PDA

View Full Version : Bronco Fan here!

Broncofanatic79
11-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Bronco fan here,

Just wanted to stop by and chat about the upcoming match up on MNF. I'm not here to smack talk your team, or try to make you think my team is better.

I am here to see what you guys think are key match ups are, what are the main factors, etc...

I understand this is the Steelers board, so I don't expect any of you to pick Denver to win this game, or even agree with anything I state, I would just rather this NOT turn into a flame the Broncos thread.

So if you have anything you would like to discuss, I would love to have a good convo about the game. I will be here after the game as well, win or lose, but probably not until Tuesday, as I am going to the game.

Preacher
11-03-2009, 05:25 PM
As I said in another thread, this game will probably end up turning on the play of two players of the same two positions.

Ben vs. Kyle.

Sep. vs. Berger.

The first is the ability to move the ball, the second is the ability to get you out of trouble if the ball doesn't get moved.

I trust our guys over your guys for that matchup.

WindyCitySteelerFan
11-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Think the Broncos have a wonderful team. Glad they picked up Orton , I liked him in Chicago (where I live) sadly I now have to hear about Jay Cutler and his poor attitude every day now .

I will say, your schedule has been bad to you, in respect to put the two most brutal AFC teams at you within two weeks. Obviously anything is possible, as I never thought the Steelers could ever lose to the current Bears team, and we did.. but, be prepared for quite a fight!

Broncofanatic79
11-03-2009, 05:29 PM
As I said in another thread, this game will probably end up turning on the play of two players of the same two positions.

Ben vs. Kyle.

Sep. vs. Berger.

The first is the ability to move the ball, the second is the ability to get you out of trouble if the ball doesn't get moved.

I trust our guys over your guys for that matchup.

I really wish we would have kept Kern, Berger is just awful, so I think you guys definitely have the advantage in that aspect :doh:

However, I don't think it is really the Ben vs. Kyle match up I am worried about, I think it has to do with the play of the Offensive Line. Kyle needs an offensive line to be really effective, and the Ravens tore apart our line last week. So hopefully our O-line can get back to playing like its old self. We lost our starting RT in Ryan Harris, not sure what his status will be though.

Broncofanatic79
11-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Think the Broncos have a wonderful team. Glad they picked up Orton , I liked him in Chicago (where I live) sadly I now have to hear about Jay Cutler and his poor attitude every day now .

I will say, your schedule has been bad to you, in respect to put the two most brutal AFC teams at you within two weeks. Obviously anything is possible, as I never thought the Steelers could ever lose to the current Bears team, and we did.. but, be prepared for quite a fight!

Yes, unfortunately our schedule is extremely brutal. Not only do we have to play 2 great teams back to back, but this is our 3rd straight game with having to play a team coming off their bye week.

I'm sorry to hear about Cutler, It does get old :banging:

I like Orton as well, he just needs a good supporting cast to be succesful, and I do think he has that here in Denver. It is just our O-line got man handled last week, so he didn't play well. Hopefully we get our O-line back to top notch for this game, or we could be in serious trouble.

GridironWarrior
11-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Im looking forward to seeing Harrison go against Clady, hes one of the best LT in the game. Ike needs to bring his A game with Marshall.

Broncofanatic79
11-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Im looking forward to seeing Harrison go against Clady, hes one of the best LT in the game. Ike needs to bring his A game with Marshall.

I can't wait for that match up. Should be really fun to watch. Clady is an absolute beast at LT, and only is his 2nd year which is great for us. However, he hasn't played as good as he did last year, this year. Harrison will be a real match up for him, and hopefully Clady is able to keep Harrison off Orton. :grin:

pancake
11-03-2009, 05:48 PM
I have looking forward to this game for a few weeks. I must admit that I think Denver is over rated, but you guys have been winning and that is the bottom line.

Hope both teams play an injury free game. :thumbsup:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-03-2009, 05:51 PM
I think Dumervil can get by Starks, but also think Woodley is gonna dominate your backup RT. I also think Hampton is gonna be a force against the run. I dont know how the Broncos D line has done so well, but will be curious to see if our big maulers can open rushing lanes for Mendenhall.

The other interesting thing will be to see how well the Broncos can pressure Ben and the Steelers can pressure Orton. I honestly like the Steelers chances, but think McDaniels will try a lot of short 3 and 5 step drop passes to keep Orton clean and avoid the rush.

Broncofanatic79
11-03-2009, 05:51 PM
I have looking forward to this game for a few weeks. I must admit that I think Denver is over rated, but you guys have been winning and that is the bottom line.

Hope both teams play an injury free game. :thumbsup:

Most people do think we are overrated, but that just adds more fuel to the fire I guess. I for one did not see us going into this game 6-1, and having a shot at coming out with a W.

I agree tho, an injury free game, and a fun to watch game would be excellent! :drink:

WindyCitySteelerFan
11-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Most people do think we are overrated, but that just adds more fuel to the fire I guess. I for one did not see us going into this game 6-1, and having a shot at coming out with a W.

I agree tho, an injury free game, and a fun to watch game would be excellent! :drink:

After seeing the off season antics, who would've thought ?

Right... Any given Sunday.

or Monday...

Broncofanatic79
11-03-2009, 05:54 PM
I think Dumervil can get by Starks, but also think Woodley is gonna dominate your backup RT. I also think Hampton is gonna be a force against the run. I dont know how the Broncos D line has done so well, but will be curious to see if our big maulers can open rushing lanes for Mendenhall.

The other interesting thing will be to see how well the Broncos can pressure Ben and the Steelers can pressure Orton. I honestly like the Steelers chances, but think McDaniels will try a lot of short 3 and 5 step drop passes to keep Orton clean and avoid the rush.

I hope, Elvis got shut down last week. Polombus isn't that bad of a RT, but he is indeed a back up and hasn't seen a lot of playing time, but he isn't a typical back up, he could start on a lot of teams. However, I do agree Woodley will probably win the match up, so we may need to stick two on him to that side, not sure, we will see.

McD has a tendency to run it up the middle, which hasn't been working, hopefully he doesn't try it consistently this week.

I like Denvers chances because we are at home, and coming off a bad loss, but in no way will this game be easy.

steel striker
11-03-2009, 05:57 PM
This should be a great game and, I think it comes down who wins in the trenches. Your team has done well this year especially with all that drama that was going on. Good luck...

solardave
11-03-2009, 05:58 PM

Now we're talking defense and that is what it comes down to here I think. I don't look for a high scoring game and I agree it's not between Ben /Kyle unless it goes down to the wire. In that case I'll take Ben over anyone out there.

Broncofanatic79
11-03-2009, 05:59 PM
This should be a great game and, I think it comes down who wins in the trenches. Your team has done well this year especially with all that drama that was going on. Good luck...

You are absolutely right. The trenches will be a HUGE factor in the game.

To an injury free, good fought game! :drink:

Broncofanatic79
11-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Just wanted to say welcome aboard. It should be a good solid football game.

Thank you. :wave:

pancake
11-03-2009, 06:13 PM
In my opinion, I think if Pittsburgh does not turn it over more than once they win. Multi trunovers equals teams out a lot. Either way I see a close game in Denver.

Broncofanatic79
11-03-2009, 06:15 PM
In my opinion, I think if Pittsburgh does not turn it over more than once they win. Multi trunovers equals teams out a lot. Either way I see a close game in Denver.

As do I. I think that if we want to win this game, we HAVE to win the turnover battle, and like you said I don't see a blowout on either side.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-03-2009, 06:26 PM
I still just dont see it. IF the Steelers play like they did in SD, then its a blowout. If they play like they did in Detroit, they lose.

I just cant see how the Broncos defense is defending the run so well with that bunch of castoffs, but they held the Ravens to 125 yards rushing. I just think we should see at least that kind of rushing game and Ben should get his yardage in the passing game. Ryan McBean vs Willie Colon???? I take that every week!!!

cubanstogie
11-03-2009, 06:32 PM
It will be interesting to see if Ike can shut down Marshall like he does frequently against great receivers. I don't like Marshall at all but he looks like TO with better hands. I don't see Denver running but will try to get their RB's the ball on screens and swing passes, which could be where we are vulnerable do to our penetration by LB's. Champ will probably shut down or contain Holmes so I look for Wallace to continue to step up when called upon. Can't wait.

Nadroj 20
11-03-2009, 06:36 PM
It will be interesting to see if Ike can shut down Marshall like he does frequently against great receivers. I don't like Marshall at all but he looks like TO with better hands. I don't see Denver running but will try to get their RB's the ball on screens and swing passes, which could be where we are vulnerable do to our penetration by LB's. Champ will probably shut down or contain Holmes so I look for Wallace to continue to step up when called upon. Can't wait.

Yes, Wallace could have a big game and i think he will. I think our leading recievers for this game could be Heeeeath and Wallace.

Not that holmes and ward wont do anything but they will probably be keyed on more and that could open things up to wallace and heath.

tony hipchest
11-03-2009, 06:47 PM
the biggest advantage for denver is the potential loss of ryan clark.

the biggest matchup is the youngest head coach vs. the oldest assistant coach. it is not going to take much past a quarter of play for the broncos to realize that trying to run on the steelers defense is futile (hell, we forced the vikings out of their dominant run game).

the steelers have faced a josh mcdaniels offense twice in the past 2 years. cassell was supposedly one of the hottest quarterbacks in the league last season when we faced, having like 4 straight 300+ yd passing games. steelers absolutely pummeled him.

ryan clark delivered the KO punch to welker trying to go across the middle. the previous year mcdaniels had the record setting brady and the steelers were short handed at safety. brady picked them apart and even pulled an old steeler trick play out of the playbook. the gameplan their was to attack the steelers safeties.

i expect mcdaniels to go to the trick play well again, but it will fail (like it almost did in a randy moss fumble 2 years ago). like gonzo said, i also expect the short drops and quick passes. i think the denver will try to attack clarks back-up, feeling a sense of security.

while polamalu isnt the enforcer that clark is, he is our one secondary member who will appear out of nowhere and create a turnover. you guys will see a different troy than has been put on tape the past few games.

orton will see openings that quickly close. i see orton looking more like cassell in this one as opposed to brady. i think josh will call plays as if he has brady.

i expect atleast one play where harrison and woodley line up and rush from the same side as polumbus. its a nice little wrinkle lebeau likes to throw in every once and a while.

AllD
11-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Expect the unexpected. Denver cannot keep their same game plan and expect to win under normal circumstances since their dink and dunk has been figured out. Just keep the receivers in front and stop their RB.

The game will come down to whoever wins the turnover battle. If that is equal, then time of possession and running yards.

steelreserve
11-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Key matchup is Parker vs. the bench.

If the bench wins, so do the Steelers this year.

devilsdancefloor
11-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Welcome to the board!

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Yeah, if Clark doesnt play (and I dont think he will)....that is a potential big downgrade to either Carter or Ratliff. I still think its all predicated on pressuring Orton to shut down the deep ball, but really think McDaniels is gonna look to use Royal in the slot often with short passes.

Broncofanatic79
11-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Yeah, if Clark doesnt play (and I dont think he will)....that is a potential big downgrade to either Carter or Ratliff. I still think its all predicated on pressuring Orton to shut down the deep ball, but really think McDaniels is gonna look to use Royal in the slot often with short passes.

I don't know that much about Clark. Will him not playing really be that big of a factor?

Nadroj 20
11-03-2009, 10:48 PM
I don't know that much about Clark. Will him not playing really be that big of a factor?

Yea i think so, he is much better then any of the backups we will put in. Plus he could knock a guy silly with as hard as he hits lol, hes a tough FS and we will miss him, however im not going to say 'We woulda won if clark played' if we should lose (which hopefully wont happen haha)

eafratitpm3
11-04-2009, 12:13 AM
I think it will come down to Ike against Marshall, I hope I eat my words but as a long time Steeler fan I see Ike as the Chad Scott of old. He consistantly doesn't get his head around and more often than not it's the receivers dropping the ball more than him making a play. I do however think our O will move the ball on Denver. Being a long time Steeler fan I come to expect a close game every week so I see this coming down to the wire. As I live here in Colorado Springs I'm taking a lot of flack this week as you can imagine but I'm sporting the Black and Gold everyday this week, actually maybe a little more than usual, lol. GO STEELERS!!!

MasterOfPuppets
11-04-2009, 01:00 AM
haha...enjoying your berger ? ....:finger:

tony hipchest
11-04-2009, 01:13 AM
I don't know that much about Clark. Will him not playing really be that big of a factor?lamarr woodley talked about ryan clark today on his weekly spot on sirius.

basically, what he said, is clark is always out looking to make the kill shot and he dont care about any collateral damage taken along the way.

woodley then described a play in the opener vs. tennessee, where clark was coming in, and how he dove out of the way, to avoid a potential (friendly fire) hit.

the host (some dude named marty shottenheimer) said he knew exactly which play woodley was talking about and said that it was one of the hardest licks he has ever witnessed.

if that is not enough evidence, just as wes welker or willis mcgahee.

put it this way, ive seen troy polamalu sacrifice his body and lay some wicked assed hits many of times, which is nice. clark is still the enforcer.

he literally wants to kill people and get fined for it.

Preacher
11-04-2009, 01:26 AM
he literally wants to kill people Legally and get fined for it.

Fixed :thumbsup:

(after, with Ray the knife there last week, we gotta be more specific when we say kill).

tony hipchest
11-04-2009, 01:35 AM
Fixed :thumbsup:

(after, with Ray the knife there last week, we gotta be more specific when we say kill).

good call. clark is really a nice guy who just wants to absolutely blast people in stadiums on sunday.... or monday... or sunday.. or thursday... or any other day the nfl wishes to schedule a game.

he is the only player ive heard this year to admit he is disappointed to not yet have the opportunity to "earn" a fine.

*please steelers,find a way to re-sign this dude*

rbryan
11-04-2009, 01:58 AM
I would like to see him play this week, but no one could question him if he doesn't.

Theres a lot of "tough guys" in the NFL, but RC gets my vote for hardest hitter these days. Every opposing WR is looking for him first, ball 2nd now.

I agree.....gotta resign him.

Preacher
11-04-2009, 02:13 AM
good call. clark is really a nice guy who just wants to absolutely blast people in stadiums on sunday.... or monday... or sunday.. or thursday... or any other day the nfl wishes to schedule a game.

he is the only player ive heard this year to admit he is disappointed to not yet have the opportunity to "earn" a fine.

*please steelers,find a way to re-sign this dude*

That is a HILARIOUS statement by him. And yes, he REALLY needs to be resigned.

with him in, I am not sure of a better CB tandem in the NFL.

Steelers & I
11-04-2009, 03:17 AM
Yeah, it will definitely be a significant downgrade without Clark in there. Hopefully someone besides Tyrone Carter fills the void. I hate Tyrone Carter. Carter absolutely blows in pass defense. Did I mention that I hate Tyrone Carter? If there ever should be a thread indicating in the title that a coach or player "sucks", then it should start with "Tyrone Carter." I hate Tyrone Carter. :banging::banging::banging:

Galax Steeler
11-04-2009, 04:41 AM

:toofunny: That is one cat I don't miss from the Steelers.:rofl:

Steelers & I
11-04-2009, 06:08 AM
No disrespect to the Broncos fan in the house but, truth be told, when the rubber meets the road, I fully expect that the Steelers will win this game with relative ease. I'm not the least bit sold on the Broncos as a legitimate AFC front runner. In fact, I view them as an absolute fraud. :wave:

Texasteel
11-04-2009, 06:42 AM

Denver must think they are awfully good to be able to take on that kind of a handicap.

HometownGal
11-04-2009, 07:17 AM
Denver must think they are awfully good to be able to take on that kind of a handicap.

Or incredibly desperate.

steelballs
11-04-2009, 08:55 AM
I really wish we would have kept Kern, Berger is just awful, so I think you guys definitely have the advantage in that aspect :doh:

However, I don't think it is really the Ben vs. Kyle match up I am worried about, I think it has to do with the play of the Offensive Line. Kyle needs an offensive line to be really effective, and the Ravens tore apart our line last week. So hopefully our O-line can get back to playing like its old self. We lost our starting RT in Ryan Harris, not sure what his status will be though.

I think your offensive line and the injury to Harris will be huge in this game.
I see Mendenhall and the Steeler running attack really stepping up this week.

If the Steelers control the line of scrimmage, this could be a long day for the Broncos.

stlrtruck
11-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Welcome to the board. I believe this matchup will be won by the play of the O-line for both teams. While the broncos have been tough on defense, I think the game against the ratbirds gave them a view of a similar defense they'll be facing this week. The hardest part is that our strengths from our defense are in different positions (example Troy Polamalu SS vs Ed Reed FS). I also believe that our outside rush is better than that of the ratbirds.

As for the broncos, I believe that their running game is going to be what keeps them in the game. I don't believe Orton is that great of a QB and feel that if we can get pressure early and often he will be unstable the entire game. I don't think he's developed the skillsets to recover from early mistakes (but maybe I'm wrong).

Here's how I see the team's measuring up by position

QB: Ben vs. Orton - advantage Steelers
RB: Mendenhall, Parker, Moore vs. Buckhalter, Moreno, Hillis - advantage goes to the O-line that steps up but in this case I'd have to say broncos
WR: Ward, Holmes, Wallace, McDonald vs. Marshall, Lloyd, Royal, Stokley - advantage Steelers
TE: Miller, Spaeth vs. Graham, Quinn - advantage Steelers
O-line: advantage broncos
Def Front: advantage Steelers
LBers: advantage Steelers
DB: advantage Troy Polamalu, I mean Steelers
ST(non-punting): advantage broncos
ST(punting): advantage Steelers

Just my 2 cents.

Steelers & I
11-10-2009, 10:55 AM
No disrespect to the Broncos fan in the house but, truth be told, when the rubber meets the road, I fully expect that the Steelers will win this game with relative ease. I'm not the least bit sold on the Broncos as a legitimate AFC front runner. In fact, I view them as an absolute fraud. :wave:

The Broncos are who we thought they were. :toofunny:

markymarc
11-10-2009, 12:48 PM
That is now 2 straight weeks where the Broncos got exposed as frauds! I refuse to buy into their hype.

fansince'76
11-10-2009, 12:53 PM
I will be here after the game as well, win or lose, but probably not until Tuesday, as I am going to the game.

So, where ya at?

Steelers & I
11-10-2009, 02:22 PM
So, where ya at?

lol :drink:, Broncofanatic79 is who we thought he was. :tt04::tt02::tt::tt03::tt02:

California-Steel
11-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Give him time. Tuesday is not over yet.

Indo
11-10-2009, 02:52 PM
He seems respectable. He'll be back.
At least wait until the work day is over...

SteelersMomma
11-10-2009, 03:03 PM
I was at that game last night and I have to say the bronco's fans talk a lot of freaking trash. That was until the last 10 mins of the game when they all started to leave the stadium. I was glad to see all the steelers fans were very respectful (at least everyone around me). It's pretty amusing the announcer there talked just as much crap as everyone else did.

AllD
11-10-2009, 04:09 PM
After losing two in a row it's time for Orton to shave or put on a bag.

xvdougl
11-10-2009, 05:01 PM
I was at that game last night and I have to say the bronco's fans talk a lot of freaking trash. That was until the last 10 mins of the game when they all started to leave the stadium. I was glad to see all the steelers fans were very respectful (at least everyone around me). It's pretty amusing the announcer there talked just as much crap as everyone else did.

Wish I could have been at the game but I along with most Steeler faithful had to watch from the tube. I noticed that everytime the Steelers had an incomplete pass the crowd would chant something. Then there was this muted trumpet "wah wah wah wahhhh" sound effect. Were you able to tell what it was they were chanting? I was curious what it was. I noticed they kind of gave up on it at the end of the game LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

If we play like that against the Bugles Sunday we'll dust them too!! :tt04:

Indo
11-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Wish I could have been at the game but I along with most Steeler faithful had to watch from the tube. I noticed that everytime the Steelers had an incomplete pass the crowd would chant something. Then there was this muted trumpet "wah wah wah wahhhh" sound effect. Were you able to tell what it was they were chanting? I was curious what it was. I noticed they kind of gave up on it at the end of the game LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

If we play like that against the Bugles Sunday we'll dust them too!! :tt04:

After an incomplete pass the Donkey's fans say "IN-COM-PLETE"
Silly, isn't it?

SteelersMomma
11-10-2009, 05:16 PM
After an incomplete pass the Donkey's fans say "IN-COM-PLETE"
Silly, isn't it?

yep thats what they chanted each time they also would say "get out of our house" :toofunny:

Of course a bunch of us Steeler fans decided that we would say the "IN-COM-PLETE" when they messed up as well.. of course a few bronco fans didn't approve but after all the junk they were saying it was well worth the laugh :).

xvdougl
11-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Well now that we put them in their place I hope they win the AFC West because I hate San Diego dolts! That has got to the biggest pack of blowhards in the NFL (of course that's all they can do because it's not like they've actually done anything)!!!!

fansince'76
11-11-2009, 12:40 PM
I will be here after the game as well, win or lose, but probably not until Tuesday, as I am going to the game.

Once again, where ya at?

devilsdancefloor
11-11-2009, 12:45 PM
you broke him! he was the guy sitting behind you!:wink02:

SteelMember
11-11-2009, 12:54 PM
:chuckle:

You guys still bumping this thread.

Listen. They're not coming back anytime soon. Not only are they still licking their wounds because of the game they lost, they are probably still milling around the stadium trying to figure out where it was all those Steelers fans came from.

:rofl:

:tt04:
THE Nation!

revefsreleets
11-12-2009, 09:55 AM

What is the fascination with Denver QB's growing a Grizzly Adams beard? It didn't work for Jake Plummer, and sure ain't working for Kyle Orton...

Angus Burgher
11-12-2009, 11:56 AM

No, he should keep the beard. Dude looks like Beaker from The Muppet Show when he's clean shaven.

GoSlash27
11-12-2009, 08:42 PM
I ain't about to call out Broncofanatic in this thread. He didn't talk any smack and conducted himself with class.
Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you'll give us a visit from time to time! :hatsoff:

markymarc
11-13-2009, 03:27 PM
What is the fascination with Denver QB's growing a Grizzly Adams beard? It didn't work for Jake Plummer, and sure ain't working for Kyle Orton...

So very true. Maybe that's why Cutler got shipped to Chicago since he decided not to grow a grizzly adams beard :chuckle: