PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' lone loss magnifies weak spots

mesaSteeler
11-04-2009, 08:58 PM
(Mods, the article does not discuss the Steelers but since the Doncos are our next opponent I thought it worth well to post it here. - mesa)

Broncos' lone loss magnifies weak spots
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 11/03/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

Eddie Royal, trying to break away from the Baltimore defense, including linebacker Ray Lewis (52), says the Denver offense has no excuses for gaining just 200 total yards Sunday in a 30-7 loss to the Ravens. "We've just got to come out and play better," he says. "We know that." (Joe Amon, The Denver Post )

After the Broncos' first six games, all wins, quarterback Kyle Orton liked to say there was no better time to take a hard look at the game film than after a victory.

Perhaps the Broncos from coaches to players hadn't been critical enough.

The Broncos' 30-7 loss Sunday at Baltimore revealed offensive flaws (and defensive too) that were easily overlooked during their 6-0 start.

"Losing a game really makes the mistakes that much more glaring, and the need to fix things more urgent," Denver coach Josh McDaniels said Monday. "It will be easy for us to see what we didn't do well."

Consider:

The Broncos couldn't run the ball effectively: Running backs Knowshon Moreno and Correll Buckhalter combined for only 55 yards on 18 carries.

The Broncos couldn't throw downfield: The longest pass play was 23 yards, and that came in the final minute.

They struggled to throw short: Orton threw two screen passes that resulted in negative yardage, and he averaged only 4.1 yards per pass.

Denver's offensive ranking fell to the middle of the NFL pack this week, from total yards per game (344.6, 14th) to rushing yards per game (123.1, 11th) to passing yards per game (221.4, 15th). Not exactly the production anyone envisioned for a unit with a strong offensive line, a solid group of receivers, productive tight ends and a No. 1 draft pick at running back.

"No excuses," receiver Eddie Royal said. "We've just got to come out and play better. We know that."

That process began Monday, when players and coaches returned to Dove Valley for film study, meetings and conditioning work. The team will have its first practice in preparation for Monday night's home game against defending Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh on Wednesday.

"We are certainly going to have to improve on what we didn't do well yesterday or else it is going to continue to repeat and carry over to the next game and the next game," McDaniels said.

McDaniels said what happened in Baltimore won't change how he game plans, even with Pittsburgh and its fast, physical defense coming to town. But it does mean a closer examination of what works and what doesn't.

McDaniels' offense is built on short passes, including screens to receivers, running backs and tight ends, and on crossing and slant routes that allow receivers to find space in the middle of the field.

If those elements are working along with decent production from the running game Orton will occasionally take the big shot downfield. When the staples of the offense sputtered through Sunday's game, the Broncos failed to find a way to improvise and adjust against a stingy and energized Ravens defense.

"Certainly, the quarterback is not absolved from any responsibility offensively. He could have played better, but everybody I would feel the same about," McDaniels said. "It wasn't like we had 20 guys on offense or 20 guys on defense play really well and a couple of guys ruined it for us."

Expect that overall philosophy to remain the same. Coaches and players said Monday it was the execution, not the plan, that failed Sunday.

"We've all got to look at ourselves and see what we can do to make ourselves better so we can make the team better," receiver Jabar Gaffney said.

Said McDaniels: "I have game planned a lot of years against a lot of good defenses. We need to have a good plan each week. That certainly gives your team the best chance to win. Then we need to get our players to execute that plan, against whatever defense we are playing, better."

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

solardave
11-05-2009, 04:31 PM
I think Denver can expect more of the same this week. They're not only facing the toughest defense but the best coordinator. Our o line needs to keep up the great work so we can run and Ben has time to throw. I think we'll see a low scoring defensive struggle Monday night.
Steelers-17
Broncos-9

revefsreleets
11-06-2009, 02:24 PM
I think that plays to their strengths.

The Steelers need big plays on both sides of the ball and to play solid ST.

One comment on OUR defense. Denver doesn't really score a ton of points (they are in the bottom 3rd of the league at 20 a game), and there's a reason for that. They win by keeping the opposing offense off the field by playing solid D. They need a big TOP edge to win because their offense is actually quite average. Orton "is what we thought he was".

I looked up TOP in their wins, and they had pretty big edges in all their wins except the first game (Cinci and they probably should have lost that game) and the SD game, which was about even. Baltimore dominated that stat.

Anyway, they need to execute very well to score, and, even though on the surface it looks like short passes plays against OUR weakness because we give a little cushion, it actually plays right into our hands. By keeping the play in front of us, it will force Denver to execute in order to march down the field and score, which I believe will be difficult for them, especially if they have trouble running the ball. Obviously, turnovers could obliterate that advantage, but if we can win the field position battle, score 21-24 points, and make their offense really have to earn their points, we'll win this game by 7-10 points.

ST and TO's are the wild card....

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-07-2009, 01:36 AM
Denver is still wearing the glass slipper and will continue to wear it with games vs OAK, KC, SD, WAS coming up.

I really think if the Steelers play well, they win by around 2 TD's. Denver isnt as good as their record indicates.

MasterOfPuppets
11-07-2009, 02:07 AM
i look for denver to try the game plan chicago used...the TE in the middle of the field , quick outs to the receivers and rb screens. look at how orton spreads the ball...

http://www.nfl.com/teams/denverbroncos/statistics?team=DEN

thier receiving avgerages tells you its all dink an dunk.

Glace
11-07-2009, 05:44 AM
might all be dink and dunk....but the Broncos are getting it done. They're a heck of a team this year, and we better not take it lightly.

Baltimore played the game of their lives against them and won. We will need to do the same.

Galax Steeler
11-07-2009, 05:49 AM
might all be dink and dunk....but the Broncos are getting it done. They're a heck of a team this year, and we better not take it lightly.

Baltimore played the game of their lives against them and won. We will need to do the same.

I am still not sold on Denver, yes they have lost only one game. The Bengals game was a fluke they should have lost I know a win is a win but it came down to the last play. I think they have more rinkels in there team then people think.

HometownGal
11-07-2009, 08:00 AM
Kyle Orton is going to have a very weak spot after the game on Monday night - his black 'n blue ass. :tt02:

markymarc
11-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Denver is a fraud team and they will be exposed again on Monday night. IMO the Steelers must win the TOP, our defense must get off the field and not allow long drives and most importantly we must win the special teams battle :tt02:

revefsreleets
11-09-2009, 11:46 AM
Again, dink and dunk is really not that different from running the ball. You need to execute well if you want to march down the field little chunks at a time and score.

That's easier to do against bad defenses than against a defense like ours, ESPECIALLY since (although the fans don't like it or always understand it), we are set up as a bend don't break defense, meaning you NEED to execute well in little chunks because we tend to NOT give up big plays. We keep the ball in front of us. We put pressure on to force mistakes and errors. I don't think Denver will be able to muster much against us at all...

Steelboy84
11-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Our D is gonna be all over Orton tonight.

jandrewsaf
11-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Thats right boys and girls! It's game day!!! I'll be up front at tonights game. If the Ravens can beat em, we can beat em by more. Troy and the number 1 D are gonna tear Kyle a new one.

Watch for record breaking sacs, defensive touchdowns, and oh yeah...Mike Wallace to get some blow-out yardage...

I just hope poor James Harrison gets some assistance and won't have to run 100+ yards. :):wave:

scsteeler
11-09-2009, 04:06 PM
What was exposed in the Baltimore game was that Denver lives on the short passing game. You shut down the run in which the Steelers do and Orton has to beat you with his arm and this is where the Problem begins. I think Harrison and Woodley have a sack fest tonight.

Steelers- 38
Broncos - 10

TampaSteelerFan
11-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Lets go Steelers baby!! Orton ain't seen nothin like our D yet! Silverback is licking his chops as we speak. :tt03::tt03::tt03:

jandrewsaf
11-09-2009, 04:51 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Fox snags another int like he did against Minnesota!

jandrewsaf
11-09-2009, 05:18 PM
http://www.blitzcorner.com/NFL/Steelers-Keyaron-Fox-Interception-for-TD-vs-Vikings-Video:tt02::tt02::tt02:

revefsreleets
11-10-2009, 12:35 PM
I think that plays to their strengths.

The Steelers need big plays on both sides of the ball and to play solid ST.

One comment on OUR defense. Denver doesn't really score a ton of points (they are in the bottom 3rd of the league at 20 a game), and there's a reason for that. They win by keeping the opposing offense off the field by playing solid D. They need a big TOP edge to win because their offense is actually quite average. Orton "is what we thought he was".

I looked up TOP in their wins, and they had pretty big edges in all their wins except the first game (Cinci and they probably should have lost that game) and the SD game, which was about even. Baltimore dominated that stat.

Anyway, they need to execute very well to score, and, even though on the surface it looks like short passes plays against OUR weakness because we give a little cushion, it actually plays right into our hands. By keeping the play in front of us, it will force Denver to execute in order to march down the field and score, which I believe will be difficult for them, especially if they have trouble running the ball. Obviously, turnovers could obliterate that advantage, but if we can win the field position battle, score 21-24 points, and make their offense really have to earn their points, we'll win this game by 7-10 points.

ST and TO's are the wild card....

Again, dink and dunk is really not that different from running the ball. You need to execute well if you want to march down the field little chunks at a time and score.

That's easier to do against bad defenses than against a defense like ours, ESPECIALLY since (although the fans don't like it or always understand it), we are set up as a bend don't break defense, meaning you NEED to execute well in little chunks because we tend to NOT give up big plays. We keep the ball in front of us. We put pressure on to force mistakes and errors. I don't think Denver will be able to muster much against us at all..

Even though I'm an idiot homer who hates any player who didn't play for OSU, wrongly hates Sweed, and knows nothing about football, this was a fairly accurate assessment.

TOP: Steelers 33.03 Denver 26.57
Denver yards rushing: 27
Kyle Orton QBR: 43.9