PDA

View Full Version : Any car mechanics out there

hindes204
11-07-2009, 12:59 PM
My wifes power steering pump is going out on her 2000 Honda Accord...the garage wants to charge her $500+ to fix it and change the belts. I will be home in about 40 days and told her to hold off. Is this something thats relatively easy to change, i would much rather do it myself and save some cash.

SteelerEmpire
11-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Buy a $20 manual for the car out of the local Auto Zone or Auto Parts store.
It isn't that difficult, just like three or four bolts, replace an O-Ring, and also remember after disconnecting any power steering hoses, to bleed the air out of the pump before driving it anywhere or you could damage the pump. The cheapest way to fix a car is to just get that manual, and just go step by step. If you get lost, just call the local Honda Dealer's Service Dept. and they will usually give up a few bits of info....

Also (and most important) "never " send a female to a mechanic if you can avoid it. Get a male relative to go in there if possible. They will always "try her" with an outrageous quote to see if she goes for it as women have a history and are known to pay for excessive repair bills (and $500 is high for that particular job) with little to no resistance. Believe me, there is a whole science behind mechanics dealing with females....

steelwalls
11-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Buy a $20 manual for the car out of the local Auto Zone or Auto Parts store.
It isn't that difficult, just like three or four bolts, replace an O-Ring, and also remember after disconnecting any power steering hoses, to bleed the air out of the pump before driving it anywhere or you could damage the pump. The cheapest way to fix a car is to just get that manual, and just go step by step. If you get lost, just call the local Honda Dealer's Service Dept. and they will usually give up a few bits of info....

Also (and most important) "never " send a female to a mechanic if you can avoid it. Get a male relative to go in there if possible. They will always "try her" with an outrageous quote to see if she goes for it as women have a history and are known to pay for excessive repair bills (and $500 is high for that particular job) with little to no resistance. Believe me, there is a whole science behind mechanics dealing with females....

Great advice those manuals are the best.