View Full Version : Ravens are alive and nasty as ever

mesaSteeler
11-02-2009, 06:21 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09306/1010182-66.stm
Ravens are alive and nasty as ever
Monday, November 02, 2009
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Larry French/Associated Press
Quarterback Joe Flacco led the Ravens to a 30-7 home win against the Broncos yesterday.

BALTIMORE -- You didn't think the Baltimore Ravens were just going to go away, did you?

I mean, really?

"We ain't going anywhere!" wide receiver Derrick Mason crowed yesterday when someone suggested to him that a lot of people in Pittsburgh -- including those who play for the Steelers -- had been hoping the unbeaten Denver Broncos would do a number on his Ravens, hand them a fourth consecutive defeat and maybe, just maybe, put them down for the count in the AFC North Division fight.

So much for wishful thinking.

Baltimore 30, Denver 7.

"We're still who we are," Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis said with considerable satisfaction afterward.

The Ravens didn't just beat the Broncos almost beyond recognition, getting a huge day from quarterback Joe Flacco (109.2 passer rating), holding the Denver offense to 200 yards and starting the second half with a 95-yard kickoff return for a touchdown by rookie Lardarius Webb. They exposed the Broncos as frauds, making them look more like the winless Tampa Bay Buccaneers than one of the NFL's final three unbeaten teams. They also might have softened them up a bit for the Steelers, who play in Denver next Monday night.

"We just didn't do a whole lot," Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton said.

"None of us showed up," running back Correll Buckhalter said.

"We were outcoached and outplayed, basically, in every phase," rookie coach Josh McDaniels said.

True, true and true.

But that wasn't the big story here.

It was that the Ravens saved their season.

After losing their three previous games to Minnesota, Cincinnati and New England by a total of 11 points, the Ravens would have been in a world of trouble if they hadn't come up big in this one and fallen to 3-4. They must play at Cincinnati Sunday. There are the two games ahead against the Steelers, who have beaten them in four of their past five meetings. There also is a home game with the undefeated Indianapolis Colts and a Monday night contest at Green Bay.

This was as close to must-win as you get on Nov. 1.

"We were dialed in," Webb said. "With our leaders, Ray and Ed [Reed], they stepped up. That's how you know if you've got a strong locker room or a weak locker room. Your leaders have to step up. Our locker room stayed together."

The Broncos must have thought they were in good shape at halftime, down just 6-0. And why not? They had owned the second half in their first six games, outscoring their opponents, 76-10.

But Webb's kickoff return deflated the Broncos big time and, as McDaniels noted, sadly, "probably gave them a lot of energy. The great Lewis -- the face of the Ravens' franchise -- wasn't about to disagree. "Once you're playing from behind, it's going to be a hard time catching up to us."

Orton and his offense weren't up to that challenge. He never seemed to get into the game after Ravens linebacker Jarret Johnson came free and dumped him hard for an 8-yard sack on the first play. The Broncos' 200 yards were their fewest in a game in six years.

But as impressive as the Ravens were defensively, their offense was even more lights-out against a Broncos defense that was ranked No. 2 in the NFL coming in. Flacco -- "Joe Cool," as he is known around here -- completed his final 14 passes to finish 20 for 25, an 80 percent completion rate that matched the Ravens' record. Running back Ray Rice gained 84 of the Ravens' 125 rushing yards as they became the first team to get 100 against the Broncos this season. Mason caught a 20-yard touchdown pass early in the fourth quarter to take what little suspense remained out of the game.

The afternoon's most amazing statistic? That's easy. The Ravens converted 6 of 8 third-down chances in the second half against a defense that had allowed just two third-down conversions in the second half all season, none in the previous four games.

Flacco, who started his college career at Pitt before transferring to Delaware in 2005, was the talk of both locker rooms.

"There's not much give-up in Joe Flacco," McDaniels said, trying to explain his first loss. "He doesn't easily give up on plays."

"He's going to be one of the top two or three quarterbacks in the league," Mason said. "He stays poised. You've got to love that in a quarterback. He stays poised regardless of the situation."

Ravens coach John Harbaugh loved all of it. It's hard to imagine his team playing a more complete game. "Fundamental Ravens football," he called it.

Sorry, Pittsburgh.

The Ravens aren't dead and buried.

They are alive and doing just fine.
Ron Cook can be reached at rcook@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09306/1010182-66.stm#ixzz0VkNOFuEh

("The Ravens aren't dead and buried." I wouldn't have it any other way. - mesa)

SteelC7
11-02-2009, 06:58 PM
dont say sorry to us, say sry to the ravens, now theyll be a good team gettin beat by us instead of a bad team losing to a good team, theyll look worse wen they lose to us twice

#1 Big Ben Fan
11-02-2009, 07:06 PM
4-3 are the Ravens. Oh I'm really scared and the Steelers should be to.lol The Steelers will sweep the Ratbirds again this year. Mark it down

Edman
11-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Ron Cook looking for something to write on the bye week.

Until proven otherwise, the Steelers own the "nasty" Ravens.

Fire Haley
11-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Make no mistake, Flacco wants no part of a healthy Troy.

The Ninja will slaughter him, again.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRY3Asqube8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRY3Asqube8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

tyler289
11-02-2009, 07:35 PM
The Ravens are who we thought they were.

rich4eagle
11-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Ravens are quite good............as is Cincy.............this fight better be all out ............else we can be looking out to in

Steelboy84
11-02-2009, 08:41 PM
f*ck Baltimore

MACH1
11-02-2009, 09:01 PM
They will have to be dealt with, like it or not.

Angus Burgher
11-02-2009, 09:12 PM
OOOHHH the Ravens won a game after dropping three straight. They're elite, alright.

HometownGal
11-02-2009, 10:21 PM
"We're still who we are," Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis said with considerable satisfaction afterward.

First intelligent and correct statement that has ever come outta your mouth Stabbit Ray. You most definitely are still who you are - a pompous douchenozzle who got away with murder. :upyours:

Psyychoward86
11-02-2009, 10:53 PM
AFC North crown race keeps getting tighter and tighter. Me likey

steelwalls
11-02-2009, 11:38 PM
Thats allmost like a well written article by TIMMMAAAA..... however to many words were spelled correctly and not enough of these-> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

solardave
11-03-2009, 06:54 AM
Ravens are quite good............as is Cincy.............this fight better be all out ............else we can be looking out to in

Looks like the AFC north is shaping up to be the toughest division in the NFL. What are we gonna do with Cleveland though. Oh yeah beat the crap out of them again.

stlrtruck
11-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Right now I'm not worried about the ravens. They did a great job on Sunday against the broncos. This week we have the broncos.

I'll think about the ratbirds when we play them in baltimoronville on Nov 29.

Crow-Magnon
11-03-2009, 10:12 AM
OOOHHH the Ravens won a game after dropping three straight. They're elite, alright.

Now, be honest. Did you say the same after the Steelers won after dropping two straight? To Chicago and Cincinnati?

Indo
11-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Now, be honest. Did you say the same after the Steelers won after dropping two straight? To Chicago and Cincinnati?

OK.

But Flacco in the top two or three in the league?
That's a s-t-r-e-t-c-h

Dino 6 Rings
11-03-2009, 10:34 AM
It was a very nice win for the Ravens.

The Steelers must beat the Broncos this week to maintain their place in the playoff race. With the Bengals and Ravens about to face off, we can't afford to drop a game at this point.

We lost to Denver the last time we played them, a game we had no business losing. Now they are even more confident and playing better this season, we can't take them lightly, they'll be fired up for a home monday night game we need to smash their faces in early and beat them into submission by half time...then stop on their throats in the second half and make sure they don't get up.

Crow-Magnon
11-03-2009, 10:38 AM
OK.

But Flacco in the top two or three in the league?
That's a s-t-r-e-t-c-h

Top two or three? Yeah, that's a stretch. But he is having one heck of a year so far.

Indo
11-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Top two or three? Yeah, that's a stretch. But he is having one heck of a year so far.

Yes. He is...

(I think I just threw up in my mouth...)

revefsreleets
11-03-2009, 02:11 PM
We still own the Ravens....to the point that our players our in their players heads.

That will come out on the field. After last year they will have doubt that they CAN beat the Steelers. And Tomlin is good enough at his craft to play that up....

T.Richardson
11-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Here's the games between these two teams. Baltimore has given Pittsburgh some good games.

PIT 31, BAL 17
BAL 31, PIT 17
PIT 42, BAL 34
PIT 37, BAL 0
PIT 20, BAL 13
PIT 16, BAL 13
PIT 23, BAL 20
BAL 31, PIT 24
BAL 16, PIT 0
PIT 9, BAL 6
BAL 13, PIT 10
PIT 26, BAL 21
PIT 27, BAL 10
PIT 31, BAL 18
PIT 34, BAL 31
PIT 34, BAL 15
BAL 13, PIT 10, OT
BAL 30, PIT 13
PIT 20, BAL 7
PIT 20, BAL 19
BAL 16, PIT 13, OT
BAL 27, PIT 0
BAL 31, PIT 7
PIT 38, BAL 7
BAL 27, PIT 21
PIT 23, BAL 20, OT
PIT 13, BAL 9
PIT 23, BAL 14

Crow-Magnon
11-03-2009, 07:51 PM
We still own the Ravens....to the point that our players our in their players heads.

That will come out on the field. After last year they will have doubt that they CAN beat the Steelers. And Tomlin is good enough at his craft to play that up....

Last year, yes. No doubt.

But I really do not think the Ravens are really going to dote on last year.

revefsreleets
11-04-2009, 12:17 PM
That's what the Browns thought the last time we knocked THEM out of the playoffs...we haven't lost to them since...

Crow-Magnon
11-04-2009, 12:40 PM
That's what the Browns thought the last time we knocked THEM out of the playoffs...we haven't lost to them since...

I thought you were serious, until you brought the Browns into the conversation.

SteelMember
11-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Last year, yes. No doubt.

But I really do not think the Ravens are really going to dote on last year.

So what were those motivational t-shirts they brought out in training camp for?

Bad memories, that's what.

Twirl it like a helicopter! :tt04:

Crow-Magnon
11-04-2009, 01:02 PM
So what were those motivational t-shirts they brought out in training camp for?

Bad memories, that's what.

Twirl it like a helicopter! :tt04:

Those have nothing whatsoever to do with any of the Ravens or their coaches being worried about last year's Steelers-Ravens outcomes compared to this year's.

Dino 6 Rings
11-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Who? I don't give a crap about the Ravens...We play the Broncos this week.

Ravens need to win against the Bengals and worry about that game, if they drop it this Sunday, their chances of actually competing for the AFCN title are all but over when you start counting up tie breakers.

Crow-Magnon
11-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Who? I don't give a crap about the Ravens...We play the Broncos this week.

Ravens need to win against the Bengals and worry about that game, if they drop it this Sunday, their chances of actually competing for the AFCN title are all but over when you start counting up tie breakers.

Now that I can agree with. A loss to Cincinnati Sunday and Baltimore's chance at a division title are over. And with a 4-0 AFCN record at this stage, the Bengals will be in the driver's seat.

Dino 6 Rings
11-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Now that I can agree with. A loss to Cincinnati Sunday and Baltimore's chance at a division title are over. And with a 4-0 AFCN record at this stage, the Bengals will be in the driver's seat.

Its plays into why the Denver game is Huge for the Steelers, we need to boost our AFC Conference Game wins up big time. I can deal with the loss to Chicago, NFC, but we have to sweep out the rest of our AFC Games for sure for Tie Breakers and playoff implications. Beating the Broncos pushes us into the Drivers seat because we play the Bengals once more and the Ravens 2 more times.

scsteeler
11-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Right now I'm not worried about the ravens. They did a great job on Sunday against the broncos. This week we have the broncos.

I'll think about the ratbirds when we play them in baltimoronville on Nov 29.

So True! I say take care of the Bronco's first. And then worry about our next opponent.

Crow-Magnon
11-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Its plays into why the Denver game is Huge for the Steelers, we need to boost our AFC Conference Game wins up big time. I can deal with the loss to Chicago, NFC, but we have to sweep out the rest of our AFC Games for sure for Tie Breakers and playoff implications. Beating the Broncos pushes us into the Drivers seat because we play the Bengals once more and the Ravens 2 more times.

True. And if the Ravens beat the Bengals (splitting 1-1) and the Steelers beat the Bengals later in the season (also splitting at 1-1), a loss to Denver is a tiebreaker compare to Baltimore's win against the Broncos. Which, as an AFC team, carries more weight than the outcome of the games with the Vikings.

Of course, that's if 2009 ends in a tie and the Ravens-Steelers split their two games. No matter, this MNF game is still important for Pittsburgh.

SteelMember
11-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Those have nothing whatsoever to do with any of the Ravens or their coaches being worried about last year's Steelers-Ravens outcomes compared to this year's.

:laughing:

Ok. They're not worried, but they were thinking about a rematch before the season even started, and we won't meet until when...11-29? Come on. Were in your heads and on your shirts, and when it's finally time for us to acknowledge you, we'll be in your stadium ready to see what all the fuss is about.

revefsreleets
11-04-2009, 02:37 PM
I thought you were serious, until you brought the Browns into the conversation.

And what are the Ratbirds, really, other than the old Browns in gawdawful Baltimore-tacky multicolored (but mostly putrid purple) jerseys?

stb_steeler
11-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Yes. He is...

(I think I just threw up in my mouth...)

:puke: Kinda leaves a bad taste in ya mouth dont it?.......:thumbsup:

HometownGal
11-04-2009, 04:51 PM
And what are the Ratbirds, really, other than the old Browns in gawdawful Baltimore-tacky multicolored (but mostly putrid purple) jerseys?

Just like a sandlot team, a helluva better all around team than the Browns. :laughing:

Crow-Magnon
11-04-2009, 05:18 PM

Well, I guess that's what they are to you, huh? Should I apologize? :rofl:

Dino 6 Rings
11-04-2009, 05:22 PM
True. And if the Ravens beat the Bengals (splitting 1-1) and the Steelers beat the Bengals later in the season (also splitting at 1-1), a loss to Denver is a tiebreaker compare to Baltimore's win against the Broncos. Which, as an AFC team, carries more weight than the outcome of the games with the Vikings.

Of course, that's if 2009 ends in a tie and the Ravens-Steelers split their two games. No matter, this MNF game is still important for Pittsburgh.

I agree with you though earlier. If the Ravens drop this one to the Bengals, they are in big trouble. That'll be 4 losses in 5 games. Huge drop off, will hurt that team big time.

If they win, it just helps them move forward and fight on, if they lose...its all but over

Crow-Magnon
11-04-2009, 05:34 PM
I agree with you though earlier. If the Ravens drop this one to the Bengals, they are in big trouble. That'll be 4 losses in 5 games. Huge drop off, will hurt that team big time.

If they win, it just helps them move forward and fight on, if they lose...its all but over

It might not "be over" if it was any other team, but a loss to the Bengals gives them a two-game sweep and gives them a 4-0 record in the AFCN. That would be pretty hard to overcome.

My gut tells me that Harbaugh and the OC and DC took the bye week and made some changes (especially on defense) that showed up in the Broncos game that will also crop up in the Bengals match-up. More pressure on Palmer, safeties playing closer to the LOS and blitzing, different looks from LB's (especially Johnson). I think the Ravens are either going to blow out the Bengals 34-17, or Palmer finds a way to beat Baltimore's secondary and they blow out the Ravens by a similar score. I really don't think it's going to be one of those now-familiar "Bengals win in the last 42 seconds" games.

HughC
11-04-2009, 10:42 PM
While the Ravens are talented enough to win on any Sunday, they are also undisciplined enough to lose a couple more games that they should win before the season is over. A bit of adversity results in a loss of focus, followed by self destruction.

Physically tough: sure.
Mentally tough: not so much.

Angus Burgher
11-05-2009, 02:18 AM

I'm just trying to point out that the media has a tendancy to blow these things out of proportion. Yes, the Ravens won against a previously undefeated team. Kudos to them. But that doesn't change the fact that they lost three games prior to that. It doesn't mean that they're bad; it simply means that as of right now, it's still questionable how well things are going to turn out for them.

The same could obviously be said for the Steelers, but... if they expect Pittsburgh fans to be worried since the Ravens only lost 3 games by a total of 11 points... well, the Steelers only lost 2 by a total of 6 points.

revefsreleets
11-05-2009, 11:10 AM
It's interesting....I think the self-doubt the Steelers planted in the Rats players brains last year is now manifesting itself in the fans, too...

Angus Burgher
11-05-2009, 12:23 PM
It's interesting....I think the self-doubt the Steelers planted in the Rats players brains last year is now manifesting itself in the fans, too...

I wouldn't go that far. I work with a lot of Baltimorons and they still think that the officials are the only reason that the Ratbirds don't go 16-0 every season. They talk up Flacco like he's Joe Montana.

steelballs
11-05-2009, 12:36 PM

You don't have to THINK we're in their heads, we definitely are and have been for several years.
I live in B'More and I live amongst the largest contingent of bandwagon fans in the nation. The typical rat fan will thump his chest and cry the rat war scream after a win, but will also be the first to jump ship when things start to go south.

Hell, two of my three season ticket holding neighbors didn't even go to the game against the Broncos. I've seen this same thing happen time and again.

I've had season tickets to the Steelers since the 70's and have only missed one home game in all that time....needless to say they weren't all winning campaigns, but I was there none the less. I'm not looking for any atta boys because of that, but I can't understand the fan mentality here in ratland, you support your team regardless of success.

Lastly, I live within a few miles of the rat trainig camp location. There is a small public golf course that runs adjacent and in full view of the outdoor fields. I made a point of playing a round during active camp hours with my black & gold proudly displayed....do you think I went unnoticed???? Not a chance. Do you think I would have gotten the same comical responses from these cretons had I had a Bengal or Brown jersey on....I think not.

Edman
11-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Bumping this for the sake of lulz.

Don't get too far ahead of yourself there, Cook.

revefsreleets
11-09-2009, 02:03 PM
I think the Rats are dying....and the "nasty" part of the title of this thread?

That's the smell of rot that's so nasty....