PDA

View Full Version : This is a huge, HUGE two game stretch for Pittsburgh, and here's why.................

Steelboy84
11-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Right now, Cincy holds the tie breaker over Pittsburgh at 5-2, and hold a one game lead over the Ravens.

Cincy 5-2
Pittsburgh 5-2
Baltimore 4-3

My sis came over yesterday and we were talking about the game Sunday between Baltimore and Cincy. It is highly unlikely that game will end a 0-0 tie (the utmost desired) or even a tie with both teams scoring. So we wondering: who would we rather win that game? I've been thinking about this all last night and all this evening coming up with all kinds of scenarios.................

The Steelers have a HUGE opportunity to take a two game lead over Cincy with these next two games..............................but that would have to start with a Baltimore victory on Sunday. (I know what you're thinking, but bear with me.)

Steelers: best case scenario- Steelers beat Denver and Cincy, move to 7-2, Baltimore beats Cincy, that puts Pittsburgh two games above Cincy (5-4)

another one to think about: Steelers beat Denver, lose to Cincy, record 6-3 OR Steelers lose to Denver, beat Cincy, record 6-3 (tied for first place with Cincy at worst no matter what Baltimore does)

Cincy: best case scenario- beat Baltimore, beat Pittsburgh, move to 7-2 with division lead no matter what.

worst case scenario- lose next two, move to 5-4 (that would mean Pittsburgh is 6-3 no matter what and at least tied with division lead with Baltimore (pending they beat Cleveland which they probably will.)

Baltimore: best case scenario- beat Cincy, beat Cleveland, move to 6-3 and at least tied with either Cincy (Cincy loses to them but beats Steelers, Cincy record 6-3), OR at least tied with the Steelers (Steelers lose to Denver, but beats Cincy, Steelers record 6-3) So either way Baltimore is at least tied for 1st place.

worst case scenario- lose next two, move to 4-5 and pretty much be done for this year and that's a rap.

So there are different ways of looking at this: pull for Baltimore (which is a Cardinal sin), we win next two, move to 7-2, Bengals 5-4, Ratbirds are 6-3, one game lead for the Steelers over Baltimore with still having to play them twice.

Or, you could say, pull for Cincy, which means Ravens fall to 5-4 (cause they will beat Cleveland more than likely) beat them next Sunday (along with Denver Monday Night), and we would have a one game lead over Cincy (6-3) and two game lead over the Ravens (5-4), Steelers-7-2.

But now, back to the Monday nighter for us. If we lose to Denver (only a scenario), but beat Cincy, and they have already beaten the Ravens, that puts us in a 1st place tie with Cincy, both being 6-3 and Ravens at 5-4.

Let me make this simple: assuming we can win the next two games, would you rather root for Cincy then beat them, take with a ONE game lead, OR would you rather root for Baltimore, they then beat Cleveland, move to 6-3, we already won both, we're 7-2.....................................KNOWING that we've already lost to Cincy, but not the Ravens? Remember, the Ravens are probably going to beat Cleveland. They've only won ONE division game just like we have, but Cincy HASN'T lost a division game yet.

That was a lot to take in, so here's a cold one. :drink: :drink: :drink:

Steelboy84
11-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Ravens beat Cincy, we beat Cincy, we go into Baltimore AT LEAST knowing we have the division lead. Beat the Ravens twice, beat Cleveland, division record 5-1, we would have beaten both Cincy AND Baltimore, no one else has only one loss in the division except us, they beat up on each other, we win the division!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03::thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :applaudit: :hatsoff: :wave: :tt: :tt02: :drink:

Kaeg
11-02-2009, 04:58 PM
My head hurts....

Steelboy84
11-02-2009, 04:58 PM
My head hurts....

lol

I know man. Have a cold one.

:drink:

Steelboy84
11-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Another thing to think about: if we only win one of these games (Cincy), we're 6-3. If Cincy beats the Ravens, they're 6-3, but we're still tied for the division lead. If we beat Cincy and Baltimore beats Cincy and Cleveland, they're 6-3, tied with us being 6-3 (that's if we only beat Cincy) for the division lead, but Baltimore doesn't hold a tie breaker with us at 6-3 like Cincy would. We wouldn't have the outright lead in either case, but we would have the CHANCE STILL to take it beating Baltimore twice. We would still be tied for the lead in this case with Cincy if Cincy beats Baltimore Sunday.

Hotrodder07
11-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Here's what I'm hoping for:

We beat the Broncos, and the Bengals. We're 7-2

Bengals lose to Ravens, and us. 5-4

Ravens beat Bengals, but lose to Cleveland. 5-4 (But they probably won't lose to the Browns, so let's call them 6-3. Still, that's what I want.)

So, after the next two weeks:
Steelers: 7-2
Ravens: 6-3
Bengals: 5-4

AllD
11-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Let's do our job and win the rest of the games and everything will take care of itself. Anything else is just speculation.

SteelC7
11-02-2009, 05:57 PM
ill never pull for cincy to win a game, i hope their godforsaken franchise loses for the rest of its oathetic existence. i hope the ravens take cincy out next week, we beat denver, then we beat cincy next week, then after that our schedule is smooth sailing

Christian Snyder
11-02-2009, 05:58 PM
I guess you have to root for the Ravens to beat the Bengals...:banging:

:tt04::tt02::tt:

WindyCitySteelerFan
11-02-2009, 06:07 PM
I think I lost the remainder of my braincells reading this.. LOL!

Edman
11-02-2009, 06:17 PM
The Steelers take care of business and this is a non-issue.

sharkweek
11-02-2009, 06:54 PM

agreed

steelwalls
11-02-2009, 07:05 PM
I guess you have to root for the Ravens to beat the Bengals...:banging:

:tt04::tt02::tt:

Yes an absolute terrible thing.....:doh: I wont be 'rooting' for the ratbirds, but in this case I hope they win. More imortantly we need to finish out this stretch strong, no matter who we play so we end up with the best record. We CAN beat either the ratbirds or the bungles even if we get in as a wildcard we are still a very dangerous team to play.

Steelboy84
11-02-2009, 07:10 PM
I think I lost the remainder of my braincells reading this.. LOL!

lol

:drink:

Steelboy84
11-02-2009, 07:11 PM

Which is back to my point.

This is a huge, HUGE two game stretch for the Steelers!!!!!!!!!

cubanstogie
11-02-2009, 07:19 PM

my thoughts exactly, especially since we have to assume Cincy will fold like a cheap suit until they prove otherwise.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-02-2009, 11:49 PM
I still think the Ravens are not as good as we think, but the Bengals are set to fade defensively and get run on by Baltimore. I think the Steelers win monday and end up 1 game up on both Cinci and Baltimore with 3 more big division games still on the line.

Like usual, this div aint gonna be settled until later in December.

stb_steeler
11-03-2009, 12:13 AM
It dont matter who the Steelers play. Win one game at a time :tt02:

augustashark
11-03-2009, 12:29 AM
Here's what I'm hoping for:

We beat the Broncos, and the Bengals. We're 7-3

Bengals lose to Ravens, and us. 5-4

Ravens beat Bengals, but lose to Cleveland. 5-4 (But they probably won't lose to the Browns, so let's call them 6-3. Still, that's what I want.)

So, after the next two weeks:
Steelers: 7-3
Ravens: 6-3
Bengals: 5-4

What happen? I know the nfl would like to take the W away from the Vikes game, but they can't so they do the next best thing. They just give us an extra loss.:chuckle:

iloveben7
11-03-2009, 12:34 AM

exactly :tt02:

Steelers & I
11-03-2009, 01:27 AM
Ok, the Steelers need to take care of their own business, no $hit. But in the meantime, seeing that the Steelers aren't playing Sunday, I'll be watching the Bengals and Ravens games. I'm hoping that the Ravens win for one simple reason, it will put the Bengals a game behind Pittsburgh. Since the Steelers have only one more shot at the Bengals while having 2 shots to beat the Ravens, why would anyone hope for a Bengals victory on Sunday?

Galax Steeler
11-03-2009, 03:35 AM
Ok, the Steelers need to take care of their own business, no $hit. But in the meantime, seeing that the Steelers aren't playing Sunday, I'll be watching the Bengals and Ravens games. I'm hoping that the Ravens win for one simple reason, it will put the Bengals a game behind Pittsburgh. Since the Steelers have only one more shot at the Bengals while having 2 shots to beat the Ravens, why would anyone hope for a Bengals victory on Sunday?

Agreed we need to win our games and let everything else play out. It does seem like we would be better if the Ravens won. If they don't that is ok we should start to peek it is our time of year.

stlrtruck
11-03-2009, 07:53 AM
What the hell was that MATH?

I try to keep this type of thought process until Thursday and Friday when I'm actually more focused on weekend football.

sharkweek
11-03-2009, 08:12 AM
Which is back to my point.

This is a huge, HUGE two game stretch for the Steelers!!!!!!!!!

I think his point was more in line of staying focused on one game stretches over a 16+ game season :flap:

sharkweek
11-03-2009, 08:20 AM

I'd have to agree with you, especially considering the Bengals' remaining schedule. In the dreaded scenario that they win their next two games they'll be 8-2 and have only games at San Diego and Minnesota that look like their best chances to lose games, and maybe their final game of the season playing at the Jets.

Granted, the reasoning behind those who want the Bengals to beat the Ravens is likely based out of fear that the Ravens really are the better team and that the Bengals are just pretenders.

The_WARDen
11-03-2009, 08:45 AM
I have a much simpler scenario - win out and nothing else matters.

:tt03:

Steelboy84
11-03-2009, 09:51 AM

My point exactly.

:tt03: :hatsoff: :applaudit: :tt03: :tt02: :drink:

revefsreleets
11-03-2009, 01:12 PM
Not too worried about this as I can't see either the Rats OR Bengals being much better than .500. At BEST one of the two holds it together enough to finish 10-6 and I still have us at 12-4.

Hotrodder07
11-03-2009, 02:58 PM
What happen? I know the nfl would like to take the W away from the Vikes game, but they can't so they do the next best thing. They just give us an extra loss.:chuckle:

Haha. Wow, don't know how I managed to screw that up.

beSteelmyheart
11-03-2009, 05:13 PM

Or just penalize the crap out of us with stupid B.S.
I can't imagine cheering for any of those jobbers! What is that old quote about the best answer usually being the most simple? I'll go with that but will still finsh my beer!
Win 'em all & let God sort em out!

Cheppy
11-07-2009, 05:05 PM
The Steelers have Cleveland, Kansas City & Oakland left on their schedule. I know any team can win on any given Sunday but I don't see how they lose those games. So say they win those games, that's 8 wins right there. The way I see it, for them to have a good chance at the bye they need to win 4 of the 6 other games. Those games are Denver, two against Baltimore, Cincy, (at home) Green Bay (at home) & Miami.

This two game stretch is indeed huge.

Steelboy84
11-07-2009, 05:10 PM
The Steelers have Cleveland, Kansas City & Oakland left on their schedule. I know any team can win on any given Sunday but I don't see how they lose those games. So say they win those games, that's 8 wins right there. The way I see it, for them to have a good chance at the bye they need to win 4 of the 6 other games. Those games are Denver, two against Baltimore, Cincy, (at home) Green Bay (at home) & Miami.

This two game stretch is indeed huge.

Indeed. :thumbsup:

Monday night seems like it'll never get here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheppy
11-07-2009, 05:42 PM

Monday night seems like it'll never get here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to DVR the game so for me Wednesday night can't get here soon enough:sweating:

Steelboy84
11-07-2009, 05:45 PM
I have to DVR the game so for me Wednesday night can't get here soon enough:sweating:

You'll get to see the a**whooping Denver's gonna get Wednesday!

:thumbsup: :drink: :applaudit:

Cheppy
11-07-2009, 05:51 PM
You'll get to see the a**whooping Denver's gonna get Wednesday!

:thumbsup: :drink: :applaudit:

I went two days without the Steelers/Titans game getting spoiled for me. Fingers crossed I could do the same next week. I already put in for a day off from work on Nov, 30th so I can watch the Steelers vs Ratbirds game live. Going two days without a game getting spoiled is one thing. Three days is another..

Steelboy84
11-07-2009, 05:55 PM
I went two days without the Steelers/Titans game getting spoiled for me. Fingers crossed I could do the same next week. I already put in for a day off from work on Nov, 30th so I can watch the Steelers vs Ratbirds game live. Going two days without a game getting spoiled is one thing. Three days is another..

:tt03: :tt03: :tt03:

And a very, very nice avatar I might add. Very nice. :thumbsup:

Christian Snyder
11-07-2009, 06:52 PM

Monday night seems like it'll never get here!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ain't that the truth..

:tt04:

Stlrs4Life
11-08-2009, 09:31 AM
All I know is that we have to go 2-1 in the next 3 game stretch, and 1 of those wins has to be over Cincy.

markymarc
11-08-2009, 11:33 AM
I felt all season that the 3 game stretch of Vikings, Broncos and Bengals would determine how well or bad our season played out. It will be our toughest stretch all season. And to be honest I would be surprised if we didn't end up going 3-0 in those games. Vikings down and only the Broncos and Bengals left. Also, I think the Ravens will beat the Bengals today!

stb_steeler
11-08-2009, 03:30 PM
I felt all season that the 3 game stretch of Vikings, Broncos and Bengals would determine how well or bad our season played out. It will be our toughest stretch all season. And to be honest I would be surprised if we didn't end up going 3-0 in those games. Vikings down and only the Broncos and Bengals left. Also, I think the Ravens will beat the Bengals today!

Think again.....!!!

Steelboy84
11-08-2009, 04:55 PM
This stretch just became that much more important.

markymarc
11-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Think again.....!!!

The Ravens definitely didn't show up to play today. Very surprising considering what they did to the Broncos last weekend. Looks like it will be the Bungles and Steelers fighting it out for the division.

Steelboy84
11-08-2009, 07:08 PM
The Ravens definitely didn't show up to play today. Very surprising considering what they did to the Broncos last weekend. Looks like it will be the Bungles and Steelers fighting it out for the division.

And Monday night can't here soon enough.

markymarc
11-08-2009, 07:14 PM
And Monday night can't here soon enough.

No kidding. It's horrible going through the bye weekend and then having to wait until Monday night to watch the Steelers play again. Thank goodness only a little over 24 hours until we can watch them again :tt02:

Steelboy84
11-08-2009, 07:16 PM
No kidding. It's horrible going through the bye weekend and then having to wait until Monday night to watch the Steelers play again. Thank goodness only a little over 24 hours until we can watch them again :tt02:

And plus, we get 2 games in a 7 day stretch!!!!!!

:tt03: :tt03: :tt03:

Steelboy84
11-08-2009, 07:17 PM
I'll be on here very early tomorrow, I can tell you that.

:thumbsup:

stlrtruck
11-09-2009, 11:50 AM
The Steelers just need to take care of their own business - ONE GAME AT A TIME!

steelerdave1969
11-09-2009, 03:56 PM
The Steelers just need to take care of their own business - ONE GAME AT A TIME!

Couldnt have said it better myself. The Ravens are still a good team, but they are showing weaknesses vs the run especially without Ngata in the middle of that line. With him being out the Bengals were able to run the ball very effectively. I dont know if Ngata was healthy in the first meeting of those two teams but the Bengals have a very good running game this year to go along with Palmer and Ocho who seems to have put his pride behind a little bit and playing some serious ball for the first time in a few years.
But I would think if we take care of business tonight and the rest of the season as we should and if we can keep our players healthy then we will be just fine.