PDA

View Full Version : View From The Press Box - Kirschke not likely to play in Denver

mesaSteeler
11-04-2009, 06:31 PM
View From The Press Box
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2009/11/04/kirschke-not-likely-to-play-in-denver/

Kirschke not likely to play in Denver
November 4th, 2009

Ryan Clark isn’t the only defensive starter that probably won’t play Monday night in Denver.

Defensive end Travis Kirschke said next week “might be too soon” for him to return from a calf injury that knocked him out of the Steelers’ 27-17 win over the Vikings on Sept. 25.

Kirschke, who has been starting at left defensive end, said he has a tear in his calf and that the injury generally requires 3-6 weeks of recovery time.

“Hopefully, it’s sooner rather than later,” Kirschke said before practice today. “I’ve got to be patient. It takes some time for it to heal.”

Kirschke did some running in a pool today but he said there is still swelling in the lower leg that he hurt against the Vikings.

If Kirschke doesn’t play against the Broncos, Nick Eason will start at left defensive end with Ziggy Hood backing him up. Sunny Harris would almost certainly dress in his first game for the Steelers if Kirschke is unable to play.

The Steelers are already thin at defensive end with Aaron Smith out for the year because of a shoulder injury.

Denver is one of the last places the Steelers want their depth at defensive end further compromised. The altitude in Denver can cause opposing players to tire faster than in cities where the concentration of oxygen in the air is higher.

Kirschke lives in Colorado during the offseason, and he said he doesn’t expect the altitude in Denver to have a significant impact on the Steelers’ game there.

“You might feel a little (more) winded,” he said, “but I don’t expect it to be a game changer.”

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Time to get hyped up for the return of Nick Eason to Denver!!!! I'm OK with Eason, Hood, Hoke and Harris rotating in. D-Line depth baby :banana:

devilsdancefloor
11-04-2009, 07:49 PM
im excited as well to see what sunny can do once he gets in to the rotation & the futher development of ziggy. I hope Kirschke gets well soon, but if the young guys can step up and he isnt rushed back that wold be a huge plus come dec & jan

Psyychoward86
11-04-2009, 08:15 PM
Time to get hyped up for the return of Nick Eason to Denver!!!! I'm OK with Eason, Hood, Hoke and Harris rotating in. D-Line depth baby :banana:

Rofl, Hoke is getting snaps at D-end? :rofl:

Steel-Bryan
11-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Hoke. lol

devilsdancefloor
11-04-2009, 09:12 PM
i think he was rotating hoke at his NT postion for big snack..:wink02:

tony hipchest
11-04-2009, 09:15 PM

he most certainly will be spelling that lard ass hampton on the D-line.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-04-2009, 11:49 PM

Nah, he is gonna be rotating in for Hamp in the Mile high thin air. If Kirschke is inactive we will probably see Eason, Hampton, Keisel starting...........with Hood, Hoke and Harris rotating in too.

Sunny Harris honestly looked farther along than Hood in preseason, but Hood has much more upside.

MasterOfPuppets
11-05-2009, 01:06 AM
Nah, he is gonna be rotating in for Hamp in the Mile high thin air. If Kirschke is inactive we will probably see Eason, Hampton, Keisel starting...........with Hood, Hoke and Harris rotating in too.

Sunny Harris honestly looked farther along than Hood in preseason, but Hood has much more upside.
hopefully harris will impress enough this year that he becomes a keeper. sure would make draft day alot easier. i know i'd feel a lot better knowing there's 2 young guys being groomed for the near future.

Cheppy
11-07-2009, 05:59 PM
If I was a betting man I'd guess that Kirschke's gonna be back for the Nov, 29th game against the Ravens. That'll give him a full month to recuperate.

AllD
11-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Time for everybody to step up like Keyaran Fox did against the Vikes.

Steelboy84
11-07-2009, 06:23 PM
We'll get pressure on Orton nonetheless, so I'm not too concerned.

markymarc
11-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Time for Eason, Hood and Harris to step up!