PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Tomlin; "We must fix special teams problems."

mesaSteeler
11-01-2009, 08:40 AM
Steelers Tomlin; "We must fix special teams problems."
November 1, 6:31 AMPittsburgh Sports ExaminerMatt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m11d1-Steelers-Tomlin-We-must-fix-special-teams-problems#

The bye week nearly over, means one more day for Steeler players to enjoy families or just the reprieve from the daily grind and toll on their bodies.

But hey can they really complain? The team entered the week with a four game win streak, and for the first time since the dawn of free-agency, an entire week of rest.

"It's some much needed rest for us and then weíre going to prepare for Denver," Steeler coach Mike Tomlin said. "We understand as much as we continue to win our position canít be any worse. I tend not to watch the standings when we win, only when we lose."

The Broncos are the surprise team in the NFL at this juncture sporting a 6-0 slate, and face the Baltimore Ravens this afternoon. They boast the NFL's top ranked defense allowing just 68 points through the first six games and have a plus seven turnover ratio when it comes to offense.

Pittsburgh started the season with high hopes, but sputterd out of the gate to a 1-2 start. They have now quietly won four consecutive and seem to be playing with a chip on their shoulders.

"I hope so," Tomlin said of having a chip on their backs. " Whatever allows us to prepare with an edge. Iím not concerned about their play, I know theyíre going to play with an edge, itís more importantly that we prepare with an edge. I think weíve been doing that, no minor criticisms. If that motivates us, great."

The offensive line seems to have one, and after being basked earlier in the year have gelled into one of the premier in the NFL. The run game is a different story, although Rashard Mendenhall has shown promise, but has fumbled in red zone situations the past two weeks.

Meaning the Broncos and opposing defenses may see Mewelde Moore utilized more often when it comes to those situations.

"Heís closed games for us in the past, we feel comfortable with the ball in his hands and the things heís capable of doing," Tomlin said. "Not only as a runner, but with some of the blitz pickup things that you might see under those circumstances and of course getting him out in pass routes, so itís multiple reasons for that."

If there has been a sore spot for the Steelers thus far other than situational football, it comes via the special teams play. In back-to-back weeks the team allowed kick returns for touchdowns. Against the Browns, it was Josh Cribbs and Percy Harvin did it for the Vikings.

As to how he plans on doing this?

"I donít know, but we better fix it and fix it in a hurry," Tomlin said. " I accept the responsibility for that, Iím going to get it fixed, whether itís schematics, people or both.""

NORTH NUGGETS: WORST TEAM OF THE DECADE?

Just how bad has it gotten for the rivals up north, the Cleveland Browns? Apparently so bad, that fans are planning a boycott of the first quarter of the Monday night game next week against the Ravens.

Could you imagine Steeler fans ever doing this at Heinz Field? Didn't think so. While radio hosts such have been disgusted by the continual losing seasons and WKNR's Tony Rizzo are demanding a new ownership group and coach, beat writers have been more cautious in their words.

My friend Steve Doerschuk of the Canton Repository was one of the few to take a shot, in a non-chalant way. Last week he posted a story epitomizing the Browns. not only this year but last. It was titled Browns spared worst team of decade status

"The Browns should send the Lions a thank-you card. Amid a 1-12 cold snap dating to last season ó the worst slump in franchise history ó the Browns have been spared the ignominy of ďworst team of the decadeĒ status." Doerschuk said.

BENGALS OCHO EVERYWHERE

He's one of thre more vocal players in the league, and during his bye week unlike Steeler players who did some rnr, Och was everywhere from Letterman to ESPN.

He also had a top ten list, with Revelations of Ocho's autobiography. For those who missed it, here it is.

10. This book is all about my life as a hockey mom from Alaska.
9. I was once put on the disabled list when they found an ocho in my cinco.
8. During the season my QB Carson Palmer and I sleep in bunk beds.
7. Iím going to ask Tom Hanks to play me in the movie.
6. Thereís nothing like winding down after a big game with a Red Bull and a DVR of ďTyra.Ē
5. I like tacos.
4. Brett Favre is so old, his Social Security Number is 1.
3. Terrell Owens doesnít like it when you criticize his teammate.
2. Iím planning a special touchdown celebration that involves pulling a dancing raccoon out of my pants.
1. I thank the Lord every day that I donít play for the Lions.

madtowndrunkard
11-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Ocho Cinco is the reason the Bengals are the Bengals. After his implosion in the locker room after we knocked them out of the playoffs - they fell apart and IMO they are still soft...and total frauds.

That team has so much talent it isn't even funny. Problem is their locker room is poison. They aren't "team" enough to win a playoff game.

If I'm the owner I trade Ocho Cinco and anyone like him on that roster. I bring in a "team" first attitude w/ a new coaching staff. Lucky for us their ownership is too stupid to realize the opportunity they have given their talent. They'll fall short again this season...and hopefully it's us ending their season - AGAIN.

The Browns are a mess. #1 they need a good QB. #2 they need an experienced HC who knows how to run a "TEAM" from top to bottom. That would fix the Browns. If I'm the owner of the Browns...I'd shoot my self.....OR I'd hire a coach like Mike Shanahan.

Steelboy84
11-01-2009, 10:30 AM
You know something, I can't remember not one special team return for a TD against us last year.

Psyychoward86
11-01-2009, 12:14 PM
You know something, I can't remember not one special team return for a TD against us last year.

that's because nobody did. Hope we can do that from here on out

solardave
11-01-2009, 12:46 PM
that's because nobody did. Hope we can do that from here on out

Yeah, we sure need to stop spotting teams points. I'm sure Tomlin will work those STs guys to death this week in practice.

Steelboy84
11-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Yeah, we sure need to stop spotting teams points. I'm sure Tomlin will work those STs guys to death this week in practice.

Oh yes. But with how horrible our ST were in 2007-08, the only place we had to go WAS up.

steelwalls
11-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Ocho Cinco is the reason the Bengals are the Bengals. After his implosion in the locker room after we knocked them out of the playoffs - they fell apart and IMO they are still soft...and total frauds.

That team has so much talent it isn't even funny. Problem is their locker room is poison. They aren't "team" enough to win a playoff game.

If I'm the owner I trade Ocho Cinco and anyone like him on that roster. I bring in a "team" first attitude w/ a new coaching staff. Lucky for us their ownership is too stupid to realize the opportunity they have given their talent. They'll fall short again this season...and hopefully it's us ending their season - AGAIN.

The Browns are a mess. #1 they need a good QB. #2 they need an experienced HC who knows how to run a "TEAM" from top to bottom. That would fix the Browns. If I'm the owner of the Browns...I'd shoot my self.....OR I'd hire a coach like Mike Shanahan.

I have to agree here but unless we beat them the 2nd time around we cant say anything. I do hope we spank that arse in our next meeting.

steelerchad
11-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Last year our special teams problems seemed fixed. This year coverage has been horrible. Don't know if it's injuries or what, but it sucks.
Side note, Percy Harvin single handedly tore up the Packers on KO returns today. So, he's apparently pretty good.

T.Richardson
11-01-2009, 10:16 PM

They were "team" enough to beat the Steelers earlier this year.

And I disagree.