PDA

View Full Version : Browns fans organizing "Brown Out"....

revefsreleets
10-29-2009, 04:51 PM
This is actually a decent idea. Love 'em or hate 'em, the Browns are still a storied franchise that's been run into the ground. The fans deserve better.

My question is, does the NFL (i.e. Goodell) command ESPN to not show or comment on it if it happens?

http://www.ohio.com/sports/67067577.html

They jammed NFL fax machines and took fans' signatures to the league meetings when owner Art Modell moved the Browns to Baltimore after the 1995 season.
Now wondering whether all that passion and pain were worth it, two longtime Browns season-ticket holders have decided it's time to protest again.
Mike Randall of Massillon and Tony Schafer of Sandusky, aka ''Dawg Pound Mike'' and ''Mobile Dawg,'' want the team they've worshipped for a lifetime to kick off on Monday Night Football on Nov. 16 against the Baltimore Ravens in an empty stadium.

Not empty for the entire game just at kickoff, to voice their displeasure over the state of a team that offers them no hope. The Browns are 1-6 and have lost 12 of their past 13 games.

The two men hope to delay at least half the crowd from sitting down before the 8:30 p.m. start.

''I'm a huge fan and I love the organization, but something needs to be done,'' Randall said. ''We have to make a statement. It's nothing negative, just letting the organization know we support the team, but we do not support what's going on right now. There's no general manager, no public relations, nobody letting the fans know they feel our pain. Someone needs to step up and say, 'We're going to fix this.' Fans, it's time we made a stand.

''I'm not saying boycott or wear paper bags. We'll have people around the gates to let people know. Go to the concourse, go to the restroom, just don't go to your seat.''

Schafer said when he and Randall came up with the idea, he suggested the Dec. 6 home game against the San Diego Chargers, but Randall liked the Ravens game better.

''What better way than on Monday Night Football, a national audience and against the Baltimore Ravens, who we lost the team to?'' Randall asked.

Both Randall, 39, who works in sports marketing, and Schafer, 58, a general contractor, said their moment of truth came Sunday as they left Cleveland Browns Stadium after a 31-3 loss to the Green Bay Packers.

''Walking out of the stadium, so many fans don't really give a damn. Somebody said, 'We should have been out fishing instead of watching this crap,' '' Schafer said. ''We want someone to tell us where the team is going, what they're going to do. The way it's going, we could lose this team again.

''For a couple of days [in 1995] I faxed all the owners, broke the machines. I went to the NFL meetings in Atlanta with signatures. It's like all the effort the fans put in, it all went for naught. For me, it almost seems like the Browns haven't been back yet. I wear something brown and orange every day, a hat or shirt. I'm supporting the old Browns, the old tradition.''

Randall used to be one of two men who dressed as ''Charlie's Fryes'' when the former University of Akron quarterback played for the Browns. He and Schafer both have met Browns owner Randy Lerner and do not question the camera-shy executive's commitment to the team purchased by his late father Al in September 1998. The elder Lerner died in 2002.

''I've talked to Randy; Randy's a good guy, he wants to win bad,'' Schafer said. ''But if that was my company performing like that, I'd be a mean, nasty S.O.B.''
Browns coach Eric Mangini addressed the fans' frustrations Monday but probably lacked the passion that Randall and Schafer were seeking.

''I don't think anybody is pleased with where we are right now,'' Mangini said. ''We are going to work at it as diligently and as deliberately as we possibly can. The mistakes are going to be analyzed. We're going to put a plan in place to fix them. There is a commitment to that. There is no sense of, 'Things are OK.' It's a sense of, 'We need to do things better.' And it has to be consistently that approach, and it will be. It always will be.''

Randall and Schafer lament the loss of a generation of fans. Schafer has six tickets in the upper level of the Dawg Pound and is taking some of his five grandchildren to the games, just as he did with his sons, now 32 and 33, and as his father did with him.

''My grandkids used to dress up in Browns garb for every game and watch on TV. It's hard to get them motivated to do that,'' Schafer said. ''Three of them went Sunday and one of them said, 'Grandpa, when are we going to win?' ''

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
10-29-2009, 05:01 PM
This is actually a decent idea. Love 'em or hate 'em, the Browns are still a storied franchise that's been run into the ground. The fans deserve better.

My question is, does the NFL (i.e. Goodell) command ESPN to not show or comment on it if it happens?

I don't trust that the NFL will cover it. Wern't they the ones that refused to
show the Steeler and Browns fans protesting the move on MNF in '95? BTW, thanks
to any of you guys whom protested the move against us.

that said, I hope Mangini is fired with like 4 games to go so we can have a looksie at
Ryan to see if he's a head coaching canidate.

I am hoping that Lerner gets a brain in his skull and hires someone like Schottenheimer as Team President or some front office job to get this thing kickstarted or rebuilt.

MasterOfPuppets
10-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Owner Randy Lerner's e-mail response to Browns fans' plan to protest Nov. 16

Published on Thursday, Oct 29, 2009

[QUOTE]Browns owner Randy Lerner's comments (via e-mail) on the planned protest before the Nov. 16 home game against the Baltimore Ravens:

''On the grounds of frustration and irritation with performance, then that's the medicine I [we] are going to take, and I accept that. The goal this year was to rebuild the culture at the Browns. We felt at the end of last year that we lacked any overall philosophy, approach or direction regarding recruiting, drafting, coaching, preparation or training. As a result, each season was feeling like starting over and 4-12 following 10-6 felt painfully not all that surprising.

''It's been way too long since the Browns have had anything to feel good about or invest in, and it's clear that the doubt and negativity are taking on a life of their own.

''What I can say is that we, and I, have remained open to new and fresh ideas and thinking and people with passion for the Browns and football experience getting involved and with hope and luck and support, making a difference. We won't become entrenched or stubborn and despite my allergy to be more conspicuous, I do remain eager to seek help and guidance from any and all corners.''

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/67176022.html

be patient brownie backers...rome wasn't built in a day....:toofunny:

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
10-29-2009, 05:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeJpQlGW_GA

:doh::doh::doh::doh::banging::banging::chuckle:

"Thanks to Randy, oh, what a guy!!!"

RoethlisBURGHer
10-29-2009, 06:45 PM
I think the biggest problem with the Browns is that there is no structure in the front office.

Nobody knows who is really in charge of the football operations. Kokinis' contract states that he has final say in roster moves, but I don't think anyone here actually believes that's the case.

In Pittsburgh, Kevin Colbert is the Director of Football Operations (GM). For the most part, he has the final say over who gets signed, who gets cut, who gets drafted. Him and the head coach come to an agreement about who to draft or sign, for the most part. Colbert makes the final decision though, the only person who can over rule him is Art (or Dan) Rooney.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
10-29-2009, 07:18 PM
I think the biggest problem with the Browns is that there is no structure in the front office.

Nobody knows who is really in charge of the football operations. Kokinis' contract states that he has final say in roster moves, but I don't think anyone here actually believes that's the case.

In Pittsburgh, Kevin Colbert is the Director of Football Operations (GM). For the most part, he has the final say over who gets signed, who gets cut, who gets drafted. Him and the head coach come to an agreement about who to draft or sign, for the most part. Colbert makes the final decision though, the only person who can over rule him is Art (or Dan) Rooney.

This. Times a million.

Lerner did attempt to do this with Phil Savage but he messed it up. He left Savage unchecked and put him with a coach he didn't get to handpick. There's bound to be problems with this.

I would really wish that Lerner would stop looking to New England to model his franchise, but look at every successful team in the league, ESPECIALLY the Steelers.

Steelboy84
10-29-2009, 07:19 PM
They need to organize a football team.

SteelersinCA
10-29-2009, 08:34 PM
They need to organize a football team.

This.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
10-29-2009, 09:30 PM
The owner sez...

“There is no question that the Browns need a credible, vocal leader that is accountable for all levels of performance. Regardless of the title, that person, whether they're in the building currently or not, is a priority.”

http://cle.scout.com/2/914313.html

RoethlisBURGHer
10-29-2009, 09:33 PM
The owner sez...

http://cle.scout.com/2/914313.html

Wow..........Lerner is a moron! :toofunny:

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
10-29-2009, 09:43 PM
Wow..........Lerner is a moron! :toofunny:

Yeah, was about to say.."uh..that's supposed to your job you soccer owning rich bastard".

revefsreleets
10-30-2009, 08:44 AM
On a related note, at some point this Sunday during the Browns Bears game, it becomes mathematically impossible for Brady Quinn to take more than 70% of the snaps this season.

I'm taking a wild guess here that once that time is reached, Quinn magically becomes the Browns starter again...

stlrtruck
10-30-2009, 08:53 AM
I don't trust that the NFL will cover it. Wern't they the ones that refused to
show the Steeler and Browns fans protesting the move on MNF in '95? BTW, thanks
to any of you guys whom protested the move against us.

that said, I hope Mangini is fired with like 4 games to go so we can have a looksie at
Ryan to see if he's a head coaching canidate.

I am hoping that Lerner gets a brain in his skull and hires someone like Schottenheimer as Team President or some front office job to get this thing kickstarted or rebuilt.

While I wasn't there in person, I was still in MD and thought that above all, Modell screwed the second most loyal fans in the NFL. And Tagliabue allowed him to do it. He should have been forced to sell the team to let it stay in Cleveland and given Baltimore the new franchise instead of Jacksonville.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-30-2009, 10:50 AM
Yeah, was about to say.."uh..that's supposed to your job you soccer owning rich bastard".

I understand he doesn't want to be thought of in the same sense as Jerry Jones or Al Davis....but honestly as the owner, it's his job to make sure the power structure stays in place and when there is a big disagreement between the coach and GM, then the owner steps in and makes that decision.

Angus Burgher
10-30-2009, 01:04 PM
I hope they are able to pull this off, and the NFL doesn't try to ****block it. Browns fans have every right to be disgusted with the way that their franchise is being run, and if the NFL has a problem with this on MNF... well, that's why you don't schedule a team coming off a 4-12 season on Monday Night. Chances are, they aren't going to improve THAT much the following season, and so that can often lead to a poor audience turnout in the stadium.

As a Steeler fan, I'll admit that it's comforting to know that there is always at least one team in the division that we can always beat. However, I understand how frustrating it is when you have a legendary team that is one of the worst in the league (think of the 80's, Steelers fans). Browns fans DO deserve better than they're getting, and it's a shame that their franchise keeps falling farther and farther into the abyss.

revefsreleets
10-30-2009, 01:52 PM
If the Browns play on MNF, it greatly increases my odds of seeing the Steelers play on Sunday, so I'm fine with that.