PDA

View Full Version : Football's First Lady Designs Fashion In Pittsburgh

mesaSteeler
11-06-2009, 10:58 PM
(I know most the guys won't be interested in this but there enough ladies who might like this article. If the mods don't like it here then feel free to move it. There is a video with the article. See the URL. - mesa)
http://www.wpxi.com/entertainment/21543223/detail.html

Football's First Lady Designs Fashion In Pittsburgh
By: Jessica Fera, WPXI.com

Posted: 2:59 pm EST November 6, 2009Updated: 4:29 pm EST November 6, 2009
PITTSBURGH -- Not only is she the leading lady behind Pittsburgh Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin, Kiya Tomlin is also a budding fashion designer.

I had the chance to shop with Kiya at the National Council of Jewish Womenís 39th annual Designer Days sale where she served as honorary chair.

Raw Video: Kiya Shows Us Her Favorite Designs

Within 20 minutes of arriving at Thursday night's kick-off event, Kiya had picked out more than five beautiful items she was interested in. She told me it's important to look at the quality of the fabric and remember, if it isn't your size, it can be altered. Almost all of the items she showed me were layered pieces and included some type of jacket.

"It's just so complete. You don't have to worry about finding a coat. It just looks so put together. The jacket itself is like an accessory," she said.

Kiya currently creates custom work for private clients.

"I love vintage inspired, one-of-a-kind gowns and ****tail dresses," she said.

Susan Nitzberg, president of the NCJWís Pittsburgh Chapter, wore a Kiya Tomlin original design to the party.

The fabric Kiya used for the sleeveless, floral-print, knee-length dress was stunning. A simple gather along the waistline really pulled the design together.

"Kiya is a delightful woman," Susan said. "I went to her studio several times, she picked out this fabric for me, we made the design and voila!"

A native of Morristown, N.J., Kiya started sewing at a young age and hasnít stopped since. The Tomlin familyís rise to celebrity status hasnít changed who they are, she told me.

"I'm still doing the same things I was doing before the Super Bowl. I'm raising my kids, I'm designing. Really, nothing has changed," Kiya said.

Something that has changed, however, is Mike Tomlinís ability to go to the store without being hoarded by fans.

"He cannot go to the store and shop. I can go to the store and I think they like to see me at the store," she joked.

Kiya told me she loves to explore Pittsburgh boutiques, but is still "a Nordstrom girl."

Kiya, of course, also designs clothes for herself, including a little black number she wore when the Steelers were invited to The White House.

"I wore a little black dress that I had made. It was conservative. I wanted to blend in and not stand out too much," Kiya said.

Between her fabulous designs and her beautiful family, even if she wore a burlap sack, it would be hard for Kiya Tomlin to blend in.

To learn more about Kiyaís business, or to set up a consultation, visit KiyaTomlin.com.

Copyright 2009 by WPXI.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

tony hipchest
11-06-2009, 11:17 PM
excellent article....

she is like the michelle obama of football!

:cheers: to the" first lady" of the nfl.

:chuckle: (im thinking i wont get any positive rep for this post) :chuckle:

Steelboy84
11-07-2009, 12:02 PM
excellent article....

she is like the michelle obama of football!

:cheers: to the" first lady" of the nfl.

:chuckle: (im thinking i wont get any positive rep for this post) :chuckle:

Both are very beautiful women.

:thumbsup:

stillers4me
11-07-2009, 12:17 PM
I think our own Steelers first lady, hands down is more beautiful and much classier than any other aformentioned lady in this post. Coach T is a lucky man.

That is all.

solardave
11-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Both are very beautiful women.

:thumbsup:

Beautiful women and Steeler football. Kind of like Apple Pie and the American way.:tt04: