PDA

View Full Version : Vikings 4th quarter TD to The Tripper

SteelerFanInStl
11-02-2009, 09:15 PM
I was watching the Vikings vs. Packers game yesterday and noticed something. In the 4th quarter the Vikes were at the 2 yard line and Favre threw a pass to the TE that was called for the tripping penalty against Harrison last week. He caught the pass at around the 1 yard line and fell forward into the end zone and rolled over, losing the ball in the process. Despite not maintaining control of the ball, the officials still called this a TD. How was this play any different than the 2 TDs that have been taken away from the Steelers this year? The rule says that if you fall to the ground, you have to maintain control of the ball, which he didn't do. Is the rule interpreted differently because the receiver is breaking the plane of the endzone as opposed to catching the ball in the endzone? You only have to break the plane to score a TD but you have to maintain control for it to be ruled a catch.

I'm curious what people think about this.

If you want to watch the video, you can see the game highlights on NFL.com. The play starts at 3:17.

stlrtruck
11-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Because unlike catching the ball in the endzone, once you are in the field of play and cross the goal line, the play essentially is dead and the TD counts. Where as when you catch in the endzone you have to complete the catch to the ground.

SteelerFanInStl
11-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Because unlike catching the ball in the endzone, once you are in the field of play and cross the goal line, the play essentially is dead and the TD counts. Where as when you catch in the endzone you have to complete the catch to the ground.

That was my thought but it doesn't seem to me like possession was established before breaking the plane. If that same play happens anywhere else on the field, they would probably have said it was an incomplete pass.

CanadianSteel
11-03-2009, 02:01 PM
Funny I saw that and kinda thought the same thing.... Ialthough I did thiunk about gthe diffrenece and crossing the goal line. I also saw a couple other plays where I questioned that new rule and maintainig possesion.
I think its one of those rules wheer the refs can still interpret which is not good.

stlrtruck
11-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Then that makes it the coaches bad for not challenging it.

MasterOfPuppets
11-03-2009, 04:05 PM
i didn't see it but i'm assumming the difference is they thought he already had control of the ball BEFORE HE CROSSED THE PLAIN.
remember they got that " making a football move" thing in the rule book to establish what is catches, and incompletes