PDA

View Full Version : Steelers CB Gay fitting right in as starter

mesaSteeler
11-06-2009, 11:30 PM
Steelers CB Gay fitting right in as starter
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/11/06/steelers-cb-gay-fitting-right-in-as-starter
Posted Nov. 06, 2009 @ 11:13 a.m.
By Mike Wilkening

Steelers CB William Gay may be most remembered for being on the wrong end of a collision with Vikings RB Adrian Peterson in Week Seven. However, the way we hear it, Gay has had a fine season otherwise. A willing tackler who notched a career-high nine tackles vs. Minnesota, Gay has been a capable replacement for the departed Bryant McFadden, who signed with Arizona in the offseason. Neither Gay nor LCB Ike Taylor (whose hands have long been panned) had made an interception entering Week Nine, but the Steelers' pass defense had help up well all the same, even with SS Troy Polamalu missing four games early in the season and teams attempting 37 passes per game in Pittsburgh's first seven games. "They just get solid ballplayers on the back end who don't make mistakes," said one evaluator, speaking on condition of anonymity, of Pittsburgh's cornerbacks.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-07-2009, 12:30 AM
Gay hasnt been spectacular, but pretty steady. I think it gets him a 4 year contract offer in the $15 mil range this offseason and he is gonna be pushed by Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett for a starting job in the next couple seasons.

Been basically a perfect situation for the Steelers. If he had a breakout season, he would be gone in FA. At this rate, he is gonna be a Steeler for a few more seasons.

HometownGal
11-07-2009, 07:04 AM
Gay hasnt been spectacular, but pretty steady. I think it gets him a 4 year contract offer in the $15 mil range this offseason and he is gonna be pushed by Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett for a starting job in the next couple seasons.

Been basically a perfect situation for the Steelers. If he had a breakout season, he would be gone in FA. At this rate, he is gonna be a Steeler for a few more seasons.

Good assessment Gonz and I agree with you. I'll take Gay's steady play for now, as I believe he is only going to get better down the road as he adjusts to that starter role.

solardave
11-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Getting plowed by AP is nothing to be ashamed of. Peterson has the strength of Earl Campbell. He'll do it again to someone else. I like Gay and I still say I thought he had a better game against the Vikings than Ike did. I also think there's no drop off between him and Mcfadden.

Psyychoward86
11-07-2009, 12:58 PM
letting Favre throw for a season high 334 yards, o rly :chuckle:. I'm hoping to see the Willie Gay AND Ike Taylor of last season. Those were the good old days. Those two are capable of far more than what they've shown. Saying that Gay has been doing well is being too generous. He's better than this. Both have been inconsistent. The pass rush looks like its back, so maybe our pass defense is going to start look better :noidea:

markymarc
11-08-2009, 10:54 AM
I still miss Bryant McFadden. While William Gay has been steady, he is still learning how to be a full time starter for this defense. He will continue to get better with each game.

The Duke
11-09-2009, 11:33 AM

Exactly :thumbsup:

We're lucky he's not becoming a ballhawk that would get him a big contract in FA

I still miss Bryant McFadden. While William Gay has been steady, he is still learning how to be a full time starter for this defense. He will continue to get better with each game.

I love watching Arizona games!. BMac always seems to be out of position :sofunny:

markymarc
11-09-2009, 04:05 PM
I love watching Arizona games!. BMac always seems to be out of position :sofunny:

Don't get me wrong because I think William Gay can become a very solid CB for us, but IMO McFadden was better. I don't catch a lot of the Cardinal games, but I don't buy that McFadden is ALWAYS out of position like you stated.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-09-2009, 11:31 PM
Didnt see any problems with Will Gay tonight. I think he played well, but I think the majority of Steeler fans have NO IDEA how good a draft this year was with Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett. :banana:

pepsyman1
11-09-2009, 11:41 PM
I'll agree with what others before me said. Gay has been steady but not spectacular. The ESPN guys quoted a stat part way into the game. They said up till that point in the season 39 pass attempts have been thrown Gay's direction with 27 completions (over 69%) He's keeping people from getting past him and usually tackles well, but his coverage seems overly soft to this point. Hopefully as he improves he will develop some greater shut-down skills.

VegasStlrFan
11-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Not a Gay fan, I think we could get better for the money.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Not a Gay fan, I think we could get better for the money.

We already have better on the roster in Lewis and Burnett. Just wait until next season. :wink:

GridironWarrior
11-09-2009, 11:48 PM
We already have better on the roster in Lewis and Burnett. Just wait until next season. :wink:

OSU graduate here, and Lewis isn't the answer. I was never impressed with him. Not sure why you are lol.

VegasStlrFan
11-09-2009, 11:56 PM
I still think of him as the dumb rookie who called out Brady in a press conference and then got his ass lit up repeatedly. He has done nothing to change my mind.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-09-2009, 11:58 PM
OSU graduate here, and Lewis isn't the answer. I was never impressed with him. Not sure why you are lol.

Lewis played press man most of last year and teams chose to throw at Brandon Hughes more. Lewis has the size to matchup with big WR's and challenge in run support and shows smooth hips to turn and run with WR's deep. Not sure what his speed was in the combine, but probably a 4.45.

He's more aggressive of a CB than Gay, but just needs to adjust to the NFL game and speed.

Since you are an OSU alum, keep an eye out for Brandon Browner in an NFL camp next season too. Not sure why he never made it to a camp, but likely will.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-09-2009, 11:59 PM
I still think of him as the dumb rookie who called out Brady in a press conference and then got his ass lit up repeatedly. He has done nothing to change my mind.

:noidea:

X-Terminator
11-10-2009, 12:00 AM

Uh, you do know that that was Anthony Smith who did that (even though he really didn't), and that he is currently watching NFL games from the sideline in St. Louis after being cut by the Packers, correct?

MasterOfPuppets
11-10-2009, 12:03 AM
I still think of him as the dumb rookie who called out Brady in a press conference and then got his ass lit up repeatedly. He has done nothing to change my mind....:rolleyes: ... thanks for playing......:coffee:

VegasStlrFan
11-10-2009, 12:12 AM
Uh, you do know that that was Anthony Smith who did that (even though he really didn't), and that he is currently watching NFL games from the sideline in St. Louis, correct?

I thought it was Gay that guranteed the Pats a loss in Pittsburgh, but now that you mention Smith that sounds familiar as well. :huh: Spose I should have my facts straight :doh: Still not a big Gay fan

GridironWarrior
11-10-2009, 12:16 AM
Lewis played press man most of last year and teams chose to throw at Brandon Hughes more. Lewis has the size to matchup with big WR's and challenge in run support and shows smooth hips to turn and run with WR's deep. Not sure what his speed was in the combine, but probably a 4.45.

He's more aggressive of a CB than Gay, but just needs to adjust to the NFL game and speed.

Since you are an OSU alum, keep an eye out for Brandon Browner in an NFL camp next season too. Not sure why he never made it to a camp, but likely will.

That guy never made it cause he sucked and his attitude was very poor. He lived in my dorm guy was a jerk and had no NFL game. Broncos had him one year and he never panned out. Still not sold on Lewis. I saw him play live, OSU pass rush saved him. He's not all that.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-10-2009, 12:22 AM
That guy never made it cause he sucked and his attitude was very poor. He lived in my dorm guy was a jerk and had no NFL game. Broncos had him one year and he never panned out. Still not sold on Lewis. I saw him play live, OSU pass rush saved him. He's not all that.

The fun thing is we should have a few years to see. I think Keenan Lewis is gonna be a starter in B&G....and Joe Burnett gonna be the future #3 CB. Reminds me of the draft year where the Steelers took Townsend and Jason Simmons. Only better.

GridironWarrior
11-10-2009, 12:24 AM
The fun thing is we should have a few years to see. I think Keenan Lewis is gonna be a starter in B&G....and Joe Burnett gonna be the future #3 CB. Reminds me of the draft year where the Steelers took Townsend and Jason Simmons. Only better.

Man Simmons, I forgot all about him. I think Burnett has a brighter future than Lewis. Lewis just looks big and slow. Burnett looks like he has potential.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-10-2009, 12:37 AM
Man Simmons, I forgot all about him. I think Burnett has a brighter future than Lewis. Lewis just looks big and slow. Burnett looks like he has potential.

Burnett has quickness, especially in change of direction. He is a perfect cover 2 guy or a guy that can play inside in the nickel and get a jump on passes to defend or break them up.

IMO, Lewis played a lot of press man as OSU leaves their guys on an island in that defense and will take some time to adjust to playing off man in the NFL. Maybe Lewis needs to drop 10lbs and play around 199lbs??? I just liked his game and he really impressed at Sr. Bowl week against other top college players.

Lots of times guys can look good in their teams and then show their weaknesses against other top competition in the Sr. Bowl week. Like Macho Harris. Then there are other guys that few heard of that surprise in that realm, like Michael Turner, Ed Hartwell, Ziggy Hood, Eric Wood.

GridironWarrior
11-10-2009, 12:43 AM
Burnett has quickness, especially in change of direction. He is a perfect cover 2 guy or a guy that can play inside in the nickel and get a jump on passes to defend or break them up.

IMO, Lewis played a lot of press man as OSU leaves their guys on an island in that defense and will take some time to adjust to playing off man in the NFL. Maybe Lewis needs to drop 10lbs and play around 199lbs??? I just liked his game and he really impressed at Sr. Bowl week against other top college players.

Lots of times guys can look good in their teams and then show their weaknesses against other top competition in the Sr. Bowl week. Like Macho Harris. Then there are other guys that few heard of that surprise in that realm, like Michael Turner, Ed Hartwell, Ziggy Hood, Eric Wood.

True, Harris starts for the Eagles at FS doesn't he?