PDA

View Full Version : The Westboro Baptist Church

theplatypus
11-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Is anyone here familiar with these people? I'm really not sure if I should laugh or cry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOrz5k0jWdU&feature=related

Steelboy84
11-08-2009, 01:34 PM
If this thread gets less than 200 replies, I'll be shocked.

theplatypus
11-08-2009, 01:36 PM
If this thread gets less than 200 replies, I'll be shocked.

Did you watch the vid?

Steelboy84
11-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Did you watch the vid?

Yea I saw it.

That's why I said if it gets less than 200 threads, I would be surprised. I'm sure people have "strong feelings" on what that family was saying.

Steelboy84
11-08-2009, 01:40 PM
I actually say this on the dish one night.

CantStop85
11-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Euthanasia is the only solution for these people.

Steelboy84
11-08-2009, 01:50 PM

lol

Man, that is cold.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl::rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl::rofl: :rofl:

theplatypus
11-08-2009, 01:54 PM

I wonder if one of them dies( by whatever means) do they laugh and say it was God's will?

devilsdancefloor
11-08-2009, 02:12 PM
They have a special spot in HELL reserved. I do not know how the friends and family member of fallen heroes handle not walking over and punching a few of them. Id say that is Gods will. He willed me to break your nose & jaw.

Steelboy84
11-08-2009, 02:15 PM
I feel bad for the children. They have to be subjected to that crap.

Steelboy84
11-08-2009, 02:35 PM
"Cause you're a human being, cause God Almighty made ya, and God Almighty is gonna send your a** to hell".- Pastor Phelps

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha hahahahaha, I almost fell out of my chair!

Edman
11-08-2009, 02:38 PM
It's a sad situation in that church. These people for years have been brainwashed by Mr. Phelps' backward logic.

It's Fred Phelps that is the central of hate in that church. He has that criminal ability to feed people his poison and get them to believe it. Everyone else there is at his mercy.

BlastFurnace
11-08-2009, 03:46 PM
This is not Christianity. IMO, it is a very sad display of humanity.

Preacher
11-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Westboro? Really?

They are such old news... I am surprised anyone is even paying attention to them anymore.

No, its not christianity. No, most Christians do not feel this way. Yes, they are a caricature of churches that many like to play up as all Christians.

For another one from the other side..and a whole lot funnier (though seriously blurring the lines at times), see this...

NSFW

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/

Last line of their TOS
Note: Mouse Over Below for Spoiler Alert:
The Landover Baptist Church is a complete work of fiction. It is a satire/parody.
End Spoiler Alert

Godfather
11-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Westboro is a bunch of idiots.

I seriously doubt their Christian credentials. They've made the argument that our troops are on the side of evil and they're killing God's servants. But the Taliban and Al Qaeda cannot be God's servants unless their beliefs are accurate--otherwise those groups are blasphemers for committing evil in His name. If those groups are right as Westboro says, then Christ is just a prophet.

GoSlash27
11-08-2009, 10:22 PM
As much as I disagree with their hatred-filled version of Christianity, I have to respect their right to say what they say and think what they think.
This is the price of freedom.

Shea
11-09-2009, 12:00 AM

God help me but I almost agree and that is wrong.

I know I'm flawed, and I know I'm not highly intelligent, but I know I'm so far above these ignorant assholes and I'm thankful for that.

I guess the only thing to do with these people is to pray for them. But then again I'm flawed, so I can't even do that.

revefsreleets
11-09-2009, 08:20 AM
This is really no different than any other cult. They are indoctrinating (read: brainwashing) their children from an early age, and it's just a slightly different message than any other hate-based cult.

While they DO enjoy the right to freedom of speech, some of their antics, IMO, approach "shouting fire in a crowded theater". There was a time when speech that was calculated to provoke a "breech in the peace" was not permitted, but apparently that has now changed.

The most ironic part of all this to me is that in spite of the fact that we live in a time of extreme political correctness, when you can't say certain words, and looking at certain groups of people crossed-eyed is practically a capital offense, THESE nitwits are pretty much allowed to peddle the apotheosis of hate speech with impunity...

stlrtruck
11-09-2009, 11:30 AM
It kills me that the same people that die for them to have the freedom to picket like that, they choose to disrespect and desecrate their graves before they are even in them.

I'm sure that's really winning people for God by picketing a soldier's funeral.

Vincent
11-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Wonder how they deal with Trick or Treat. :couch:

Godfather
11-10-2009, 09:05 AM
While they DO enjoy the right to freedom of speech, some of their antics, IMO, approach "shouting fire in a crowded theater". There was a time when speech that was calculated to provoke a "breech in the peace" was not permitted, but apparently that has now changed.

I agree with you on this. The SCOTUS has held that there can be proper time, place, and manner restrictions on speech and a funeral (soldier's or otherwise) should fall under that.

If they want to go on TV or radio and say "God hates America" or "Thank God for dead soldiers" they have that right. But abusing bereaved family members at a funeral crosses the line between expressing an opinion and abuse/harassment.