PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Ryan Clark will NOT play in Denver

Steelboy84
11-02-2009, 02:09 PM
By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, November 2, 2009
Last updated: 1:58 pm

Ryan Clark practiced with the Steelers today but a decision as to whether or not the starting free safety will play Monday night in Denver has not been made, coach Mike Tomlin said.

"We're not going to hurry the process, we're going to proceed through our week," Tomlin said today. "He's going to take in information and reps and prepare to play in the football game. His backups are going to do the same and then at an appropriate time we'll sit down and come to a decision."

When the Steelers played in Denver in October of 2007, the high altitude caused Clark's blood to sickle. The ordeal led to the removal of his spleen and gall bladder in separate operations and almost cost Clark, who has sickle-cell trait, his career.

Clark and Tomlin met with doctors last Thursday and he has been cleared to play against the 6-1 Broncos.

Tomlin said even if Clark wants to play in the game he may overrule him.

If Clark does not play, Tyrone Carter or Ryan Mundy will start in his place at free safety.

Clark declined to talk to reporters after practice today.

"Whatever he decides we're going to back him," wide receiver Hines Ward said of Clark. "If it was me personally, life is more precious than football."

In other news, defensive end Travis Kirschke (lower leg) and outside linebacker Lawrence Timmons (ankle) did not practice. Tomlin said both are questionable for Monday's game.

Willie Parker also did not practice because of an illness but Tomlin said the veteran running back is expected to be OK.

The Steelers have made a minor roster move, signing tight end Eugene Bright to the practice squad and released tight end Kevin Brock.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_651127.html

Jmat
11-02-2009, 02:15 PM
He's giving Denver something to think about. Yeah that's it.

solardave
11-02-2009, 04:29 PM
He's giving Denver something to think about. Yeah that's it.

i know he thinks he's got to prove something to himself but he doesn't.

tony hipchest
11-02-2009, 05:31 PM
i think the count is unofficially up to nine.

mods... can i start it? pretty pretty please?

the week is still young and im sure dozens of fishwrap hacks will be using the fodder to meet their deadlines leading up to the game.

toughsticks87
11-02-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm glad to hear Tomlin will make the final decision.

Cheppy
11-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Inside The Locker Room (http://www.post-gazette.com/multimedia/?videoid=102532)

Crow-Magnon
11-04-2009, 04:36 PM
i know he thinks he's got to prove something to himself but he doesn't.

Football is football; life is life.

No matter how badly Clark may want to play, it's not worth the gamble.

Galax Steeler
11-05-2009, 03:54 AM
I don't think he will play they are just messing with Denvers mind.

mesaSteeler
11-05-2009, 05:55 AM
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2009/11/04/tomlin-to-make-the-call-on-clark/
View From The Press Box

Tomlin to make the call on Clark
November 4th, 2009

Ryan Clark has the blessing of his wife, Yonka, to play Monday night in Denver.

In the end, I still think Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is going to take the decision out of Clark’s hands and deactivate him for the game against the 6-1 Broncos – this in spite of the fact that the starting free safety has also been given the go-ahead by doctors to suit up in the game that could have playoff implications in regard to seeding.

What has made it infinitely safer for Clark in Denver, ironically, is the fact that he lost his spleen and gall bladder following the Steelers’ last game in the Mile High city.

The spleen is most susceptible to the kind of complications Clark, who has a rare form of sickle-cell trait, suffered when his blood sickled due to the high altitude in Denver in October of 2007.

Since Clark no longer has a spleen – he had it and his gall bladder removed in separate operations – he is at considerably less risk of going through the kind of harrowing ordeal that could have cost him his career and even his life two years ago.

The risk, however, hasn’t been completely eliminated, Clark said.

Clark, a ferocious competitor, said he wants to play against the Broncos. But, he added, the Steelers “can make the decision of me not playing. Coach Tomlin is going to have the final say if he is going to let me go or not.”

Here is thinking that Tomlin, who like Clark has young children, won’t even give the eighth-year veteran the option of playing. And that will be the right call no matter what happens in Denve

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-05-2009, 08:42 AM
According to Jason LaCanfora who covered Clark in Washington.....he is highly unlikely to play.

Jason La Canfora
Steelers likely will protect Clark, sit him vs. Broncos
Posted: November 4th, 2009 | Jason La Canfora | Tags: Denver Broncos, Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers, Ryan Clark

Steelers starting free safety Ryan Clark is highly unlikely to play Monday night in Denver, according to league sources, because of a rare sickle-cell trait that can trigger life-threatening complications at altitude.

Clark needed emergency surgery to remove his spleen when he played in Denver in 2007, and he also experienced serious complications from playing there with the Redskins in 2005.

Doctors cleared Clark to participate in the game, citing a low risk of him experiencing those same chronic issues again, but it can’t be ruled out entirely. Despite Clark protesting to play — I know him well, and he’s as driven an individual as you will find in this game — the Steelers are virtually certain to make an organizational decision to have him sit out the game against the Broncos, the sources said.

A final decision hasn’t been made, and Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has said he wouldn’t make any further statements on the matter until Thursday at the earliest, but internally, there is a strong feeling that protecting Clark is paramount. If this was the AFC Championship Game, the Steelers might be more inclined to let Clark make the call, but that is highly doubtful in this circumstance.
http://blogs.nfl.com/category/jason-la-canfora/

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Despite Clark protesting to play — I know him well, and he’s as driven an individual as you will find in this game — the Steelers are virtually certain to make an organizational decision to have him sit out the game against the Broncos, the sources said

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/jason-la-canfora/

Steeldude
11-05-2009, 09:40 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ApVloA9hI_R8vho2H6ytqahDubYF?slug=tsn-nflteamreportsteeler&prov=tsn&type=lgns

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-05-2009, 09:54 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ApVloA9hI_R8vho2H6ytqahDubYF?slug=tsn-nflteamreportsteeler&prov=tsn&type=lgns

That is good to hear. Using Carter on base defense and Mundy in passing downs !!! Mundy covers more area in passing game than carter.

memphissteelergirl
11-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Football is football; life is life.

No matter how badly Clark may want to play, it's not worth the gamble.

Amen to that...

Psyychoward86
11-05-2009, 05:36 PM
He'll make the right call

MACH1
11-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Good...Make him stay home.

tony hipchest
11-05-2009, 08:25 PM
i think the ryan clark thread count is up to 20, and i know this is destined to be another 4-5 but for the time being, it is appropriate here-

Reports: Ryan Clark Won't Play In Denver

http://kdka.com/steelers/Ryan.Clark.Denver.2.1295289.html

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ―

Ryan Clark will reportedly not play in Denver.

Ed Bouchette, a Post-Gazette Steeler beat reporter, says an announcement will likely come on Friday.

Clark nearly died of complications from playing at Mile High Stadium in 2007 because of a sickle cell trait in his blood. He had to have his spleen and gall bladder removed.

Tomlin said on Tuesday Clark has an additional health condition that aggravated the problem. He said numerous players with the sickle cell trait have played in Denver without any incident.

Earlier this week, Clark told KDKA-TV's Bob Pompeani that he will make the trip to Denver with the team.

The Steelers face Denver at Mile High Stadium next Monday.

Nadroj 20
11-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Good, thats something we wont have to worry about anymore, life is more important then football and im glad he is sitting out.

stillers4me
11-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Good. I'm glad that's settled. I never thought he would be playing in Denver anyway. It would be stupid and irresponsible to take that chance. Now the team will rally to win the game for Ryan. Yeehaa.

iloveben7
11-05-2009, 09:16 PM
I knew Ryan would make the right choice for him. No one wanted him to risk his life for one football game

SteelMember
11-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Tomlin listened to the doctors, talked to Clark and the coach likely took the choice out of his player's hands by making the executive decision for him.

:noidea:

http://postgazette.com/pg/09310/1011255-66.stm

SteelerEmpire
11-06-2009, 07:47 AM
Just sit this one out Clark.... Between Carter and Munday, the job wil get done. Just save all your frustrations for the Bengals .....

HometownGal
11-06-2009, 08:07 AM
i think the ryan clark thread count is up to 20, and i know this is destined to be another 4-5 but for the time being, it is appropriate here-

Reports: Ryan Clark Won't Play In Denver

http://kdka.com/steelers/Ryan.Clark.Denver.2.1295289.html

Thank God the decision has been made and that is that. I was going to start merging all of the Clark threads as the topic was becoming overly redundant.

btw - I updated the thread title. Any more Clark threads started will be merged into this one.

TackleMeBen
11-06-2009, 08:15 AM
this is why we have coach tomlin. not only does he care about winning football games, he also cares about his players and if something well effect their health he isnt afraid to say, sorry buddy you are sitting this one out..

RoethlisBURGHer
11-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Good. One game is not worth the rest of the season, or his life for that matter.

GutterflowerSteel
11-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Glad to hear it - Ryan, JUST STAY HOME! :helmet:

Fire Haley
11-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Some people here owe me money.
You know who you are.

Yes - I take PayPal.

California-Steel
11-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Well at least we never have to worry about Denver trying to sign Clark as a FA. Glad to see someone made the smart choice.