PDA

View Full Version : Joey Porter: I have natural hate for [Pats]

mesaSteeler
11-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Joey Porter: ‘I have natural hate for [Pats]‘ 11.04.09 at 3:26 pm ET
By Mike Petraglia
http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2009/11/04/joey-porter-i-have-natural-hate-for-pats/

FOXBORO — Miami linebacker Joey Porter didn’t mince words on Wednesday when speaking of the bitter feelings he still holds toward the Patriots. Ever since “Spygate” came to light in 2007, Porter has felt that his Steeler teams that lost to the Patriots in the 2001 and 2004 AFC title games were cheated out of a chance to go to the Super Bowl.

“Come to figure out some months later why we lost so, yeah, I have a natural hate for them, period, and that’s going to be with me forever and that’s not ever going to change,” Porter said in a conference call with New England media.

While not mentioning “Spygate” specifically, Porter has, in the past, made the case that the video controversy explained the two Pittsburgh losses.

“You can fill in the blanks. You know exactly what I’m talking about and they know exactly what I’m talking about and that’s not ever going to change.”

Hear what Porter had to say by clicking here.

Porter was asked if he feels he’s not well-liked in New England by the Patriots and their fans.

“Same way they feel about me,” Porter said. “You know they don’t like me. Let’s be honest, they don’t like me, and that’s fair. And I don’t like them and that’s fair. So it’s not like a divorce is happening. We were never really married anyway.

“It’s good to have healthy rivalries and to have a rivalry, we have to win some. It can’t be one-sided. We split with them last year and the year before that they beat us twice. This is my third year in this [division] going up against them and we’re trying to change the way it used to be,” he said.

The Patriots beat the Steelers, 24-17, in the 2001 AFC title game in Pittsburgh, and again in the Steel City, 38-24, in 2004. Both wins resulted in AFC titles for the Pats on their way to Super Bowl glory.

“My feelings toward New England goes back further, it goes back to my Pittsburgh days. So, I feel a certain way after some things came out way back when. I was at Pittburgh in some AFC Championships I lost to them a couple times. Come to figure out some months later why we lost, so yeah I have a natural hate for them, period. And that’s going to be with me forever. That’s not going to change.

“You know exactly what I’m talking about and they know exactly what I’m talking about and that’s not going to change my thought process on that situation,” Porter said.

(I hope Porter rips Marsha's head off. - mesa)

Shea
11-04-2009, 09:05 PM
I'm with Joey on this one. I hate them too.

NJarhead
11-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Kick his ass Peezy!

Edman
11-04-2009, 09:34 PM
**** the Patriots. It's unfortunate we don't get a shot at them this year. Destroy them Joey.

43Hitman
11-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Kick his ass Peezy!

:tt03::tt03:

jjpro11
11-04-2009, 10:05 PM
he'll always be a Steeler. he was easily the most hated Steeler here in Cleveland. good times.

devilsdancefloor
11-04-2009, 10:11 PM
lol peezy will never change!

MasterOfPuppets
11-04-2009, 11:40 PM
lol peezy will never change!
yup...ran his mouth to the jets all week...did next nothing in the game...same ole porter :thumbsup:

if new england woulda offered him more money than the fins...peazy would be runnin his yap in foxborough...

steelwalls
11-05-2009, 12:05 AM
yup...ran his mouth to the jets all week...did next nothing in the game...same ole porter :thumbsup:

if new england woulda offered him more money than the fins...peazy would be runnin his yap in foxborough...

Allthough I have mad respect for JP, I agree here.

stlrtruck
11-05-2009, 08:20 AM
Peezy, take the 15 yards and make sure Marsha knows you're coming to hit him hard all game long.

Steel-Bryan
11-05-2009, 08:26 AM
Imagine he were to get traded to NE, lolll.

vasteeler
11-05-2009, 09:27 AM
some may disagree but i am glad he is off of our team that mouth is really embarassing:doh:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-05-2009, 09:49 AM
some may disagree but i am glad he is off of our team that mouth is really embarassing:doh:

I for one disagree. Those guys are good for team morale, the coaches dont need to motivate pregame, because guys like Peezy do it. He wears it on his sleeve, plays with emotion and most of the time backs up the talk with his play.

So sometimes he comes off goofy, but calling the Colts "soft", telling the Bengals "you aint gonna win with Kitna", the Browns "your going back on the turnpike....losers" or telling the Jeramey Stevens he is "soft"............all the truth but not politically correct. Screw being PC. Peezy is awesome! :thumbsup:

revefsreleets
11-05-2009, 10:02 AM
I'm not a fan of all the smack talk either....consider it kind of low rent, but it did get the engines revving for some guys.

I'm actually surprised Goodell didn't fine him $200,000 for his comments...

RoethlisBURGHer
11-05-2009, 10:04 AM
I hope Porter leaves Brady laying in a crumpled heap. Hit him hard and hit him often Joey!

CanadianSteel
11-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Peezy will always have my repsect for a few reasons..

- never afraid to give his ACTUAL opinion on things wheter you like it or not
- Played like a monster in the playoffs and superbowl run in 2005
- still have his jersey hung up

Props to Peezy - give em hell !

RoethlisBURGHer
11-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Peezy will always have my repsect for a few reasons..

- never afraid to give his ACTUAL opinion on things wheter you like it or not
- Played like a monster in the playoffs and superbowl run in 2005
- still have his jersey hung up

Props to Peezy - give em hell !

That is one thing I LOVED about Joey. He always spoke his mind. Damn the critics, and damn political correctness.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-05-2009, 11:14 AM
I'm not a fan of all the smack talk either....consider it kind of low rent, but it did get the engines revving for some guys.

I'm actually surprised Goodell didn't fine him $200,000 for his comments...

Sure, some smack talk is low rent, but some stuff is just fantastic. These are some of my favorites.

-Ernie Holmes in the 76 championship game going to the Raiders warmup to tell Gene Upshaw he was gonna "kick his ass".

-Lawrence Taylor telling a sacked Jets QB Ken O'Brien "son.....you all gotta do better than this"

-John Randall quoting revelations

-Reggie White telling opposing linemen who played somewhat dirty against him "Jesus is coming.....are YOU ready""

vasteeler
11-05-2009, 11:48 AM
That is one thing I LOVED about Joey. He always spoke his mind. Damn the critics, and damn political correctness.

yeah but he sounded like an ignorant jackass most of the time

steelreserve
11-05-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm glad to see a player for once who has enough competitive spirit to actually be angry at his opponents. Not the standard fare of "Oh yeah, they beat us, but who cares, we're all still friends off the field and they're a great group of guys and I respect them, etc. etc."

You know ... a guy that actually takes it to heart that winning matters. Not "winning would be nice, but if not, oh well, I've got other priorities like having a lot of money and friends."

Angus Burgher
11-05-2009, 01:35 PM
I love Porter. Harrison is more than an able replacement, but I'll always be cool with Joey (unless of course he's playing against us).

Gaist
11-05-2009, 04:42 PM
I wasn't aware you could steal signals on special teams (2001 AFCCG). That game isn't a good place to start if you want to show how spygate affected games.

12 tackles on the season for Porter, doing his usual.

NJarhead
11-05-2009, 04:44 PM
I wasn't aware you could steal signals on special teams (2001 AFCCG). That game isn't a good place to start if you want to show how spygate affected games.

12 tackles on the season for Porter, doing his usual.

God, you're ignorant. :rolleyes:

Steelboy84
11-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Don't worry Joey, we all do.

tony hipchest
11-05-2009, 07:05 PM
great interview just now with him and rich eisen. he said brady definitely has his own set of rules. he laughed almost proudly when it was pointed out that he was 2nd to hines in that stupid "dirtiest player" poll, noting that he has only been fined once for a late hit in his career. he repeatedly called the patriots cheaters. :thumbsup:

look for him to be fined again.

Psyychoward86
11-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Porter and Lambert were the only two guys we ever had that we WANTED to be trash talking

iloveben7
11-05-2009, 09:17 PM
who doesn't have a natural hate for the Pats? lol

get him Joey

NEPAsteeler
11-05-2009, 09:24 PM
To hell with the Patriots* and to hell with Tom Brady. :mad:

Rip his head off, Joey.

Christian Snyder
11-06-2009, 06:21 AM
I hope Porter sacks Tom CryBrady 4 times! No, 5 times!:chuckle:

Hopefully, the final score will be 50-0 Dolphins.:chuckle:

NEPAsteeler
11-06-2009, 08:56 PM
I also see a fine coming for him. I mean, how dare he make any negative comments about the Commish's Messiah. :coffee:

HughC
11-06-2009, 10:22 PM
I still vividly remember that game in '04 (or '03?) against New England when he had three or four sacks and a couple of forced fumbles. If I'm not mistaken he had a really big game against them with Miami last year too. The only thing that kind of leaves me scratching my head is this: correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he looking to sign a contract with the Patriots after he was released? If that's the case it kind of makes his comments sound like sour grapes to me.

As far as talking before the game, we as fans love it when it's something we'd love to say, but I don't know how smart it is - and let's face it, Peezy isn't going to be confused as a Rhodes scholar anytime soon. Maybe talking that way fires up the team and gives them confidence, but it seems to me more often than not instead it backfires and simply motivates the opponent that much more; Anthony Smith's guarantee would be a perfect example.

STEELtownHAVOX
11-07-2009, 08:29 AM
Joey is one of my favorite all time steelers, miss ya big guy

TackleMeBen
11-07-2009, 09:04 AM
often than not instead it backfires and simply motivates the opponent that much more; Anthony Smith's guarantee would be a perfect example
the difference between smith and porter, is that 95% of the time porter can back up what his mouth is saying, where as smith didnt have the credit to back up what his mouth was saying.

i hope porter knocks brady out again this year, that way he can spend time with that new baby that is coming next month. and the media would stop talking about him.. oh wait, they would still about him even if he wasnt playing...

steel striker
11-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Go Joey knock Brady out!

beSteelmyheart
11-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Joey has a knack for saying what we are all thinking. :drink: I'd love to see him go after Marsha like he did Manning in that play-off game-that was poetry in motion!

Steelboy84
11-07-2009, 05:13 PM
I also see a fine coming for him. I mean, how dare he make any negative comments about the Commish's Messiah. :coffee:

Or as like to call him, "Goddell's man-toy".

SteelersMongol
11-08-2009, 08:08 AM
I LOVE Peezy. & who likes the NE Cheating a-holes anyways? Nobody. If Joey "murders" Brady's ars, nobody is gonna feel bad at all.

#1 Big Ben Fan
11-08-2009, 09:08 AM
I love Joey Porter and I'm glad he has that always a Steeler mind set. But "Spy Gate" had nothing to do with the 2001 AFC title loss. I'm sorry but it didn't the Steelers poor special teams that game was the big reason for that loss. Troy Edwards and stupid his stupid penalty forced a re-punt which resulted in Troy Brown taking it to the house. Plus the refs also messed up the ball placement on that re-punt. The Steelers special teams also allowed a block field goal to be taken back to the house.

In 2004 Ben was a rookie and that was the biggest reason for that loss. There is a reason a rookie QB has never taken his team to a Super Bowl.

The Patriot
11-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Interception rendered null for roughing the passer on NE? :huh:

BlastFurnace
11-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Peezy is finished. He is at 0-0 today in the stat line.

Gaist
11-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Natural hate led him to a grand total of zero tackles. If this moron didn't have a big mouth, nobody would talk about him anymore, so props to him.

SteelersMongol
11-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Apparently Tom Broad-y doesn't THINK he had an influence on the refs calls. But he doesn't know. Wow. He's really a piece of artwork.

Thursday on NFL Network, Dolphins linebacker Joey Porter shot off about the Patriots in general, and their quarterback, Tom Brady, in particular. Porter said he felt Brady "gets his own rules", and cited examples of Brady calling for flags and getting calls. Well, who better to ask about this subject than Brady himself? "No, I don't think so, " Brady told the Globe. "You may get more calls. I don't know. I think the ref calls what he sees. I don't think I've ever influenced a call. The refs we have are very good. If they make a call on that, great. If they don't, that's fine."

MasterOfPuppets
11-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Peezy is finished. He is at 0-0 today in the stat line.
yea...porter hates them so much he wouldn't even touch them to make a tackle....:uhh:

The Patriot
11-08-2009, 08:43 PM
yea...porter hates them so much he wouldn't even touch them to make a tackle....:uhh:

Patriots Management took an ounce of revenge against Joey Porter's trash talking.

With 4 minutes left to go in the Patriots vicotory over the Dolphins, Joey Porter's photograph appeared on the Jumbotron. On the right side of the split screen, the words appeared:

Joey Porter, Linebacker, Miami

0 Tackles 0 Assists

Porter's photo was replaced by a live shot of Porter pouting on the Miami bench

Payback is a Bitch

Shea
11-08-2009, 08:53 PM
The complete lack of sportsmanship and class has now made it's way onto the Jumbotron, and probably wasn't the first time. Can't say I'm surprised.....

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-09-2009, 09:33 AM
Maybe should line him up in the Wildcat...........oh no....that sucks too.

SteelersMongol
11-09-2009, 08:30 PM
...Payback is a Bitch

Yes, of all the people in the world, you DO KNOW that, don't ya? :coffee:

Gaist
11-09-2009, 10:07 PM
The complete lack of sportsmanship and class has now made it's way onto the Jumbotron, and probably wasn't the first time. Can't say I'm surprised.....

Oh, because Joey Porter is so classy, right?

I guess after the game, Porter didn't even talk to reporters. It was the same after the 48-28 game last season, Porter refused to come out the game and then bolted afterwards, refusing to talk.

BlastFurnace
11-09-2009, 10:12 PM

If the Steelers did that to an opponent that trashed talked Ben, we would think it's funny. I don't have a problem with what they did.

Gaist
11-09-2009, 10:18 PM
If the Steelers did that to an opponent that trashed talked Ben, we would think it's funny. I don't have a problem with what they did.

Better yet, what if the roles were reversed and, say, Ty Warren had talked smack publicly before a game at Miami, and the jumbotron showed Warren with a zero across the board?

I wonder if Shea would still come out with his big spiel about class and sportsmanship?

Tankus_Maximus
11-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Peezy's comments are exactly why I continue to sport his jersey, even after he's gone. Well that, and I took the 'Fish and the 12 points that were spotted to the Fish!! Woo-Hoo!!

Shea
11-10-2009, 12:10 AM
Better yet, what if the roles were reversed and, say, Ty Warren had talked smack publicly before a game at Miami, and the jumbotron showed Warren with a zero across the board?

I wonder if Shea would still come out with his big spiel about class and sportsmanship?

I'd probably find it to be a bit amusing, yeah a bit of homerism coming into play, but then again the Steelers organization is historically seeped with integrity and class, unlike the Pats*. So would this really happen at Heinz field?

Yeah, Joey popped off and didn't deliver. But whatever happened to being the bigger person and just letting the play on the football field speak for itself? There's nothing much in Patsie land that you can ever point to when watching with a child to teach them about ethics, sportsmanship and class. Ever. And I hate them for that, and will never make any apologies about it either!

F them, and F their Jumbotron!

MasterOfPuppets
11-10-2009, 12:17 AM
I'd probably find it to be a bit amusing, yeah a bit of homerism coming into play, but then again the Steelers organization is historically seeped with integrity and class, unlike the Pats*. So would this really happen at Heinz field?

Yeah, Joey popped off and didn't deliver. But whatever happened to being the bigger person and just letting the play on the football field speak for itself? There's nothing much in Patsie land that you can ever point to when watching with a child to teach them about ethics, sportsmanship and class. Ever. And I hate them for that, and will never make any apologies about it either!

ummmm we are talking about a bunch of arrogant CHEATERS here... sooooo ....why would you expect sportsmanship and class from them ? :noidea:

verks36
11-10-2009, 12:43 AM
!00% agree with Joey

Gaist
11-10-2009, 01:19 AM

The Steelers steroiders steeped in integrity and class?:sofunny:

What about Joey being the bigger person and not mouthing off in the first place? But like I said, it's smart of him to do so, since he can't let his play on the football field speak for itself. He has 12 tackles on the year, Jerod Mayo had 12 in the game.

fansince'76
11-10-2009, 01:29 AM
The Steelers steroiders steeped in integrity and class?:sofunny:.

As opposed to the cheating bunch of bastards from New England who acted like they were the victims of Spygate? And I'm sure Bruschi's stroke had nothing to do with the juice. :rolleyes: Never mind Rodney Harrison and Todd Sauerbrun. :coffee:

X-Terminator
11-10-2009, 01:33 AM
The Steelers steroiders steeped in integrity and class?:sofunny:

What about Joey being the bigger person and not mouthing off in the first place? But like I said, it's smart of him to do so, since he can't let his play on the football field speak for itself. He has 12 tackles on the year, Jerod Mayo had 12 in the game.

Doesn't matter. I agree wholeheartedly that your team should have just taken the high road and let the score do the talking. There was absolutely NO NEED to do that. But then again, I expect nothing less from you jackholes up there.

Gaist
11-10-2009, 01:42 AM
And I'm sure Bruschi's stroke had nothing to do with the juice. :rolleyes:

And I'm sure James Harrison just went from being cut four times to being the DPOY by "hard work".

fansince'76
11-10-2009, 01:45 AM
And I'm sure James Harrison just went from being cut four times to being the DPOY by "hard work".

And I'm sure a 6th round longshot became the "bestest ever" (according to the 2002 bandwagoners, anyway) completely on the up and up.

Gaist
11-10-2009, 01:51 AM
Because we all know that every first round pick ever has been great, and every later round pick has not.

He also only threw fifty touchdown passes after "not being on the up and up".

fansince'76
11-10-2009, 01:59 AM
He also only threw fifty touchdown passes after "not being on the up and up".

You really think they immediately stopped benefiting from it when it was (supposedly) stopped? Stupid question - of course you do. My bad. :coffee:

MasterOfPuppets
11-10-2009, 02:08 AM
for all we know they may STILL be cheating. image the uproar that would've taken place if the cheats sunk to the cellar IMMEDIATLEY after thier advantage was taken away... do you really think godell wanted to deal with people knowing just how much thier deviant behavior benefited them ? why do you think he "destroyed" the evidence so quickly and swepted it under the rug ?

Gaist
11-10-2009, 02:10 AM
Then how did he not ever throw more than 30 in any single season before then?

He goes from 3500 yards and 24 touchdowns in 2006, gets caught against the Jets game one of 2007, and then goes off for 4800 yards and the NFL TD record?

And what about the teams they played? Did they just go "oh, so they were stealing our signals. I guess we'll just use the exact same ones we've been using and see what happens".

MasterOfPuppets
11-10-2009, 02:14 AM
godell supplied them with up to date tapes in addition to the refs...:popcorn:

Gaist
11-10-2009, 02:15 AM
for all we know they may STILL be cheating. image the uproar that would've taken place if the cheats sunk to the cellar IMMEDIATLEY after thier advantage was taken away... do you really think godell wanted to deal with people knowing just how much thier deviant behavior benefited them ? why do you think he "destroyed" the evidence so quickly and swepted it under the rug ?

I'm sure when they have a bad season several years down the road, we'll begin to hear about how the "big" advantages of spygate are finally wearing off. That poster Revefleets or whatever his name is will lead the charge, of course.

Gaist
11-10-2009, 02:17 AM
godell supplied them with up to date tapes in addition to the refs...:popcorn:

Were they the refs from Super Bowl 40? If so, lucky us.:chuckle:

Preacher
11-10-2009, 02:44 AM
Were they the refs from Super Bowl 40? If so, lucky us.:chuckle:

Why's that? Oh you mean those refs that kept blow the holding calls against our OLB's that Seattle couldn't stop except by engaging in 2nd degree molestation.

Yeah, that was pretty bad.

I was wondering when we were going to actually get a call go our way that game after giving the Seahawks pretty much a pass on most everything (except that TD, thank goodness, though that was right in front of the ref, so he had to call in offensive interference).

Only time we actually had a debatable call go our way all game, was when the QB dove and was called for an illegal block.

Yeah, I guess those refs would help you all out too.
______

And to your other question.. Until the Cheatriots* lose the core of players they built by cheating, any and every win will be tainted. You want someone to lie to you about that truth, go back to a Patricheats board.