PDA

View Full Version : NFL's Most Clutch QBs

The_WARDen
11-04-2009, 02:25 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AolyAdXT7jYrxaj5K.LAZWI5nYcB?slug=ys-forbesclutchqb110309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

revefsreleets
11-04-2009, 02:39 PM
PUKE!

Yet another list with that overrated whinebaby at the top of it....

Steelboy84
11-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Over a career, I would go with Manning as of now.

But as far as "currently clutch", Ben all the way.

Doesn't get any better than having to do it in the Super bowl behind the worst offensive line (which was last year, not this one) in SB history.

Shoes
11-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Who cares....let's just add ring #7 to the inventory.

austinfrench76
11-04-2009, 04:27 PM
I would go with Ben all the way based on his heroics in big games, not just comebacks. Anybody can be clutch in the regular season. Every week there's a QB that brings their team from behind but Ben does it when it matters. Manning, until he got his 1 SB ring, was constantly questioned about his "clutchness". Brady is a great QB but has generally had superb talent surrounding him. I will admit though if Tom Terrific does it this year, it will be a great feat! There D is terrible and their offense is beatable! #7 Big Ben all the way!!!!

stb_steeler
11-04-2009, 04:42 PM
ClutchBerger all the way

HometownGal
11-04-2009, 04:55 PM
As much as I have come to dislike the Favre au Drama, he belongs at the top of that list with Ben holding strong at #2 imho.

Baby Eli at #3? :jawdrop: What the hell is this guy smokin'?

Phillip Rivers at #5 who doesn't make a hair follice on Drew Brees' cute ass? :jawdrop:

SteelC7
11-04-2009, 05:26 PM
manning is not clutch at all, maybe eli is somewhat, but not peyton, he has 1 super bowl win, and the mvp of that game should have been dominic rhodes or rex grossman, peyton is a tv star, not a clutch QB, his postseason career sucks, since the super bowl he hasnt won a playoff game, and before that he only won a few

Nadroj 20
11-04-2009, 05:30 PM
manning is not clutch at all, maybe eli is somewhat, but not peyton, he has 1 super bowl win, and the mvp of that game should have been dominic rhodes or rex grossman, peyton is a tv star, not a clutch QB, his postseason career sucks, since the super bowl he hasnt won a playoff game, and before that he only won a few

:yikes:

Really? peyton is the only QB in the league i would even put up against ben at being the most clutch.

Crow-Magnon
11-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Over a career, I would go with Manning as of now.

But as far as "currently clutch", Ben all the way.

Doesn't get any better than having to do it in the Super bowl behind the worst offensive line (which was last year, not this one) in SB history.

It pains me to say it, but looking at it objectively, when you need a score late in a big game, when it really counts and all bets are off, I'd go with Roethlisberger over Manning any day.

Trust me- I've seen the results one too many times. TOO many times.

acumen
11-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Don't usually weigh in on this kind of thing, but how does someone whose only loss in a season is in the superbowl make number one while Favre isn't even in the running?

Pundits...

RoethlisBURGHer
11-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Don't usually weigh in on this kind of thing, but how does someone whose only loss in a season is in the superbowl make number one while Favre isn't even in the running?

Pundits...

Did you even read the article?

The list goes by percentage of comebacks in comeback chances.

SteelCityMom
11-04-2009, 06:32 PM

Pundits...

Pretty much because the 3 Superbowls he did win were come from behind wins. I hate Brady as much as anyone else...but when calculating his percentages of comeback wins like this guy did, he tops the list.

The article pretty much goes off of percentages than by actual numbers of times a QB has come from behind to win. Favre has only won clutch games 29 out of 93 times (31%).

I thought it was interesting though that Brady and Ben are the only 2 QB's in the league to win more than 50% of the time when they trail in the 4th.

Davison_K
11-04-2009, 07:55 PM
That disgusts me that Ben is #2 behind Brady. I know it was based off of percentages, but I would feel better if it was someone other than Brady. He kinda makes me wanna kill myself.

Though I did like the little article in there on the best of the class of 2004. Ben all the way and the writers actually agreed with me haha

HughC
11-04-2009, 11:14 PM

Pundits...
As others said, read the article. It's not about one single game, it's about career records when a quarterback entered the game late in the 4th quarter down by 1 to 8 points.

Favre gets lots of press when he converts a comeback, but maybe he gets a bit of a pass when he doesn't; he has converted 29 comebacks in 93 opportunities (31%). How many times has he thrown an interception to end a game? Brady has converted 21 out of 33 for 64% - more than double Favre's percentage.

Not surprised at all that Peyton is not on the list. The guy is a first ballot hall of famer, but look at his playoff record; a whole lot of one-and-dones in there. Figured it would have to be between Ben and Brady, I couldn't imagine anyone else at the top of this kind of list.

stb_steeler
11-04-2009, 11:41 PM
It pains me to say it, but looking at it objectively, when you need a score late in a big game, when it really counts and all bets are off, I'd go with Roethlisberger over Manning any day.

Cant argue with u there.:wink02:

acumen
11-05-2009, 01:15 AM
Did you even read the article?

The list goes by percentage of comebacks in comeback chances.

Won't lie. Completely skipped the article and checked the list. Read it now, feel dumb.

Disregard me and carry on. :wave:

iloveben7
11-05-2009, 01:42 AM
Mr. Roethlisberger all the way

and I thought Ben had 20 comeback victories?

MasterOfPuppets
11-05-2009, 01:59 AM

:finger:

Galax Steeler
11-05-2009, 04:41 AM
I think that list is all screwed up. Yea I think Ben should be a top 3 but how does Brady always end up at the top. He is a good quarterback but I don't think he needs to be no.1.

Steeldude
11-05-2009, 10:13 AM
He is a good quarterback but I don't think he needs to be no.1

can't change the stats :smile:

fat4jc
11-05-2009, 01:01 PM

agreed. that was the knack on Peyton until he won a Superbowl, that he couldn't win the big one.

rich4eagle
11-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Well, being a QB affectionado and understanding that QB is vaslty more important than any other position. Here goes my view

Otto Graham......all he did was play in ten Championships in ten years and won seven..............

everyone can pee on this all they want .......but nobody else comes close

Jpe Montana.....all he did was make big plays his whole career when they counted

Roger Staubach...........damn no lead was beyond him...........and he won two
Super Bowls in limited time

Terry Bradshaw........he won four super bowls and a few required him to make big plays

Johnny Unitas..............yeah bubba.......all he ever did was make plays

John Elway...............made it to four Super Bowls won two........with the team on his back.....no need fr more

There are other great ones...........but the best of best have been nailed

sharkweek
11-05-2009, 05:46 PM
How many come from behind touchdown passes does Brady have in the superbowl and playoffs? oh thats right... Vinatieri won those games, thats why he has 4 superbowl rings while Brady only has 3.

cubanstogie
11-05-2009, 06:41 PM
I dislike Brady as much as any, but to deny him being the best clutch QB active is burying your head in the sand IMO. Ben is traveling down his path, but is still slightly behind. Yes he has had some breaks(tuck rule) but he has rarely if ever choked in a big game. Brady is the modern day Montana in my opinion. Ben has many more years to surpass a$$ chin, but as of now I agree with the top 2.

fansince'76
11-05-2009, 07:15 PM
I dislike Brady as much as any, but to deny him being the best clutch QB active is burying your head in the sand IMO. Ben is traveling down his path, but is still slightly behind. Yes he has had some breaks(tuck rule) but he has rarely if ever choked in a big game. Brady is the modern day Montana in my opinion. Ben has many more years to surpass a$$ chin, but as of now I agree with the top 2.

It'd be interesting to see what Ben could do if he had the benefit of knowing EXACTLY what opposing defenses were doing....

MasterOfPuppets
11-05-2009, 08:15 PM
i simply refuse to acknowledge a proven cheater on ANY of these list. .... unless of course its the biggest frauds list...:noidea:

iloveben7
11-05-2009, 10:14 PM
It'd be interesting to see what Ben could do if he had the benefit of knowing EXACTLY what opposing defenses were doing....

:applaudit: