PDA

View Full Version : Kokinis lost power struggle with Mangini

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
11-05-2009, 10:42 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/11/05/browns/1.html

"As Eric started taking on more and more power, [Kokinis] kind of saw what was happening and really kind of withdrew,'' a league source said. "George has a great work ethic, and he'd rather sit and watch tape in his office than anything else. He figured out where things were headed. The owner hired Eric Mangini. George was basically hired by Mangini. So if you're in that front office, who are you going to side with? It's not that tough to figure out. I think he's known for about two months now what was coming.''

According to sources, Lerner asked Kokinis to resign, and when Kokinis refused, made it clear to Kokinis the club would seek a dismissal "for cause,'' citing a lack of performance of his duties as GM. That would allow the Browns to contend they have no obligation to pay the balance of the five-year contract (at about $1 million per year) it gave Kokinis in January.

"They're going to look at his phone records and try to make some case that says he was trying to give away trade secrets to other teams or something,'' a league source said. "But it's not going to stick. It won't work. They're just trying to find something to prove a lack of performance.''

A league source said Kokinis has retained a "high-profile" attorney with experience arguing against the NFL to represent him in the event the Browns continue to contest his contract. "I think George is going to kick ass, and the Browns will end up caving in,'' a league source said. "I don't think they have a leg to stand on.''

While Mangini, by all accounts, won his power struggle with his longtime friend and former roommate and consolidated his own power, multiple sources say he is far from safe as the Browns head coach beyond the second half of this season. Lerner, sources said, is dissatisfied with Mangini's performance as well, and will likely bow to the public pressure calling for a new Browns head coach in 2010.

"So this week they sacrificed George Kokinis,'' a league source said. "They stuck his head on a stick, stuck it out the window and the fans cheered. For all of about 20 minutes. But then it's, 'Wait a minute. This isn't really the guy who was responsible.' This is Randy Lerner being under the spell of Eric Mangini. To a degree. [Mangini's] done at the end of the year. And a lot of it is deserved. He's got no chance at this point. The fans are never going to accept the guy. It just wasn't his turn [to go] yet

RoethlisBURGHer
11-05-2009, 10:51 PM
Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

Oakland Raiders much?

KeiselPower99
11-06-2009, 09:21 AM
2 words for ya...Mike Holmgren

revefsreleets
11-06-2009, 11:10 AM
The article I read was a little longer and said a few more bad things about Mangini....like he's as good as fired at the end of the season.