PDA

View Full Version : question about the bye week?.........

aries4972
11-04-2009, 11:25 AM
..... heard on local am sports talk that the NFL started the bye week in 1990(that sounds about right)..... then they went on to say that in the 92-93' season each team actually had 2 bye weeks in that season. I've been watching Steeler/NFL football for close to 36yrs(i'm 38) and i dont remember a season with 2 bye weeks. Now keep in mind I was a sophmore in college at the time and most of those memories disappeared in a cloud of smoke :wink02: Does anyone else remember a season wuith 2 bye weeks?

:tt::tt::tt::tt::tt::tt:.......................... .......:tt03:

steelreserve
11-04-2009, 12:08 PM
I definitely remember a year where they had two bye weeks. But they canceled that plan because in order to make up for the longer regular season, they had to get rid of the extra week before the Super Bowl for all the hype. They just played the Super Bowl the week after the conference championships ... which I personally liked better, but for some reason it didn't go over well with the various entities within the league, so they scrapped it.

stb_steeler
11-04-2009, 04:31 PM
I definitely remember a year where they had two bye weeks. But they canceled that plan because in order to make up for the longer regular season, they had to get rid of the extra week before the Super Bowl for all the hype. They just played the Super Bowl the week after the conference championships ... which I personally liked better, but for some reason it didn't go over well with the various entities within the league, so they scrapped it.

Yep i kinda like it when they played the SB the week after the championship games. It didnt seem like forever for the SB to come. The 2 week bye didnt go over to well, you had some teams going into a bye week then 2 weeks later again.

HughC
11-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Perhaps that was where Roger Goodell got his brainstorm to expand the schedule.

Yeah, I had forgotten about that but it is true; check this out: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/1993.htm

Though I had forgotten about the year with two bye week, I do remember when the NFL was expanding and they went from 30 to 32 teams. Problem was they resuccitated the Browns but didn't add the Texans until a couple years later. The result was a few seasons with 31 teams, which meant because that was an odd number somebody had to be on a bye each and every week - including the first week of the season as well as the last week of the season.

solardave
11-05-2009, 04:22 PM

I remember that too and I also liked just one week between the playoffs and the SB. Two weeks is ok if you're team isn't playing but if the Steelers play I want to see the game NOW!

HometownGal
11-06-2009, 07:33 PM
But they canceled that plan because in order to make up for the longer regular season, they had to get rid of the extra week before the Super Bowl for all the hype.

It's all about the moola. Both the host city and the NFL make a king's ransom in that 2 weeks period between the AFC/NFC Championship games and the Super Bowl.