PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Tomlin: "All this one is missing is Howard Cosell, it will be exciting."

mesaSteeler
11-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Steelers Tomlin: "All this one is missing is Howard Cosell, it will be exciting."
November 4, 7:41 AMPittsburgh Sports ExaminerMatt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m11d4-Steelers-Tomlin-All-this-one-is-missing-is-Howard-Cosell-it-will-be-exciting

PITTSBURGH - Unlike the last time he addressed the media following the win over the Browns, there were no distractions that took place over the bye week.

It was strictly football for Steeler coach Mike Tomlin during his weekly press conference, as he discussed the upcoming Monday night football contest against the Denver Broncos.

ďItís Monday Night Football, a road game in a tough environment," Tomlin said. "Iím excited to come back and get in the cycle of competing coming off a rested bye week as a football team really anxious to get back to work because that is what is going to be needed as we prepare for this game."

When it comes to Prime Time football games, the Steelers have played well in them under Tomlinís guidance. But this game may be the teamís biggest test since he took the helm of the team. Not only is Denver 6-1, they are also coming off a tough road loss to Baltimore.

"When you look at Denver and what theyíre capable of doing or how they do what it is that they do, theyíre very efficient," Tomlin said. "If you like challenges, this one has just about everything youíre looking for. Youíve got a great team in their venue, its Monday Night Football, itís going to be awesome, and all we need is Howard Cosell."

While there are some who are surprised by the way the Ravens manhandled the Broncos, Tomlin is not, but also expects the team to rebound and be at their best come Monday night.

"Baltimore started out the season 3-0, and they dropped three games," Tomlin said. ďThatís a prideful group, thatís a talented group, well coached, great players. So not a surprise from my standpoint, just like it wonít be a surprise from my standpoint if we get Denverís best absolute shot because theyíre a quality team thatís well coached coming off a sub-par performance."

For a third time this season, the Steelers also take on a team whose quarterback struggled the previous week. Jay Cutler tossed three interceptions in his season opener, then came back and led the Bears to a win the following week. Derek Anderson has one of the lowest ratings ever for a qb in a win, but didn't have the same luck since his receivers couldn't hold onto the ball.

Kyle Orton presents yet another test, and unlike Cutler who he replaced, he has been very good most of the season.

"It starts at the quarterback position with Orton," Tomlin said. "This guy doesn't throw interceptions, he's only thrown one this year, he doesn't get sacked, he's only been sacked 11 times this year and he does a nice job of taking care of the football and spreading it around to a variety of people."

He again reiterated the fact that being efficient is the Broncos motto.

"They attack people how they choose to attack people," Tomlin said. "They spread the ball around; I think efficiency is their motto. They donít turn the ball over, they donít get sacked, theyíre playing great defense, thereís a formula for winning. And it's one that theyíve won quite a bit with."

If there is a question mark surrounding the Broncos game, itís the question as to whether or not Ryan Clark would be playing. Two years ago, he nearly lost his life due to a blood disorder caused by a sickle cell trait. Doctors have apparently cleared him, but the decision is now in Tomlin's hand.

"Ryan has received medical clearance to participate in this game from a team of doctors and we have yet to determine whether or not he is going to do that," Tomlin said. "What we are going to do is continue to prepare this week. We are going to make the decision once and then go play some football. And regardless whether Ryan plays or not the standard will be the same for not only our secondary, but also our football team."

tony hipchest
11-04-2009, 06:58 PM
last year we faced a guy who didnt throw interceptions on MNF... jason campbell.

he hasnt been the same since.

Shoes
11-04-2009, 07:13 PM
last year we faced a guy who didnt throw interceptions on MNF... jason campbell.

Exactly, I have a feeling this game is going to be just like that skin's game! :tt04::tt04:

Fire Haley
11-04-2009, 07:37 PM
If the coach is excited, then the players better be excited.

come out and kick ass

Psyychoward86
11-04-2009, 08:02 PM

Although 23-7 doesnt show it, that was one of THE most complete games the Steelers played that year

SteelC7
11-04-2009, 08:07 PM
well win, i think theyd win even if the broncos were still undefeated, theyre not that great a team, ppl are starting to see wat theyre trying to do on offense and defense. it happens every year, thats y theres always a surprise team, the jets started out that way but now theyve been figured out, the good teams like the steelers, colts, pats, eagles, dont change every year, they just go out and execute. every year theres teams that start out surprising ppl then they get figured out and they fail, and thats wat the broncos are, they were a fake 6-0 and next week theyll be a fake 6-2, while well be a real 6-2

Psyychoward86
11-04-2009, 08:16 PM
stupid question btw, who's howard cosell

MattsMe
11-04-2009, 08:39 PM

The greatest Terry Bradshaw supporter of all time. :sofunny:

Somebody has to get that...

mesaSteeler
11-04-2009, 08:47 PM
The greatest Terry Bradshaw supporter of all time. :sofunny:

Somebody has to get that...

Oh I get it alright. "Ladies and Gentleman now walking into the booth, the number one flop in the National Football League, Terry Bradshaw." Howard Cosell, Monday Night Football. I seem to remember it was Bradshaw's first or second season.

I never could stand that mouthy SOB Cosell. .

HometownGal
11-04-2009, 08:58 PM
I never could stand that mouthy SOB Cosell. .

I much preferred Cosell to some of the dunderheads who have occupied the MNF booth over the last decade. :horror:

After all, is football a game or a religion?

mesaSteeler
11-04-2009, 09:00 PM
I much preferred Cosell to some of the dunderheads who have occupied the MNF booth over the last decade. :horror:

Well HTG you do have a point there.

Shoes
11-04-2009, 09:35 PM

I loved Cosell, he was like a walking, talking, football encyclopedia.

1st&Goal
11-04-2009, 11:17 PM
Here's my favorite Cosell memory: Back in the seventies before time delay on televised games, Cosell was in the booth while the TV camera was scanning the crowd at Three Rivers. As the camera panned the crowd before the big game, (I forget who the opponent was) they showed a big Steelers sign one of the Steeler fans put up. The fans that brought the sign must have had a portable TV with them because as soon as they showed it on TV they pulled it down to reveal another sign behind it that read: "COSELL SUCKS" ! The camera immediately panned up and there was dead silence in the booth. Friggin' Hilarious!!! :rofl:

MasterOfPuppets
11-05-2009, 12:03 AM
howard was awesome...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dOkgcFj6MJQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dOkgcFj6MJQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

memphissteelergirl
11-05-2009, 09:16 AM

I could not agree more...Cosell, Gifford, and Meredith were the best to ever call MNF

...JMHO

solardave
11-05-2009, 09:25 AM

If memory serves me we played Orton pretty well back when he was a Bear. Didn't we INT him at least once, and sack him a couple?

solardave
11-05-2009, 09:27 AM

You're either kidding or young.Cosell was the greatest announcer of all time. Just ask him.

stlrz fan
11-05-2009, 09:58 PM
A beatdown of the Broncos in Denver would send a great message to Baltimore!!

HometownGal
11-06-2009, 09:21 AM
I loved Cosell, he was like a walking, talking, football encyclopedia.

I loved him too. There isn't a commentator out there today who could make a hair on his hiney.

I could not agree more...Cosell, Gifford, and Meredith were the best to ever call MNF

Spot on hon. :thumbsup: Those were guys who really knew the game inside and out and made watching MNF very enjoyable. :hatsoff:

steeltheone
11-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Howard is still MNF!

LVSteelersfan
11-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Turn out the lights, the party's over. For some odd reason I miss those days. Dandy Don Meredith. Probably because of that putz Steve Young and whoever else they put on there just make me want to puke sometimes.