PDA

View Full Version : Danica near NASCAR deal

Fire Haley
11-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Yeah baby!

"Danica Watch" has begun

Danica Patrick is near a deal to join JR Motorsports

IndyCar Series and crossover media star Danica Patrick is nearing completion of a two-year contract with JR Motorsports, the NASCAR Nationwide Series operation owned by Dale Earnhardt Jr., and a source close to the negotiations described the talks as being "in the final phase."

A second source close to the situation confirmed the deal is moving forward, saying "talks are moving in a very positive direction and it would probably be a surprise if it didn't happen."

Both the Patrick and Earnhardt camps declined comment when reached Wednesday, but Earnhardt told SceneDaily.com that other teams also continue to talk to Patrick about a future in NASCAR.

"She's really serious about coming to NASCAR. A lot of people, I guess, thought that it was just a media hoax or her kind of blowing smoke," Earnhardt Jr. said Wednesday night. "She's really serious about it, and she's going to do it with somebody."

Sources told ESPN.com's Marty Smith that, at present, the first race on Patrick's tentative schedule is the ARCA event at Daytona Speedweeks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/news/story?id=4622687

--------------------------------------------

Only Danica can save nascar

Nadroj 20
11-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Good luck to her, i think this is awesome

revefsreleets
11-06-2009, 03:42 PM
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=33542&page=16

MasterOfPuppets
11-06-2009, 03:57 PM
she'll fail miserably...:doh:

Fire Haley
11-06-2009, 05:52 PM
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=33542&page=16

this deserves it's own thread

Danica is my girl.

http://www.gambling911.com/danica_patrick_FHM.gif

revefsreleets
11-07-2009, 08:47 PM
It'll take her 3 years to "get it", but she'll do fine in Cup. She's a quality driver and paid her dues...

KeiselPower99
11-08-2009, 11:45 PM
Think she will win more races the Jr??

revefsreleets
11-09-2009, 07:53 AM
Think she will win more races the Jr??
It'd be difficult not to...

Christian Snyder
11-09-2009, 08:38 AM
That sucks... Now they'll have to interview her whether she finishes 1st or in 43rd place.:mad::banging:

Fire Haley
11-09-2009, 11:51 AM
You'd rather listen to the Wallace boys whine?

I hope she smacks all of Rusty's boys into the wall.

She's not running Cup for awhile, anyway - first the Arca cars then Nationwide series.
But she can't be any worse than Sam Hornish.

revefsreleets
11-09-2009, 12:51 PM
You'd rather listen to the Wallace boys whine?

I hope she smacks all of Rusty's boys into the wall.

She's not running Cup for awhile, anyway - first the Arca cars then Nationwide series.
But she can't be any worse than Sam Hornish.
I'd be surprised if she went all the way to ARCA...I expected a season of Nationwide...

Venom
11-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Im sorry guys if I offend anyone here on the board , but I just dont get this Nascar thing . I dont know if its because Im from New York City . I don't think I can watch an event where I see cars make left turns for 5-6 hours until someone wins.

KeiselPower99
11-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Im sorry guys if I offend anyone here on the board , but I just dont get this Nascar thing . I dont know if its because Im from New York City . I don't think I can watch an event where I see cars make left turns for 5-6 hours until someone wins.

Dont feel bad Im from Wv and dont understand it either.

7SteelGal43
11-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Personally, I'd love to see her plow the Douche, 'er I mean Busch brothers into the wall.

tony hipchest
11-11-2009, 09:07 PM
I dont know if its because Im from New York City .

yeah, thats probably it.

does anyone in NYC even know how to operate a motor vehicle? i thought they all just rode passenger in a subway or cab. :noidea:

that nyc marathon thingy sure is cool though. "tom n jerry" as a means of transportation is the way to go. :thumbsup:

:shout:- Gentlemen (and women)... start your engines!!!! VROOOOOOM!!!!!

vasteeler
11-17-2009, 10:51 AM

im with you i cant stand it :puke:

revefsreleets
11-17-2009, 01:19 PM
I don't understand this...if you don't like it, stay out of the thread. If someone posts a thread about knitting, I'm not going to post in there how stupid and pointless I think knitting is, I'm going to leave it to the people who like knitting.

Conversely, if you feel that strongly about it, why not post up an "I hate NASCAR" thread so all the haters can converse there?

SteelMember
11-17-2009, 02:20 PM
I think Danica would do more good for the IRL, but I believe she's just following the money. Sure she's a good driver, but racing NASCAR is a totally different animal. And besides, look at a guy like Montoya. He was a decent Indy driver, and look how long it took him to learn and gain a shread of respect. It will be even tougher on Danica.

revefsreleets
11-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Montoya was much better than just a "decent Indy driver", he was an F-1 driver, and a good one..he had 7 wins, and was actually a title contender in 2003. He also raced CART, not Indy.

there are a lot of Indy/CART racers who have some success in NASCAR, but it does take time...she will be a boon for the sport for the same reason she was in Indy. She's hot, is a good driver, and offers the diversity and drawing power sponsors love...she'll also boost TV ratings.

SteelMember
11-17-2009, 03:26 PM
Ok, ok. my bad. I used indy car as a general term, and decent is MY opinion, but that doesn't change my point of bringing Montoya into the conversation... To demonstrate the difficulties he went through. Not only the diving skill differences, but the simple fact that he was a repected open wheel driver that basically got slammed by drivers and fans for coming to NASCAR. Although, I would argue he was even a better driver at the time of his transition than Danica, he still didn't get the other "drivers" respect for quite some time. Nobody would run with him... and he was a guy.

Believe me, there's going to be plenty of "the little lady want's to race stock cars, huh" attitudes to contend with. And it won't be me sayin' it.

revefsreleets
11-17-2009, 03:37 PM
Montoya was always VERY aggressive, even in CART and F-1...and F-1 is really the place where they just don't tolerate that. In F-1 they don't like to even be within 100 feet of each other...it's pretty pussified IMO...anyway, Juan came in pretty hot and heavy assuming he was already the best stick and rudder guy on the track, and it inhibited his development.

I'm not sure Danica would be as coc ky....

I'm personally losing interest in NASCAR. They have watered the personalities down too much...she might rekindle my interest a bit...

SteelMember
11-17-2009, 06:37 PM
All fair points.

Im not rooting against her. I just know it's going to be a tough battle.

No matter where she goes, the sport will benefit. I just think she was already on the verge of better things in IRL, as opposed to "paying her dues" all over again.

Christian Snyder
11-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Nascar is awesome!!!!

Fire Haley
11-20-2009, 07:46 AM
nascar sucks

I have a purple car next year

http://www.jayski.com/schemes/2010/cup/diecast/17crown-royal-tshirt.jpg

xfl2001fan
11-20-2009, 12:50 PM

Some people watch NASCAR just to see the wrecks (like they watch hockey for the fights).

Think of it like this...imagine you are driving at 150+ MPH...you know you're driving in a circle with 43 other drivers...and you have to maneuver past them all to win...meanwhile, you've got those otherguys maneuvering to get by you. If your vehicle (and your pit crew) is in top form, you have a shot at a Top-10 finish...but you still have to be a damn good driver. At those speeds, every movement, motion, wind gust, etc...is vastly magnified...the slightest misstep can drop you 5+ places in the pecking order as a line of vehicles passes you by.

I am not a huge NASCAR fan, but I do get the thrill of the race. You see only 4 left turns, but there's a lot more to it than just turning left all the time. Pass em high, pass em low, draft the guy properly and you can propel yourself into the lead...allow yourself to be drafted...and watch a string of cars go by...losing valuable momentum.

My wife loves NASCAR...and doesn't really get football. She doesn't understand it either...but she is learning to like it more as I have shown her more. I like NASCAR more now than I did 5 years ago...but I've also learned more about it.

Now I just need to get to a hockey game to watch one live...with a couple of friends of mine to explain to me what the heck is going on. :flap:

revefsreleets
11-20-2009, 01:34 PM
4 words: Richard Petty Driving Experience.

It makes instant NASCAR fans and completely neutralizes the entire "Just making left turns" argument. 90% of the people who do it never even get within 20 MPH of the governed top speed (which WAS 140...not sure what it is now) because it literally scares the shit out of them. At Atlanta they hit over 200MPH.

tony hipchest
11-20-2009, 07:17 PM
nascar sucks

I have a purple car next year

http://www.jayski.com/schemes/2010/cup/diecast/17crown-royal-tshirt.jpg
i feel your pain...

from the coolest (non rainbowiest, tinky-winkiest) car ever-

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/midnight.jpg

....to this bland piece of blue and white shit-

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/RustyWallaceCar2000.jpg

Fire Haley
11-20-2009, 07:55 PM
Crown Royal better get us some free gift promotions - that's all I gotta say.

It's so.........purple.

I demand free whiskey!

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5294/crown17.jpg

http://www.mattkenseth.com/photos/2005/Events/IROC/17iroc.jpg

tony hipchest
11-20-2009, 08:40 PM
i used to like the I-ROC series before they shit canned it. i'll go out on a limb and say matt is in decent hands with his new sponsor (despite the colors).

purple>rainbow

Fire Haley
11-21-2009, 07:11 AM
There's no difference now between nascrap and IROC - drive around till the last 20 laps then start racing.

I blame the car.

Fire Haley
12-09-2009, 10:16 AM
It's official!

Go Danica!

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/nascar/2009/news/opinion/12/08/cross.words.dpatrick.expectations/Danica.Patrick.193.jpg

Danica signs with Dale jr racing

Danica Patrick, the most popular driver in Indy-style auto racing, finally confirmed today that she will try her hand at NASCAR stock-car racing next year in a car co-owned by Dale Earnhardt Jr., NASCAR's most popular driver.

Patrick, 27, said she would drive a No. 7 Chevrolet in a "limited number" of races in NASCAR's lower-level Nationwide Series in a car owned by JR Motorsports, a team owned by Earnhardt and his sister Kelley Earnhardt and Rick Hendrick, who owns Hendrick Motorsports, one of NASCAR's most successful teams.

The exact number of races has yet to be decided, but they will be mainly before and after the March-to-October schedule of races in the Izod IndyCar Series, Patrick said at a news conference in Phoenix, where she lives.

As a stepping stone to her Nationwide races, Patrick said she would start by driving in a race Feb. 6 in the second-tier ARCA stock-car series at Daytona International Speedway in Florida.

Her decision ended months of speculation -- fomented in large part by Patrick's public statements -- about whether she would try to compete in NASCAR, the nation's most popular form of motor racing.It remains to be seen whether Patrick can reach NASCAR's premier Sprint Cup Series where the likes of Earnhardt, reigning champion Jimmie Johnson, Kyle Busch, Tony Stewart and others compete.

"There's no necessary time frame on that," Patrick said. "It's going to be a challenge and I have a lot to learn. This is a great opportunity to learn as fast as possible."

revefsreleets
12-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Nationwide seems like a good fit...and they start with the Mexican Road race, correct? That's a PERFECT fit for her...nice way to break into the sport...

Fire Haley
12-11-2009, 09:21 AM
don't know which Nationwide races yet - she's still running Indycar full time

Her first appearance will be in the ARCA cars the day before the SB. - at DAYTONA

Danica's first year in a stock car won't be pretty

By Doug Demmons - The Birmingham News

The folks at Lucas Oil must be ecstatic.

Whatever they paid to sponsor the Lucas Oil Slick Mist 200 season-opening ARCA race at Daytona – it was a bargain.

The Feb. 6 race – one day before the Super Bowl -- was likely to show up as so much ground clutter on the national media radar screen.

But not after Tuesday. Not after Danica’s big announcement – the one she’s been mulling over since last summer.

Danica Patrick is going stock car racing. She’s doing a partial Nationwide Series schedule that will bookend the IZOD IndyCar schedule. That means a few races before the March 14 season opener in Brazil, a few races after the Oct. 2 season-ender at Homestead and perhaps some races in between.

But before she does any of that, Danica will debut at Daytona in the 80-lap, 200-mile ARCA race. Her presence will guarantee a media circus, despite coming on Super Bowl Eve.

But how long is that going to last? How many 27th-place finishes a lap down will it take until the media glare moves on and she’s just another struggling open-wheeler who may or may not make it?

Because that’s what’s going to happen. She’ll stink up the track for a while.

To compound the challenge she faces, she’ll be at a plate track where she’ll not only have to get used to the heavier, harder-to-turn stock car – she’ll also have to figure out drafting pretty darn quick. And she’ll get an introduction to something they don’t do in Indy cars – bump-drafting.

It could get interesting.

“Her first taste of stock car racing won't be easy,” said Alli Owens, one of at least three female drivers likely to be in the ARCA race. “She's going to have to learn the ins and outs of stock car drafting. So much of her success will come down to who's willing to race with her, and that's a matter of earning her competitors' respect. She'll need to show them that she can push them to the front and they'll be happy to return the favor.”

If the first win for a female driver in a NASCAR or ARCA race comes in 2010, it is much more likely to be Owens in Victory Lane than Danica.

Owens will be driving for Venturini Motorsports, one of ARCA’s best teams, in her third season. She finished sixth at Talladega last season.

Or it might be Johanna Long, the 17-year-old phenom from Pensacola who has been dazzling in a super late model at her home track at Five Flags Speedway. Long, who started on the pole Sunday alongside Kyle Busch in the Snowball Derby, will drive an ARCA schedule for D’Hondt Motorsports in 2010.

But Owens and Long aren’t GoDaddy girls. And they haven’t posed for SI’s swimsuit edition. And they don’t have a “brand.”

And they won’t be featured in racy Super Bowl commercials.

Danica has all that, plus the only win by a female driver in a major open-wheel series, plus Tony Eury Jr. as her crew chief.

And she’s got guts. She’s putting a lot on the line to compete in a series where she has zero experience. If she flops, her “brand” could suffer greatly.

She has a ton of driving talent, enough to eventually win a NASCAR race. But like Scott Speed in 2009 and Sam Hornish Jr. in 2008 it’s going to be a rugged learning process.

http://blog.al.com/blogoftomorrow/2009/12/danicas_first_year_in_a_stock.html