PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Polumbus tasked with big challenge in Steelers' Harrison

mesaSteeler
11-02-2009, 05:33 PM
Broncos' Polumbus tasked with big challenge in Steelers' Harrison
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 11/02/2009 01:02:10 PM MST
http://www.denverpost.com/election/ci_13695647
Tyler Polumbus (76) will have to protect Kyle Orton from a stout Steelers line. (Joe Amon | The Denver Post)

For his first NFL start, Tyler Polumbus gets to take on James Harrison, Lawrence Timmons and the mighty 3-4 Pittsburgh Steelers defense.

Then again, Polumbus just did a good job holding off Terrell Suggs and the Baltimore Ravens so there's evidence he's ready for his next challenge. In Harrison, Polumbus will see the NFL's defending defensive player of the year.

Polumbus, a former standout from Cherry Creek High School and the University of Colorado, is the Broncos' new right tackle after Ryan Harris suffered two dislocated toes on his right foot Sunday.

Harris could be out three weeks, although the Broncos are hopeful he can return earlier.

"He will not play this week," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said at his Monday press conference.

Polumbus, who the Broncos signed as an undrafted free agent last year, filled in for Harris early in the second quarter and finished the game.

Although, the Broncos suffered protection breakdowns against the Ravens, Polumbus was often matched up against Suggs and did not allow Baltimore's well compensated, pass-rushing outside linebacker to get at quarterback Kyle Orton.

"Tyler went in and did a decent job; hung in there," McDaniels said. "Tyler's been in this system as long as anybody else has this year. He familiar with what he's doing. We're always getting plenty of reps in practice. He handled himself well in the preseason and we'll expect him to go in there and play well."

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com.

AllD
11-02-2009, 05:45 PM
Polumbus already called Harrison "an old man who could not sack a bag of groceries." I wonder how James will respond to that comment?

Cheppy
11-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Polumbus already called Harrison "an old man who could not sack a bag of groceries." I wonder how James will respond to that comment?

Where did you read that insanity?:chuckle:

Merchant
11-02-2009, 06:00 PM
He's a right tackle.. wouldn't James Harrison be matched up against Ryan Clady, the left tackle? and Lamarr Woodley on Polumbus?

Psyychoward86
11-02-2009, 09:57 PM
He's a right tackle.. wouldn't James Harrison be matched up against Ryan Clady, the left tackle? and Lamarr Woodley on Polumbus?

i was thinking the same. They would be insane not to match up Clady with harrison. Who the heck is ryan harris??

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-02-2009, 11:40 PM

Yeah, more lousy reporting by some scrub journalist. For the most part, Woodley is gonna be over the RT in passing downs and even on the run game. Harrison will be over Clady.

I am gonna be interested to see how Ben Hamilton is able to handle Keisel. This is an athletic, but not overly massive Bronco's O line that can get pushed around by a big NT like Hampton and some 300lb ends.

Merchant
11-02-2009, 11:42 PM
Plus the Ratbirds helped us out a little in providing some good tape for seeking out the weaknesses in their protection schemes.

GridironWarrior
11-02-2009, 11:45 PM

You have a link?

tony hipchest
11-02-2009, 11:46 PM
Where did you read that insanity?:chuckle:i started a twitter account under the name of Tyler_Polumbus and the first tweet was "james harrison is too old to sack a bag of groceries".

:wink02:

Cheppy
11-03-2009, 01:10 AM
i started a twitter account under the name of Tyler_Polumbus and the first tweet was "james harrison is too old to sack a bag of groceries".

Alright, that's alot less insane. You should try to get Harrison's number so you can tell him how gay his hybrid car. (much like some players did impersonating keenan mccardell and calling greg lloyd)

Galax Steeler
11-03-2009, 03:39 AM
Alright, that's alot less insane. You should try to get Harrison's number so you can tell him how gay his hybrid car. (much like some players did impersonating keenan mccardell and calling greg lloyd)

I wouldn't want to tell him to his face about his car, you better be calling long distance if you do decide to tell him.:rofl:

pancake
11-03-2009, 04:27 AM

Lloyd was a scary man, I wouldn't even want to know about that joke if I was on the team... :chuckle:

solardave
11-03-2009, 05:35 AM
i started a twitter account under the name of Tyler_Polumbus and the first tweet was "james harrison is too old to sack a bag of groceries".

That explains it. I just became a follower so I can track you after the game when you say.
"badee,badee,badee, that's all folks":tt:

Cheppy
11-03-2009, 10:51 AM
I wouldn't want to tell him to his face about his car,

Neither would I. I like life.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Polumbus is a 2nd year guy from Colorado that is 6'8" 300lbs. Woodley is 6'2" 265 and thrives on using his strength and leverage to get a bull rush, then shed the OT when on his heels.

Wood is gonna have no trouble getting under a guy that is 6" taller than him and driving him back into Orton like he's on skates. I predict a 3 sack game for Woodley this week. Hopefully its a win.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-03-2009, 12:22 PM

You are correct...and I hope he sighs in relief, not realizing that going from Harrison to Woodley is just a matter of having to pick your poison.

Mile High 24
11-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Polumbus is a 2nd year guy from Colorado that is 6'8" 300lbs. Woodley is 6'2" 265 and thrives on using his strength and leverage to get a bull rush, then shed the OT when on his heels.

Wood is gonna have no trouble getting under a guy that is 6" taller than him and driving him back into Orton like he's on skates. I predict a 3 sack game for Woodley this week. Hopefully its a win.

He done great against Suggs when he came in.

So Woodley has got 3 sacks all year and he's going to explode for 3 against our #6 ranked OL?? LOL, good luck with that

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-03-2009, 12:30 PM

IF this is true...perhaps someone should reach out and talk to this young man. A suicide note is usually a cry for help.:noidea:

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-03-2009, 12:33 PM

So Woodley has got 3 sacks all year and he's going to explode for 3 against our #6 ranked OL?? LOL, good luck with that

Woodley will own this guy. Not sure how many sacks he will end up with, but he will beat him like he stole something. That is a guarentee.

LVSteelersfan
11-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Timmons and Farrior will be in the mix coming up the middle as well. This is not your typical defense. Orton will be so confused by the Lebeau defense it will make his head spin. Orton is a joke when he plays against real defenses. And don't try to tell me that the Patsies had a real defense or I will laugh in your face. They are a joke.

Mile High 24
11-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Timmons and Farrior will be in the mix coming up the middle as well. This is not your typical defense. Orton will be so confused by the Lebeau defense it will make his head spin. Orton is a joke when he plays against real defenses. And don't try to tell me that the Patsies had a real defense or I will laugh in your face. They are a joke.

NE has the #6 ranked D, you have the #8 D.

Orton drove us to 90 and 98 yard TD's and also down the field in OT.

fansince'76
11-03-2009, 12:46 PM

Sorry, but if you think Orton is gonna do that against us, you're delusional.

wootawnee
11-03-2009, 01:07 PM

Denver Troll alert.............

Go post on you own board pal.......

You punks think your the cheese........You win a couple of games and smell roses.....You are just like the Bengals, a bunch of punks who think they should win and not have to put in the work.........

The Bungals are the same way this year, thinkin they won it all already..........Wait till the Raven's beat them down this weekend..........

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-03-2009, 01:07 PM

Keep gleaning those stats and being oblivious to players talents and techniques. We have had visitors like that before. Maybe you can tell us what Buckhalters DVOA is next. :rolleyes:

I explained it in another thread, but Woodley likes to bull rush and a tall lanky guy like Polumbus sets up perfectly for him. He may only get credit for a sack or 2, but he is gonna collapse the pocket a lot.

He got to Warner in this one by bull rushing Levi Brown......Polumbus is no Levi Brown.
http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/84623594.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19346E4C5E9CA0732617E21D51E497793C2 26FD13ED7B73D4BC

revefsreleets
11-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Woodley is slow and fat, so this kid will make him a non-factor.

IF he was facing Harrison, my best advice for him would be hold. Hold early, and hold often. At the BEST (or worst, depending on your perspective), you'll get called for it twice in the game, and, since its in Denver, most likely once, and probably NOT on a play that made any significant impact.

Psyychoward86
11-03-2009, 04:21 PM

cupcake teams are deceiving :popcorn:

tony hipchest
11-03-2009, 05:53 PM
in week one, polumbus discovered that the bengals suck.

in week 8 he discovers this aint the bengals no mo.

Merchant
11-03-2009, 06:42 PM
LOL... I love how people look at the stats, see that we're ranked 8th in total defense and actually think that there's a better defense than us out there. Let's take a look here.

1. Broncos Got exposed against the Ravens
2. Jets Hahahaha.. come on now.. this right away proves how delusional people are who rely on stats
3. Giants Remind me what the score against new orleans, arizona, and philly was?
4. Packers Haha.. really? Vikes offense scored 38 on them.. and 10 on us
5. Redskins Bahahaha.. gotta be the funniest one yet on this list
6. Patriots Only one so far that belongs.. but still breaking in A LOT of new guys
7. Panthers Come on now.
8. Steelers Keep looking at the stats. We'll keep looking at 7 lombardis come february

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-03-2009, 07:55 PM
LOL... I love how people look at the stats, see that we're ranked 8th in total defense and actually think that there's a better defense than us out there. Let's take a look here.

1. Broncos Got exposed against the Ravens
2. Jets Hahahaha.. come on now.. this right away proves how delusional people are who rely on stats
3. Giants Remind me what the score against new orleans, arizona, and philly was?
4. Packers Haha.. really? Vikes offense scored 38 on them.. and 10 on us
5. Redskins Bahahaha.. gotta be the funniest one yet on this list
6. Patriots Only one so far that belongs.. but still breaking in A LOT of new guys
7. Panthers Come on now.
8. Steelers Keep looking at the stats. We'll keep looking at 7 lombardis come february

True, but we didnt light it up against Detroit, Chicago or Cinci. I just can see a Steeler team that consists mostly of last years champs on the roster vs. a team of mostly free agent has beens and never were's on Denver.

That being said, ......"any given sunday"

Texasteel
11-03-2009, 08:05 PM

I just love pocket calculator football. It's a fools game.

Edman
11-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Orton has been playing above his head prior to the Baltimore game, then he promptly got destroyed by a Ravens defense that prior to that game, was a shell of itself and giving up gobs of yardage.

There is a reason why he was unable to beat out Rex freakin' Grossman in Chicago.