. As much as I hate Ray, James Harrison has no chance at his age of making the HOF. His career accomplishments won't be enough because of his late start. He can only play another 3-4 years.

You are right about Willie---no way
And it chaps my @ss that Ray the Knife will probably get in...

steelerchad
10-29-2009, 01:11 PM
One more point showing how tough it is to get in.
With the 5 year waiting period in effect Faulk, Bettis, and Curtis Martin will all be eligible the same year. Most expert think only 2 will be in on the first ballot. I think Faulk is a lock, so it would be between Bettis and Martin. I think Bettis gets the nod due to winning a ring his last year, but statistically they are very similar. All 3 will get in eventually, but this just shows you how hard it is to make it. Ask Art Monk.

Has anyone outside of Ben, Hines, and Troy on the roster today done anywhere near as much over their career as Bettis?

Steelillini
10-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Hines -- yes, no way he does not get in
Ben-- right now no but another 5-6 years and one more ring then probably
Troy-- see Ben above

everyone else, no way unless the younger guys, Woodley, Holmes, Mendenhall go off for about 5-6 years and get another ring.

The recent past, Bettis and Faneca are the only two

SteelC7
10-29-2009, 02:17 PM
ben only if he continues to win games in the 4th quarter, win 1 or 2 more SBs and gets 3-4 more pro bowls, plus keep the stats up, less INTS, more TDs. hines will make it, the hall of fame is about more than stats, as evidenced by cris carter and andre reed not being in, but anyway hines ward has the intangibles, hes the best blocking WR ever, and thats a fact, hes the steelers all time leader in everythingWR related, and swann and stalllworth got in with less numbers, plus hes a SB MVP, 4 pro bowls, maybe a 5th after this year, his numbers are better than michael irvins, and hes in the HoF. lastly, troy polamalu, as long as he stays mostly injury free, and keeps up this level of play, hes a sure thing for the HoF he will have alot of INTs by the time he retires, hes got alot of pro bowls and goes every year, he will get defensive player of the year by the time he retires too. besides those 3 under those conditions, thats it, its too early to tell on anybody else, we have no idea about holmes, wallace, and mendenhall are too young to tell, and heath just doesnt have the numbers or pro bowls and probably wont, BUT he will be the best TE in steelers history, which isnt the biggest honor but its something, hes a great player just not HoF material

Steelerfreak58
10-29-2009, 02:22 PM
The Hall of Shame means absolutely nothing to me until LC Greenwood is accepted in which should have happened 20+ years ago. Until that time its crap to me.

steeltheone
10-29-2009, 02:40 PM
Dawson before Faneca

BlastFurnace
10-29-2009, 04:48 PM
We've had this discussion before. I'll throw a lightening rod out there...How about Aaron Smith

steelreserve
10-29-2009, 04:52 PM
We've had this discussion before. I'll throw a lightening rod out there...How about Aaron Smith

I personally think he's deserving of consideration, but definitely a longshot. We all know him as one of the best defensive linemen in the game, but he doesn't get the flashy sack numbers because he does his job, which is stopping the run and creating disruption at the line.

I have a feeling he'll get passed over because he doesn't look like a big playmaker, even though that's by design in our system.

tyler289
10-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Hines is on the bubble right now due to the other active WRs with great numbers as well (TO, Bruce, Holt, etc etc). He's got really solid numbers but a 3-4000 more yards, 10-15 more TDs, and 250-350 more receptions probably gets him in.

Barring injury or a major collapse as a player, Ben is going to get in. Troy is probably in as well.

solardave
10-29-2009, 05:16 PM
I would love to see Heath get in. We all know that he's one of the best (if not THE Best) TE in the league. But his numbers aren't as good as some others. Unfortunately, it's hard to count the "Intangibles" (like blocking ability) when considering a HoFer...

Hopefully he keeps rolling and getting the numbers (receptions, TDs)

As for Ben--yes
Hines---I think so
Troy----I agree. Best player in the whole damn league. Whole offensive schemes have to be changed to account for him.

LeBeau gets in this year.

Before I say this let me begin with saying Heath is one of the best TEs in the league but will never make the HOF. He can't even make the pro bowl because we haven't used him enough in the passing game (I think he will this year)and you have to pile up pro bowls to be considered. I think it's a shame for him not to get the credit he deserves. Same with Aaron Smith.Troy-YES,Ben-YES. If we win another SB and Harrison plays 3-4 more years at this level I think he gets in.Oh Yeah- Hines-Absolfreakinlutely.Same for Lebeau.

solardave
10-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Not because I think he's a good running back, that's for sure. If we win three Super Bowls, it'll be in spite of him, not because he helped much. But I can see him getting in by default just because he happened to be "The Starter" at a key position on a 3x Super Bowl winner.

Sorry. I can't agree. If we win 3 more his body of work doesn't merit it. He's been out more than in the last 2 seasons. Now if we would have won just one while Dermonti was playing. He's in,but because of his body of work. IMO he was in the top 5 EVER as a center.

Steelboy84
10-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Hines is on the bubble right now due to the other active WRs with great numbers as well (TO, Bruce, Holt, etc etc). He's got really solid numbers but a 3-4000 more yards, 10-15 more TDs, and 250-350 more receptions probably gets him in.

Barring injury or a major collapse as a player, Ben is going to get in. Troy is probably in as well.

He's our all time leading receiver and has played most of his career on a run oriented team.

One would think that would be more than enough to get in, if not the first ballot, at least the second. But it took Art Monk a while. So we'll see.

iloveben7
10-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Ben, Hines, and Troy are all locks imo
and Woodley/Holmes if they keep getting better and put up great numbers

Steelboy84
10-29-2009, 07:20 PM
Troy is a for sure lock.

HometownGal
10-29-2009, 09:11 PM
I would think Ben would be a lock with 2 SB rings in his first 5 seasons with the Steelers but ya never know with those chuckle heads who do the voting. :banging.

I would absolutely love to see Hines there and as much as it pains me to say this - he simply doesn't have the "numbers". Sorry.

If Troy can stay healthy for the next 10 or so years and keep playing at the phenomenal level he has since he became a Steeler, he's a definite lock. :thumbsup:

Last but not least, I think James Harrison may have a shot if he can continue to stay healthy and like Troy - play at the phenomenal level he's been playing at. :hope:

steelerchad
10-29-2009, 10:03 PM
I would think Ben would be a lock with 2 SB rings in his first 5 seasons with the Steelers but ya never know with those chuckle heads who do the voting. :banging.

I would absolutely love to see Hines there and as much as it pains me to say this - he simply doesn't have the "numbers". Sorry.

If Troy can stay healthy for the next 10 or so years and keep playing at the phenomenal level he has since he became a Steeler, he's a definite lock. :thumbsup:

Last but not least, I think James Harrison may have a shot if he can continue to stay healthy and like Troy - play at the phenomenal level he's been playing at. :hope:

Troy will be long gone by then. If he plays 5 more years after this I would be surprised.

solardave
10-30-2009, 03:26 AM
Troy will be long gone by then. If he plays 5 more years after this I would be surprised.

I kind of think the same thing but just when you think he's only 50% he comes in and makes plays. Just when you think he's hurt bad there he is making plays. It will be sad if he retires young but he seems like that guy who doesn't care about accalades.To me he's like Barrty Sanders on defense.:wink02:

Aussie_steeler
10-30-2009, 04:32 AM
I can see the day when I am truly disgusted by the HOF voters. Ray Lewis will walk into the Hall whilst Aaron Smith will never ever be considered by 98% of voters.

The 3-4 defensive scheme has accounted for some of the most dominant defences ever. Aaron Smith is the most undervalued player outside of Pittsburgh. His physical presence in the trenches will go unnoticed (much like Casey Hampton) whilst the purple helmeted pile jumper will enter as the most dominant ILB of the modern era.

I will be totally blown away if Aaron Smith or Casey Hampton ever get listed for consideration. They should but we know that they never will. There are too many Patriots with their tarnished rings lining up to claim spots in front of Smith and Hampton.

My list of potential candidates = Ben, Hines, Casey, Aaron, Troy
My realistic list = Hines ( I believe the voters would have Brady, Manning and McNabb in front of Ben in this popularity contest and to appease Baltimore Ray and Ed go leaving Troy frozen out)

43Hitman
10-30-2009, 08:32 AM

I think Hines and Troy gets in now. Even if Troy does retire early(I agree with you that he may) he has been dominate since his second season. Our team completely changes when he is or is not playing. Ben has a real shot if he continues his current pace. I also agree that James, while I love the way he plays, will have started to late in his career to get in. Farrior might have an outside shot for his longevity and consistency, dude has a ton of tackles, just like Stabbit.

revefsreleets
10-30-2009, 09:38 AM
I actually am beginning to change my tune about Ward. I thought he was on the bubble and probably would not get in, but he's still playing at a high level, and the fact that we are throwing more now bodes well for him. Another Super Bowl win and he's a shoe-in, and I think he may get in anyway assuming he can still produce for another couple seasons.

Ben will almost certainly make it, barring anything catastrophic.

Troy is looking good, too, but with the same caveat.

Harrison most likely won't play long enough to compile the numbers, but it certainly won't be for lack of trying. He's a beast!

I think that's about it for now...obviously there are others who may have bright careers ahead of them, but it's too early to tell.

Of course, Limas Sweed is a future HOFer, as soon as he actually starts dressing...:rofl:

Angus Burgher
10-30-2009, 09:46 AM
Why do some of you guys think Troy might retire early? Has he indicated that he might?

I really hope he doesn't. The guy is already a legendary player and will continue to be for a long time. Without him, football in general - not just Steelers football - would be far less interesting.

BlastFurnace
10-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Why do some of you guys think Troy might retire early? Has he indicated that he might?

I really hope he doesn't. The guy is already a legendary player and will continue to be for a long time. Without him, football in general - not just Steelers football - would be far less interesting.

I think he will retire early because the wear and tear on his body and the amount of concussions he has endured.

I also remember hearing or reading something he said that he didn't want to play into his mid 30's.

Psyychoward86
10-30-2009, 10:09 AM
Much respect, but James Harrison and Willie Parker in the HOF? Lol, we are such homers :chuckle:

tyler289
10-30-2009, 10:20 AM
Hines' numbers aren't really the issue. His are near the top in every major category and he will be deserving based on numbers.

The issue? He's never been "elite" at his position. When you think of current-day elite WRs, you think Moss, TO (who is a lock, IMO), Fitzgerald, and, in the 90s, Bruce, Holt. Hines' numbers are very close to Derrick Mason, Keenan McCardell, Muhammed, and Rod Smith. He's going to finish top 12 in receptions when he retires. He's 32 and could probably play 4 more years. Add in 20 TDs (5 a year, not including this year), and he's at 94 TDs, 9th all-time. If he gets to 14,000 yards, which is really possible, IMO, he's top 7 (pending a few other active guys, like Moss and Holt. Either way, he's top 10.

Then, if you give him 150 more catches, he ends with 992, which would make him top 10 (assuming Holt and Moss continue to rack up catches). So, in conclusion, he likely will finish top 10 in catches, TD catches, and yards. I can't see how you keep him out with those numbers, ESPECIALLY considering he played in run-heavy offenses just about his entire career and will go down as one of the best blocking WRs in football.

The big issue? He's only made 4 pro bowls. Holt has 7. He's never been considered "elite." He does have the SB XL mvp on his resume and two rings and may get a third.

I still think he gets in. When you're top 10 all-time in all 3 major categories, and you're a great blocker, with a SB mvp, two rings, I think he'll get in. But he needs to improve his resume to do so. Right now, he's not in.

stb_steeler
10-30-2009, 07:23 PM
Hines will be a HOF, first Dick Lebeau.

HometownGal
10-30-2009, 07:55 PM
Hines will be a HOF, first Dick Lebeau.

Dick Lebeau is a lock and much deserving! :applaudit::hatsoff::tt02:

Even after reading some of the really good posts in this thread on Hines, my jury is still very much out on whether he gets into the HOF or not simply based on his numbers. If I was on the panel, I'd vote him in without blinking an eye but I'm not and the panel can sometimes be very fickle.

CargoJon
10-31-2009, 09:20 PM
Hines' numbers aren't really the issue. His are near the top in every major category and he will be deserving based on numbers.

The issue? He's never been "elite" at his position. When you think of current-day elite WRs, you think Moss, TO (who is a lock, IMO), Fitzgerald, and, in the 90s, Bruce, Holt. Hines' numbers are very close to Derrick Mason, Keenan McCardell, Muhammed, and Rod Smith. He's going to finish top 12 in receptions when he retires. He's 32 and could probably play 4 more years. Add in 20 TDs (5 a year, not including this year), and he's at 94 TDs, 9th all-time. If he gets to 14,000 yards, which is really possible, IMO, he's top 7 (pending a few other active guys, like Moss and Holt. Either way, he's top 10.

Then, if you give him 150 more catches, he ends with 992, which would make him top 10 (assuming Holt and Moss continue to rack up catches). So, in conclusion, he likely will finish top 10 in catches, TD catches, and yards. I can't see how you keep him out with those numbers, ESPECIALLY considering he played in run-heavy offenses just about his entire career and will go down as one of the best blocking WRs in football.

The big issue? He's only made 4 pro bowls. Holt has 7. He's never been considered "elite." He does have the SB XL mvp on his resume and two rings and may get a third.

I still think he gets in. When you're top 10 all-time in all 3 major categories, and you're a great blocker, with a SB mvp, two rings, I think he'll get in. But he needs to improve his resume to do so. Right now, he's not in.
If Hines keeps it up he will be in the Pro Bowl this year, that's for sure.

Cheppy
10-31-2009, 11:09 PM
These are the current Steelers that are making the Hall Of Fame:

Hines Ward
Ben Roethlisberger
Troy Polamalu

In a world where people knew what they're talking about Aaron Smith would be on that list.

But those are the three that are making it.

Psyychoward86
10-31-2009, 11:49 PM
come to think of it, how many 3-4 D-ends have gone into the HOF?

madtowndrunkard
11-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Dick Lebeau
Big Ben
Hines Ward
Troy Polamalu

Honorable mentions....(another SB ring a few more probowls could put these guys in the conversation)

Casey Hampton
Aaron Smith
James Harrison

revefsreleets
11-02-2009, 10:29 AM
These are the current Steelers that are making the Hall Of Fame:

Hines Ward
Ben Roethlisberger
Troy Polamalu

In a world where people knew what they're talking about Aaron Smith would be on that list.

But those are the three that are making it.

I know what I'm talking about....and I left Aaron Smith off that list because he will NEVER make the HOF.

Aaron Smith is not getting into the Hall of Fame. So, in THIS World, the World of reality, and not your fantasy World where you know more, apparently, than almost everyone who can actually VOTE for the HOF, you are wrong. You are certainly welcome to your opinion, and you are also more than welcome to live in any alternate reality you wish to, but the Hall of Fame actually exists in the real World and Smith ain't ever getting in.

Please stop now...

Cheppy
11-02-2009, 05:25 PM
come to think of it, how many 3-4 D-ends have gone into the HOF?

To my knowledge none.

I know what I'm talking about....

When it comes to Aaron Smith's play and what his position entails? You most certaintly do not:chuckle:

he will NEVER make the HOF.

No way? Really?

Aaron Smith is not getting into the Hall of Fame. So, in THIS World, the World of reality, and not your fantasy World where you know more, apparently, than almost everyone who can actually VOTE for the HOF, you are wrong.

I don't know if you noticed but when it was announced that Smith was done for the season sports writers and analysts (in particular ones from pittsburgh who know his worth more than the national media in general.) were acknowledging how huge of a loss it was & how he's perrennially one of the most underrated players in the sport. In Dick Lebeau's own words, "he's unblockable."

But that's really neither here nor there.

(i'm can't believe i'm telling this to of all people someone who calls himself a steelers fan)

Please stop now...

I will if you stop telling me he's not going to make the hall of fame. (something i've made crystal clear to be aware of yet that fact still eludes you somehow)

As for the Hines Ward discussion. He shows no signs of slowing down and barring injury should easily be in the top 10 all-time in terms of yards and receptions when it's all said & done. (he very well could be in the top 5 in both categories) He has a super bowl mvp under his belt & is widely considered to be the best blocking receiver in the history of the sport. (his bone crushing hits on defenders are more, sexy, so to speak, and just visually easier to reference than a 3/4 end taking on multiple linemen at once to help his backers make plays while simultaneously pushing the pocket)

He deserves to be inducted and he will be inducted.

Cheppy
11-02-2009, 05:33 PM
I actually am beginning to change my tune about Ward. I thought he was on the bubble and probably would not get in, but he's still playing at a high level, and the fact that we are throwing more now bodes well for him. Another Super Bowl win and he's a shoe-in, and I think he may get in anyway assuming he can still produce for another couple seasons.

Him being the best blocking receiver of all-time isn't a factor at all?

HometownGal
11-02-2009, 09:41 PM

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :coffee: :yawn:

revefsreleets
11-03-2009, 01:00 PM
NONE of the adulation of the fans of the Steelers will ever change the stone cold iron clad lock of a fact that Smith won't even make a finalists list for the HOF.

That has absolutely NOTHING to do with me. It's not MY decision. It's simply the way of the World...but it's interesting to see that I'M the one who takes the criticism for simply calling it the way it really is.

Smith has been a linchpin of our D for years. He's a great DE. I'll miss him when he's gone and can only pray that we are lucky and wise enough to replace him with a guy who is a reasonable analog.

But he ain't makin' the Hall...and you can kill the messenger all you like, and claim to know oh so much more about football and the role of the DE in the 3-4 than me, and any other silly thing you'd like to do, but it won't change the fact that he's not even gonna sniff the HOF.

As for Hines being a great blocker, I doubt that will have much pull with the people who determine which players make the hall. Maybe a little...but it might also work AGAINST him a little, too. He has an undeserved rep as a dirty player, and some might hold that against him.

Cheppy
11-03-2009, 02:53 PM
I will if you stop telling me he's not going to make the hall of fame. (something i've made crystal clear to be aware of yet that fact still eludes you somehow)

NONE of the adulation of the fans of the Steelers will ever change the stone cold iron clad lock of a fact that Smith won't even make a finalists list for the HOF.

That has absolutely NOTHING to do with me. It's not MY decision. It's simply the way of the World...but it's interesting to see that I'M the one who takes the criticism for simply calling it the way it really is.

Smith has been a linchpin of our D for years. He's a great DE. I'll miss him when he's gone and can only pray that we are lucky and wise enough to replace him with a guy who is a reasonable analog.

But he ain't makin' the Hall...and you can kill the messenger all you like, and claim to know oh so much more about football and the role of the DE in the 3-4 than me, and any other silly thing you'd like to do, but it won't change the fact that he's not even gonna sniff the HOF.

Wow.

As for Hines being a great blocker, I doubt that will have much pull with the people who determine which players make the hall. Maybe a little...

To real football people it will. Bill Parcells went out of his way to tell him he played the game the right way.

but it might also work AGAINST him a little, too. He has an undeserved rep as a dirty player, and some might hold that against him.

I can agree with that. But on the flip-side, the way Goodell is steadily screwing up the league, people can point to his play as an example of when football was more hard-nosed & pure than what the league will surely be in the future.