PDA

View Full Version : There was a girl in California that was raped and apparently people just.............

Steelboy84
10-29-2009, 07:10 PM
stood by and did nothing.

3 arrested in Calif. in alleged gang rape of girl

By TERRY COLLINS, Associated Press Writer Terry Collins, Associated Press Writer Wed Oct 28, 12:08 pm ET

RICHMOND, Calif. Three more people have been arrested in connection with the gang rape and beating of a 15-year-old girl outside her high school homecoming dance in an attack that has generated widespread outrage.

A man and two boys were arrested late Tuesday, including 21-year-old Salvador Rodriguez of Richmond, Calif., and two teens, 16 and 17. They were each booked on one count of gang rape and likely face other charges including robbery and kidnapping.

"These are people who played a significant role in the incident," Richmond Police Lt. Mark Gagan said Wednesday. "I'm confident that more arrests will be made."

The arrests bring to five the number of people taken into custody in the attack that occurred Saturday night at Richmond High School, located in the San Francisco Bay area. The attacks and its aftermath have rattled Richmond, Calif., a crime-ridden city of about 120,000 in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Police believe as many as 10 people ranging in age from 15 to mid-20s attacked the girl for more than two hours at a dimly lit area near benches Saturday night. As many as two dozen people saw the rape without notifying police.

The victim, a sophomore, had left the dance and was drinking alcohol in a school courtyard with a group when she was attacked, police said.

Officers found the girl semiconscious and naked from the waist down near a picnic table. She remains hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries.

Police also hope a $20,000 reward will bring more people forward with any information.

Gagan said the girl left the dance and was walking to meet her father for a ride home when a classmate invited her to join a group drinking in the courtyard. The girl had consumed a large amount of alcohol by the time the assault began, police said. Gagan said the girl's father tried to call her cell phone, but no one answered.

Police received a tip about a possible assault on campus from a young woman, a former student, who heard two males bragging about it.

The victim was found nearly an hour after the dance had ended.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091028/ap_on_re_us/us_homecoming_gang_rape

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/28/california.rape.investigation/index.html

http://news.aol.com/article/girl-gang-raped-at-richmond-california/737436

This is so sad. I'm not sure if anyone heard about this or not.

SteelCityMan786
10-29-2009, 07:14 PM
I heard about it, and those kids are what give us high schoolers a Bad name.

tony hipchest
10-29-2009, 07:16 PM
"nothing to see here.... move along"

more media agenda? perhaps it was just staged to sell papers. (sarcasm smiley anyone?)

hindes204
10-29-2009, 07:16 PM
I hope everyone involved goes away for a long long long long time

GBMelBlount
10-29-2009, 08:19 PM
How absolutely devastating & tragic.

Having a 9 year old daughter I can honestly say this is the stuff that really scares you as a parent.

Don't worry 786. I don't think anyone feels that all high school kids are this way.

Police believe as many as 10 people ranging in age from 15 to mid-20s attacked the girl for more than two hours

sounds like it may have been some "homeys" out for a good time?

I hope they lock them up for a long time, including the minors

devilsdancefloor
10-29-2009, 08:29 PM
thsi si very tragic indeed and honestly a parents worst nightmare it hits home pretty hard i have a 18 & 20 yr old daughters. I hope they dont make long and painful for them

Polamalu Princess
10-29-2009, 08:35 PM
This is so sad and just sickening. I pray for her and her family.

tony hipchest
10-29-2009, 09:26 PM
have no [irrational] fear parents! according to m. chricton, evens, and a local cop who went on to work with the fbi only to return and teach at a college, this stuff happened much more in the past and we just didnt hear about it.

kids attend tens of thousands of dances and other social events every year, and only a few hundred (or unreported thousands) of rapes like this occur. odds say your children are safe. dont be ignorant.

the media...

only reports this to...

because they want to.....

to push the agenda of....

so it will serve their purpose of....

:huh: :hunch:

(sarcasm smiley anyone?)

if these crimes have indeed decreased in the past 50 years, i guess we can thank the media for public awareness that cause parents to be more cautious and take preventative measures. :thumbsup:

then again, back in the "good ol days", a crime like this would be looked at as a case of "boys being boys" and havin a little fun with a girl who wanted and deserved what she got, anyways.

its a shame, but i expect the typical "she was wearing a short skirt", blame the victim defense in this case.

tony hipchest
10-29-2009, 09:35 PM
sounds like it may have been some "homeys" out for a good time?

:confused:

homeys in quotes, huh? do you mean like homey the clown? maybe a play on the term homeboys?

what exactly do you mean when you "quote" a popular pop culture term originated from afro-american lingo?

is your use of "homey" just a subtle way of dropping the n-bomb w/o actually dropping the n-bomb?

just wondering.... with all the hate speech youve recently spewed and all.... :noidea:

cubanstogie
10-29-2009, 10:19 PM

homeys in quotes, huh? do you mean like homey the clown? maybe a play on the term homeboys?

what exactly do you mean when you "quote" a popular pop culture term originated from afro-american lingo?

is your use of "homey" just a subtle way of dropping the n-bomb w/o actually dropping the n-bomb?

just wondering.... with all the hate speech youve recently spewed and all.... :noidea:

Tony, your psych meds need adjusting. Pretty much 90 percent of those who live in Richmond are homey's, I don't see how that is hate speech. You may as well volunteer for the ACLU.

GBMelBlount
10-29-2009, 10:27 PM

No, it was not.

Btw, what hate speech have I spewed? I know you've called Bush an "abortion" & said he is "going to hell" but I am not sure what hate speech I spewed.

tony hipchest
10-29-2009, 10:31 PM
No, it was not.
*obvious edited deflection aside....*

so what was it then?

please explain.

GBMelBlount
10-29-2009, 10:36 PM
We will agree to disagree.

You accused me of hate speech. THAT is a serious accusation. Unfortunately, it is a characterization, as I just showed, which can only be attributed to you. Please explain.

cubanstogie
10-29-2009, 10:37 PM
*obvious edited deflection aside....*

so what was it then?

please explain.

why does it matter what labels are used to describe these guys. You could call them anything in the book and it wouldn't be evil enough.

tony hipchest
10-29-2009, 10:50 PM
We will agree to disagree.

You accused me of hate speech. THAT is a serious accusation. Unfortunately, it is a characterization, as I just showed, which can only be attributed to you. Please explain.

you got a mouse in your pocket?

no we wont.

i enjoy a good debate. dont cast stones and then run away.... friend.

:chuckle:

GBMelBlount
10-29-2009, 10:54 PM
Not running away.

You just made a serious accusation of which (as I just proved) you are the only one who is guilty. :drink:

Nice try.

By the way, try to search for examples of the "hate speech" you accused me of, I showed some examples of yours, you will find none from me.

See ya tomorrow, friend.:wave:

tony hipchest
10-29-2009, 10:56 PM
why does it matter what labels are used to describe these guys. You could call them anything in the book and it wouldn't be evil enough.so you automatically assume they were black too?

they may have been. but maybe not.

i, for one, refuse to jump to such conclusions regardless if you say it happened in Richmond.

pardon my ignorance, but i have no idea what the populaion demographic of richmond is.

according to you 90% are "homeboys".

what exactly does that mean?

tony hipchest
10-29-2009, 11:00 PM
Not running away.

You just made a serious accusation of which (as I just proved) you are the only one who is guilty. :drink:

Nice try.

By the way, try to search for examples of the "hate speech" you accused me of, I showed some examples of yours, you will find none from me.

See ya tomorrow, friend.:wave:dont let the doorknob hit you where the good lord split you, as you run away.... "friend". :thumbsup:

:toofunny:

cubanstogie
10-29-2009, 11:10 PM
so you automatically assume they were black too?

i, for one, refuse to jump to such conclusions regardless if you say it happened in Richmond.

pardon my ignorance, but i have no idea what the populaion demographic of richmond is.

Actually the word that was initially used was homey, not homeboy. I never assumed these guys were black. I assumed these losers were gang bangers. Black, white trash, mexican, asians take your pic. I may be naive but homey isn't referring to just blacks. I don't care what color these losers are they should be executed. I think all gang banging losers call their brothers homey , not just blacks.

tony hipchest
10-29-2009, 11:16 PM
Actually the word that was initially used was homey, not homeboy. I never assumed these guys were black. I assumed these losers were gang bangers. Black, white trash, mexican, asians take your pic. I may be naive but homey isn't referring to just blacks. I don't care what color these losers are they should be executed. I think all gang banging losers call their brothers homey , not just blacks.

why does it matter what labels are used to describe these guys. You could call them anything in the book and it wouldn't be evil enough.

= irony.

your words... not mine.

deal with it.

SteelCityMom
10-29-2009, 11:25 PM

Well, using "homey" as a slang to describe a group of guys who "hang" together isn't necessarily a black thing...seeing as how they stole it from the Mexicans and the French anyways! Etymologists generally source its origins to the Spanish word hombre or the French homme, both meaning man. Latino and African vernaculars are strongly derived from Mexican and Cajun/"Creole" words.

Sorry, just bored and stirring the pot here...no bad intent meant whatsoever.

As far as the story goes, I think it's horrible and find it incredibly disturbing that a bunch of people (of which 99% had cell phones I'm sure) stood around and did nothing. How can people be so detached like that? I'd go as far to say they deserve to be in jail as well since they enabled a heinous crime to continue.

X-Terminator
10-30-2009, 12:02 AM
For crying out loud, we have a story here about a high school girl being gang-raped and no one did anything, and we have people arguing over the intent/meaning of the word "homey."

Give me a friggin break.

My prayers are with this girl, and I hope all involved have their nads burned to a crisp before being castrated.

augustashark
10-30-2009, 12:20 AM
For crying out loud, we have a story here about a high school girl being gang-raped and no one did anything, and we have people arguing over the intent/meaning of the word "homey."

Give me a friggin break.

My prayers are with this girl, and I hope all involved have their nads burned to a crisp before being castrated.

Sorry XT, we do not have any arguing here. What we have is a person acting like a douche and trying to flame other posters. From some of the reading I have done on this site it looks like this person is hunting down and trying to flame many people.

Now to the story from the OP, Teen or not, these kids need to do some serious time. I'm not talking juvie time, but hard time. All these kids knew that what they were doing was wrong. Good thing people like you and I did not walk up on something like this because they could have added the word murdered to the story.

steelwalls
10-30-2009, 12:31 AM
"nothing to see here.... move along"

more media agenda? perhaps it was just staged to sell papers. (sarcasm smiley anyone?)

A Girl was rapped man... Imagine 3 or 4 guys rapping you, would you have the same non-chalant, "nothing to see here" attitude?

tony hipchest
10-30-2009, 12:41 AM
Well, using "homey" as a slang to describe a group of guys who "hang" together isn't necessarily a black thing...seeing as how they stole it from the Mexicans and the French anyways! .

but why is it that the black people who are always stereotyped as stealing everything?

i mean they were basically imported to this continent and forced to assimilate. do we lay blame for the lingo they were forced to absorb?

but XT is right. this conversation is is much deeper than the sad story that is really nothing more than a media contrived hype.

tony hipchest
10-30-2009, 12:42 AM
A Girl was rapped man... Imagine 3 or 4 guys rapping you, would you have the same non-chalant, "nothing to see here" attitude?

(sarcasm smiley anyone?)

augustashark
10-30-2009, 12:44 AM
but why is it that the black people who are always stereotyped as stealing everything?

i mean they were basically imported to this continent and forced to assimilate. do we lay blame for the lingo they were forced to absorb?

but XT is right. this conversation is is much deeper than the sad story that is really nothing more than a media contrived hype.

HMMMMMM!!!!

Nothing to see here folks!

GBMelBlount
10-30-2009, 06:00 AM

......My prayers are with this girl.

Thank you for putting things in perspective and getting us "back on track", XT.

...and thank you for posting this Steelboy. I apologize for this going in a direction other than the true spirit of your post.

Vincent
10-30-2009, 06:16 AM
Prisons have "special programs" for rapists. And I think it involves rape. :chuckle:

cubanstogie
10-30-2009, 08:58 AM

trying to stir the pot Tony?ok I will bite. Have you ever looked at the statistics for people in prison. Blacks dominate. Stats don't lie in this case. You have a small percentage of the population that are black, yet they have the largest prison population. Does that mean all blacks are bad, of course not. I am sure you will try to spin the stats or do whatever you whinny as libs do.

revefsreleets
10-30-2009, 09:17 AM

Give me a friggin break.

And someone is also using this as a platform to attack me for completely unrelated topics from another thread. THIS is NOT that...

Kitty Genovese was brutally attacked and stabbed, and ultimately dies from the wounds she suffered. What was worse was that the attacker stabbed her, then drove away, then came back 10 minutes later to finish the job. While she was lying there bleeding to death, her attacker RAPED HER. He stole $49 from her and fled. These attacks occurred over half an hour.In that time as many as THIRTY EIGHT people had an opportunity to assist the victim, and not a single person helped. Someone finally called the police a few minutes after the second attack.

Why do I bring this up? Because it happened in 1964.

It's always been like this. It actually used to be a lot worse.

There is also a name for this kind of behavior from witnesses. It's called "The Bystander Effect".

SteelCityMom
10-30-2009, 09:50 AM

The first part of my post was meant more in a joking sense...that's why I said there was no bad intent meant. I did not post that as a way to say that black people steal everything, and I'm sorry you took it that way. I was just trying to break up the stupid fight over the word homey (which isn't a word exclusively used by blacks).

And no one ever said that when things like this happen it's just media contrived hype, I'm sorry you're still upset about the other thread and missed the whole meaning of what Rev and I were trying to get across, but you need to let it go. It's nothing more than a difference of opinion and doesn't need to be brought up every time something horrible happens.

Steel Mountain
10-30-2009, 05:38 PM
So is Tony Hipchest defending "homeys". "rapists" or just merely "blacks"? I do not care what you call them or who they are, they need corporal punishment...perhaps an eye for an eye. Tony is quite simply a holier than thou pot stirrer.

tony hipchest
11-01-2009, 10:03 PM
And someone is also using this as a platform to attack me for completely unrelated topics from another thread. THIS is NOT that...

just to clarify things...

it was the girl in this article who was attacked.

you most certainly werent. learn the difference.

and if "THIS is NOT that..." perhaps you can find the self control to keep your rhetoric and agenda to yourself.

MasterOfPuppets
11-01-2009, 10:21 PM
sad

Shea
11-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Sad does sum it up. I can somewhat, yet barely understand why people might be intimidated and scared to step in to help her, but what I don't understand is why they couldn't call the police so that they could come and help her. Everyone seems to a have a cell phone these days, would have taken just a second to dial 911. :dang:

Hopefully, she was so drunk that she was unconscious. Won't help much in the long run, but memories can haunt and that's the last thing a fifteen year old girl needs running through her head now and for the rest of her life. I worry for her and am appauled that so many abandoned her that night.

steelwalls
11-01-2009, 10:44 PM

Sorry to get off topic again but Toney have you ever been to another country? In EVERY country that I have EVER been to the American blacks and the African blacks do not get along well at all. Perhaps they were forced to assimilate..... so was every other nation, tribe...ect that was taken by force.

I really do not understand what this has to do with a girl being gang rapped. It is not an issue of race. Homie.... Im white and I call my white friends homie from time to time....am I a racist for that....that is rediculous to even debate. The focus here should be on the girl and the animals who did such a horrible thing. ...... Oh I said animals sorry......:noidea:

T.Richardson
11-01-2009, 10:45 PM

Kitty Genovese was brutally attacked and stabbed, and ultimately dies from the wounds she suffered. What was worse was that the attacker stabbed her, then drove away, then came back 10 minutes later to finish the job. While she was lying there bleeding to death, her attacker RAPED HER. He stole $49 from her and fled. These attacks occurred over half an hour.In that time as many as THIRTY EIGHT people had an opportunity to assist the victim, and not a single person helped. Someone finally called the police a few minutes after the second attack.

Why do I bring this up? Because it happened in 1964.

It's always been like this. It actually used to be a lot worse.

There is also a name for this kind of behavior from witnesses. It's called "The Bystander Effect".

Odd that you bring this up. In Highschool, I took a AP Psychology class, and we discuessed this event. and yea, it could be related to the bystander effect, where people would assume that someone has already contacted the police, in reality, no one has.

tony hipchest
11-01-2009, 11:05 PM
Sorry to get off topic again but Toney have you ever been to another country? :yeah, ive been to another country (if you actually consider canada and mexico other countries) and from what ive observed they make the same racist steroeotypes that many of us here do.

anyways, no problem for getting off topic again. :drink:

revefsreleets
11-02-2009, 08:27 AM
have no [irrational] fear parents! according to m. chricton, evens, and a local cop who went on to work with the fbi only to return and teach at a college, this stuff happened much more in the past and we just didnt hear about it.

kids attend tens of thousands of dances and other social events every year, and only a few hundred (or unreported thousands) of rapes like this occur. odds say your children are safe. dont be ignorant.

the media...

only reports this to...

because they want to.....

to push the agenda of....

so it will serve their purpose of....

:huh: :hunch:

(sarcasm smiley anyone?)

if these crimes have indeed decreased in the past 50 years, i guess we can thank the media for public awareness that cause parents to be more cautious and take preventative measures. :thumbsup:

then again, back in the "good ol days", a crime like this would be looked at as a case of "boys being boys" and havin a little fun with a girl who wanted and deserved what she got, anyways.

its a shame, but i expect the typical "she was wearing a short skirt", blame the victim defense in this case.

Self control? THIS wasn't directed at me?

Do you understand what the word hypocrisy means?

You sad little pathetic man-boy. You get repeatedly slapped down because you don't know what the eff you're talking about, you continually attempt to project your failure and ignorance onto me get caught over and over again in these sad little lame transparent attempts, have these little self-pitying public bouts of whining about it, then tell ME to practice some self-control?

Grow up.

steelreserve
11-02-2009, 02:56 PM

As one who lives pretty close to Richmond, I have to say it's not off base at all to assume the worst about that city or anyone from it. Richmond is the most unbelievable shithole this side of the Rocky Mountains -- and yes, that's counting Compton and South Central L.A., which I've also had the misfortune of visiting a number of times. Richmond is more dangerous than both of them. I and most people I know won't go there, period.

As for the demographics, it's mostly black and Mexican, but that's not really the part that matters. More like 50% Angry Black, 45% Angry Mexican and 5% Angry White.

When I covered high school football in the area, the Richmond school in the league (a different one from the one where this attack happened) didn't have lights at their field because, I was told, you'd better get your ass out of there before dark anyway unless you had shit for brains, so lights were no use. They actually played the JV games in front of empty stands while school was still going on, and started the varsity game at about 2:00 p.m. so it'd be done by 4:00, and they had police cars parked in plain view behind both end zones. The place easily takes the cake out of any ghetto I've ever been to; the only thing that even came close was the Crack District in New Orleans, which I believe they call the 6th Ward.

So no, it's not inaccurate at all to say the city is mostly "homeys." The place is packed full of gangs and general shitheads, and just f***ing dangerous. I've never used the "N-Word" in anything like its originally intended form, but if it can fairly be used to describe anyone, THAT'S who, and I have no qualms saying so.

Godfather
11-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Crack District in New Orleans, which I believe they call the 6th Ward.

Where are you thinking of? I lived in NOLA for 12 years and I had to google the 6th Ward. It includes part of the French Quarter. Maybe you're thinking the 9th Ward, which is the only neighborhood generally called by the ward number (gangsters sometimes identify with other wards but there's no general usage for the others). Or the 6th District (police district) which is the worst.

Do you remember any street names or landmarks? Bad neighborhood in NOLA isn't very specific. :chuckle:

steelreserve
11-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Where are you thinking of? I lived in NOLA for 12 years and I had to google the 6th Ward. It includes part of the French Quarter. Maybe you're thinking the 9th Ward, which is the only neighborhood generally called by the ward number (gangsters sometimes identify with other wards but there's no general usage for the others). Or the 6th District (police district) which is the worst.

Do you remember any street names or landmarks? Bad neighborhood in NOLA isn't very specific. :chuckle:

The 6th district -- that's what they said! And by "they," I mean the police, when we were talking to them after we hauled ass out of there after getting chased by some kind of gangbangers or crackheads for several blocks. Whatever it was, it was on the opposite side of downtown from the French Quarter. I think it might have been on the opposite side of Highway 90.

What were we doing there, you ask? Nothing more than getting on the streetcar going in the wrong direction after leaving downtown. It took about five minutes to realize, "wow, this is going from bad to worse in a hurry. Do we really want to stay on this thing until it gets where it's going, or should we just jump off now and haul ass back the way we came?" Maybe we should've stayed on the streetcar, I don't know. Maybe not. But yeah, within a block or two, we got confronted by some angry street posse, and they even threw a cement block at us, even though it didn't seem like they were really trying to hit us. They even had a crackhead on a ghettobike pedaling these big wide circles around us the whole time. AWESOME place.

GBMelBlount
11-02-2009, 09:58 PM
yeah, ive been to another country (if you actually consider canada and mexico other countries) and from what ive observed they make the same racist steroeotypes that many of us here do.

Is it "Racist Stereotyping" to make assumptions, whether actually right or wrong, based on probabilities?

steelwalls
11-02-2009, 10:46 PM
yeah, ive been to another country (if you actually consider canada and mexico other countries) and from what ive observed they make the same racist steroeotypes that many of us here do.

Actually (without sarcasim I do not) as these 2 countries (perhaps canada maybe) do not have african americans and native africans interacting on any sort of measurable scale.

Case in point... My best friend here in China is an african american....he will not hang out with me if I am with my african friends as they treat him like proverbial shyte..... I do not know why the anomosity is there, but it does exist...believe me I have seen it many many times in my travels.

Again sorry to be off topic.

tony hipchest
11-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Is it "Racist Stereotyping" to make assumptions, whether actually right or wrong, based on probabilities?"racial stereotypes" are racial stereotypes.

it is what it is.

you tell me if they are right or wrong, mr. expert. :coffee:

Actually (without sarcasim I do not) as these 2 countries (perhaps canada maybe) do not have african americans and native africans interacting on any sort of measurable scale.

Case in point... My best friend here in China is an african american....he will not hang out with me if I am with my african friends as they treat him like proverbial shyte..... I do not know why the anomosity is there, but it does exist...believe me I have seen it many many times in my travels.

Again sorry to be off topic. well i certainly cant speak for china, and i have no idea what the anymosity is there either.

i guess its kinda like how white neo-nazis in america hate white jews in america (or anywhere else in the world). :hunch:

stlrtruck
11-03-2009, 07:13 AM

It's the same in Japan. Or at least it was when I was there for 3 months. In Tokyo there were two bars around the corner from each other. One was called "American Bar" and I don't recall the second one. But the "American Bar" was for Japanese and White Americans. A black guy walked in once and he got the evil eye from every Japenese person in there. He had 2 drinks with us and walked out. He was a good man, spoke intelligently on many issues, but it was his skin color that proved to be the discerning factor.

Around the corner at the other bar, it was for Japanese and Black Americans. Just walking by we got the evil eye from all the Japanese standing in line at the door.

For as racist as this country still is, there are countries that are by far worse than us.

GBMelBlount
11-03-2009, 07:33 AM
tony hipchest

racial stereotypes" are racial stereotypes.

it is what it is.

It's a simple assumption based on the article (and statistics)

So although I could be wrong, I'm probably right.

So if that is "racial stereotyping", then so be it.

I understand your desire to spin things & paint everyone as racist so it makes you feel better being a democrat, rather than being one for reasons that make sense.

For instance, and I don't mean to embarrass you again, but this reminds of your voting for Obama for the most important job on this earth, not because of a single qualification, but because you were "confident he would surround himself with good people."

Do you realize that is possibly the least intelligent comment in the history of this board?......(and that's saying a lot! :chuckle:)

In fact, it shows that YOU may be the one who is prejudice my friend. :coffee:

My observation is a statement simply based on facts & figures, nothing more..........yours.....on "feelings". :thumbsup:

steelreserve
11-03-2009, 11:28 AM
"racial stereotypes" are racial stereotypes.

it is what it is.

Categorizing gangbanging idiot street thugs does not count as "racial stereotyping."

Fact is, Richmond, CA, is a DANGEROUS place full of gangs and violent shitheads who will beat you, rape you, rob you, or kill you for no reason at all. The fact that most of those shitheads are black or Mexican does not somehow exempt them from criticism. If you went to those people with an attitude of equality and open-mindedness, the best you'd get in return is a big "f*** you."

So no, I don't think any of the people doing the "stereotyping" in this thread are misguided at all. All they're doing is clocking the attackers in this case for what they are: A bunch of loser 'hood rats with throwaway lives that are about a dime a dozen around these parts. If that's somehow offensive to someone, sorry, but their political correctness has gone way over the line.

revefsreleets
11-03-2009, 11:58 AM
It's the same in Japan. Or at least it was when I was there for 3 months. In Tokyo there were two bars around the corner from each other. One was called "American Bar" and I don't recall the second one. But the "American Bar" was for Japanese and White Americans. A black guy walked in once and he got the evil eye from every Japenese person in there. He had 2 drinks with us and walked out. He was a good man, spoke intelligently on many issues, but it was his skin color that proved to be the discerning factor.

Around the corner at the other bar, it was for Japanese and Black Americans. Just walking by we got the evil eye from all the Japanese standing in line at the door.

For as racist as this country still is, there are countries that are by far worse than us.

The US is a model for assimilation. But there are 305 million people here, so obviously there will be some blatant racists. OVERALL, however, the US is probably the LEAST racist country in the World.

This comes back to why we have a relatively large Muslim population (Probably between 5 and 8 million) yet we are not cranking out radicalized homegrown Muslim terrorists. By way of comparison, France has about as many Muslim in their population and they have SCADS of terrorist problems. I've read guesstimates that their are as many as 35,000 radicalized Muslims in France who could act at any time in concerted terrorist attacks.

The bottom line is simply that there will always be racial tensions in the US, but, by and large, we are as good as it gets.

Furthermore, like the above posts stated, there are countries where it's actually ingrained in the culture to be blatantly and overtly racist. China and Japan come to mind, but think about the Indian Caste system as well...

The US is light years ahead of these countries....still, it is part of the liberal agenda to constantly and repeatedly harp on all the racial inequality in this country. It's much more important to highlight the tiny minority than to stress the great gains the vast majority have made.

revefsreleets
12-04-2009, 03:49 PM
I recall being RIPPED up for stating that while we are actually FAR safer now than ever before, parents are more paranoid than ever.

Time. This month. Rip me up if you like, but why not direct your misguided anger at the major pop media outlet who publishes millions of monthly mags instead?

http://img.timeinc.net/time/daily/2009/0911/whelicopter_1130.jpg

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1940395-1,00.html

Some excerpts...

From peace and prosperity, there arose fear and anxiety; crime went down, yet parents stopped letting kids out of their sight; the percentage of kids walking or biking to school dropped from 41% in 1969 to 13% in 2001. Death by injury has dropped more than 50% since 1980, yet parents lobbied to take the jungle gyms out of playgrounds, and strollers suddenly needed the warning label "Remove Child Before Folding." Among 6-to-8-year-olds, free playtime dropped 25% from 1981 to '97, and homework more than doubled.

That advice may seem perfectly sensible to parents bombarded by heartbreaking news stories about missing little girls and the predator next door. But too many parents, says Skenazy, have the math all wrong. Refusing to vaccinate your children, as millions now threaten to do in the case of the swine flu, is statistically reckless; on the other hand, there are no reports of a child ever being poisoned by a stranger handing out tainted Halloween candy, and the odds of being kidnapped and killed by a stranger are about 1 in 1.5 million. When parents confront you with "How can you let him go to the store alone?," she suggests countering with "How can you let him visit your relatives?" (Some 80% of kids who are molested are victims of friends or relatives.) Or ride in the car with you? (More than 430,000 kids were injured in motor vehicles last year.) "I'm not saying that there is no danger in the world or that we shouldn't be prepared," she says. "But there is good and bad luck and fate and things beyond our ability to change. The way kids learn to be resourceful is by having to use their resources." Besides, she says with a smile, "a 100%-safe world is not only impossible. It's nowhere you'd want to be."

Other studies reinforce the importance of play as an essential protein in a child's emotional diet; were it not, argue some scientists, it would not have persisted across species and millenniums, perhaps as a way to practice for adulthood, to build leadership, sociability, flexibility, resilience — even as a means of literally shaping the brain and its pathways. Dr. Stuart Brown, a psychiatrist and the founder of the National Institute for Play — who has a treehouse above his office — recalls in a recent book how managers at Caltech's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) noticed the younger engineers lacked problem-solving skills, though they had top grades and test scores. Realizing the older engineers had more play experience as kids — they'd taken apart clocks, built stereos, made models — JPL eventually incorporated questions about job applicants' play backgrounds into interviews. "If you look at what produces learning and memory and well-being" in life, Brown has argued, "play is as fundamental as any other aspect.'' The American Academy of Pediatrics warns that the decrease in free playtime could carry health risks: "For some children, this hurried lifestyle is a source of stress and anxiety and may even contribute to depression." Not to mention the epidemic of childhood obesity in a generation of kids who never just go out and play.

SteelCityMom
12-04-2009, 04:29 PM
I recall being RIPPED up for stating that while we are actually FAR safer now than ever before, parents are more paranoid than ever.

Time. This month. Rip me up if you like, but why not direct your misguided anger at the major pop media outlet who publishes millions of monthly mags instead?

http://img.timeinc.net/time/daily/2009/0911/whelicopter_1130.jpg

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1940395-1,00.html

Some excerpts...

From peace and prosperity, there arose fear and anxiety; crime went down, yet parents stopped letting kids out of their sight; the percentage of kids walking or biking to school dropped from 41% in 1969 to 13% in 2001. Death by injury has dropped more than 50% since 1980, yet parents lobbied to take the jungle gyms out of playgrounds, and strollers suddenly needed the warning label "Remove Child Before Folding." Among 6-to-8-year-olds, free playtime dropped 25% from 1981 to '97, and homework more than doubled.

That advice may seem perfectly sensible to parents bombarded by heartbreaking news stories about missing little girls and the predator next door. But too many parents, says Skenazy, have the math all wrong. Refusing to vaccinate your children, as millions now threaten to do in the case of the swine flu, is statistically reckless; on the other hand, there are no reports of a child ever being poisoned by a stranger handing out tainted Halloween candy, and the odds of being kidnapped and killed by a stranger are about 1 in 1.5 million. When parents confront you with "How can you let him go to the store alone?," she suggests countering with "How can you let him visit your relatives?" (Some 80% of kids who are molested are victims of friends or relatives.) Or ride in the car with you? (More than 430,000 kids were injured in motor vehicles last year.) "I'm not saying that there is no danger in the world or that we shouldn't be prepared," she says. "But there is good and bad luck and fate and things beyond our ability to change. The way kids learn to be resourceful is by having to use their resources." Besides, she says with a smile, "a 100%-safe world is not only impossible. It's nowhere you'd want to be."

Other studies reinforce the importance of play as an essential protein in a child's emotional diet; were it not, argue some scientists, it would not have persisted across species and millenniums, perhaps as a way to practice for adulthood, to build leadership, sociability, flexibility, resilience — even as a means of literally shaping the brain and its pathways. Dr. Stuart Brown, a psychiatrist and the founder of the National Institute for Play — who has a treehouse above his office — recalls in a recent book how managers at Caltech's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) noticed the younger engineers lacked problem-solving skills, though they had top grades and test scores. Realizing the older engineers had more play experience as kids — they'd taken apart clocks, built stereos, made models — JPL eventually incorporated questions about job applicants' play backgrounds into interviews. "If you look at what produces learning and memory and well-being" in life, Brown has argued, "play is as fundamental as any other aspect.'' The American Academy of Pediatrics warns that the decrease in free playtime could carry health risks: "For some children, this hurried lifestyle is a source of stress and anxiety and may even contribute to depression." Not to mention the epidemic of childhood obesity in a generation of kids who never just go out and play.

Great article Revs, and very spot on. Not surprised to see Lenore Skenazy's name in there (Izzy Skenazy's...greatest name ever...mom). First heard about her on Penn and Tellers show. Here's a great article about her book "Free Range Kids".

http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2009/05/04/free_range_kids/

Here's her and her son on the Today Show.

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/a-9-year-old-s-subway-ride/6v382lk

This topic certainly will get torn to shreds again, and I understand why...fear does that to people.

revefsreleets
12-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Well, some fear is good. Fearless children would leap off of cliffs...

SteelCityMom
12-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Well, some fear is good. Fearless children would leap off of cliffs...

Lol, you know what I meant.