PDA

View Full Version : colts bob sanders lost for year. defense decimated?

tony hipchest
11-06-2009, 07:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4628597

Indianapolis Colts safety Bob Sanders will have surgery for a torn biceps tendon and is lost for the season, the latest in a torrent of injuries that has swept through the Colts' secondary.

In addition to Sanders, Colts cornerback Kelvin Hayden is expected to miss up to a month with a knee injury, Colts coach Jim Caldwell said Friday.

Also, Colts cornerback Marlin Jackson tore his anterior cruciate ligament in practice Wednesday and already has been placed on the season-ending injured reserve list. A team source said Jackson tore the ACL on the final play of practice and is expected to have surgery next week.

As if that weren't enough, Colts wide receiver Anthony Gonzalez underwent arthroscopic knee surgery Thursday that will sideline him two to three weeks, a team source said. Gonzalez, who has missed most of the season, suffered a recent setback in practice that led to surgery to clean out loose particles in his right knee.

But the most damaging blow may be the injury to Sanders, one of the team's best defensive players. they also lost taiwain hagler for the year....

ouch. no wonder ty law was signed so quickly out of the blue by the broncos. im sure the colts were next in line.

the loss of anthony gonzalez is really no big deal. he hasnt lived up to his 2nd round draft status, and since he has more missed games due to injury than actual td's, he's starting to look like a bust. plus it seems austin collie and pierre garcon have already passed him on the depth chart, much like miles austin passed roy williams on the cowboys depth chart.

The Patriot
11-06-2009, 08:15 PM
I know this might sound rash. But that's it for the Colts.

devilsdancefloor
11-06-2009, 08:25 PM
I know this might sound rash. But that's it for the Colts.

You hope.... im sure they still have at least 1 more good game in them:wink02:

tony hipchest
11-06-2009, 08:57 PM
jackson + sanders being out is like polamalu and ike. i hate to even think of that scenario (even though we are practically living it this week with smith and clark (plus timmons and kirchke being out).

being that the steelers are much more equipped to handle these losses, i think its safe to write off all the talk of the patriots going undefeated.

The Patriot
11-06-2009, 09:17 PM
i think its safe to write off all the talk of the patriots going undefeated.

:chuckle:

I don't know. That feels like a bold prediction.

tony hipchest
11-06-2009, 10:28 PM
:chuckle:

I don't know. That feels like a bold prediction.

whoa.... total freudian slip.

i meant the colts. :sofunny:

MasterOfPuppets
11-06-2009, 10:36 PM
ouch...thats gonna hurt the colts big time. the last time sanders was out for an axtended period of time, thier D really went in the shitter...:applaudit:

msafford
11-06-2009, 11:12 PM
How many games has Sanders actually played in this year? Wasn't he out for most of the games so far this year, except for the last one or two?

tony hipchest
11-06-2009, 11:27 PM
How many games has Sanders actually played in this year? Wasn't he out for most of the games so far this year, except for the last one or two?he just came back vs. the 49ers. its the loss of their cb's, plus him being gone for the year, that is going to hurt.

a. gonzales hasnt played at all this year either (along with m. harrison), but their offense will most certainly be fine w/o him.... just not sure their defense can sustain multiple hits.

HughC
11-06-2009, 11:42 PM
Remember the year the Colts won the SuperBowl? Their defense was getting completely run over, and then when Sanders came back they suddenly were giving up less than half as many rushing yards as they were without him - and their defense carried them to a championship. Even though they are 7-0 without him, this is still a huge problem for them to overcome. Couple that with their CB Marlin Jackson going on IR too, and that's a huge problem for Indy.

This is great news for the Steelers. Indy is a finesse team that is built to play on the carpet in a dome. Look at their playoff record during the Manning era; they are horrible playing on the road in January. They are a completely different team at home as opposed to away, especially once the weather becomes a factor. A couple of losses by the Colts and they lose that home field advantage in the playoffs - and to me they are no concern. Have to play them indoors, and I'm a lot less confident.

Over the next six weeks they play the Texans twice, Patriots, Ravens, Titans and Broncos. If the Colts lose three (or more) of those games - a distinct possibility - they can forget about home field advantage in the playoffs. And looking ahead to January, that's a huge consideration.

XxKnightxX
11-07-2009, 01:18 AM
I dont know about you guys, but as much as a force that Bob Sanders is to the Colts D.......He is just too injury prone and his body tends to suffer. Its as if he was a 5'9 running back taking poundings from linemen and fullbacks and strong running backs. His body doesnt seem to give in and eventually hes out for an extended amount of time. I dont know if its his conditioning, the turf, or just plain bad luck, but at this rate if I were the Colts i would be looking for a Bigger SS or a possible replacement.

Galax Steeler
11-07-2009, 04:59 AM
This is a huge blow to the Colts he makes a difference when he is in the lineup. I am really high on this guy but lately it seems like he is getting alot of injuries.

43Hitman
11-07-2009, 11:21 AM
he just came back vs. the 49ers. its the loss of their cb's, plus him being gone for the year, that is going to hurt.

a. gonzales hasnt played at all this year either (along with m. harrison), but their offense will most certainly be fine w/o him.... just not sure their defense can sustain multiple hits.

I don't even think he is on their team anymore bro. Collie has solidified himself as their slot guy, looks like another Wes Welker out there.

Christian Snyder
11-07-2009, 11:54 AM
That is going to hurt their D a lot.... They'll still go 14-2 with or without him, IMO.

St33lersguy
11-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Sanders is just as valuable to the colts as Troy is to us. I feel bad for him, had he remained healthy throughout his career he probably would have been to 3 or 4 probowls.

hindes204
11-07-2009, 01:40 PM
The colts defense so far has only allowed 13 ppg on average, so these injuries are huge. Add the fact that they have had a cream puff schedule so far and it gets more difficult from here and it looks like they will start to lose some games. Luckily, their offense is averaging about 28 ppg, so itll keep em afloat for a while. I expect to see some very high scoring games between the colts and whoever they play....I still think if we end up seeing them anytime in the playoffs, we will destroy them

revefsreleets
11-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Woah!

Now Anthony Gonzalez is a bust?

He's played for two years. He had 94 catches for 1240 yards and 7 TD's and HE'S a bust, but Sweed is NOT? 37 in year one. 57 in year two. And he was injured in the opener this year so.....................he's a bust?

Really?

REALLY?

Sounds like someone hates the Buckeyes (and a certain Buckeye fan) and is losing touch with reality over it....

#1 Big Ben Fan
11-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Even if the Colts drop a couple games the next couple weeks the Steelers would have to win out for a chance at homefield. But I'm not worried about the Colts at all and I think the Steelers can beat them in Indy. The Steelers proved that on their way to Super Bowl XL.

revefsreleets
11-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Colts always fire out of the gate fast and then lose steam towards the end of the season (well, except that one season).

I'm not going to worry about it too much right now...