PDA

View Full Version : Steve Young at it again on MNF

LVSteelersfan
11-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Did anyone notice the indirect shots that the retard was taking at Ben again last night? What a douchenozzle. (love that term whoever came up with it) He was slobbering all over Brees, Manning and Brady and even pretty much said that Ben was the product of coming onto a good team and is nowhere near as good as Matt Ryan. These jerks just get my blood boiling sometimes. Ben has been absolutely faking defenses out of their shorts this year and was second in the league in passing after last week. Yet he still gets no respect. Matt Ryan couldn't carry Ben's jock, never mind be thought of as better than him. Even players like Joe Flacco have shown much more potential than Matt Ryan has shown. Ryan folds under pressure. Ben does not.

I must say I do like listening to Chucky as an announcer. He is really good at it. He is the only one on ESPN I can stomach. And we have to listen to those jerks this coming Monday unfortunately.

GridironWarrior
11-03-2009, 08:30 PM
I never liked Young, even as a player. He's probably jealous cause Ben in his young career already has 2 while it took Young a life time, salary cap back breaking moves to buy him a Super Bowl that one year. That' fine when it' said and done Ben will always been known as a winner.

Edman
11-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Yeah, I heard that. Young indirectly said Ben was the product of a good team.

How quickly people forget how bad the Steelers were in 2003. They were getting old on defense, the secondary was awful and we were completely unsure at QB. Maddox was not the answer.

In 2004, they had a completely unimpressive win at home against Oakland, and went into Baltimore (10-6 the year before and had SB aspirations) the next week and got their doors blown off. Maddox got hurt, Ben came in and the rest is history.

fansince'76
11-03-2009, 08:34 PM
I don't get it - he had nothing but accolades for Ben after the SB. :noidea:

9RaOzc4jhnA

I didn't hear his comments last night, but saying Ryan is better than Ben is laughable.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
11-03-2009, 08:45 PM
And it was Young who was dwelling in the USFL and Tampa Bay organization until he was lucky enough to find his way onto the (remaining parts of the) team of the 80s.

tony hipchest
11-03-2009, 08:52 PM

I didn't hear his comments last night, but saying Ryan is better than Ben is laughable.on the whole, steelerfans hate any writer, talking head, mediot, game announcer who doesnt show the complete and unashamed bias of merrill hoge. only tunch, bill hilgrove, and the late great myron cope, receive a pass for being the slightest bit critical.

remember the backlash last year when bill cowher said the bengals were a team to watch and predicted they would make the playoffs this year? :scratchchin:

if he wasnt out of town before then, he certainly woulda been run out for that accurate assessment.

i like steve young (although i did find his comments about ryan a bit over the top).

i like flacco better than ryan.

LVSteelersfan
11-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Brees will do his annual flakeout this year when playoff time comes. The defenses kick it up a notch. He will not be up to the task to counter it. He has never proven to be Mr. Prime Time. Manning is all world this year. Brady, not so much other than one game in the snow. Brady just looks out of sorts to me and is not as accurate as in the past. It takes a good two years to recover from that injury and it shows. Put the pressure on him and he is hardly the world beater that Young claims him to be this year. He can't step into his throws like usual and that has made his accuracy subpar at times. Ben makes those stupid mistakes occasionally which will always make him underrated by the lemmings in the media. We don't care because we know better. I just ONCE would like to hear something good about Ben by the media. This year Peyton Manning is on fire so it might not be a repeat year. Brees and Brady will not take their teams all the way. Write it down.

Steelerfreak58
11-03-2009, 09:12 PM
None of the talking heads matter. The rings do the talking. Ben has 2 and plenty of potential for more to come. This team is getting better as the season is progressing the O-Line looks like it has really improved over last year and we did win a SB with them. Haters love to hate Steelers love to win. :tt03:

Steelers & I
11-03-2009, 10:28 PM
Damn, Ben doesn't even get a break during his bye week. I guess out of sight out of mind doesn't apply to Roethlisberger.

Let them talk, they're always juicing up those NFC teams as if they're something special, yes even Favre and the Vikings, as if he's done anything other than hit one miracle play this season. I don't give NFC QB's or teams a second look. $hit just 3 weeks ago ESPN had already crowned the Giants A$$ES. Put the NFC's best up against an upper echelon AFC team and we all know what the end result will be, AFC DOMINANCE! I hope that Brees and the Saints do make it to the Super Bowl so the world can watch Ben Roethlisberger and our Steelers kick the $hit out of them.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l13/bkakers/mole.jpg

Brees, please!

tony hipchest
11-03-2009, 10:44 PM
what is funny is p. maiining has been applauded for having his best season EVER this year. p. manning is even better than p. manning, and he is already the front runner for MVP (his 4th).

his year has been describes as remarkable, unbelievable, and amazing. "how could the great p. manning possibly top himself.

yet, ben has been right there with him as far as stats are concerned, and not a word. :coffee:

it is ben and peyton who are in the running to break kenny andersons season completion % record of 72+%.

yet you only hear how peyton could break it. BTW... who is bens qb coach?

i thought so.

thats allright though. would peyton ever have made "the tackle" against the colts in '05? i doubt it. constantly being in all the big dogs shadow just adds fuel to bens fire, and he thrives on being overlooked. his focus on the "when all is said and done, lombardis are the only thing that matters" endgame is what pushes him up there with the elite.

stb_steeler
11-03-2009, 10:59 PM

9RaOzc4jhnA

I didn't hear his comments last night, but saying Ryan is better than Ben is laughable.

Damn it now i had to watch all the youtube videos.........:chuckle:

Shea
11-03-2009, 11:58 PM
I think most of the time the analysts are just trying to fill air time and therefore will flip-flop from game to game and week to week depending on who is hot and who is currently in the "feature" games of the week.

A bonus would be if Ben heard Young's comments because he seems to be fueled by people that doubt him or discredit his accomplishments. Tell Ben he sucks, and he'll answer with a big game and that's a win-win for us Steelers fans.

I agree. I think Flacco is not only a solid young quarterback, but one who will only get better. It will make for some great divisional games for years to come. I see lots of Steelers/Ravens games in the future with tons of added nasty and bite, with Flacco holding his own. Can't wait! :tt02:

rbryan
11-04-2009, 12:06 AM
Steve Young still drops the soap on purpose at every opportunity.....who gives a sh!t what he thinks.

SY and Randy Cross should just go back to San Fran and buy a house together already

Steelers & I
11-04-2009, 12:39 AM
what is funny is p. maiining has been applauded for having his best season EVER this year. p. manning is even better than p. manning, and he is already the front runner for MVP (his 4th).

his year has been describes as remarkable, unbelievable, and amazing. "how could the great p. manning possibly top himself.

yet, ben has been right there with him as far as stats are concerned, and not a word. :coffee:

it is ben and peyton who are in the running to break kenny andersons season completion % record of 72+%.

yet you only hear how peyton could break it. BTW... who is bens qb coach?

i thought so.

thats allright though. would peyton ever have made "the tackle" against the colts in '05? i doubt it. constantly being in all the big dogs shadow just adds fuel to bens fire, and he thrives on being overlooked. his focus on the "when all is said and done, lombardis are the only thing that matters" endgame is what pushes him up there with the elite.

Right on, and we all know what the great Peyton Manning does under duress, he folds up like a newspaper. :sissies:

T.Richardson
11-04-2009, 01:14 AM
I dont understand Youngs lovefest for Ryan, he said that Ryan is having the best sophmore year ever.. um, Flacco statistically is having the best sophmore year this year.

Flacco: 165-250, 66%, 1849 yds, 12 TDs, 5 int, 95.6 QB rating.

Ryan: 139-233, 59.7%, 1649 yds, 12 TDs, 9 int, 82.4 QB rating

Flacco Projection: 377-571, 4226 yds, 27 TDs, 11 int,

Ryans Projection: 318-533, 3769 yds, 27 TDs, 21 int

Flacco > Ryan in terms of Sophmore seasons..

solardave
11-04-2009, 03:53 AM
on the whole, steelerfans hate any writer, talking head, mediot, game announcer who doesnt show the complete and unashamed bias of merrill hoge. only tunch, bill hilgrove, and the late great myron cope, receive a pass for being the slightest bit critical.

remember the backlash last year when bill cowher said the bengals were a team to watch and predicted they would make the playoffs this year? :scratchchin:

if he wasnt out of town before then, he certainly woulda been run out for that accurate assessment.

i like steve young (although i did find his comments about ryan a bit over the top).

Let's face it.When you have the success we've had with 6 rings people are going to say stupid stuff like that. There are a lot of guys announcing right now who were better as players. Just because you had God given athletic ability doesn't mean that you are intelligent. I'm not going to mention names because we all have at least one we think shouldn't be in the booth. And I agree with Tony,you don't mess with the Towel man.:tt:

Texasteel
11-04-2009, 07:07 AM
Right on, and we all know what the great Peyton Manning does under duress, he folds up like a newspaper. :sissies:

Have you ever tried to refold a newspaper after you've read it. Manning folds up much easier than that. He will put himself away as well.

HometownGal
11-04-2009, 07:19 AM
Steve Young still drops the soap on purpose at every opportunity.....who gives a sh!t what he thinks.

SY and Randy Cross should just go back to San Fran and buy a house together already

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

I respected Young as a player but I think his virginity being taken on his wedding night at the age of 39 somehow screwed up his head (the one on his shoulders) :screwy: :chuckle:

steelballs
11-04-2009, 08:05 AM
I think Ben performs better when cast aside. The Steelers perform better as underdogs.
The Steelers have always been considered the unglamorous step children of the NFL and that's just fine with me.
The truth of the matter is that we have 6 Lombardis in the burg' and the rest of the league can only look up at what we've accomplished as a TEAM....who cares about individual accomplishments or who's a better media darling.

BTW: Young is a smart guy, but his Steeler jealousy runs deep.

stlrtruck
11-04-2009, 08:34 AM
Well, Ben will have a great opportunity to make him rethink his assessment come this Monday night.

Tankus_Maximus
11-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Forget that puto Steve Young!

This nonsense he was spewing can be directly attributed to the brain damage he incurred as a result of all those concussions!

F*(! THAT PUTO!!!

tyler289
11-04-2009, 09:33 AM
People are still enamored with Ryan's freshman season and fail to see he isn't playing well this season. Flacco is out performing him with worse targets to throw to.

Young's argument about Ryan - that he came onto a terrible, terrible team and made it a playoff team as a rookie and it's remarkable that he did - isn't completely off-base, but I don't see how you can call Ryan the best 2nd year QB ever (which I'm pretty sure he did) when you had Ben win a SB his 2nd year (right? I'm pretty sure it was his second season) and Flacco out-playing him right now.

fansince'76
11-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Young's argument about Ryan - that he came onto a terrible, terrible team and made it a playoff team as a rookie and it's remarkable that he did - isn't completely off-base, but I don't see how you can call Ryan the best 2nd year QB ever (which I'm pretty sure he did) when you had Ben win a SB his 2nd year (right? I'm pretty sure it was his second season) and Flacco out-playing him right now.

Sure, and Michael Turner's 1,700-yard, 17-TD season had absolutely nothing to do with the Falcons' resurgence last year. It was all Ryan. Hasn't one of the naysayers' main arguments against Ben all along been that he's always had a kickass running game "propping him up?" :rolleyes:

tyler289
11-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Sure, and Michael Turner's 1,700-yard, 17-TD season had absolutely nothing to do with the Falcons' resurgence last year. It was all Ryan. Hasn't one of the naysayers' main arguments against Ben all along been that he's always had a kickass running game "propping him up?" :rolleyes:

Oh, believe me, I absolutely agree with you. But Ryan had a huge role in the change of attitude and culture there after the whole Vick thing. I will give him that.

Matt Ryan did no more than Big Ben in his rookie season, or Joe Flacco for that matter.

People just love him because his numbers were solid last year and the Falcons were a surprise team.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-04-2009, 11:23 AM
Steve Young isn't very off in saying that Ryan had more to do as a rookie QB in turning a team around than Big Ben did.

The Falcons were a complete mess when they drafted Ryan. They had the Vick mess, Petrino had left with a few games left the season before, and it was looking like Ryan was going to start.

Did anybody know who Roddy White was before last season? Everyone was calling him a bust.

When Ben came to Pittsburgh we came off of a 6-10 season (a lot of that bad season had to do with offensive line injuries leaving Maddox no time to throw). Our defense wasn't the dominating unit that it was last season, but it was still a damn good unit. Ward and Burress were both established receivers. The offensive line was good. And we ran the ball 60% of the time that season.

But as for the comments on Ryan having the best second season ever, I wouldn't agree. Flacco is putting up some good stats in Baltimore (with worse targets) and you also have to remember Ben won the Super Bowl in his second season.

SteelMember
11-04-2009, 11:40 AM
on the whole, steelerfans hate any writer, talking head, mediot, game announcer who doesnt show the complete and unashamed bias of merrill hoge.

That's why I can't stand guys like Jaworski, McGuire, Dierdorf or Collinsworth? huh.

I thought it was because they can't keep their damn yappers shut while I'm tying to watch the game. If your going to add color commentary to the broadcast, at least tell me something I can't already see for myself. Gruden at least breaks the play down into coaching terminology, which I find interesting. Jaworski is too busy defending the league/rules to even give an honest assesment of a play.

Oh, believe me, I absolutely agree with you. But Ryan had a huge role in the change of attitude and culture there after the whole Vick thing. I will give him that.

Matt Ryan did no more than Big Ben in his rookie season, or Joe Flacco for that matter.

People just love him because his numbers were solid last year and the Falcons were a surprise team.

Matt Ryan is a good QB. I can't bag on him because some media idiot is singing his praises too loudly. The guy brings it every day and is a hard worker. Do I think he's better than Ben? No, but he can be good and if we didn't have Ben, I'd take him on our team. Seriously, before Ben was in the mix, there's are a lot of guys I would take. We didn't have sh!t...and that's where the falcons were. They made a good choice imo.

Oh, as far as big Bens rookie season...I think 15-1 is going to be tough to beat for anyone.

Dino 6 Rings
11-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Steve Young can shut his Stupid Mouth. He had the Priveledge of learning from one of the Greatest QBs of all time, was lucky enough to Win it all against a Mediocre and very lucky in the playoffs San Diego Team, and until that moment CHOKED in all his big games.

He NEVER should have gotten into the Hall of Fame as a first Ballot Guy, especially didn't deserve to go into the HOF the same years as Dan Marino. He couldn't hold Marino's jock.

Steve Young is 21st all time In passing behind Phil Simms. He's 20th all time in TDs behind George Blanda and Len Dawson and Jim Kelly. As far as I'm concerned he was an OK QB, that Played on a Great Team, that played in a Horrible Division for years and snuck into the role when Montana got "hurt" and didn't deserve to run the Legend out of town.

The fact that brain dead moron has the nerve to talk down Ben's greatness just shows his own feelings of inadequacy

AllD
11-04-2009, 01:00 PM
I dont understand Youngs lovefest for Ryan, he said that Ryan is having the best sophmore year ever.. um, Flacco statistically is having the best sophmore year this year.

Flacco: 165-250, 66%, 1849 yds, 12 TDs, 5 int, 95.6 QB rating.

Ryan: 139-233, 59.7%, 1649 yds, 12 TDs, 9 int, 82.4 QB rating

Flacco Projection: 377-571, 4226 yds, 27 TDs, 11 int,

Ryans Projection: 318-533, 3769 yds, 27 TDs, 21 int

Flacco > Ryan in terms of Sophmore seasons..

BB had a pretty good sophmore year too and he is rarely mentioned, good or bad anymore.

The_WARDen
11-04-2009, 01:11 PM
People are still enamored with Ryan's freshman season and fail to see he isn't playing well this season. Flacco is out performing him with worse targets to throw to.

didn't Marino throw for 48 TDs and go to the SB in his 2nd year also?

LVSteelersfan
11-04-2009, 03:52 PM
I am certainly not trashing Matt Ryan. I am trashing Steve Young. Ryan is a good QB. But to say he had one of the greatest first years ever and he is having one of the best sophomore seasons ever is absolutely retarded. Ben's first year he went undefeated as a QB. With Maddox we would have been lucky to win 10 games. Second year he wins a Super Bowl. Atlanta won't sniff a Super Bowl and probably won't even make the playoffs. These guys are retards.

Angus Burgher
11-05-2009, 01:33 AM
I don't understand how all of these guys can say that Ryan or Flacco or whoever had a better rookie season than Ben, regardless of who joined the better team. Ben never lost a regular season game as a rookie. NEVER. LOST. I don't care how great the running game was that year, or how great the defense... when you're an NFL quarterback and you don't lose a game until the playoffs, you're a very good QB. And I still think that if he had started all 16 games, the Steelers would have a had a perfect regular season that year.

Steelers & I
11-05-2009, 01:42 AM
Yeah I agree that Matt Ryan is a good QB, I'm not ragging on him but screw Steve Young.

Matt Ryan is a top 3 QB. Top 3 in the league? No, top 3 in Georgia. :wink02:

Angus Burgher
11-05-2009, 09:42 AM
For some reason, I think Young is bi-polar when it comes to Big Ben. One minute he calls him a "drama queen" because he got injured, the next he gushes over his performance in the Super Bowl. And now, he cuts on him because he thinks Ryan is better.

But this is nothing new for young. The guy has popped off and made asinine statements about other players, and he's been called on it.

He's probably just frustrated because he'll forever be remembered as the Quarterback Who Wasn't Quite As Good As Joe Montana.

SteelGhost
11-05-2009, 11:10 AM
That's why I can't stand guys like Jaworski, McGuire, Dierdorf or Collinsworth? huh.

Hey SteelMember you forgot to add John Madden to that list :chuckle:

Angus Burgher
11-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Agreed, Madden is the worst. I'm SO glad he retired from commentating.

vasteeler
11-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Agreed, Madden is the worst. I'm SO glad he retired from commentating.

i seem to be in the minority here but i loved madden of course he was redundant as hell but for me that was part of his charm. I also think growing up listining to his commentary made his voice sort of nostalgic for me as an adult.

scsteeler
11-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Did anyone notice the indirect shots that the retard was taking at Ben again last night? What a douchenozzle. (love that term whoever came up with it) He was slobbering all over Brees, Manning and Brady and even pretty much said that Ben was the product of coming onto a good team and is nowhere near as good as Matt Ryan. These jerks just get my blood boiling sometimes. Ben has been absolutely faking defenses out of their shorts this year and was second in the league in passing after last week. Yet he still gets no respect. Matt Ryan couldn't carry Ben's jock, never mind be thought of as better than him. Even players like Joe Flacco have shown much more potential than Matt Ryan has shown. Ryan folds under pressure. Ben does not.

I must say I do like listening to Chucky as an announcer. He is really good at it. He is the only one on ESPN I can stomach. And we have to listen to those jerks this coming Monday unfortunately.

Young while good he benefited from a great 49er team. Let Him hate on Ben while he continues to win SB for the Steelers. It just so amazes me that they love to crown these other guys who have basically won nothing championship wise top notch and give the credit to the team and not Ben. Hell I would like to see Brady make the Browns Or Raiders a winning team since these guys are on his Slob knob list.

Angus Burgher
11-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Yeah, the "Ben only won because his team was already good" argument doesn't really hold water because they were coming off a 6-10 season. I know that they consistently had been a playoff team before that, but it doesn't change the fact that a team that doesn't even break even clearly has problems.

tube517
11-06-2009, 05:54 PM
I would agree with you but Steve Young has an anti-Steeler bias. Phil Simms compliments the Steelers and Ben when it's due but Young seems to dislike the Steelers for some reason. Maybe it's because he's jealous of Ben or he didn't want them to win a 6th Lombardi trophy to pass the niners, I don't know. Jaws will break it down better than any of them. Hoge is obviously pro Steelers but I've never seen him have a bias against a team.

on the whole, steelerfans hate any writer, talking head, mediot, game announcer who doesnt show the complete and unashamed bias of merrill hoge. only tunch, bill hilgrove, and the late great myron cope, receive a pass for being the slightest bit critical.

fansince'76
11-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Yeah, the "Ben only won because his team was already good" argument doesn't really hold water because they were coming off a 6-10 season. I know that they consistently had been a playoff team before that, but it doesn't change the fact that a team that doesn't even break even clearly has problems.

It's a BS argument. Here are the Steelers finishes in the six years immediately preceding Ben's arrival:

1998 - 7-9 finish - out of playoffs
1999 - 6-10 finish - out of playoffs
2000 - 9-7 finish - out of playoffs
2001 - 13-3 finish - AFCCG appearance
2002 - 10-5-1 finish - AFC Wildcard berth
2003 - 6-10 finish - out of playoffs

In the five full seasons (2004-08) since he was drafted? Four playoff berths out of five possible appearances (80%). Drafting Ben helped make the team better, simple as that.

tyler289
11-06-2009, 06:46 PM
didn't Marino throw for 48 TDs and go to the SB in his 2nd year also?

Yes he did. 48 TDs, 17 INT