PDA

View Full Version : 75 Percent of Young Americans Are Unfit for Military Duty

Fire Haley
11-04-2009, 06:08 PM
WASHINGTON (Nov. 3) -- Are America's youth too fat, dumb or dishonest to defend the nation against its enemies?

The latest Army statistics show a stunning 75 percent of military-age youth are ineligible to join the military because they are overweight, can't pass entrance exams, have dropped out of high school or had run-ins with the law.

So many young people between the prime recruiting ages of 17 and 24 cannot meet minimum standards that a group of retired military leaders is calling for more investment in early childhood education to combat the insidious effects of junk food and inadequate education.

He calls the rising number of youth unfit for duty a matter of national security. "We should be concerned about how this will impact this overstretched Army and its ability to recruit."

http://www.sphere.com/2009/11/03/70-percent-of-young-americans-are-unfit-for-military-duty/?icid=main
--------------------------------------------------------

That's it then...everyone between 18 and 22 should have mandatory military service. Work it off.

Make it so, Obama.

steelwalls
11-04-2009, 06:36 PM
I believe it. Heck at 34 years old I have been contacted several times to reinlist but now having a family I feel I have allready done my duty, but I do feel even at my age Im in better shape than most 20 year olds.

GBMelBlount
11-04-2009, 07:00 PM
The latest Army statistics show a stunning 75 percent of military-age youth are ineligible to join the military because they are overweight, can't pass entrance exams, have dropped out of high school or had run-ins with the law.

I guess it takes a little more than a village & public education these days..... :chuckle:

Killer

That's it then...everyone between 18 and 22 should have mandatory military service. Work it off.

Make it so, Obama.

Mandatory military service....NOT mandatory public service......

Hammer Of The GODS
11-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Well what do you expect from a generation raised in homes where the parents try to be a friend more than a parent?

With every year that goes by, the youth of this country come to expect everything for nothing because thier parents get them whatever they want just because they asked for it.

My son who is 10 came home one day and said that a couple of his friends at school get "presents" everyday after school just for coming home! He wanted to know why he didn't get a present everyday. Needless to say I straightened him out and told him his friends will be all but useless when they need to fend for themselves as adults.

Even if todays youth were not to fat and stupid they wouldn't join because you can't be a mammas boy in the military!

We are circling the drain.............

'

The Patriot
11-05-2009, 06:55 AM
75 Percent of Young Americans Are Unfit for Military Duty

While in the middle east, 100% of the population is fit for military service!

Which is why roughly 200 thousand members of the US military can seize control of a country (occupied by 28 million) in about 3 days. :wink:

revefsreleets
11-05-2009, 07:55 AM
Join the Mobile Infantry and save the Galaxy. Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?

http://thecia.com.au/reviews/s/images/starship-troopers-1.jpg

stlrtruck
11-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Well what do you expect from a generation raised in homes where the parents try to be a friend more than a parent?

With every year that goes by, the youth of this country come to expect everything for nothing because thier parents get them whatever they want just because they asked for it.

My son who is 10 came home one day and said that a couple of his friends at school get "presents" everyday after school just for coming home! He wanted to know why he didn't get a present everyday. Needless to say I straightened him out and told him his friends will be all but useless when they need to fend for themselves as adults.

Even if todays youth were not to fat and stupid they wouldn't join because you can't be a mammas boy in the military!

We are circling the drain.............

'

It's not just the parents trying to be friends, but it's the XBOX generation (or Playstation Generation whatever you want to call it). Children are not outside playing and running around. They're enamored with video games, facebook, myspace, IM, etc.

The schools have also put less emphasis on PE and more emphasis on school work (as hard as it is to believe). I was at a program for my son last night and looking at some of the requirements, they have one fast track program that doesn't require anything for PE. My daughter when she went to a magnet program was allowed to complete a PE program, ONLINE.

Then when you try to get them motivated, they look at us like we're crazy.

Like others here, I truly feel that at 38 years of age I am in better shape now than I was when I was in the Navy. I could probably do better than 50% of the youth today.

And I honestly believe that having a mandatory 2 years of service out of HS would straighten them out and one of two things would happen. One would be that some would become lifers even though they thought at first the military wasn't for them. Two those who come out after 2 years and go to college would be better prepared to conquer the many requirements in the classroom as well as in post-college.

steelreserve
11-05-2009, 11:04 AM
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out. Our culture has become one that accepts failure and demonizes anyone who criticizes you for being less-than-perfect.

So you see a kid growing up fat, lazy and stupid, and you try to do something about it? Suddenly, YOU'RE the problem because you're not being "sensitive." The appropriate response is to blame the problem on a faceless non-human entity, like video games or McDonald's, then demand that it be regulated, which doesn't solve anything.

But it's OK, because assigning blame is more socially acceptable than actually fixing the problem. And in fact, if you do try to fix most problems using your own common sense, you'll probably get fired over fear that someone will sue you.

This stupid country.

Fire Haley
11-05-2009, 11:21 AM
This is what happens when you ban dodgeball from grade school.

Nadroj 20
11-05-2009, 11:23 AM
This is what happens when you ban dodgeball from grade school.

LOL they did that when i was in grade school, but our brilliant gym teacher came up with a new game.....FRISBEE WAR!...Yea stupid i know he would let kids wing plastic frisbees at each other but NO YOU CANT throw balls at each other :doh:

stlrtruck
11-05-2009, 12:24 PM
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out. Our culture has become one that accepts failure and demonizes anyone who criticizes you for being less-than-perfect.

So you see a kid growing up fat, lazy and stupid, and you try to do something about it? Suddenly, YOU'RE the problem because you're not being "sensitive." The appropriate response is to blame the problem on a faceless non-human entity, like video games or McDonald's, then demand that it be regulated, which doesn't solve anything.
But it's OK, because assigning blame is more socially acceptable than actually fixing the problem. And in fact, if you do try to fix most problems using your own common sense, you'll probably get fired over fear that someone will sue you.

This stupid country.

Oh, I do demand that they be regulated, but not by government - BY THE PARENTS (I know how strange of me to think that parents should be more involved in their child's lives.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-07-2009, 06:27 AM
Hmmmmm...I would say that 99.9% of my basic training class was unfit for Military duty....until a Drill Sgt. worked with us for 16 weeks, and drilled/yelled/excercised/instructed us, and MADE us fit for duty.

hindes204
11-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Hmmmmm...I would say that 99.9% of my basic training class was unfit for Military duty....until a Drill Sgt. worked with us for 16 weeks, and drilled/yelled/excercised/instructed us, and MADE us fit for duty.

i agree, i was pretty out of shape when i joined....of course, back then, the Air Force basic training was a joke, so i wasnt much better when i graduated. There is still alot of out of shape people in the Air Force, but luckily they are starting to weed them out. New fitness standards are alot stricter than they used to be......i say good, there is no reason to be in the military and be 40 pounds overweight and unable to run 10 feet let alon 2 miles