PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Steelers memory?

theplatypus
10-30-2009, 05:51 PM
For me it was winning a 6 Cent bet with my dad over Superbowl X. That was the price of a chocolate milk at my school. By the time XIV came around we were wagering for ice cream sandwiches. :tt02:

BlastFurnace
10-30-2009, 07:11 PM
Meeting Joe Greene at the Dallas/Fort Worth Airport was my favorite moment.

If your asking for an on-field event....Watching the Steelers beat the Cowboys in 2004 at Texas Stadium. I was there and the stadium was atleast 40% Steelers fans. It was incredible.

devilsdancefloor
10-30-2009, 07:20 PM
I have 3 to be honest. the day my youngest daughter then son and my other son looked at me and said dad i want a terrible towel i wanna be a steelers fan.That tops all the games and the plays hands down.My wife and eldest daughter are cryboys fans so it is really special they came to me and wanted to be fans of the team i have rooted for basically all my life. :tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04:

steelwalls
10-30-2009, 07:33 PM
Watching Harrison run that pick back...awesome...I was going nutts....

SteelC7
10-30-2009, 07:45 PM
the comeback win in jax just last year, that team has beat us so much lately, and for ben and hines to step up like that was awesome, and it was one of our 1st comebacks of many last year. theres alot of other moments that were great to watch for me, im 21 and have seen everything since the early 90's, but thats the most recent of my favorite memories, well all of our comebacks last year were great, but that was my favorite (besides the SB)

HometownGal
10-30-2009, 07:52 PM
Dating Bubby in the very early 90's. :thumbsup:

I have so many great Steelers memories that it's hard to pick just one but out of all of them, I'd have to pick being at TRS with my late Dad on December 23, 1972 and personally witnessing the Immaculate Reception! :tt02: :banana:

Vincent
10-30-2009, 07:58 PM
There are so many. But one of my favorites was what SI billed as SB XIII1/2. At TRS - Oct 28, 1979. The one when LC concussed Roger out of the game. My Grandfather was appalled. "Nobody should be that violent". The SI cover had about 20 Steelers folding, spindling and mutilating one of the cowpie receivers. Inside was the story line "Nobody had seen the monster (referring to our D) for some time. But then...". The Steelers were just freekin scary. And I watched it with my two brothers who are rabid cowpie fans. They were apoplectic. Good times. Good times.

devilsdancefloor
10-30-2009, 08:04 PM

I have so many great Steelers memories that it's hard to pick just one but out of all of them, I'd have to pick being at TRS with my late Dad on December 23, 1972 and personally witnessing the Immaculate Reception! :tt02: :banana:

not bubba blister! a sucker for a man with a southern accent....:chuckle:

Vis
10-30-2009, 08:14 PM
My grandfather's SB IX party. I was hooked.

BlastFurnace
10-30-2009, 08:24 PM

No kidding! You dated Bubby! That's pretty cool. Did you meet any of the other Steelers?

NV STEELERS 723
10-30-2009, 08:27 PM
meeting Franco, Rocky, Dermonti Dawson, Joey Porter, and Fast Willie Parker at my job... all of them were super nice and very personable !

*Santonios catch ranks right up there though !!!

LVSteelersfan
10-30-2009, 09:39 PM
A good friend of my wife's used to date Franco Harris many years ago. Her husband is a huge fan of the Steelers, Penguins and Pirates. He grew up in the area.

My favorite was definitely the Immaculate Reception. I did not see it personally, but got to see it live on television. That was the most amazing thing I had seen. I think I was in my last year of high school. Too bad we didn't win the Super Bowl that year but beating the Raiders was priceless. I hate that team.

HometownGal
10-31-2009, 06:24 AM
No kidding! You dated Bubby! That's pretty cool. Did you meet any of the other Steelers?

Absolutely! He hung out with Merrill Hoge and Neil O'Donnell a lot (even though he wouldn't "mop" up for him - LOL!) and after games, we'd hang out with a lot of different guys on the team. Walt was a lot of fun and not the pompous dolt a lot of people thought he was. :thumbsup:

Rick5895
10-31-2009, 08:34 AM
Lambert dropping Cliff Harris on his head in Super Bowl X after Harris slapped Gerela

AllD
10-31-2009, 12:18 PM
1. Lynn Swann pointing up into the sky signifying that the Steelers won the Super Bowl and were still #1.
2. James Harrison's 100 yard record setting Immaculate Interception at last year's Super Bowl.
3. Franco's Immaculate Reception.
4. Holmes' winning TD in last year's Super Bowl.
5. The Llmarr Woodley and Keyaran Fox turnovers and TDs in last week's game against the Vikings.
6. Willie Parker's Super Bowl record TD against the Seahawks in XL.

steelergirl07
10-31-2009, 01:20 PM
I'm to young to have seen any of the 70's games, so i'd have to say my favorite moment would be Big Ben tripping Ben Harper in the Steelers-Colts game during the 05 Super Bowl run. I think that whole game was one to remember. From the bogus call that took away Polamalu's INT, to the Bus fumbling, Ben making the tackle, then Vanderjagt missing the field goal. Crazy.

MasterOfPuppets
10-31-2009, 01:31 PM
kordell stewart being cut...:coffee:

stb_steeler
10-31-2009, 01:47 PM
Wow theres so many. For those of us that seen the 4 SB of the 70's there were tons of memories but one of my biggest is when we burned Bungholes with Randle Els reverse back to Ben for the TD in 05 playoffs. Then Tunch says: Thats what you call goin for the jugular.:applaudit:

SteelerFanStuckInBaltimor
10-31-2009, 01:58 PM
Noting my name, it had to have been the Championship Game this past year - my Ravens' friends are still hanging their heads! Three wins vs. the Rats in one season... How sweet it is.

But, personally, it would have been this past January 26th... I was getting on a flight out of Tampa, after working there for a week. As I was getting on the plane, I heard security guards around us talking, that Mr. Tomlin and Mr. Roethlisberger had their own security. The Steelers' plane landed just as we were leaving the gate, and arrived at the gate next to mine. If we'd left 20 minutes later, I could have personally greeted the entire team, as they arrived at Tampa airport!

I seriously considered skipping my flight... In retrospect, I should have.

Steelboy84
10-31-2009, 02:25 PM
February 5, 2006.

After years of watching Dallas win so much and my uncle throwing it in my face, then losing to them in the SB in Jan. 1996, then going through the Kordell Stewart project, then that three year slump between 1998-2001, then the "pass all day, can't run, no pass defense era" lead by Tommy Maddox, watching the Steelers win the SB for the first time in my life celebrating with my cousin (cause he suffered right along with me) and being able to turn around, look my uncle in the eye and say "its our time". My head was so big that night you couldn't tell me anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03:

Steelboy84
10-31-2009, 02:27 PM
For me it was winning a 6 Cent bet with my dad over Superbowl X. That was the price of a chocolate milk at my school. By the time XIV came around we were wagering for ice cream sandwiches. :tt02:

Great story!!!!!!!!!!

4xSBChamps
11-01-2009, 04:17 AM
Lambert dropping Cliff Harris on his head in Super Bowl X after Harris slapped Gerela

over the next few years, I was lucky-enough to meet a few of the Steelers on that team, and they said that Lambert was extremely wound-up at half-time of that game, and his play during the 2nd half was proof-positive:
besides being the better team, that play is possibly why 'em Stillers had little problems with the Cryboys over the next 10 seasons

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/LambertSuperBowlX.jpg

Galax Steeler
11-01-2009, 06:00 AM
I'm to young to have seen any of the 70's games, so i'd have to say my favorite moment would be Big Ben tripping Ben Harper in the Steelers-Colts game during the 05 Super Bowl run. I think that whole game was one to remember. From the bogus call that took away Polamalu's INT, to the Bus fumbling, Ben making the tackle, then Vanderjagt missing the field goal. Crazy.

I have to say that was mine as well I think I lost about 5 years off of my life in that game. From the fumble of bettis to the tackle of Harper by Ben. That game is one that I don't ever won't to see happen again.

Texasteel
11-01-2009, 06:17 AM

I thought that Cliff Harris was the MVP of that game. The Steelers were a completely different team after that.

steel striker
11-01-2009, 07:39 AM

That is my favorite steeler game because, most people did not even give us a chance in that game. I was over a friends house having a steeler party and, right after Joey Porter sacked Manning just about everyone went to get more beer and food I watched that Bus fumble and was yelling and screaming NO NO. That got everyone's attention and, it was an unreal finish. My wife knew that Vanderjagt was going to miss that fg. Once Greg Gumble said he is the most accurate kicker in nfl history. lol Made us think of Neil Odonnell! lol

TheWarDen86
11-01-2009, 07:48 AM
My first game at Heinz Field in 2002 (Week 17? against the Ravens) when they played Renegade to start the second half. Been back several times since, but nothing can top that first time.

Note: I also went to the Giants/Eagles game the day before. Had breakfast with Angie Harmon, met Harry Carson and Shaun Williams gave me both his gloves after the game (he picked off the ball that won them the game). I kept one and gave the other to a kid sitting near me.

madtowndrunkard
11-01-2009, 09:56 AM
1978 - Staring up at Mike Webster standing in my kitchen. I was 6 years old. I've been a Steelers fan ever since. I'm now 36 - I have 4 kids and they all love the Steelers.

Thanks Mike

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Lots of individual plays...great games..exciting players.

But the best Steelers memory for me was just after the 2002 playoff loss to the Titans.
We had a family "get together" so I had to listen to the last part of the game on the radio while driving. My 8 year old son was in the back seat with his sister. The Titans kicked a field goal to send the game into overtime at 31-31.. The Titans actually missed the 31-yard winning field goal in overtime and we should have gotten the ball, but a BS running into the kicker penalty by Dewayne Washington gave Tennessee 5 yards and another shot. Joe Nedney connected on a short 26-yarder and the Titans advanced.
I turned around to my son and saw that he had tears in his eyes...he looked at me and in his most sincere voice he said..."But dad, the Steelers CAN'T lose...they just CAN'T."

THAT DAY....I knew I had a die hard...bleed Black & Gold...Steeler Fan for a son.

Since then I have shared alot of games and memories with him, but I will always remember an eight year olds faith in his Steelers and the day I knew my son loved the team of my youth.

4xSBChamps
11-01-2009, 11:13 AM
..... this thread is bringing back lotsa memories to this old fart

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/1968_Steelers_Poster.jpg

I turned 10 a few weeks before Chuck Noll coached his 1st game for 'em Stillers, and I remember the last few years of the Austin regime:
my Dad had a hard-time relating to his kids, but he 'tried' to explain life-lessons through football (which he oddly forbid me to play), and I recall him telling me in 1969, during the 13 game winning streak,
"..... this is a bad football team..... it'll take a long-time before they become good, but this coach is doing OK with what he has....."

early in the '71 season (musta been early, because I remember lying on my bed. listening to the game on the radio {before home games were shown on TV} with my bedroom windows open, a huge Pittsburgh Steeler poster on my wall, like the one that was on the 'original' scoreboard at TRS, see-above), and San Diego came to town (early afternoon game, so it musta been here), and 'em Stillers won a hard-fought 21-17 game, and it seemed the defense was making goal-line stands, or stuffing the Chargers offense (John Hald, Mike Garrett, Pettis Norman) the entire 4th quarter:
when the game ended, my dad, who'd been listening to the game on his radio while watching the out-of-town games on CBS & NBC, burst through my bedroom door, exclaimed
".....PAY-ATTENTION..... they're starting to turn the corner....."
and walked away.

The next week, this was the cover of SI when it was delivered to our door
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/JoeGreene1971vsChargers.jpg

and the next year, when that became a poster (back-when you could only find them at Sears or JCPenney's, IF you could find 'em anywhere), I got it for Christmas, which hung on my wall for many years.

In '78, 'em Stillers closed the regular season at Denver, and took a commanding 21-0 lead into the 2nd half against the defending '77 AFC Champions:
'em Stillers had nothing to play-for that day, having already clinched the #1 seed at 13-2 (I recall 1978 as being the first year of home-field based-on seeding), and I believe it'd already been decided that 'em Stillers would host Denver in the Divisional round of the playoffs, so Noll rested many of the players in the 2nd half

Denver scored a TD in the 3rd quarter, then added a FG and another quick TD as the clock wound-down, and got the ball-back with seconds left, then got the ball on the one-yard line with time for just a few plays:
White, Ham, Shell, and the rest of the starters jumped-off the bench, strapped-on the helmets, and ran onto the field, and threw-back the Broncos final assault as time expired.....

the game meant absolutely nothing, but 'em Stillers' pride wasn't gonna let Denver gain any meaningful momento heading into the playoffs, and 2 weeks later, 'em Stillers smashed the Broncos 33-10 (a beating much-worse than the score would indicate) while warming-up for the Houston Earlers, awaiting them for the AFC Championship

T.Richardson
11-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Tommy Maddonx leading the Steelers to a comeback win against the Browns in the 02 playoffs..

SteelersMongol
11-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Watching the Steelers jump 4 joy after the Colt's Vanderjagt missed the fieldgoal.

4xSBChamps
11-01-2009, 07:26 PM
Watching the Steelers jump 4 joy after the Colt's Vanderjagt missed the fieldgoal.

Lambert ran into the endzone following Swann catching what turned-out to be the game-winning 64-yard TD in January 1976 at the Orange Bowl

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/SwannLambertSBX.jpg

note Webster & Moon running down-field to greet Swann, and Andy Russell (probably blocking for the PAT?) is getting-in on the action, too

steelerchad
11-01-2009, 07:45 PM
I've got a few probably.

Watching on TV, I'd have to say the Bus trampling Urlacher on his way to a TD that started our run in 05.
Then, the divisional playoff against the Colts when our D was all over Manning the whole game and Ben making that shoe string tackle to save the game.

In person, I'd say the AFCC game last year when Troy had the pick 6 to seal it.
Bobby Shaw's 90 yard TD from Kordell in Baltimore (2002, I believe). 3rd and 10 from their own 10 late in the game.
Santonio's catch at the goal line overturned by instant replay for a TD in Baltimore. last year. Their fans were in disbelief as Ben marched us down the field, then to win it at the very end like that was sweet.

Mags87
11-01-2009, 10:04 PM
i have to say Troy's pick 6 in the AFC championship last season to seal the deal. It was in Heinz and everyone knew exactly what that pick 6 meant. i was jumping up and down, swinging my terrible towel and running around in circles in my front room. nothing like seeing one of your favorite players make such a big play in such a huge game vs the biggest rivals you have.

iloveben7
11-01-2009, 11:59 PM
Wow I've had so many amazing Steelers memories! But I have to go with this one as my favorite because it was the start of me becoming a die hard fan. On April 24, 2004 my dad was watching the news and they were showing clips of our #1 draft pick-Ben Roethlisberger in high school and college and I was like wow this kid's amazing. I had only watched like 3 Steeler games before that and barely knew anything about football. I've been hooked ever since and am probably the biggest Steeler fan that I know. Other memories that top my list:
-seeing the Steelers win their 5th Superbowl-the 1st victory I witnessed
-my first Steeler game-against the Dolphins in 06
-the AFC Championship game this past season. It was so amazing to be there in person
-meeting all the players that i have met
-Superbowl XLIII-that entire game was amazing

XxKnightxX
11-02-2009, 12:37 AM
Tv wise, too many to name. But overall my best was the steelers Cowboys game last season. On Saturday I worked a 16 hr shift from 3 30pm to 7 30am Sunday, and then drove by mysekf to pittsburgh after that. To be there in such miserable and cold weather and to see the cowboys get their season trampled by us. The renegade song, the pick 6, and the earthquake that erputed in the stands afterwards. I knew it after that game that we would make it all the way to the super bowl. And we did

solardave
11-02-2009, 03:33 AM
I'd have to say being at last years AFC championship game with my oldest brother when Troy picked that one and ran it back. I thought the stadium was going to collapse from all the people going nuts.I never saw so many grown men hugging. It's worth saying that I could count the Ravens fans I saw on one hand.
Second would be when Greg Loyd was playing for us early in his career I was living in Tampa and went to the Steelers/Bucs game.There werre so many Steelers fans that at one point we had them backed up to their own endzone. Testaverde had to call a time out because they couldn't hear. The noise started when Loyd waved his arms and all the Steeler fans got real loud.this Bucs fan looks at me and says "how embarrassing is this?"

memphissteelergirl
11-02-2009, 07:56 AM
Sheesh...how much time have ya got? I kid...:chuckle:

Well...there are many but Iet me just keep it to the more recent ones...

Of course, the amazing '05 playoff run and SB XL win and seeing Bussie get to go out on top! :tt04:

Actually getting to see some of the Steelers up close and personal when they made a stop thru Memphis! :tt02:

Getting to see some Cryboys fans' humiliated after their defeat at the hands of the Black and Gold last season :applaudit:

And last but least...Santo's amazing catch in SB XLIII